Assassin's Creed: Valhalla Officially Announced (17 November 2020)

I’m simultaneously excited and apprehensive. After Origins (which I personally loved) I was hyped for Odyssey but I really didn’t enjoy that. Again, that’s just personal opinion, I know some people really love it, I just couldn’t get away with it. 

I’m gonna hedge my bets a bit more with this one. I won’t go in expecting much and hopefully I’ll be pleasantly surprised. Artwork is gorgeous though.

I am curious about how they’re going to take people primarily known for invading and pillaging (and it seems from the artwork that we’ll be playing someone actively involved in that) and cast them as Assassins. Unless Englands monarchy are Templars which they’re overthrowing, which actually be a would be a pretty good plot. 

Edited by RedDeadWitcher93

There’s apparent rumours the protagonist is part of the Kenway Bloodline.

Also Darby McDevit is returning:
“As an employee of Ubisoft, McDevitt has been the script writer for both the story and dialogue in Assassin's Creed: Bloodlines, Assassin's Creed II: Discovery, Assassin's Creed: Embers and Assassin's Creed Unity, as well as was the lead writer for Assassin's Creed: Revelations and Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag’’

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Gladiator995 said:

“As an employee of Ubisoft, McDevitt has been the script writer for both the story and dialogue in Assassin's Creed: Bloodlines, Assassin's Creed II: Discovery, Assassin's Creed: Embers and Assassin's Creed Unity, as well as was the lead writer for Assassin's Creed: Revelations and Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag’’

The news about Darby gives me a bit more hope.

And I hope the rumour about the Kenway bloodline is true. Hated Connor, I’ll be honest, but adored Edward and Haythem. It would be interesting to see their ancestor

1 hour ago, Gladiator995 said:

Also, there's another possiblity. (AC Rogue spoilers below)

Osto Berg, the main Templar in the present day, mentions in a recording you can unlock that he once went into an Animus to explore the life of one of his ancestors, who was a Viking.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Taytoutay said:

They've started working on DLCs (heard of 3) already and seems like ideas for a DLC was taken away for the next game which will take advantage of next generation (reducing the DLCs number at 2). Making the next game similar to this one. Just like Odyssey was similar to Origins. 

Euurrgh why start on dlc now? Just put it in the main game. 

I know they gotta make £€¥$ though. 

Ive been trying to finish every mainline Assasssins Creed. Ive done one every coupla months. Muscle memory is absolutely on point rn. Just finished Black Flag. Only platted AC2.

I like the twisting of historical events. 

Heres hoping this one is set around King Alfred the Great. (Last Kingdom vibes)

Edited by punkshepherd
Fun

4 hours ago, PhyrxianLibrarin said:

This is going to sound crazy but I really hope this is smaller than AC Odyssey. I don't need another 200+ hour sink of "sail to this port, sneak into this room, kill this dude, repeat hundreds of times".

Why did you need 200+ hours for Odyssey? I was literally sad when I was done with everything after 140 hours or something... I even tried to stretch the last DLC as much as possible to keep the game ongoing. :D The map was only at the beginning big. It felt overwhelming but when you have been exploring it it was not that big at all... What is wrong with sailing? There are so many viewpoints, you can teleport everywhere. And when you then go to the harbour you can even summon your ship at this location. What do you mean, you sneaked? Maybe that is why that game feels so big for you. You sneaked around. In Origins and Odysse you can just straight walk up to an enemy. Why would you waste time with sneaking? You are a mercenary, not an assassin. What about "kill this dude" is wrong? Is that not the normal AC gameplay?

I am sorry if you feel attacked by this comment. I did not intend to do that. But I wish Valhalla, because it is a next gen game, will be BIGGER. Assassins Creed is, at least for me, one of these games I never want to end... I was disappointed that you only needed to uncover 40 "?" in Odyssey. In Origins you had 288. There was also no trophy for being level99 or whatever. I want more. MORE!!! MOAAAAARR!!!!1

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Neputyunu said:

You are a mercenary, not an assassin.

I think this line sums up my issue with Odyssey. You’re not an assassin, or anyone involved in the Assassin-Templar war, in a game called Assassins Creed, in a franchise about assassins that has an arc story of Assassins vs Templars.

The rest of your points were fair. The game is certainly doesn't seem as big as Origins once you get into the swing of it, and you probably don’t need 200+ hours to play it. And I’m delighted you enjoyed it to the extent you did. 

But stealth is a big thing in this franchise and the fact that it doesn’t matter in this game pretty much sums up the issue; I think somewhere along the line they forgot what franchise they were making a game for.

But here's hoping everyones pleased with Valhalla ?

Silly iPad autocorrect
  • Like 1

Gonna take a wild guess and say this will come out sooner than we think. They usually reveal the games in june and release them in October. 

How they are affected by corona its hard to say but they might be done with the game.

Im guessing it will release May 29. 

Thats 90 % me wanting a new Assassins Creed game and 10 % logic. 

But one can only hope :)

'Viking' culture is oft misrepresented in media due to Christian slander that has remained prevalent throughout the ages. Please don't fuck this up... Who am I kidding?

Edited by SpaghettiGrabsy
Autocorrect made me look like a simpleton

Hell yes. Hope its as big as Origins and Odyssey. Maybe even bigger. With playstation 5 though hope the load time is even minimal or none.

1 hour ago, RedDeadWitcher93 said:

But stealth is a big thing in this franchise and the fact that it doesn’t matter in this game pretty much sums up the issue; I think somewhere along the line they forgot what franchise they were making a game for.

I will never understand this attitude. In Origins and Odyssey you could wipe out entire enemy strongholds without alerting a single guard. You were even rewarded with XP bonuses for keeping a stealth streak going. None of the other games let you wait until nighttime and then let you go thru a camp killing the guards in their sleep. I played thru both games pure stealth unless I was forced into a fight, which the previous games did as well.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, pieroV_86 said:

CTRL + C Origins/Odissey 

CTRL + V Valhalla

I would not be upset in the slightest. I had a great time playing both. 

I went back and played 10 hours of ac black flag...... It has not aged well - it's still a great game but the combat is not as fun I remembered. I played the original 3 on xbox and I can safely say it was ac that got me back into gaming but still prefer the newer format

Wonder if it'll be one shared-console list, or two separate lists. I'll definitely get this game, since I liked Origins/Odyssey well enough. I just hope the sailing is toned down, as it took fucking forever to get to one of those enemies in the bottom-left of the map in Odyssey. 

16 minutes ago, Gumby114 said:

still prefer the newer format

Yeah, I had played some Brotherhood several years ago on my PS3. Then played Origins/Odyssey more recently. I tried playing my PS4 copy of AC II, but could not get into it. I much prefer this new format, than the old. I do want to get the other games a try one day, but the feeling wont be the same. 

Just now, milanbarca82 said:

Enjoyed both origins and odyssey.  I hope this one is far better than both those games.

Maybe will finally get a flying horse? Since it's Nordic, I'd expect to see some Norse gods in this. 

57 minutes ago, Caesar Clown said:

I will never understand this attitude. In Origins and Odyssey you could wipe out entire enemy strongholds without alerting a single guard. You were even rewarded with XP bonuses for keeping a stealth streak going. None of the other games let you wait until nighttime and then let you go thru a camp killing the guards in their sleep. I played thru both games pure stealth unless I was forced into a fight, which the previous games did as well.

That was mostly just me responding to someone who said sneaking didn’t matter and if you sneaked that’s the only reason the game took so long; to quote them ‘why would you waste your time with sneaking?’ 

I wasn’t saying stealth had been removed from the game; I was saying that

1) it seems to have lost its importance and exists mostly to serve fans of the older games who want to do stealth runs (the fact it rewards you for doing that is the equivalent of Ubisoft going ‘yay, you didn’t forget stealth even though you don’t need it, have a cookie’), 

and that

2)you can do the entire game without it which seems to defeat the purpose of a franchise where ‘hiding in plain sight’ and ‘working in the dark’ have always been core to success in missions. You don’t need these anymore; they’re not requirements. If you decide to the missions stealthily that’s cool, but you’re not desynched for getting detected anymore so stealth becomes less important.

This is all just personal opinion. People are well within their right to ignore stealth. People are well within their rights to do full stealth runs. But I’m just as equally within my rights to wish that stealth was still a requirement more than a fan service. I missed the challenge of having to do something undetected or desynchronise. 

Im certainly not getting at anyone for the way they play. I’m just stating my own opinion about the game, and it’s mechanics. In this case, stealth.

Silly iPad autocorrect
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, ArmoredSnowman said:

Maybe will finally get a flying horse? Since it's Nordic, I'd expect to see some Norse gods in this. 

Haha. Yeah. I hope so.

Phobos with pegasus skin was not enough for me because it couldn't fly lol.

Edited by milanbarca82
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, PhyrxianLibrarin said:

This is going to sound crazy but I really hope this is smaller than AC Odyssey. I don't need another 200+ hour sink of "sail to this port, sneak into this room, kill this dude, repeat hundreds of times".

I'm betting "unspecified platforms" means this will be PS5-only.

Not crazy at all dude, the amount of grindy padding and crappy side quests in Odyssey was ridiculous.