Assassin's Creed: Valhalla Officially Announced (17 November 2020)

On 06.05.2019 at 6:01 PM, DarkLordSHTR said:

65d04c36-dd0f-4097-a4cd-29d39bbbf242.jpg

Ubisoft has officially announced Assassin's Creed: Valhalla, the new game in the Assassin's Creed series.

It has been confirmed that the Vikings will be themed. The release date and the platforms to be released have not been announced yet.

You will be able to watch it on YouTube.

Source

------------------

-Assassin’s Creed (codenamed) Kingdom planned to come cross gen 2020

-Actual name is Assassin’s Creed Ragnarok

-Main character is ally of Ragnar Lodbrok and aids in the formation of Great Heathen Army

- Map is split into several kingdoms encompassing all of Great Britain, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, and Finland

- Kingdoms are split into regions that can hold settlements.

-Settlements have some customization and in game economy systems

- Large scale “conquest” battles return, and can be used to weaken enemy hold on regions and parts of the story

- Player does become an assassin and use hidden blade

- First Civ lore is a bit less than Odyssey, finding a vault and Mjolnir

- Game is developed primarily by Montreal

- Creative Director is Ashraf, Darby McDevvit is the Narrative Director

- Sofia is assisting but is planning on creating a DLC set in Iceland and using Yggdrasil to move across the 9 realms

- Co-op is returning, and can be used in most side quests and world exploration

- RPG mechanics, eagle, and ship combat is all returning

- Ship combat is toned down to focus more on exploration

- Game is more focused on exploration, removing question marks on the map, and making players want to explore locations for better loot (like Breath of the Wild)

- Larger emphasis on build and armor usage.

- Player has ability to change outfits on the fly, which can speed up or slow down notoriety build up in different kingdoms and stop Sheriffs coming after you

Source

4ac0efe3-e46c-4b72-817f-af8c3f8be975.jpg 

68cae70c-05a4-4fdc-a35e-1c13364aab9b.jpg 

dfd9ab58-ad89-4816-957f-96068d53c33e.jpg 

d0849fc0-42c8-4122-9715-9da3fe2104aa.jpg

Topis is update.

Assassin's Creed: Valhalla Officially Announced.

4 minutes ago, MidnightDragon said:

Wonder how many people will be comparing it to God of War. Inspired to ask by viewing the signature of @DividedByMankind

Yeah, thats prob going to happen, but for people that doesnt know: vikings believed they came to vallhalla in afterlife?They were given that courage in fights , so a good name for a game? pretty sure the game has nothing to do with norse mythology, the vikings believed innit tho.

10 minutes ago, DividedByMankind said:

Yeah, thats prob going to happen, but for people that doesnt know: vikings believed they came to vallhalla in afterlife1f44d.pngThey were given that courage in fights , so a good name for a game1f44d.png pretty sure the game has nothing to do with norse mythology, the vikings believed innit tho.

If the past couple of AC games are anything to go by then they're definitely going to include Norse mythology in this one. 

Only so fitting they will go with the Viking theme.

They did the Middle East, Italy, Ottoman (modern day Turkey), Eastern United States (America), Caribbean, East America/Canada, England, Egypt and Greece. If you consider Chronicles a valid part of the Assassins Creed franchise, you can add China, India and Russia to the list.

I guess now the only thing they haven't covered is Japan and maybe Korea. Oh wait, Nioh, Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice and Ghosts of Tsushima have already covered that territory.

As someone who was yet to play through the entirety of Assassins Creed Origins and Odyssey, it's going to be a long time before I ever lay hands on this game.

Got to say, this looks pretty good.  The setting and environment has me very interested.  I have only played Black Flag and got that because of the setting and enjoyed the ship battles and open world stuff but not the main missions as much.  The stealth and having to do missions a certain way felt kind of cheap.  

Hope the controls have improved since Black Flag.  They were clunky.  Odyssey is another one I want but not willing to sink that time into it right now.

I bet I get this for PS5 down the road, no rush.

9 hours ago, SpaghettiGrabsy said:

'Viking' culture is oft misrepresented in media due to Christian slander that has remained prevalent throughout the ages. Please don't fuck this up... Who am I kidding?

I mean it's Ubisoft.

They'll make a graphical powerhouse once more with Valhalla. Then once you're done with the main story you get to run around like an asshole doing 1000 assassinations, find 1000 collectibles, do 500 sidequests that were all copy and pasted off of each other, and somehow make the entire game world a boring chore to get through.

They managed to make Far Cry Primal have a bunch of jackass NPCs, including a redneck Larry the Cable guy character which obviously made sense in 10,000 BC in Europe. I don't even know If I'm getting Far Cry 5 because of it's representation of redneck rural America, Far Cry New Dawn is just as stupid taking place in the same area a generation later.

8 hours ago, RedDeadWitcher93 said:

I wasn’t saying stealth had been removed from the game; I was saying that

1) it seems to have lost its importance and exists mostly to serve fans of the older games who want to do stealth runs (the fact it rewards you for doing that is the equivalent of Ubisoft going ‘yay, you didn’t forget stealth even though you don’t need it, have a cookie’), 

and that

2)you can do the entire game without it which seems to defeat the purpose of a franchise where ‘hiding in plain sight’ and ‘working in the dark’ have always been core to success in missions. You don’t need these anymore; they’re not requirements. If you decide to the missions stealthily that’s cool, but you’re not desynched for getting detected anymore so stealth becomes less important.

This is all just personal opinion. People are well within their right to ignore stealth. People are well within their rights to do full stealth runs. But I’m just as equally within my rights to wish that stealth was still a requirement more than a fan service. I missed the challenge of having to do something undetected or desynchronise. 

Im certainly not getting at anyone for the way they play. I’m just stating my own opinion about the game, and it’s mechanics. In this case, stealth.

Stealth was tragically dumbed down in the later Assassins Creed installments.

Most of the gameplay of the original Assassins Creed was all stealth. You had to receive intel and then go off to kill a certain person Al Mualim wanted dead. II and Brotherhood made stealth easier but it was still a big priority in the games. You were still an assassin who still had to sneak in at times and grab valuable information. Such as in Brotherhood when you had to infiltrate the Borgia castle to find out what Cesare Borgia was up to.

The newer Assassins Creed games just toss away a lot of stealth because too many people complained stealth was too tedious and difficult for them. Now you can basically go in Rambo style and kill some guards with no penalty at all. There's no rhyme or reason anymore. Stealth was never implemented all that well in Assassins Creed like it was in Metal Gear Solid, Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell and other franchises. It served to help differentiate Assassins Creed from other popular gaming series 10 years ago.

Now it just doesn't serve a purpose. Sure you may get a little something out of it but the reward is barely worth the trouble. It definitely lost it's importance.

I mean hell, the short film that came with the Ezio Trilogy had an emphasis on stealth. Today filmmakers will probably just ignore a lot of that in favor of pandering to the lowest common denominator. Turns out a lot of people don't like stealth, so Ubisoft pandered to them and made it completely optional most of the time.

It's not Assassins Creed anymore, it's something else entirely.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spaz said:

Stealth was tragically dumbed down in the later Assassins Creed installments.

Most of the gameplay of the original Assassins Creed was all stealth. You had to receive intel and then go off to kill a certain person Al Mualim wanted dead. II and Brotherhood made stealth easier but it was still a big priority in the games. You were still an assassin who still had to sneak in at times and grab valuable information. Such as in Brotherhood when you had to infiltrate the Borgia castle to find out what Cesare Borgia was up to.

The newer Assassins Creed games just toss away a lot of stealth because too many people complained stealth was too tedious and difficult for them. Now you can basically go in Rambo style and kill some guards with no penalty at all. There's no rhyme or reason anymore. Stealth was never implemented all that well in Assassins Creed like it was in Metal Gear Solid, Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell and other franchises. It served to help differentiate Assassins Creed from other popular gaming series 10 years ago.

Now it just doesn't serve a purpose. Sure you may get a little something out of it but the reward is barely worth the trouble. It definitely lost it's importance.

I mean hell, the short film that came with the Ezio Trilogy had an emphasis on stealth. Today filmmakers will probably just ignore a lot of that in favor of pandering to the lowest common denominator. Turns out a lot of people don't like stealth, so Ubisoft pandered to them and made it completely optional most of the time.

It's not Assassins Creed anymore, it's something else entirely.

My thoughts exactly. I don't Odyssey is a bad game, it's a good RPG. But it's not a good AC game. Having said that, I liked Origins. Gameplay wasnt very AC but the story was excellent in my personal opinion. 

1 minute ago, RedDeadWitcher93 said:

My thoughts exactly. I don't Odyssey is a bad game, it's a good RPG. But it's not a good AC game. Having said that, I liked Origins. Gameplay wasnt very AC but the story was excellent in my personal opinion. 

One of my early impressions of Origins was it's an overly simplified Dark Souls like game.

What I'm saying is the series isn't true to form anymore. I think Ubisoft could of given a different name for Origins and Odyssey and they still would of sold millions of copies.

Okay gameplay, okay to somewhat decent story, but a very poor representation of what Assassins Creed initially was.

Does anybody care about the Templar vs Assassin conflict? Let alone the present day storyline?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Spaz said:

One of my early impressions of Origins was it's an overly simplified Dark Souls like game.

What I'm saying is the series isn't true to form anymore. I think Ubisoft could of given a different name for Origins and Odyssey and they still would of sold millions of copies.

Okay gameplay, okay to somewhat decent story, but a very poor representation of what Assassins Creed initially was.

Does anybody care about the Templar vs Assassin conflict? Let alone the present day storyline?

Hopefully Valhalla will be a return to form in terms of story. I get the feeling they'll stick with RPG as gameplay though :/

But the Vikings in the game are the Assassins so I'm hoping that the monarchies they fight in England and elsewhere are Templars so that we can get back to the Assassin-Templar War. 

Modern day was promising in Origins but it kind of lost its way again in Odyssey so God knows what it'll look like in Valhalla

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RedDeadWitcher93 said:

Hopefully Valhalla will be a return to form in terms of story. I get the feeling they'll stick with RPG as gameplay though :/

But the Vikings in the game are the Assassins so I'm hoping that the monarchies they fight in England and elsewhere are Templars so that we can get back to the Assassin-Templar War. 

Modern day was promising in Origins but it kind of lost its way again in Odyssey so God knows what it'll look like in Valhalla

If you remember all the way back in Assassins Creed II where Ezio got the Altair armor under Mario's mansion, there were various statues of Assassins who played a role in history. Some of whom lived in ancient times.

So maybe Ubisoft had this planned many years ahead of time.

5 minutes ago, Spaz said:

If you remember all the way back in Assassins Creed II where Ezio got the Altair armor under Mario's mansion, there were various statues of Assassins who played a role in history. Some of whom lived in ancient times.

So maybe Ubisoft had this planned many years ahead of time.

Remember perfectly mate. Played that game more times than I can count haha

Have you played Origins? If not I'll shut up, cause one of those statues is important so for sure they've planned this in some way 

Edited by RedDeadWitcher93

16 hours ago, punkshepherd said:

Heres hoping this one is set around King Alfred the Great. (Last Kingdom vibes)

Another possibility is King Cnut.

Or they could copy the Origins three-way threat scenario, except using Harald Hardrada, Harold Godwinson and William the Bastard, err Conqueror. You've got two of the three main characters right there with Viking heritage. 

11 minutes ago, PerryToxteth said:

Another possibility is King Cnut.

Or they could copy the Origins three-way threat scenario, except using Harald Hardrada, Harold Godwinson and William the Bastard, err Conqueror. You've got two of the three main characters right there with Viking heritage. 

What about some explorer character along the lines of Leif Ericsson?  SKOL!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Noskillzpro407 said:

Can someone please confirm if AC Valhalla will be a timed exclusive on Xbox? Or the Xbox logo was just on the trailer because maybe they show off gameplay for it at the XSX reveal event?

The description below the video says XBox One, PS4, and PC. My guess is the PS5 version will be revealed later.

Edited by MidnightDragon

3 minutes ago, Noskillzpro407 said:

Can someone please confirm if AC Valhalla will be a timed exclusive on Xbox? Or the Xbox logo was just on the trailer because maybe they show off gameplay for it at the XSX reveal event?

A lot of game trailers have the Xbox/PS logo at the end without being exclusives. Just MS paying for some advertisement on a hugely anticipated reveal trailer.

Anyway, that trailer looks good! Main page has also been updated:

https://www.ubisoft.com/en-us/game/assassins-creed/valhalla

Also @Noskillzpro407 According to the news articles, it is coming to PS5. Probably MS is the one who got the advertising rights this time.

Edited by MidnightDragon
  • Like 1