The AEW Discussion Thread

jackmadrox

2 hours ago, Rozalia1 said:

in AEW you have to call absolutely rotten and embarrassing stuff like Marko Stunt, Riho, plus the general tomfoolery that happens. 

Gonna have to deal with that kind of thing no matter where you go.  Last I heard Lacey Evans is pregnant with Ric Flair's child in the WWE so you may as well take the non Vince deal. 

Just now, skidmarkgn said:

Gonna have to deal with that kind of thing no matter where you go.  Last I heard Lacey Evans is pregnant with Ric Flair's child in the WWE so you may as well take the non Vince deal. 

Not even comparable. The angle was done due to RL events and from the looks of it may well be getting shelved after the negative reaction (what happened to fun in wrestling? People okay with certain things sure suddenly become purists). Marko Stunt? A constant ongoing embarrassment. Riho? Even worse as while Marko embarrasses anybody who sells for him, at least it usually is kept short and he losses constantly. Riho is out there presented as a top woman on the roster. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rozalia1 said:

Not even comparable. The angle was done due to RL events and from the looks of it may well be getting shelved after the negative reaction (what happened to fun in wrestling? People okay with certain things sure suddenly become purists). Marko Stunt? A constant ongoing embarrassment. Riho? Even worse as while Marko embarrasses anybody who sells for him, at least it usually is kept short and he losses constantly. Riho is out there presented as a top woman on the roster. 

Because it's not fun. It's creepy just like Lawler being a commentator on the women's rumble and lusting over the women.

7 hours ago, sk_lp_him said:

Because it's not fun. It's creepy just like Lawler being a commentator on the women's rumble and lusting over the women.

Those aren't the same. It's the female equivalent of a guy impregnating say the sister of a guy he hates. Lacy is the one deemed in control of the affair, while the Lawler thing it's a guy lusting on women which have no power in the equation so to speak. 

Also, I doubt we really want to be talking "creepy" in relation to women here, because... if we are, then you know... Kenny Omega and Riho, Joshis in general. These are women who by and large cannot speak English and if even if they pick it up may well never be a solid promo, which you know is what a manager would serve to fix and yet manager heavy AEW hasn't done that ummm... then we have the women getting a lot more focus on the show after... Riho and others could no longer appear... Ummm, coincidence? Maybe, but I doubt it. Now yes yes, some might say "how dare someone put forward that Kenny Omega has a fetish and if women don't fit that then his interest wanes"... but aren't these the same people who will state that Vince McMahon has a blond woman fetish and all that?

To be clear before anyone says something stupid. Vince McMahon is terrible yes, and while I don't wish ill on him, the company, the workers, and the fans will very likely be better off once he is no longer in charge (which will require his death as he won't relinquish control outside that). Not that I think he is 100% wrong in how he does things of course. 205 Live for example was better for its performers and was in general a better show than it all is now under HHH. Ironic that Vince, the big man guy, actually did better by cruiserweights than HHH who on NXT generally pushes guys on the lighter side. I simply do not do this business of "one rule for one, one rule for the other". AEW's women's division is the most mismanaged part of the show and that in big part is because of a booker who should be removed as his tastes has gotten in the way of good business and hurt the careers of many. We can also put some blame on Khan too while at it as he is supposed to be the "final say" but he clearly doesn't care to rein in Omega much as it's the women. 

23 hours ago, Rozalia1 said:

The circumstances behind the angle are irrelevant.  My point was if your going to be a wrestling commentator you're going to have to deal with stupidity no matter which company you work for.  RL events causing a stupid angle don't make it any less stupid, hats off if they wake up and dump it but at some point in the near future they're going to try another stupid angle, that's just wrestling.

17 hours ago, Rozalia1 said:

Also, I doubt we really want to be talking "creepy" in relation to women here, because... if we are, then you know... Kenny Omega and Riho, Joshis in general. These are women who by and large cannot speak English and if even if they pick it up may well never be a solid promo, which you know is what a manager would serve to fix and yet manager heavy AEW hasn't done that ummm... then we have the women getting a lot more focus on the show after... Riho and others could no longer appear... Ummm, coincidence? Maybe, but I doubt it. Now yes yes, some might say "how dare someone put forward that Kenny Omega has a fetish and if women don't fit that then his interest wanes"... but aren't these the same people who will state that Vince McMahon has a blond woman fetish and all that?

I don't think a promo is needed for a Japanese wrestler to be a success in the US, although it certainly helps. Asuka, Io Shirai, Kairi Sane all have been successful in the WWE, maybe not to the level of a Charlotte or Becky Lynch, despite having limited english. Just think the female talent isn't as good as the WWE's and AEW's poor booking doesn't help them get over.

17 hours ago, Rozalia1 said:

To be clear before anyone says something stupid. Vince McMahon is terrible yes, and while I don't wish ill on him, the company, the workers, and the fans will very likely be better off once he is no longer in charge (which will require his death as he won't relinquish control outside that). Not that I think he is 100% wrong in how he does things of course. 205 Live for example was better for its performers and was in general a better show than it all is now under HHH. Ironic that Vince, the big man guy, actually did better by cruiserweights than HHH who on NXT generally pushes guys on the lighter side. I simply do not do this business of "one rule for one, one rule for the other". AEW's women's division is the most mismanaged part of the show and that in big part is because of a booker who should be removed as his tastes has gotten in the way of good business and hurt the careers of many. We can also put some blame on Khan too while at it as he is supposed to be the "final say" but he clearly doesn't care to rein in Omega much as it's the women. 

Wrestling again is rather subjective, I'd argue that Vince's 205 Live in the 2017-era was far more interesting than any of the current iterations. King Neville as crusierweight champion, Enzo yapping away, Gulak's 'No Fly' Zone and Powerpoints, Heel Brian Kendrick etc. Honestly, I was so impressed with Neville/Pac during that period, I think he's a got a great midcard title run in him for sure in AEW if he's ever pushed. AEW's women are poorly booked for sure though, maybe it'll change in the future. 

10 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

The circumstances behind the angle are irrelevant.  My point was if your going to be a wrestling commentator you're going to have to deal with stupidity no matter which company you work for.  RL events causing a stupid angle don't make it any less stupid, hats off if they wake up and dump it but at some point in the near future they're going to try another stupid angle, that's just wrestling.

I actually think axing it is the wrong move. Lacy should continue to be out there with a "hired nanny" to attack Charrlote/others for her. From what I recall seeing from past things like this, a lot of the stuff Miro was involved in WWE in was soap opera stuff which many fans hated, but actually did well on TV. Those segments are different and have the potential to bring in new viewers, something that wrestling as a whole needs as it tanks.

Meanwhile, I've noticed that you keep attacking this particular thing but at no point have offered a defence of AEW's usage of people like Marko Stunt and Riho. You agree with me on them, is that why? Would like to know. As far as I'm concerned whenever they're in action you may as well have the word "FAKE" superimposed on the screen. Yes, Wrestling is scripted, but it at its best in-ring when presented as a legitimate competition where things that make sense are happening. Recently the action between Cesaro and Danial Bryan for example was incredible (always is of course) and yes, I don't expect the large majority of talent out there to be able to do as a good job as two of the greatest talents in the world... but the likes of Stunt and Riho are instantly disqualified as far as I'm concerned. Now if you want to point to WWE then do so if you must, but at least answer the above before you do.

1 hour ago, GloriousFury9414 said:

I don't think a promo is needed for a Japanese wrestler to be a success in the US, although it certainly helps. Asuka, Io Shirai, Kairi Sane all have been successful in the WWE, maybe not to the level of a Charlotte or Becky Lynch, despite having limited english. Just think the female talent isn't as good as the WWE's and AEW's poor booking doesn't help them get over.

Asuka was booked as unstoppable for a year straight by HHH. Under Vince she has still been kept strong though the focus and attention aren't there as it should be. She as a talent physically is passable as while she is on the shorter end, she is... wider? She has nearly 40lbs on Riho hence why even though height-wise they're near each other (Asuka is taller though), one you can take serious while the other you can't. Promo wise as a heel she does the "listen to my language you can't understand as I talk in an aggressive and funny way" and the talk that she acts like a "clown" aren't a million miles away. She has great energy in short which can overcome lack of promo, though she has better English than most of these Japanese women wrestlers.

Io Shirai like Asuka was in NXT is booked like a boss and has a great look. Kairi Sane was the one booked weakest and on the main roster functioned on the person eating pins for Asuka and generally getting beat in Singles beforehand when someone wanted to face Asuka. You don't need to promo much if you're a heater no.

2 hours ago, GloriousFury9414 said:

Wrestling again is rather subjective, I'd argue that Vince's 205 Live in the 2017-era was far more interesting than any of the current iterations. King Neville as crusierweight champion, Enzo yapping away, Gulak's 'No Fly' Zone and Powerpoints, Heel Brian Kendrick etc. Honestly, I was so impressed with Neville/Pac during that period, I think he's a got a great midcard title run in him for sure in AEW if he's ever pushed. AEW's women are poorly booked for sure though, maybe it'll change in the future. 

Fully agree with what you've said. I think Vince being someone who dislikes cruiserweights worked in the favour of the show and those on it as odd as it might sound. To Vince they're all dull flippy guys who people will never care about. As such he went about giving them characters and the success he had in such a small frame of time was incredible. PAC, as he is now, is incredible and yes, he had major issues with WWE by the end, but his current greatness came out of 205 Live. Enzo if not for the police issue would have continued being money in the WWE as he became an incredible heel. Gulak too was very fun on the show and as the other two you mentioned left, the biggest show of what replacing Vince with HHH meant as he suddenly become "serious wrestling guy" and all the interest people had in Gulak vanished. 

Speaking of AEW's women and poorly booked, and this I don't put on Omega so the blame is all on Khan... they're putting matches on Youtube for this thing. Stupid yes, but gets better. Riho vs Thunder Rosa... will be on... Bleacher Report, not Dynamite... what are they playing at? Meltzer has provided a defence I've heard (not heard his direct words, but saw it summed up) which looks like total nonsense, but of course, he has even more reason to defend AEW now considering he gave Khan the best booker of the year award... and then he does this... best booker of the year? What a joke. To not even get into the flood of heel vs heel matches that Khan books constantly (face vs face is more forgivable but rarer on AEW). Like many, I'd always love to see a heel vs heel match as they'd be rare and likely have a really good reason for happening. In AEW they happen seemingly every week because Khan is an amateur. 

Anyway, at some point AEW fans are going to have to realise and face up to the fact that AEW simply does not care for the women. I take great issue with Omega for he wants given time and pushed, but at least he wants the women on there and given plenty of time. Khan meanwhile appears to only want a single woman's match on the show simply so he can say women's wrestling is on the show. I mean damn it... the trash tier men's matches they'll put on there... they can't cut one of them to put on Riho vs Thunder Rosa?

7 hours ago, Rozalia1 said:

I actually think axing it is the wrong move. Lacy should continue to be out there with a "hired nanny" to attack Charrlote/others for her. From what I recall seeing from past things like this, a lot of the stuff Miro was involved in WWE in was soap opera stuff which many fans hated, but actually did well on TV. Those segments are different and have the potential to bring in new viewers, something that wrestling as a whole needs as it tanks.

Meanwhile, I've noticed that you keep attacking this particular thing but at no point have offered a defence of AEW's usage of people like Marko Stunt and Riho. You agree with me on them, is that why? Would like to know. As far as I'm concerned whenever they're in action you may as well have the word "FAKE" superimposed on the screen. Yes, Wrestling is scripted, but it at its best in-ring when presented as a legitimate competition where things that make sense are happening. Recently the action between Cesaro and Danial Bryan for example was incredible (always is of course) and yes, I don't expect the large majority of talent out there to be able to do as a good job as two of the greatest talents in the world... but the likes of Stunt and Riho are instantly disqualified as far as I'm concerned. Now if you want to point to WWE then do so if you must, but at least answer the above before you do.

I'm ok with the over the top silly 'soap opera' story segments personally, I didn't mind the Lashey/Lana stuff just think fans were upset due to Rusev getting buried pretty bad. For what it's worth, I always thought Rusev was a 'upper midcarder' at best, so kind of understand why McMahon was hesistant to make him a major player in WWE despite the whole 'Rusev Day' thing. In AEW, I think he'll also fall into a similar position long term. 

Agree with Riho and Stunt, they are just too small to be considered threatening and have nothing really about them that makes you want to see them on the regular to compensate for this. I mean height doesn't mean that much in wrestling anymore, but usually if they are shorter they are exceptional in certain areas. I think Bryan/Cesaro is a great example of a major height difference and how it can be believable. Bryan is 5'8 and Cesaro 6'5. Bryan excels in technique and intensity, making him somewhat believable as a underdog against bigger guys, even in a scripted sport. Also working out helps, Bryan looks fairly well built despite his height. Same with other shorter guys over the years like Gable, Rey, Eddie, Gargano, Liger etc, they are fairly well built. I still struggle with Adam Cole and can't take him that seriously for this reason, despite being not that small he just looks too lightweight to be considered a major star. 

Asuka was booked as unstoppable for a year straight by HHH. Under Vince she has still been kept strong though the focus and attention aren't there as it should be. She as a talent physically is passable as while she is on the shorter end, she is... wider? She has nearly 40lbs on Riho hence why even though height-wise they're near each other (Asuka is taller though), one you can take serious while the other you can't. Promo wise as a heel she does the "listen to my language you can't understand as I talk in an aggressive and funny way" and the talk that she acts like a "clown" aren't a million miles away. She has great energy in short which can overcome lack of promo, though she has better English than most of these Japanese women wrestlers.

Io Shirai like Asuka was in NXT is booked like a boss and has a great look. Kairi Sane was the one booked weakest and on the main roster functioned on the person eating pins for Asuka and generally getting beat in Singles beforehand when someone wanted to face Asuka. You don't need to promo much if you're a heater no.

I think it somewhat comes down to what I said with Bryan for Asuka, she's got the intensity and technical skills to make up for lack of size and like you said good booking can go a long way as opposed to Riho who doesn't have that. I think with the women size isn't as big a deal as the men as long as it's not against Nia or Charlotte who are borderline 6ft, making it a bit harder to believe. Always liked Kairi, shame she wasn't booked a bit better but it's understandable as the WWE Women's division is pretty good. Io should have a better time on the main roster hopefully, I'm fairly sure she was the big star in Japan in Stardom over Asuka and Kairi so be interesting to see if WWE push her well. 

Fully agree with what you've said. I think Vince being someone who dislikes cruiserweights worked in the favour of the show and those on it as odd as it might sound. To Vince they're all dull flippy guys who people will never care about. As such he went about giving them characters and the success he had in such a small frame of time was incredible. PAC, as he is now, is incredible and yes, he had major issues with WWE by the end, but his current greatness came out of 205 Live. Enzo if not for the police issue would have continued being money in the WWE as he became an incredible heel. Gulak too was very fun on the show and as the other two you mentioned left, the biggest show of what replacing Vince with HHH meant as he suddenly become "serious wrestling guy" and all the interest people had in Gulak vanished. 

Speaking of AEW's women and poorly booked, and this I don't put on Omega so the blame is all on Khan... they're putting matches on Youtube for this thing. Stupid yes, but gets better. Riho vs Thunder Rosa... will be on... Bleacher Report, not Dynamite... what are they playing at? Meltzer has provided a defence I've heard (not heard his direct words, but saw it summed up) which looks like total nonsense, but of course, he has even more reason to defend AEW now considering he gave Khan the best booker of the year award... and then he does this... best booker of the year? What a joke. To not even get into the flood of heel vs heel matches that Khan books constantly (face vs face is more forgivable but rarer on AEW). Like many, I'd always love to see a heel vs heel match as they'd be rare and likely have a really good reason for happening. In AEW they happen seemingly every week because Khan is an amateur. 

Anyway, at some point AEW fans are going to have to realise and face up to the fact that AEW simply does not care for the women. I take great issue with Omega for he wants given time and pushed, but at least he wants the women on there and given plenty of time. Khan meanwhile appears to only want a single woman's match on the show simply so he can say women's wrestling is on the show. I mean damn it... the trash tier men's matches they'll put on there... they can't cut one of them to put on Riho vs Thunder Rosa?

Yeah, I enjoyed that period of 205 Live. Shame guys like Gulak etc just got watered down so badly as time went on. Enzo clearly is a difficult case to work with due to his legal and backstage issues, but was such a great talker he would be a asset to any wrestling company, even in just a managerial role. Character/Gimmick is super important in wrestling, as much as writers like Vince Russo/Ed Ferrera get alot of stick, they always tried to find somebody a gimmick or character to make them relevant or interesting.

I think it's tricky to give best booker of the year to anybody, perhaps Gedo. I don't watch NJPW on the regular but it's always been solid when I have. Besides the WON awards are just like a magazine, doesn't really hold that much value in the grand scheme of things. Looking at the past awards, stuff like best wrestling company in 96 - 98 as NJPW, I love NJPW/AJPW etc but over WWF/WCW at the time.....Paul Heyman as best booker from 95 to 97 whilst Eric Bischoff in 96 created the NWO arguably one of the most iconic moments in wrestling. Loads more could be picked at, he clearly has certain biases.

Khan is essentially playing GM mode, he's done some decent things in AEW but could improve for sure. Yeah, the whole Inner Circle fighting each week etc and general heel v heel thing that goes on would be more impactful if done less. I've always liked heel v heel in King of the Ring, G1 etc, it actually can make it hard to predict who will win and makes more booking sense. Yeah I agree with the womens match, for a tournament  it's pretty silly not televising it. We'll get some filler tag match with obvious winners instead.

Slightly off topic, I should really consider joining a wrestling forum haha!

Edited by GloriousFury9414
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Rozalia1 said:

Meanwhile, I've noticed that you keep attacking this particular thing but at no point have offered a defence of AEW's usage of people like Marko Stunt and Riho. You agree with me on them, is that why? Would like to know.

Don't have any defense (again, my original point wasn't implying AEW doesn't do stupid crap, I was just saying they're not the only ones) because I'm not really a fan of either.  Riho doesn't bother me anywhere near as much as she apparently bothers you but I never really liked her as a top gal.  Marko is what he is, like you said, he's primarily the bump guy for the Jurassic Express (who I love) and he can take the pin when they have to go under, he's also great for making monsters like Lance Archer look more monstrous (thought Archer was gonna through him to the moon a while back on a Dynamite episode and it looked great).  I deal with them because overall AEW offers a lot of things that I really enjoy.  And, in my opinion, they're much better at staying, for the most part, simple and coherent.  Flawless, no, but I like their style a lot more than what WWE has become.

I'd also like to chime in on the women's division situation.  It's definitely got a long way to go, but the ceiling could be pretty high with the talent they have (britt Baker and Nyla Rose had a hell of a match last Wednesday), especially after some time goes by and ladies like Jade can get some seasoning.  WWE's is obviously superior but they're also very, pardon the pun, top heavy.  Once you get past the main eventers the pool's kinda thin.  Don't forget that not a super long time ago the WWE's women division was an absolute train wreck as well, maybe AEW can figure it out over the coming years and the conversation will be very different.

Edited by skidmarkgn

10 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

I'd also like to chime in on the women's division situation.  It's definitely got a long way to go, but the ceiling could be pretty high with the talent they have (britt Baker and Nyla Rose had a hell of a match last Wednesday), especially after some time goes by and ladies like Jade can get some seasoning.  WWE's is obviously superior but they're also very, pardon the pun, top heavy.  Once you get past the main eventers the pool's kinda thin.  Don't forget that not a super long time ago the WWE's women division was an absolute train wreck as well, maybe AEW can figure it out over the coming years and the conversation will be very different.

Yeah, these things take time to work on. As you said it took WWE a while to get things better. With better booking things can change, and AEW do have some good talents who could improve, they'll add to the division going forward as well so it'll help. 

On 28/02/2021 at 3:58 AM, skidmarkgn said:

Don't have any defense (again, my original point wasn't implying AEW doesn't do stupid crap, I was just saying they're not the only ones) because I'm not really a fan of either.  Riho doesn't bother me anywhere near as much as she apparently bothers you but I never really liked her as a top gal.  Marko is what he is, like you said, he's primarily the bump guy for the Jurassic Express (who I love) and he can take the pin when they have to go under, he's also great for making monsters like Lance Archer look more monstrous (thought Archer was gonna through him to the moon a while back on a Dynamite episode and it looked great).  I deal with them because overall AEW offers a lot of things that I really enjoy.  And, in my opinion, they're much better at staying, for the most part, simple and coherent.  Flawless, no, but I like their style a lot more than what WWE has become.

I'm going to say that I respect your views and don't want to come off negatively here in relation to you if it's coming across like that.

What I will say is that I disagree with your statement of Marko being a good job guy. He isn't. Yes, sure, job guys are there to get beat. Seeing them get manhandled can be great. However, Marko is so unimpressive due to his size that you get absolutely zero out of him as a job guy. Archer looked like a monster manhandling Marko? I would look like a monster manhandling Marko. Much of the world's male population (including a good number of the female population) would look like monsters against Marko. I'm sorry, it is what it is. That isn't to say Marko can't be in Pro-Wrestling, he certainly can. Not as as a Scrappy-Doo like face though. I'm sure he'd get over with me fine if he was an annoying heel manager who hides behind his much bigger help. Heck, he can even do his "I'm not scared of you" tough guy act as long as it is plainly obvious that the face is only letting it continue because Marko has other guys there protecting him.

On 28/02/2021 at 3:58 AM, skidmarkgn said:

On 28/02/2021 at 0:00 PM, GloriousFury9414 said:

Yeah, these things take time to work on. As you said it took WWE a while to get things better. With better booking things can change, and AEW do have some good talents who could improve, they'll add to the division going forward as well so it'll help. 

I obviously agree on Jade. Nyla due to her size could be something but has been repeatedly devalued due to Riho and also as it keeps happening, one week she'll have a manager, one week she won't which hurts her. Britt Baker is their most improved talent and worthy of that award she got in the observer, a rarity for those considering what a joke much of those awards were. With Jade requiring a lot more training and time, Britt should be who they actually push as champion. Can work well enough. Has her character down. Can promo. Good look. Has a stooge already to take pinfalls/cheat for her. Also, can you know, speak English. Shouldn't have to say that but it is AEW. Of course, naturally, Nyla just beat her and the word is it's just so whoever the Japanese braket winner has someone bigger to beat. Side note. HEEL VS DAMN HEEL. Booker of the year Tony Khan folks. 

However what you and Fury say on "give it time"... I'm not sure I agree. Talent development wise? Sure. The talent they got themselves overall, let alone the women, are simply not on thee highly trained level of people you'll find in WWE. They will need work and as we've seen with Britt Baker, they have a success story already. However time-wise on the show? Importance wise? No, no excuse. The lessons are learned and known, you don't get to play ignorant of them. On top of that, AEW often has pegged itself as this sort of progressive company that is all inclusive and all that. Yet they treat women like this? Of course, this is the company that said they'd do sports-based wrestling and not be doing backstage/out of the ring brawls all the time... and are doing just the things they said they wouldn't... So I suppose they're just liars. 

12 hours ago, Rozalia1 said:

*snip*

You and I are good, I got no ill-will towards you and I love these types of debates. 

One clarification I gotta make, Marko is a great bump guy which, to me, is different than a job guy.  Darby Allin is a bump guy, he takes insane bumps all the time and often gives as good as he gets, he is not, however, a job guy.  Turds like Peter Avalon are job guys (I still hate that they gave him such a competitive match with Cody a few weeks ago).  Marko's a bump guy, and because of his size the bumps look that much more ferocious.  When Archer Tossed him out of the ring I audibly reacted, which doesn't happen often, because of how brutal it looked and it made Archer look, again to me, like that much more of a beast... not that he needed to after putting a random guys head through the ceiling, lol.  Marko's handy when the Jurassic Express needs to lose a match from time to time but not the cost Jungle Boy or Luchasaurus's any credibility, but it's more about the bumps with him.

The women have begun a solid foundation.  Girls like Brit, Nyla, Shida, Rosa, and Deeb can carry right now while others like Jade, Conti, Abadon, and Statlander develop a little more with time,  The booking isn't great by any means but hopefully they'll figure it out eventually.  If not, oh well. 

And about them being "liars" , that one's tough for me to swallow.  They're still for all intents and purposes in their infancy as a company and sometimes you gotta learn as you go (mostly reffering to Khan here) , they came in with certain intentions but intentions can't always be reality... and sometimes you have to swallow the plan and adjust.  Things like out of the ring brawls are an essential part of story-development and going without them is needlessly handcuffing yourself.  It was naive of them to think they could go that route for sure but I'm not gonna fault them for accepting the inevitable.

1 hour ago, SelectiveGamer said:

CageSideSeats is reporting that it's going to be announced, any day now, that NXT will be moved to Tuesdays starting in April.

So AEW wins I guess.

I think it's just as much, if not more about hockey taking the Wednesday night slot than anything.  Hopefully it'll mean both shows can finally consistently break the million mark from here on out.

52 minutes ago, Infected Elite said:

This Shaq thing is going to be terrible, but we are days away from Kenny Omega kicking Moxleys ass in an barbed wire explosive death match ? take my money. 

Shaq and Jade have to win right?  Hopefully Jade will shine in that one and also get the pin.  It'll mean the celeb gets his win as per tradition and Jade can start off hot by pinning Velvet.

10 minutes ago, skidmarkgn said:

Shaq and Jade have to win right?  Hopefully Jade will shine in that one and also get the pin.  It'll mean the celeb gets his win as per tradition and Jade can start off hot by pinning Velvet.

i think this was originally planned for ppv but they had Sting return, so decided Dynamite instead. Id like to see Shaq knock out Cody, tag in Jade and she pins him. To just brag.  "I pinned Cody, what have you done?" vs pinning velvet. One thing i am worried about, after the match Paul Wight shows up. We know AEW will let him have his Shaq match ?

Honestly, the Shaq match wasn't terrible. I mean it wasn't anything spectacular either...but I didn't completely hate it. Shaq learned some pretty basic big man moves and did pretty well with them, that first frying pan chop he did to Cody looked (and sounded) like it was brutal. And I laughed a little because Shaq gave away the table spot a whole 2 minutes early lol. Other than that it was pretty much a Red Velvet/Jade Cargill match like we expected...and that was what it was. 

Was half expecting Paul Wight to come out though...glad they aren't doing a match between him and Shaq (yet). 

Edited by Viper

16 hours ago, Viper said:

Honestly, the Shaq match wasn't terrible. I mean it wasn't anything spectacular either...but I didn't completely hate it. Shaq learned some pretty basic big man moves and did pretty well with them, that first frying pan chop he did to Cody looked (and sounded) like it was brutal. And I laughed a little because Shaq gave away the table spot a whole 2 minutes early lol. Other than that it was pretty much a Red Velvet/Jade Cargill match like we expected...and that was what it was. 

Thought it was pretty fun, Shaq had the Kevin Nash type moveset down ha!

Wonder who the 'Huge Star' signing will be. Seen alot of the usual names floating around, Brock, Okada, Angle, Punk, Ronda etc. Kinda feel like this is being inflated a little and could be something not as big as people believe just to generate hype. Hopefully I'm wrong!

Who would you like in the AEW PSNP?

Would give anything for it to be Punk.  It won't be, but still, seeing him have his freedom back in a wrestling company (not to mention some of the matches we'd get) would be second to none.  Really hoping it's not another "legend" like Christain or Kurt Angle, AEW did a wonderful job of establishing themselves as their own brand over the first year and adding another guy who'd immediately be associated with WWE (yes you could argue TNA with both names I mentioned but c'mon) is starting to push them into the wrong territory to me.  And before anyone jumps down my throat I know Punk's a former WWE guy as well but his reputation has never been that of a "company man" like a lot of other workers.  I could also live with it being a "non-exclusive" signing with someone who's already actively working in say, New Japan as well.  If it was someone like Okada, Ibushi, or Suzuki... I'd be into that, although I'm not sure what the current international travelling situation is right now?

Like Fury said, I'm hoping high but expecting low.

Edited by skidmarkgn

17 hours ago, Dr_Mayus said:

Can you imagine. Cornette comes out and is the Young Bucks manager 1f602.png

Hahaha, or even worse Joey Janela!

20 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

Would give anything for it to be Punk.  It won't be, but still, seeing him have his freedom back in a wrestling company (not to mention some of the matches we'd get) would be second to none.  Really hoping it's not another "legend" like Christain or Kurt Angle, AEW did a wonderful job of establishing themselves as their own brand over the first year and adding another guy who'd immediately be associated with WWE (yes you could argue TNA with both names I mentioned but c'mon) is starting to push them into the wrong territory to me.  And before anyone jumps down my throat I know Punk's a former WWE guy as well but his reputation has never been that of a "company man" like a lot of other workers.  I could also live with it being a "non-exclusive" signing with someone who's already actively working in say, New Japan as well.  If it was someone like Okada, Ibushi, or Suzuki... I'd be into that, although I'm not sure what the current international travelling situation is right now?

Like Fury said, I'm hoping high but expecting low.

I'm with you in not really wanting a older legend, although feel it will be. Brock seems to be most likely if they get a major star as he is driven by money and AEW have the finances.

I'd also go with Punk as the choice of legend, as he's not been around for years, not too old and had time to recover from injuries. Great potential match ups with him involved too. I'd take Cena too but just for the shock factor, however I think you'd have more chance of Jim Cornette and Kenny Omega hugging in the ring. Do think AEW could do with another main event level guy for now even if it's short term, just to mix it up a little. New Japan Cup is on, so can't believe it'll be a NJPW guy. Of course travel issues as you said will play an issue too!

Khan is really hyping this up, feels a bit like a marketing tactic to me. Wait for it to be Paul Wight signing a contract!

• Like 1