The AEW Discussion Thread

jackmadrox

6 hours ago, Rozalia1 said:

Jericho gets a second promo segment in the back... on his own... just so he can get jumped as why else would he be on his own... then Mike Tyson scares off the entire Pinnacle by himself. This could not be done next week?

Yeah I thought this too, why the same night? Surely you can rebook Tyson. Looked in good shape though. 

7 hours ago, Rozalia1 said:

Don't think I'll give +s as all AEW needs to do is not be excessive/stupid and they can get high scores... tempting to give them a + if they put Jade in the main event though...

Think you may be disappointed. Imagine if Red Velvet wins with a roll-up scoring the upset victory ha!

Anyways thought the show was very meh this week. Liked the Jericho promo, but that was about it. Bullet Club stuff has had it's time in wrestling, needs to move on and stop spillting then reuniting.  

Don't want to be too negative, but this weeks show was not good. 3/10.

The Young Bucks vs The Heel vs Heel Enthusiasts - I feel sorry for PAC... you can tell he knows this is all so stupid. Just examine how muted he is in this match as it is a stupid heel vs heel match with no heat and he has to play the babyface for a week randomly, something he clearly doesn't want to do as it betrays who he is supposed to be. I know Fenix doesn't give a damn as his mind for wrestling is stuck in Mexico if I put it nicely, and he has no idea how any of this works, but PAC knows. Also, I see the Young Bucks are back online and Kenny ain't exactly doing too great with this internet stuff in his promo either... they should rethink this. It comes off as try hard but even worse... Jim Cornette who the Young Bucks allude to online is... a heel to the AEW faithful... meaning... it is heel vs heel... please stop. If you must address him, and you shouldn't, then the way to do it would be to agree with him in a certain manner as he is a heel to your audience. It reminds me of a story Cornette once told about how Ole Anderson one time showed great displeasure at him, as Cornette in a manager match with a woman was a big part of a show. Ole remarked that he was real happy he put in all that blood and sweat into wrestling just to have some "sissy boy and an ugly woman" (to put it cleanly) come into a business and make more money than me. Cornette's response was something along the lines of "On behalf of the ugly woman and said sissy boy, thank you Ole, for putting in all that work so we could come in and get all this money". That sort of response is what they need to do if they really can't help themselves. "Thanks for helping keep the business alive so we could come in and kill it and make all this money". 

Red Velvet vs Jade Cargill - I didn't mind the jumpstart from Velvet, didn't mind the flurry she got in as Jade then cancelled it all out with a big kick... the rest... was not good. Far too much offence was made on Jade by Velvet. The stall suplex is always a lovely spot for a strong woman like Jade and I noticed it nearly failed so needs work... but it also needs an upgrade as she should squat her opponent before landing the suplex. Jade's stomps... need to end, at least until she has worked enough at them in training for them to be good. Rather than stomps have her stand people up and lay in some punches if you want a corner spot like that, though even better would be to stand them up, grab them, and then throw them to the other side of the ring. Pose. Show off that power. 

Ogogo vs jobber - Ummm... a lot of people have a problem with punch finishers when closed fists are you know, illegal. Exceptions exist of course, Regal for example used a punch finisher but always cheated with brass knuckles. This... might work as it is a punch to the stomach the referee ain't going to see clearly. Still, it is always going to make you ask the question... if he has such a punch... why not always do it? The Heart Punch for example at least had the idea behind it that the punch had to be to specific small part of the body and so wearing a guy down to give you enough time to aim it properly made sense. This one... ummm... we'll see how Ogogo is booked.

Jericho vs Dax - Nothing shocking, these guys know how to work. However, the spot with the Lion Tamer was... horrific. Jericho had to walk himself over to Cash to get punched... terrible. Should have told the ref to tell Dax to redo the spot so he could get the hold closer to the ring ropes.

Christian promo and Team Taz stuff - I like that Hobbs got a spotlight here. Whoever that guy was that no sold Hobbs doing the fakeout blow should be fined and taken off the front seats. Hobbs is a monster, you should sell with a reaction if he fakes a hit on you. Team Taz seem like they're going to get put into that old Bray Wyatt spot though and that ain't good. Manager asks a face to join his heel group. Face turns them down. They attack the face (we're here). Face then overcomes and humiliates them. 

-4 for Heel vs Heel nonsense.

-3 as at 3 different moments I found myself thinking "this is too much offence against Jade".

3/10

31/03/21) 1/10 

07/04/21) 2/10

14/04/21) 3/10

Well, there is a trend upward at least. AEW might get a 7/10 next week if they can avoid any stupidity... like you know, maybe doing Kip vs Miro which they've teased this week. Just what people need, more heel vs heel action. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rozalia1 said:

-3 as at 3 different moments I found myself thinking "this is too much offence against Jade".

So the entire show deserves a -3 because a wrestler you're supremely biased towards had to take some offense, in a win mind you, from a woman who was apparently ranked #2 in the division (the commentary team made it a point to drive that fact home during the match)?  I mean, it's your system so do what you like but if you're going to be that harsh it's gonna be tough to take what you're saying seriously.

I have a VERY short list of WWE guys I'd like to see in AEW.  Tommy End, Ricochet, War Raiders and Samoa Joe... maybe just maybe Joe becomes a reality.  Gotta feeling Peyton Royce is lock because of Spears which means Billy Kay is also a high chance... neither of which are on my list.

9 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

So the entire show deserves a -3 because a wrestler you're supremely biased towards had to take some offense, in a win mind you, from a woman who was apparently ranked #2 in the division (the commentary team made it a point to drive that fact home during the match)?  I mean, it's your system so do what you like but if you're going to be that harsh it's gonna be tough to take what you're saying seriously.

I lay out the issues in the rest of the post, the scoring is just for fun. Why I ding them for it is because they have someone in Jade that could be a star, and taking offence from nobodies means she ever so slightly goes down to their level bit by bit if done enough. Ranked 2, yeah, she was... and you know that means all of 0. Red Velvet is a nobody and in no way credible. Could she be something? Sure, but she ain't yet. I don't say this because I dislike her as a talent as I actually do like her as a talent, but this is simply the reality of the matter. She'd have to get out Dark/now Elevation purgatory on a consistent basis to stop being a nobody. As such Jade, the reason Dynamite this week had a second woman's match, should be smashed over as she deserves to be. As I mentioned before, when WWE was putting Rusev over as a monster, he took the littlest of offence (if any) and then just crushed guys and this was for a significant period. That is what Jade needs to do against these sort of opponents. Is Red Velvet harmed if she is simply crushed? No, there is nothing to harm. Though perhaps I used too high a number, maybe a -1 like other things I find absolutely horrible would do better. I'll give it some thought next week.

In time, if they mess it up, I won't even bother dinging them for Jade missteps as they'll have already done the damage. Looks likely after this match... but I suppose... this is to be expected as speaking of Rusev, as Miro, has been laid out by Orange Cassidy and who has done a job to the band of goofs known as the Best Friends...

Edited by Rozalia1

Well the ratings are in and AEW with the monster number. Now granted, it could be an aberration as a result of the curiosity factor... but those numbers seem to correlate well with the DVR numbers they had who presumably were NXT fans recording the show on Wednesdays, watching NXT, and then watching AEW later. 

AEW is also having a perfect storm right now as the evil empire has apparently stopped caring about them. Jericho on Stone Cold's podcast should have been impossible and happened. Talent has been let go without any care very recently. The night change I wouldn't exactly say is part of this though as apparently that was USA network wanting it done... who I doubt WWE is going to be happy with now considering the damage done here. Seems WWE fans are willing to give AEW a chance, AEW fans aren't so willing to give WWE, or more accurately NXT, a chance. Of course it should also be said that my critiques here are things that annoy me (the heel vs heel stuff for a long enough period might just run me off though honestly, as it is simply offensive)... but I would say AEW is far more watchable than most WWE efforts for a long time if we're speaking week to week television.

15 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

I have a VERY short list of WWE guys I'd like to see in AEW.  Tommy End, Ricochet, War Raiders and Samoa Joe... maybe just maybe Joe becomes a reality.  Gotta feeling Peyton Royce is lock because of Spears which means Billy Kay is also a high chance... neither of which are on my list.

Samoa Joe is potentially the biggest waste of talent with the WWE in the last 5 years. I think he's a got bit left in the tank, but depends how hurt he is. Yeah I'd expect Royce/Kay, not a fan of either also. I'd ideally like them to sign nobody who has been let go, bar Samoa Joe as he's too good not to sign.

51 minutes ago, Rozalia1 said:

Seems WWE fans are willing to give AEW a chance, AEW fans aren't so willing to give WWE, or more accurately NXT, a chance.

I'd probably put it down to wrestlers who actually are known. I'm obviously a wrestling fan, but haven't watched a NXT show in quite some time cause I'm not really interested in the talent and have nobody who really hooks you in. NXT generally is enjoyed by many who watch it, but it's hard for any casual/AEW fan to gain any interest. AEW have a few guys like Moxley, Cody, Miro, Christian who people recognise, some legends like Jericho and Sting, and guys like Omega/Bucks who have a divisive reputation amongst fans, meaning people who haven't seen them will watch them to see which side of the fence they are on. I'm guessing majority of the AEW viewers are frustrated WWE fans already, and if they aren't as you stated will pick Raw/Smackdown over NXT.

Either ways still need to watch the show this week, will check it out soon.

3 minutes ago, GloriousFury9414 said:

Samoa Joe is potentially the biggest waste of talent with the WWE in the last 5 years. I think he's a got bit left in the tank, but depends how hurt he is. Yeah I'd expect Royce/Kay, not a fan of either also. I'd ideally like them to sign nobody who has been let go, bar Samoa Joe as he's too good not to sign.

I'd probably put it down to wrestlers who actually are known. I'm obviously a wrestling fan, but haven't watched a NXT show in quite some time cause I'm not really interested in the talent and have nobody who really hooks you in. NXT generally is enjoyed by many who watch it, but it's hard for any casual/AEW fan to gain any interest. AEW have a few guys like Moxley, Cody, Miro, Christian who people recognise, some legends like Jericho and Sting, and guys like Omega/Bucks who have a divisive reputation amongst fans, meaning people who haven't seen them will watch them to see which side of the fence they are on. I'm guessing majority of the AEW viewers are frustrated WWE fans already, and if they aren't as you stated will pick Raw/Smackdown over NXT.

Either ways still need to watch the show this week, will check it out soon.

I'm not sure I can rule WWE being simply just that stupid, but Joe even if not able to go was a great announcer. Perhaps what has happened is Joe wanted to wrestle, they told him he weren't cleared, and he asked to be released.

Ummm... perhaps all the legends and known names on AEW have combined to help contribute it having more presence but I'm not so sure. NXT, like WWE itself, has a certain perception on it which hurts it. I have seen some AEW fans remark that NXT is now doing RAW segments too with the Gargano stuff (AEW does RAW silly segments themselves but it's all good there apparently) and maybe the silliness hurts NXT more than helps, silliness there perhaps because people have attacked NXT as dull more often than not. However, I think above anything else NXT's problem is... WWE barely promotes it on their main roster shows. Another thing that may have hurt it was the The Undisputed Era having such a long run on top... people like heels these days and all that, but I think there is enough evidence that long heel domination kills show interest, which AEW will now have to be mindful of.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rozalia1 said:

Seems WWE fans are willing to give AEW a chance, AEW fans aren't so willing to give WWE, or more accurately NXT, 

I was a huge WWE fans for decades, I even spent quite a bit of time trying to walk people off the edge in the WWE thread on this very site (right about the time Heyman took over booking RAW) but eventually was driven away myself.  Hopefully not forever, but definitely for now and there's one major reason behind it that I don't see brought up very often.  Vince McMahon is a disgusting, reprehensible human being and I personally can't support anything that he ultimately profits from.  Maybe I'm blissfully ignorant about the Khans and am being hypocritical, I honestly don't know much about them but Vince... I know a lot about Vince and the things he has done.

1 hour ago, skidmarkgn said:

I was a huge WWE fans for decades, I even spent quite a bit of time trying to walk people off the edge in the WWE thread on this very site (right about the time Heyman took over booking RAW) but eventually was driven away myself.  Hopefully not forever, but definitely for now and there's one major reason behind it that I don't see brought up very often.  Vince McMahon is a disgusting, reprehensible human being and I personally can't support anything that he ultimately profits from.  Maybe I'm blissfully ignorant about the Khans and am being hypocritical, I honestly don't know much about them but Vince... I know a lot about Vince and the things he has done.

I've seen that come up more after WWE did... was it the second Blood Money event? Some real bad optics on that one even if I don't think WWE is in any way unique in continuing the events. Contracts are contracts, well, the ones WWE has with anyone not their wrestlers as WWE can cancel those at will. As we've seen with other sports and China, everyone else out there is no better. 

As for the Khans... there have been donations to Trump and Tony's father has backed Trump policy and such. I see it come up now and then as to why the Khan's are no better than McMahon... though I don't see a huge deal in it. They're a rich family and rich families outside certain ones that gain Boogeyman status give to both mainstream sides in politics, plus I doubt Tony or his father are in any way friends with Trump like McMahon is, who was able to call in a favour from the US President to get his wife, finally, that job in politics she always wanted. 

I do however really doubt the whole claim at progressiveness/inclusiveness/whatever that they put out there. For a start, all of Tony's EVP's are right wingers outside perhaps Omega who... I just looked up and he apparently voted Conservative in Japan... but Japan is completely dominated by Conservatives so that means little I think. When it comes to minorities they feature Japanese ladies a bunch (the pandemic prevented this in large part, but they made the one they could have champion)... but that is only because Omega has control over that part of the company and he really likes the Japanese ladies, which the detractors put down as him having a fetish... which I think he does have, but if him having a fetish is why they are featured so much is... well it ain't impossible he just thinks they are good talents... anyway, Black male wrestlers, that "old racist" Vince McMahon put the belt on two in the last year, and Lashley would have been champion much sooner if he hadn't left. AEW's most featured Black male talent has been... Scorpio Sky... an absolute nothing who they showed no care for, disappeared, was given a random win... and then put back into a team. Women in general don't do too hot either as once the Japanese talent went so did any sort of good probability that they would get a second match on Dynamite. Some people defend it with "well these women aren't ready, got to get more time on Dark to be ready"... except Dynamite puts on matches involving Jack Evans and other nobodies where they go 10+ minutes. Again, that "old sexist" Vince McMahon features and promotes women far more than inclusive AEW does.

I'm laying this out so you can see how I see things, I'm not trying to convince you to hate Tony Khan or whatever. You wanted some information and I'm providing it, do with it as you will. I'm sure also that they are aiming to "fix" the above mentioned, they'll have to if they are real or fake as the longer it goes on the worse it looks. Tony Khan to me is a much easier read than Vince McMahon as he is so public so if I had to pick the worse one between them... I'm unsure. Vince's main bad trait I hate is that he really does treat his wrestlers like crap. Khan likely being a liar on the inclusion thing annoys me greatly but ultimately doesn't harm anybody directly like Vince does. As for everything else with Vince? Vince never defends himself and gets blamed for basically everything.

• 2 weeks later...

-4 for having 3 postmatch attacks

-5 because while there was no heel vs heel... the face vs face main event was so damn stupid that I'm counting it here for reasons laid out below. 

31/03/21) 1/10 

07/04/21) 2/10

14/04/21) 5/10 (I made it just a -1 for the Jade thing rather than -3)

21/04/21) 1/10

-2 for each attack after 1 might be a bit harsh... but there are times AEW does episodes without a single such attack so clearly they can restrain themselves. 

Hangman vs Starks was solid. Both are great guys that should go to the top. The post match attack... wasn't pretty due to those stomps from Hook. Now I'm no expert on the matter of training... but why is it you get these guys, even guys years and years in the business... they can do 630 inverted shooting star presses or whatever... but they can't stomp well? Punch well? Seems to me like a lot of training out there needs to focus on the fundamentals and not teaching "moves".

Penta was in a heel vs face match. Very nice. I have to say... how his manager acts could very easily come off very badly... but it works for him. Just... keep wrestling faces Penta. Still though, odd that Penta has to be picking up momentum off beating the likes of Trent when he could have gotten it from Cody who just disappears for stretches.

Conti vs Shida... Shida got quite heelish at points... perhaps too much, but that was all I could really note out of it. With Conti defeated... they once again got nobody to face Shida... oh dear.

Speaking of people Shida could face if AEW was smart... Jade. Had a promo where it was said that all the managers wanted to get her, now granted they only showed 2, but I imagine that is so they can run the same promo next week and show Taz/Tully. Ummm... Jade in the Pinnacle? The obvious would be a bodyguard role, like Chyna was to HHH... though MJF already has a bodyguard... but nothing says you can't have two bodyguards. MJF is rich and a massive heel coward so why wouldn't he have two bodyguards? I see no issue. Should be noted that this sort of angle of "all these managers want me" tend to mean the debut of a new manager to manage the person, so we'll see on all of this. Has me interested.

Billy Gunn vs QT Marshall... is this the blowback from people not liking the QT stuff? Him and his boys just getting decimated at the start by 1 dude, 1 dude who while "undefeated" is ultimately a lower down guy as they seem to not want to do anything with him. Smaller guy has it worse of the lot as at least the big guy got a "my head is tough" spot at the end. I like that they've seemingly positioned Agogo as the star of the group who wasn't out there taking hits from Billy and then got to lay him out with 1 hit. His promo in the back was one of those I do like, as cheesy as some might think it... but, it does come off a bit odd when he saying all that with Americans present. 

Hobbs vs Christian was what you'd expect. I did think that... well, they may as well have given Hobbs a victory though. It seems like they're dropping the whole Christian going for the title thing so... why not?

Darby Allin vs Jungle Boy. What an absolutely rotten match to book. Oh they wrestle fine sure, but in no world should such a match be booked. There was some talk of fans wanting to see it or something? First I hear of it, but even if so, you're the booker so don't book stupid nonsense that shouldn't be booked. You have two guys, smaller guys, who wrestle as faces wrestling bigger heels... and you put them in the ring together? It throws everything off and doesn't look great either. Then there is Sting... you know... match wise I think he must have served as Darby's enforcer in more matches against faces than heels. Just strange. Ethan Page and Sky did an attack but I guess Sky at least has reason to be mad at Darby... the save is then made by Archer who... is he face? Is he heel? No one knows. 

On 27/04/2021 at 3:48 AM, skidmarkgn said:

I mean... Brit Baker literally came out to the ramp and displayed her #1 contender status on the titantron immediately after the match.

Totally forgot about that sorry. We'll see if they actually put the title on her because if they don't... dumb.

Edited by Rozalia1

I saw a thing that apparently Jericho has had to speak up again about the repeat of stuff on the show, to the point they now have a board in the back where people have to put what they are going to do on it. This explains also why there have been weeks where almost every match had a post match attack and then the following week you'd see 0. I imagine it'd be Jericho yelling at everybody for being stupid idiots. Jericho loves himself some HAHA, but he has been in the business a long time and knows how damaging and stupid having a show overloaded with jumpstarts, post match attacks, so forth is. However, considering this is the second time... and you have the Bucks/Omega/whoever who may not appreciate being told they can't do XYZ by Jericho... we'll see.

-2 for having 2 postmatch attacks

-6 for Alignment stupidity (even the face vs face stuff is getting real dumb that I'm having to rename this as a result)

-1 for Knox stupidity

31/03/21) 1/10 

07/04/21) 2/10

14/04/21) 5/10 

21/04/21) 1/10

28/04/21) 1/10

Alignment stupidity keeps going up and at some point we may well get a negative rated show. I expected it to drop due to Death Triangle feuding with Best Friends but they keep making it rise.

Cage vs Hangman - Cage (and friends) beat up Page before the match, Cage beats up Page during the match, and then just beats him in the ring. Why? Because they want to do Page vs Omega but it ain't quite yet time... but Page is at the top of the rankings they've set up so unless he takes a loss they have to give him a match... so he loses... dumb. There are so many ways to keep Page distracted, even me, some random guy on the internet can easily come up with... why can't the Booker of the Year? Stupid. 

Young Bucks vs Sydal Brothers - It was what it was. Now I don't usually mention this stuff because it is a constant throughout AEW but it was particularly offensive here, so -1 point on this. Rick Knox has tough competition in the bad ref stakes, the guy who reffed the Penta match is really bad also... something Burg, but damn is Knox horrendous and this was a firable offense to me. The Bucks, who are not twins, do a switch inside the ring. Knox at least isn't looking at the heels as this happens, something that has happened in the past and those didn't come off as bad as this, but after the switch he with his facials clearly realises that a switch has occurred... then just lets it continue, to the point even the announcers talk about how stupid it is. I get it, he is the Bucks friend and Khan is I'm sure a coward, but Knox needs to be fired for his stupidity.

Penta vs Orange - I'm not a fan of Penta's taunting as I've said and it was overloaded here for the spot with Orange. Opening was dumb and sloppy basically. At one point, the ref straight up saw Penta bite Orange and who cares, perfectly legal I'm sure. Normally I'd not call it out but Knox was that stupid. Anyway, rather than the faces foiling cheating and then winning... the faces foil a distraction Orange could have just ignored if he wanted to... and then cheat with a weapon on the heel to win... thanks for coming Penta I guess. 

Blood and Guts promo segment - I don't think I've said but I hate the name of this damn thing. Blood and Guts? Why? Because reportedly Vince McMahon said the phrase in relation to AEW one time... It certainly isn't the first time but can AEW not resist using memes for their show names? Just makes it look like Vince is in their heads, which he is, clearly. 

Did Kingston's demand go from a title match to... a tag match? I hear that right? Kingston throws stuff in a lot and just made what they had to get look stupid. Granted he let Moxley demand the tag match to sort of cover himself, but that still makes Moxley look like an idiot. I mean, they can demand any match... and they want a tag match with Omega and one of his goofs? Dumb.

Ford vs Kris - Well well, seems to avoid it being in the deathslot they put it right before it... ummm, I'm going to watch this and see if it becomes a thing. If it does then it is a cowardly method to avoid getting called out for the deathslot and I'll mark them down for it regardless. Wasn't very pretty. Ford I recall doing a very slow spinning kick... just don't do them if you're not brave and skilled enough to land it with some speed. It looks terrible in slow motion.

Nightmare Family vs The Factory - What the hell were those punches from that guy to QT? Just? What? QT stands there taking these horrible looking punches going all over the place, sometimes straight up missing... then he cuts the guy off and no sells the whole exchange... what? Ogogo kept solid at least. What the hell at the stupid ending too. QT sends his boys to the back... so he can be jumped, as there can be no other reason. Cody Rhodes returns (for the 5th time in a year or something) to attack QT also and within 5 seconds of beating up QT... Tony Khan books a match, something that has happened in the past so not a new occurance.

Darby vs 10 - 10 was given that package why? I guess they felt no one would care so they gave him that to try and make you care but... his opponent is a face... so AEW wants me to root against Darby, your champion and face star... for 10? What? Why? Just incredibly stupid. Sky and Page did an attack and heel/face/who knows Archer made the save. Jake the Snake bothers me every time I see him as he is there off to the side and does nothing.

On 5/3/2021 at 4:02 AM, Rozalia1 said:

Cage vs Hangman - Cage (and friends) beat up Page before the match, Cage beats up Page during the match, and then just beats him in the ring. Why? Because they want to do Page vs Omega but it ain't quite yet time... but Page is at the top of the rankings they've set up so unless he takes a loss they have to give him a match... so he loses... dumb. There are so many ways to keep Page distracted, even me, some random guy on the internet can easily come up with... why can't the Booker of the Year? Stupid. 

Yeah thought it was done poorly too, I understand Page had to lose to keep him away from Omega but the execution sucked. Additionally, I'd have rather the win go to Starks/Hobbs than Cage, not a fan of his at all. 

On 5/3/2021 at 4:02 AM, Rozalia1 said:

Young Bucks vs Sydal Brothers - It was what it was. Now I don't usually mention this stuff because it is a constant throughout AEW but it was particularly offensive here, so -1 point on this. Rick Knox has tough competition in the bad ref stakes, the guy who reffed the Penta match is really bad also... something Burg, but damn is Knox horrendous and this was a firable offense to me. The Bucks, who are not twins, do a switch inside the ring. Knox at least isn't looking at the heels as this happens, something that has happened in the past and those didn't come off as bad as this, but after the switch he with his facials clearly realises that a switch has occurred... then just lets it continue, to the point even the announcers talk about how stupid it is. I get it, he is the Bucks friend and Khan is I'm sure a coward, but Knox needs to be fired for his stupidity.

AEW refs are all terrible, thought this multiple times. Only adds to the chaos of run-ins most matches etc.

Thought the show also was quite poor this week. Last couple of shows prior were more entertaining.

-2 for going over the post match attack allowance

-5 for Alignment stupidity (degraded from last week)

-1 for further referee stupidity 

31/03/21) 1/10 

07/04/21) 2/10

14/04/21) 5/10 

21/04/21) 1/10

28/04/21) 1/10

07/05/21) 2/10

Omega/MT vs Moxley/Kingston - Jr: Is this a Texas Tornado tag? Response: No it is not. Oh dear, never good when your own announcers start burying what is going on. Also, heel openly and constantly uses a weapon in front of the referee who does nothing to get it away from him. Nor obviously does he call for a DQ because can't have a match end by DQ. Stupid. AEW's want to never have DQs is even more stupid than WWE's massive amount of DQs. At least there being a lot of DQs is logical in the sense that rules get broken in front of referees and so the match ends. In AEW rules are just openly broken and nothing happens which means the rules do not matter. The only DQ I can recall AEW has ever done is PAC against... Omega? In an Ironman match getting disqualified, which they only did because in such a match it ain't the end if you get DQed. Post-match attack: 1.

Cody vs QT - In the previous match the referee wouldn't touch a weapon being used. Here the moment Cody gets a weapon, a belt, he instantly is on him and takes it from him. QT then uses a Belt of his own on Cody and... no DQ. Straight up a weapon shot in front of the referee and nothing. Cody's manager attacks QT and nothing beyond him getting ejected, this at least has the excuse QT pushed him first at least sure... but after the blatent weapon shot I'm not going to be kind to the refereeing. Cody gets interference from Red Velvet on QT randomly? I guess substitute Mrs Rhodes was in the post match attack of QT on Cody weeks back, but quite the weak connection to have her interfering like that. Also, if a face is interfering like that... why aren't heels? Anyway, Cody wins a pointless win (QT could have used it) because of course he does though at least Ogogo continues to shine. Post-match attack: 2.

The stair spot was a good one and perhaps one of Darby's safer spots. He did a roll before actually hitting the steps which minimised the time he actually was on the steps. Still going to hurt a bit, but not as bad as it could be. Good on Page for not messing it up because if he throws Darby while too close to the stairs then Darby is in trouble.

Taz's video having an orange tint is fun, liked that.

Tag match. Noticed Kaz tagged Luchasaurus, Knox even started to motion for it being a tag before he remembered that this was a time where the rules are going to get ignored. It wasn't to the hand so it didn't count? AEW is backslap tag city, it is pretty well established that touching anyone anywhere is a legal tag in AEW so in no way do they then get to selectively have it be on hand tags count especially when the match was full of backslap tags anyway. Kaz even enters the ring, as if he has been tagged and starts going at Lucha which the referee in no way tries to prevent. What? 4 way so legal? If so then why don't all the teams just fight it out? Danials, a face, in an elimination tag, makes a save for the Acclaimed, a heel team, on a face... but then the match ended after one pinfall... what happened to it being an eliminator??? Then later they announced a Singles match as... an eliminator match... are standard matches eliminators in AEW? I don't seem to recall this so have they just sprung it on people? Announcers at no point explained any of this.

They sure foreshadowed Orange beating PAC next week. So Omega cuts a lengthy promo on Orange, goes Cornette on him at points... and Orange, the face, just takes it all and says nothing. Does nothing even as Omega robs him. Really? I'm supposed to cheer for a face who doesn't stand up for himself? It'd be fine if Omega had his whole crew with him, then you can justify it. Orange wanted to do something but he knew it was hopeless to do anything when Omega has all of his boys with him. However, Omega was alone so he just looks weak.

Side note, aren't the rankings fun? Hangman loses 1 match and he falls 4! spots, what do you think @GloriousFury9414?

Orange Cassidy 8-0

PAC 5-0

Jon Moxley 6-1

Brian Cage 5-1

Adam Page 8-1

How does the above make any sense outside Orange Cassidy? So the 3 extra wins Page has over PAC don't matter because of the 1 loss? Funny, because on the woman's rankings Conti who has 3 more wins than Nyla but 1 extra loss is above her. Heck, Nyla is above Red Velvet when she has 1 extra loss and only 1 extra win. The -1s are really bad too of course. All have 1 loss and Page has more wins... but he is at the bottom? Why? Cage beat him so you can maybe excuse that one with that, though no one has ever communicated such a thing being a thing (I doubt it is), but then what of Moxley? Don't think he has ever beaten Page has he? Why he is above Page with 2 less losses? To go back to PAC, just number 2 contender out of nowhere because his wins aren't on Dynamite so to a normal viewer they may as well not have happened. He beat bums on Dark so that makes him a title contender? 

Getting really side tracked here, but this ranking stuff really annoys me especially because they had Baker on the show who has pointed out what a joke the rankings are... and instead of fixing them in anyway, they are just continuing it. Speaking off, Baker got the only woman's match, a squash, and it wasn't in the deathslot though not in the best place either... week 2 here... I'm losing patience. Moving your deathslot match elsewhere ain't going to fool me. 

Blood and Guts - Hard for me to figure out what to say exactly. It was positive in some respects. Guys in there really did try and some, FTR the most dedicated to making it look as bloody as possible, really bled out to the point that I think they became unable to do much after a while (Cash especially really looked out of it), even doing the ripping the ring spot because an ordeal for them. Not that I'm a huge fan of the blood, yes yes, I know, people like it because it makes the match look dangerous and so forth. Personally, I feel it is phoney as the blood always comes from the same place and you often get guys cutting themselves openly. Dax managed to cut himself very discretely from what I recall seeing as he had a split moment to do it and likely is why he bled so much. Cash wasn't even on camera when he cut himself but I'm sure had the same dedication. Meanwhile, Jericho near the end on the top of the cage is fiddling with his blade right in front of the world. I take it he had a blade to cut MJF because he didn't do a blade job on himself. On the other hand Wardlow I felt was made to look weak, Hager, his counterpart was showcased better. MJF didn't get a single shine spot. The faces also for ages just obliterated the Pinnacle and it looked bad considering even in victory the Pinnacle come out of this looking weak, they got wasted out there and after getting bloody swirlied... you need to look strong. Once the obvious crash pad came into view you knew what was going to happen. It is what it is. I'd rather the guy obviously not get hurt and if you're going to get a surrender from the faces then that is solid enough reason.

11 hours ago, Rozalia1 said:

Omega/MT vs Moxley/Kingston - Jr: Is this a Texas Tornado tag? Response: No it is not. Oh dear, never good when your own announcers start burying what is going on. Also, heel openly and constantly uses a weapon in front of the referee who does nothing to get it away from him. Nor obviously does he call for a DQ because can't have a match end by DQ. Stupid. AEW's want to never have DQs is even more stupid than WWE's massive amount of DQs. At least there being a lot of DQs is logical in the sense that rules get broken in front of referees and so the match ends. In AEW rules are just openly broken and nothing happens which means the rules do not matter.

Frustrates the shit outta me. May as well not even have refs, they are literally useless. 

11 hours ago, Rozalia1 said:

They sure foreshadowed Orange beating PAC next week. So Omega cuts a lengthy promo on Orange, goes Cornette on him at points... and Orange, the face, just takes it all and says nothing. Does nothing even as Omega robs him. Really? I'm supposed to cheer for a face who doesn't stand up for himself? It'd be fine if Omega had his whole crew with him, then you can justify it. Orange wanted to do something but he knew it was hopeless to do anything when Omega has all of his boys with him. However, Omega was alone so he just looks weak.

Side note, aren't the rankings fun? Hangman loses 1 match and he falls 4! spots, what do you think @GloriousFury9414?

Orange Cassidy 8-0

PAC 5-0

Jon Moxley 6-1

Brian Cage 5-1

Adam Page 8-1

How does the above make any sense outside Orange Cassidy? So the 3 extra wins Page has over PAC don't matter because of the 1 loss? Funny, because on the woman's rankings Conti who has 3 more wins than Nyla but 1 extra loss is above her. Heck, Nyla is above Red Velvet when she has 1 extra loss and only 1 extra win. The -1s are really bad too of course. All have 1 loss and Page has more wins... but he is at the bottom? Why? Cage beat him so you can maybe excuse that one with that, though no one has ever communicated such a thing being a thing (I doubt it is), but then what of Moxley? Don't think he has ever beaten Page has he? Why he is above Page with 2 less losses? To go back to PAC, just number 2 contender out of nowhere because his wins aren't on Dynamite so to a normal viewer they may as well not have happened. He beat bums on Dark so that makes him a title contender? 

I like the idea of rankings if its easy to follow and is logical, but for scripted TV it can put them in difficult situations like with Hangman Page having to lose. Imagine if Goldberg went 10-0 back in 1998 and got a title shot that early in his career. Would probably get beat, and he never gets the long streak which made him a big player back then.

They also haven't explained at all how the ranking system works if it's not based on wins and losses solely. Does being beaten by somebody lower drag them down below them, or drag them up the rankings above who they defeated? Hobbs was 6-0 then lost to Christian making him 6-1. He isn't in the top 5, despite having better W/L record then Cage. Christian also didn't get dragged up into the top 5 despite beating one of people in that position. However Red Velvet, who is 6-1 stayed in the top 5 after being beaten by Jade. It's really odd how it's calculated. 

It just kind of feels like a concept to show that wins and losses matter, when in reality they don't based on these rankings as the top 5 would be different. Also, when most of the top ranked men and women have wins on Dark over low carders, it doesn't really help anybody to get over. Pac last wrestled a singles match on Dynamite months ago. 

Besides, hasn't Miro got a TNT title shot coming up? Hes nowhere in the top 5, so what's the point of the rankings at all if title shots are given out to anybody at any time! (not that Miro isn't good enough, he is, but not logical to what they are trying to show with the rankings)

Either way, think it should be scrapped or overhaul the system to make more sense. Also no rankings may slow down the rate of Face/Face and Heel/Heel matches we get haha!

10 hours ago, GloriousFury9414 said:

Frustrates the shit outta me. May as well not even have refs, they are literally useless. 

I like the idea of rankings if its easy to follow and is logical, but for scripted TV it can put them in difficult situations like with Hangman Page having to lose. Imagine if Goldberg went 10-0 back in 1998 and got a title shot that early in his career. Would probably get beat, and he never gets the long streak which made him a big player back then.

They also haven't explained at all how the ranking system works if it's not based on wins and losses solely. Does being beaten by somebody lower drag them down below them, or drag them up the rankings above who they defeated? Hobbs was 6-0 then lost to Christian making him 6-1. He isn't in the top 5, despite having better W/L record then Cage. Christian also didn't get dragged up into the top 5 despite beating one of people in that position. However Red Velvet, who is 6-1 stayed in the top 5 after being beaten by Jade. It's really odd how it's calculated. 

It just kind of feels like a concept to show that wins and losses matter, when in reality they don't based on these rankings as the top 5 would be different. Also, when most of the top ranked men and women have wins on Dark over low carders, it doesn't really help anybody to get over. Pac last wrestled a singles match on Dynamite months ago. 

Besides, hasn't Miro got a TNT title shot coming up? Hes nowhere in the top 5, so what's the point of the rankings at all if title shots are given out to anybody at any time! (not that Miro isn't good enough, he is, but not logical to what they are trying to show with the rankings)

Either way, think it should be scrapped or overhaul the system to make more sense. Also no rankings may slow down the rate of Face/Face and Heel/Heel matches we get haha!

May as well just have a voice-over guy who says whatever number is needed yeah. What makes this even worse honestly is that if you examine the referees... they are clearly trying to stand out and be seen as "good referees". Remsburg or whatever has quite the body language to him. Knox is jumpy in his, I've heard someone describe it as him being so afraid of ref bumps hence how he reacts to certain things. The idea with referees in AEW is clearly "these are sort of stars of the show too. This ain't WWE who wants refs to be interchangeable nobodies". It's a good notion... that is completely meaningless if the referees are absolutely horrendous when it comes to the matter of refereeing. Aubrey is the referee that comes off the best in all this as being a woman the guys can't take as many liberties with her, but even she gets buried out there at times (usually tag matches, but some singles). 

Thanks for mentioning other cases and I endorse everything you're saying here. It being point-based would help with the Dark factor as beating random job guy on Dark may give you say 3 points, but beating Page on Dynamite gives you 30 points. Many of Darby's opponents recently can be defended in the sense that he is a fighting champion and will straight up give job guys title shots. Miro... not so much. They've had no interaction and Darby did not offer up a title shot to him. Additionally, as you said, ranking wise Miro has done nothing to earn such a shot. Heck, his last appearance in a match was losing a tag match.

As for cutting down on face/face and heel/heel matches... maybe. We have to remember, AEW has evolved beyond face/heel... except most of the time anyway, just at those times they do stupid stuff.

Edited by Rozalia1

• 3 weeks later...

Not done the usual comment on the shows here recently. Honestly, the long write ups and scores seem pointless to much make at this point, think the point is made. 

The show will overuse post-match attacks. At times it will get to the point that it gets completely silly (those shows where near/every match has one), they'll take heat, and then post match attacks will disappear from the show for 2 weeks or so before the post match attack lunacy starts dialing back up again.

The refereeing will continue to be horrible as AEW's wrestlers in large part cannot function seemingly without the referees allowing them to be outside the ring for eternity and basically allowing them to blatantly break the rules. Breaking the rules is of course a staple in wrestling and should be done by heels (unless they're non-cheating heels)... however... that is breaking the rules in secret from the referee. If you do it in front of the referee like so often happens in AEW you just make a mockery of the whole thing. Of course the referees themselves are largely doomed anyway when they have over their heads the order from Tony Khan to not do DQs because Tony read one time in the Observer Dave complaining about WWE doing too many DQs so he thinks if he does zero DQs then he is "smart". 

The women will continue to be presented as a complete afterthought and booked in the deathslots, only really getting a match on Dynamite because AEW has to have at least 1 such match on the show as otherwise more of their fans will wise up to the complete disrespect AEW management has for women. One thing I've had AEW fans say to me was once that new show happens then the women will get more time on important shows (is getting more time on a B show the best that can be done?)... but Tony has already talked about how he wants a "Trios" title so that extra time will just get largely eaten up by that I'm sure. What a joy by the way. People complain about WWE doing too many of those and AEW will make a division for them. The heel vs heel enthusiasts I'm sure will be all over it  

Now, not exactly the best time to make this comment considering his recent promo has been attacked pretty harshly, but the only guy at the top that seems to contribute any positives is Cody Rhodes. It's not exactly shocking that report that apparently the EVPs aren't on speaking terms, with the obvious reality being Cody not being good with the rest. If I was him I'd be extremely annoyed with the Bucks/Omega also as Cody is the only one actually trying to build anyone up it seems. Ogogo and Jade before him were Cody people and I'm sure if I bothered to think further back I could name others. Meanwhile... what have the Bucks and Omega done? Bucks brought in FTR to book them bizarrely and put themselves over them. Other teams have hardly faired well. Fenix, someone who could be the next Rey Mysterio, big time Latin star that would bring in the big bucks... and what have the Bucks done to get Fenix over and to the big time? Well, he often isn't on the show for a start and if he is... he is a heel... playing second fiddle to his brother/PAC at that. Then you have Omega who once his favourite Japanese waifus couldn't be present anymore lost complete interest seemingly. Not that when he had interest it was any good of course considering they had the Native Beast, Nyla Rose, someone who could be a big deal... job out to Riho... hard to be taken seriously as a massive monster when people can remember you jobbing out to such a tiny women like that, and AEW knows this considering they have since then jobbed Nyla out to others without much issue.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, skidmarkgn said:

What I would give to see a Tommy End/Ruby Riot/Darby Allin faction be formed... make it happen AEW!!

AEW needs to be picky I think, is difficult as this batch of releases talent wise are potentially good additions to AEW but the AEW roster is huge. 

I'd still rather Bryan goes to AEW than the released talents. Still think he'll stay with the WWE, or go to NJPW. I think End/Riot would be very likely though, very good fit for AEW. 

Where are those talents going to slot in exactly? AEW is so bloated already that I don't see where you can slot in those talents unless of course you do a Miro and bring in so you can make him a goof playing around with jokes for 6 months or whatever. 

The only one that could easily work is Riot, or Loveless we'll be soon saying, as she is a woman and she will be miles ahead of almost every woman on the AEW roster when it comes to working. There is the issue of a WWE jobber becoming a big deal in another company presentation wise... but who cares when AEW shows the women such disrespect anyway. 

As for the shows. To keep it brief. Refereeing was again a joke. I've heard talk AEW will be doing a corrupt referee angle to cover for their terrible refereeing... could you know... just improve the refereeing... too much to ask for I guess. A lot of WWE cosplaying as usual. Pinnacle, no, Pineapple because that is the name they deserve, is a joke. These goofs are supposed to be some elite faction and what have we seen from them? Lets run through the events we've seen.

1: They form and do a surprise attack on the Inner Circle.

2: Two weeks later they get surprise attacked themselves and get utterly humiliated, Inner Circle getting their revenge several times over.

3: Blood and Guts. They have the advantage for the match and Pineapple gets utterly obliterated in the ring. 5+ minutes we had on our screens the Pineapple being utterly dominated with no difficulty by the Inner Circle. MJF wins via trickery after his team is made to look a joke. Side note... Tully ever get punished for taking out a referee? What Omega who just did that too? I recall Nyla getting in trouble for it so why does nothing happen to them? Booker of the year, moving on. 

4: Tomfoolery happens where both groups get the other. Pineapple get the final blow though with the piledrivers... keep this in mind considering the result of the match they go into.

5: This brings us to Stadium Stampede, great choice by the way to have this match for the fans to watch on the screens when you could have this first and have the fans see Blood and Guts. Again, Pineapple gets trounced. 

The faction has been booked to be weak, but why wouldn't it be. FTR, MJF, some threats there.

Speaking of jokes. Joey Janella needs to be fired for being a joke, incompetent, and reckless. 

The rating are out too and they're at the 500k range, coming in below NXT. Now yes, new and late timeslot, but Smackdown doesn't get afforded that excuse and there is seemingly always some excuse. Seriously, every time AEW has a bad number, which is often, there is always something that is happening that is to blame. 

58 minutes ago, Rozalia1 said:

1 - Where are those talents going to slot in exactly? AEW is so bloated already that I don't see where you can slot in those talents unless of course you do a Miro and bring in so you can make him a goof playing around with jokes for 6 months or whatever. 

2 - The rating are out too and they're at the 500k range, coming in below NXT. Now yes, new and late timeslot, but Smackdown doesn't get afforded that excuse and there is seemingly always some excuse. Seriously, every time AEW has a bad number, which is often, there is always something that is happening that is to blame. 

1 - If they're in the process of making another show (believe it's gonna be called Rampage(?) then the pressure valve can be pulled and hopefully more talent can be showcased more consistently.

2 - If a preempted show that aired on a holiday weekend isn't a legit reason for numbers that low then I don't know what is.  Pretty sure the general consensus was RAW, Smackdown and AEW were gonna do shit numbers well before any of them aired because it was a holiday weekend, it's just basic logic, all 3 will be back in their average range this week (AEW might even be a little above average because it's a post PPV show) and life will go on.

You've also broke me and now I have to ask, you've been pissing on every show for long enough now that I'm curious why you still watch?  Nothing good is EVER posted by you here and if the show doesn't provide any joy why watch?  Also, this isn't sarcasm or an attempt to start a fight, you can and should always do you, I'm just legitimately curious, because from top to bottom, Double or Nothing was very well received.  The tag title match was entertaining and Kingston's real life story has been as feel good as it gets.  Sting went out there and gave a showing that no one thought he was still capable of and if it was his last hurrah, it was a great way to go out.  Page and Cage advanced a story that, I'll admit, looked like it was forgotten for a time but apparently isn't.  Britt deservedly won the title, Miro's push is continuing, The triple threat was non-stop entertaining, the Stadium Stampede was a great representation of coming full circle for the year and the crowd was H-O-T.  However all you write is "the refs suck and The Pinnacle's weak".  I'm not saying the show was perfect  There was far too much outside interference, the reffing is an issue and their Battle royals aren't ever that great (good to see Jungle Boy get the rub though).  Those things considered, there were still (to me at least) a lot more highs than lows.

When the WWE got to the point I wasn't enjoying anything I was watching, I stopped, and so far I haven't wanted to come back.  I still pay attention to what they do week to week hoping for change but until it comes... I'm out, and feel much better for it.

Edited by skidmarkgn

31 minutes ago, skidmarkgn said:

1 - If they're in the process of making another show (believe it's gonna be called Rampage(?) then the pressure valve can be pulled and hopefully more talent can be showcased more consistently.

2 - If a preempted show that aired on a holiday weekend isn't a legit reason for numbers that low then I don't know what is.  Pretty sure the general consensus was RAW, Smackdown and AEW were gonna do shit numbers well before any of them aired because it was a holiday weekend, it's just basic logic, all 3 will be back in their average range this week (AEW might even be a little above average because it's a post PPV show) and life will go on.

You've also broke me and now I have to ask, you've been pissing on every show for long enough now that I'm curious why you still watch?  Nothing good is EVER posted by you here and if the show doesn't provide any joy why watch?  Also, this isn't sarcasm or an attempt to start a fight, you can and should always do you, I'm just legitimately curious, because from top to bottom, Double or Nothing was very well received.  The tag title match was entertaining and Kingston's real life story has been as feel good as it gets.  Sting went out there and gave a showing that no one thought he was still capable of and if it was his last hurrah, it was a great way to go out.  Page and Cage advanced a story that, I'll admit, looked like it was forgotten for a time but apparently isn't.  Britt deservedly won the title, Miro's push is continuing, The triple threat was non-stop entertaining, the Stadium Stampede was a great representation of coming full circle for the year and the crowd was H-O-T.  However all you write is "the refs suck and The Pinnacle's weak".  I'm not saying the show was perfect  There was far too much outside interference, the reffing is an issue and their Battle royals aren't ever that great (good to see Jungle Boy get the rub though).  Those things considered, there were still (to me at least) a lot more highs than lows.

When the WWE got to the point I wasn't enjoying anything I was watching, I stopped, and so far I haven't wanted to come back.  I still pay attention to what they do week to week hoping for change but until it comes... I'm out, and feel much better for it.

1 - Khan has put forward doing trios and you add in the fact the women need far more time. That extra time really starts to vanish. 

2 - Of course, however when it happens every time it wears thin. AEW got a much boosted audience due to NXT's retreat which they held for 2 weeks I think it was and it has decayed significantly since to the point they're back to where they were. That is what should be looked at, why did they run those people off, and not what popular show existed in the same time slot that must have damaged AEW. 

3 - By the end I was watching RAW in chunks, at times just 20 min chunks as I couldn't much stand more. The show was pointless, it was horrid, and the people on it deserved more which you knew they weren't going to get. I will persist for a while don't worry.

I commend you for always putting forward these things in a positive manner and I will try to explain to you my side of things. As I've said, AEW is certainly watchable. If you were to take a show on it's own it would certainly look better, but I never look at things like this in a vacuum. What happened before, what do present events look to be building to, what does this do to the perception of people, things like that. I'm not going to belabour this by doing a lot of text unless you really need explaining... but basically everything you mentioned had problems leading up to the event. The match they have could be a great match, 7! stars from Meltzer... and it is hurt by everything that lead up to it. 

To not even get to the long term issues, some which you mentioned. Bad refereeing. Women getting scraps. Jumpstarts/Interference/post match attacks again and again. Stuff repeating on the same show. Large amounts of heel vs heel matches. Face vs Face matches which should be fine having weird issues at times too. Battle royal nonsense (not against them, they're just always stupid in AEW). These things all hurt the program bit by bit and it runs people off. Hardcore fans may block it out, but it matters. Heck, even I was blocking some of it simply due to simply forgetting stuff. Noting the interference insanity, the heel vs heel matches, the refereeing week to week... it became clear just how bad the rot is. When I started that rating system I thought I'd have to retire it soon after as the insanity would slow down heavily as criticism for it came in... instead it creeped up and up.