New to this game, weapons suck

its all about finding chests and beating bosses, similar process as other looter shooter games. You can also find a decent guns, grenades and shields from vending machines at times which can do you some good for a couple of levels. I dont know if you are already playing with people but thats probably the best way to go

Borderlands isn't like the more recent looter shooter's where you find a weapon you like and then modify it and upgrade it. 

Variety is the trademark of borderlands. Over a million guns. Procedurally generated. You are not meant to get attached to your weapons, usually you will only hold onto them for a few levels. It gives loot so generously and often that you should be changing often. It's been a long time since I played but I seem to remember you can carry 4 weapons at any time. I used to have a sniper, an assault rifle, a smg and a pistol. Whenever I came across a new weapon (which was often) I'd compare the stats against what I already had. Inevitably the new would be better and replace the old. As the person above mentioned, bosses and loot chests fill the game. I remember bosses having a large loot pool of potential drops, some being rarer and better than others. But they were farm-able. If you don't get what you want you'd do them again. And again. And again. 

Also, know your ammo types and carry weapons for the enemies found in the area you are in. Guns with the spark icon are effective against shields but not flesh but fire guns are good against flesh but not shields. Corrosive weapons are effective against metal. Etc. Use one gun to drop the enemies shields then swap to another to drain there health. 

And lastly, don't forget to use your character's abilities. There are multiple potential builds for each class depending on your play style and they are crucial for winning fights. 

• Like 1

I also really think that elemental damage is overpowered in the Borderlands series.  In 1 it is fire that seems to be doing real work for me so far.  But yes, as @Sayaaaargh87 said, you should be finding guns almost all the time, and guns a few levels up are usually better in several ways.  Replacing your guns with guns you find is the key, and don't be afraid to use a white gun that has some better stats.  It too will be replaced too anyway.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, I-FaNTaSTiCzZ-l said:

So I've never played a borderlands game, until now. I've enjoyed it for the most part, now I'm at a point where I'm unloading all my ammo into certain enemies and doing very little damage and being killed instantly. How do I upgrade/get better weapons? 

You should do all the side missions as they showup so you level up quickly. If a side mission is to hard wait until you find better weapons and shields. Use your special abilty often. Check your skill tree and evenutally reset your skill points and choose better skills.

Like has been said, Borderlands is all about the loot. It's all about switching up your weapons for something better. However, unlike Borderlands 2 and The Pre-Sequel. BL1 wasn't quite as balanced, so you can find guns that last you for quite awhile. Such as for me, I found a Legendary (Orange) Shotgun around level 18...and it lasted me until I was level 40 before it started feeling useless. 

But I can offer a potential quick solution. Borderlands 2 introduced the SHiFT system and the Golden Loot Chest, which offered up Purple weapons that scaled to your level...and you could find some really great gun in there...but it kind of hurt the drop rates for good weapons. But the PS4 version of BL1 has added the Golden Chest as well...this time with ability to get Legendaries (and Blue weapons for some reason). So you can use this site:

http://orcz.com/Borderlands:_Golden_Key

to input those SHiFT codes to get 25 Golden Keys for the Golden Loot Chest (found in Fyrestone and New Haven)...this can at least give you the opportunity to really get something worthwhile. Now I say "potential" solution because the Golden Loot Chest is completely RNG based, so you may not get much. But with 25 keys to use, you should be fine. 

Edited by Viper

I would recommend changing up the guns and equips and checking any new loots before selling them. Also, it might be a good idea to farm some bosses or area because as I recall some areas had some good drops or chests. I remember this one time I got a gun with a fire effect, it quickly became my new go-to gun at least until I found something better. It's actually why some people have called Borderlands a mix between FPS and RPG.

tl;dr 

Use More Gun

If you're hardly doing any damage you're probably not leveled properly or using lower tier guns. Never use the white or green weapons.

Also Borderlands is an RPG, you can't just go around killing everything right away. You gotta level up and find loot.

Borderlands is one of my favorite series, even have 8 Platinums in them, but just make sure to realize you're playing an RPG and it will be loads better and make more sense to how everything works 

Also shift codes and golden keys help a bunch if you can't get good weapons.

I'd say to find a couple weapon types that you like and primarily stick with them. The more you use them, the more they will skill up. I think each weapon type has different bonuses when you increase your proficiency with them. Also, I think each class specializes in certain weapons. Lilith specializes in SMGs and elemental, Mordecai specializes in sniper rifles and pistols, Roland specializes in combat rifles and shotguns, and Brick specializes in punching things in the face and explodey, heavy weapons.

Not sure if you're into it, but playing in a group will get you better loot drops, more xp, and help you kill things that you're having trouble with.