Assassin's Creed: Valhalla Officially Announced (17 November 2020)

3 hours ago, majob said:

A bit annoyed they're painting the English as the antagonists when it was the Vikings who invaded and pillaged but eh.

Edit: How funny they announce the game on THORSday, heh....

I imagine it won't be so black and white. There's always been gray areas in Assassin's Creed games. Probably heroes and villains on both sides.

6 minutes ago, MidnightDragon said:

I imagine it won't be so black and white. There's always been gray areas in Assassin's Creed games. Probably heroes and villains on both sides.

True but sometimes the grey area is so small it's barely there like Unity.

5 hours ago, PerryToxteth said:

In previous AC titles, you would get kicked out of the Animus for killing too many innocent civilians. How is that rule going to translate to a Viking game??? :hmm:

Wasn't the message something like "Ezio did not kill civilians"?

Well... there's a very easy fix for it...

• Like 1

Looking to pre-order...Anyone know if we can pre-order for PS5? I only see the PS4 option. Also, would like the steelbook case so if I pre-order the PS4 version Gold edition would it be the same for PS5? Should I wait until pre-order details for PS5 come out?

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2020/04/assassins_creed_valhalla_pre-order_info_and_retail_editions_detailed

https://store.ubi.com/us/game/?lang=en_US&pid=5e849e115cdf9a21c0b4e735&dwvar_5e849e115cdf9a21c0b4e735_Platform=ps4&edition=Gold Edition&source=detail

https://www.ign.com/articles/assassins-creed-valhalla-release-date-collectors-edition

• Like 1

Well, they haven't made the Vikings out to be degenerate rapists, so that's a plus. Historically inaccurate as nobs though.Those outfits are atrocious. At the risk of being 'politically incorrect' I will say that women fighters in Norse society is pure bollocks. Consider that they lived in a tribal society fraught with danger from the elements, predators etc. Sending the people who were able to have children and whose role it was to educate and pass tradition on to those children is a bad idea, they would have died out very quickly. (A little tidbit. The women's role as bearers of tradition is why you had the 'witch hunts' i.e. destroying a people by cutting the roots).

Anyone expressing concern about Vikings being portrayed as heroes might want to look into how the raids came after the Massacre of Verden and attempts to Christianize Scandinavia. Also the claims that Vikings raped women on their raids were first made over 100 years after the Viking Age had already ended and Scandinavia was largely Christianized.

[EDIT] I should clarify that I don't have a problem with the ability to play as a female character. I understand and fully embrace the idea that certain concessions need to be made in terms of historical accuracy to make an entertaining game. I only say that people shouldn't take this as historical fact. I'm genuinely looking forward to this game, it's the first AC game in a while to have caught my interest.

Edited by SpaghettiGrabsy
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, SpaghettiGrabsy said:

Well, they haven't made the Vikings out to be degenerate rapists, so that's a plus. Historically inaccurate as nobs though.Those outfits are atrocious. At the risk of being 'politically incorrect' I will say that women fighters in Norse society is pure bollocks. Consider that they lived in a tribal society fraught with danger from the elements, predators etc. Sending the people who were able to have children and whose role it was to educate and pass tradition on to those children is a bad idea, they would have died out very quickly. (A little tidbit. The women's role as bearers of tradition is why you had the 'witch hunts' i.e. destroying a people by cutting the roots).

Anyone expressing concern about Vikings being portrayed as heroes might want to look into how the raids came after the Massacre of Verden and attempts to Christianize Scandinavia. Also the claims that Vikings raped women on their raids were first made over 100 years after the Viking Age had already ended and Scandinavia was largely Christianized.

[EDIT] I should clarify that I don't have a problem with the ability to play as a female character. I understand and fully embrace the idea that certain concessions need to be made in terms of historical accuracy to make an entertaining game. I only say that people shouldn't take this as historical fact. I'm genuinely looking forward to this game, it's the first AC game in a while to have caught my interest.

Is it though?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birka_female_Viking_warrior

And if danger came from all sides and could come at any time, it'd make sense for everyone, not just the men to know basic combat skills for self defense even if they're not on the front lines.
Someone has to defend the village while the majority of men were away for war or whatever.

Edited by Seraphim_Rez

30 minutes ago, Seraphim_Rez said:

Yes. Judith Jesch, a professor of Viking studies at the University of Nottingham wrote the following. I'll post the more pertinent parts, given that reading the whole thing is a bit of a slog.

(3) Having concluded, to their own satisfaction, that the deceased in Bj 581 was indeed a female warrior, the authors go on to conclude, with very little discussion or justification, that she was 'a high-ranking officer', based apparently on the fact that the burial contained 'a full set of gaming pieces' which apparently 'indicates knowledge of tactics and strategy'. Another factor which may have led them to this conclusion, though it is not stated explicitly, is the fact that they determined that the individual was 'at least above 30 years of age'. By the end of the article, 'the individual in grave Bj 581 is the first confirmed female high-ranking warrior', because 'the exclusive grave goods and two horses are worthy of an individual with responsibilities concerning strategy and battle tactics'. All this seems to me to move rather quickly from evidence to speculation which is presented as fact.

(4) The authors also note that there were 'No pathological or traumatic injuries' observed on the skeleton. They point out that 'weapon related wounds ... are not common in the inhumation burials at Birka' and elsewhere, so apparently the 'warriors' of these graves were either so good that they were never injured, or perhaps they weren't really 'warriors' at all. According to the authors 'our results caution against sweeping interpretations based on archaeological contexts and preconceptions' - they do not seem to recognise that if they take this principle to its logical conclusion, the interpretation of this and many other graves as 'warrior' graves is thereby called into question. They can't have their cake and eat it too. They also say nothing about whether there was any indication on the bones of the kinds of activities one might expect a warrior to have engaged in, as strenuous physical activity might be expected to have left some traces, particularly if they were good enough to avoid injury to themselves.

(5) Although the authors point out that 'previous arguments have ... neglected intersectional perspectives' they do not really pursue alternative explanations regarding Bj 581 either. Was it possible, for example, for a biological woman to have been buried with a full 'warrior' accoutrement, even if she had not been a warrior in life? After all, archaeologists are always cautioning us that 'the dead don't bury themselves' and they often seem not to like interpretations in which the deceased's grave goods are taken as representing their roles in life. But such perspectives do not seem to be applied here - they want the woman to be a warrior, so the scientific analysis makes her a woman and her 'archaeological context' makes her a warrior. No doubt other explanations are possible, still assuming that the bones have been correctly assigned to the grave-goods, but discussion of such alternatives would rather detract from that arresting title, and would probably have ruled out publication in the American Journal of Physical Anthropology. The authors might have been better advised to keep this article to the purely scientific data, and leave the interpretation of it to other contexts which might have given them more space to reason more carefully.

As for why she was buried with such items, that's up for debate. Perhaps her body was moved there after, or the items moved there after. One particular theory about this burial practice that I find interesting - as laid out in The Secret of the She-Bear by Marie Cachet - is a sort of reincarnation ritual where the deceased were buried with family heirlooms to assist future generations, who would recover them from the burial mounds, in remembering their previous lives. It's a rather big rabbit hole and I haven't done it justice here, but it's a very interesting theory that I think hold water.

55 minutes ago, Seraphim_Rez said:

And if danger came from all sides and could come at any time, it'd make sense for everyone, not just the men to know basic combat skills for self defense even if they're not on the front lines.
Someone has to defend the village while the majority of men were away for war or whatever.

Absolutely. The women were effectively the last line of defense in that context. I was referring more specifically to front-line combat, raids etc. I should have made that clearer.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MrTrofyHunter said:

Looking to pre-order...Anyone know if we can pre-order for PS5? I only see the PS4 option. Also, would like the steelbook case so if I pre-order the PS4 version Gold edition would it be the same for PS5? Should I wait until pre-order details for PS5 come out?

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2020/04/assassins_creed_valhalla_pre-order_info_and_retail_editions_detailed

https://store.ubi.com/us/game/?lang=en_US&pid=5e849e115cdf9a21c0b4e735&dwvar_5e849e115cdf9a21c0b4e735_Platform=ps4&edition=Gold Edition&source=detail

https://www.ign.com/articles/assassins-creed-valhalla-release-date-collectors-edition

It’s been confirmed you will get the XSX version if you get it for X1. Dunno if it’ll be the same with PS4/PS5. They’ll likely open up the next gen preorders closer to time. 

5 hours ago, SpaghettiGrabsy said:

Maybe so. Still, Spartan women weren’t warriors, but didn’t stop Kass from being the canon character in Odyssey. And while there is a historical bent to all AC titles, it’s more meant to entertain. Still hoping for a Discovery Tour DLC at some point.

Edited by MidnightDragon
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, SpaghettiGrabsy said:

Well, they haven't made the Vikings out to be degenerate rapists, so that's a plus. Historically inaccurate as nobs though.Those outfits are atrocious. 

Nice to see someone with a passion for Viking culture. I seem to recall from your trophy checklist that your name is Erik, so I figured you might have Scandinavian ancestry. And yes, atrocious is one word to use for the outfits. No offence to the people of Vinland but my first thought when seeing the armours was "Ah, so they went with the American LARPers' wet dream." Reminded me a bit of that HBO show I lost an interest in.

Still, this is an AC game so I obviously didn't expect historical accuracy. The trailer looks badass though. Will wait for more gameplay footage, but if Ubisoft plays their cards right it may be an early purchase for me. All I know is it's gonna be good to be chieftain when it's time for the boys to clean their faces. ?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, SinisterPledge said:

I seem to recall from your trophy checklist that your name is Erik, so I figured you might have Scandinavian ancestry.

Yep. Saxon and as I've recently learned Swedish (ok so not entirely Scandinavian, but it's all Germanic if you trace it back). I find Norse and Germanic culture/myth a hell (Hel, if you will ?) of a lot more interesting that most of anything modern.

36 minutes ago, SinisterPledge said:

Reminded me a bit of that HBO show I lost an interest in.

Characters name: Þórrfinn (as in Thor-finn, for those who aren't familiar with Norse)

HBO: pOrFiNn

They didn't even try consulting anyone with an ounce of knowledge.

I'm still interested in the game though.

Edited by SpaghettiGrabsy
  • Like 1

Assassin’s Creed Valhalla lets you have homosexual romances

Narrative Director Darby McDevitt said that homosexual relationships will be possible.

“Yeah — there’s a lot of romances to have that can be found all over the map,” he said, “and you can choose how to approach them any way you see fit.”