Multilingual Youtube channel (trophy guides) - please tell me your opinion!

sunashigure1

Hey, fellow gamers!

My name is Sebastian and I decided to make gaming guides. I've graduated from University (European Law studies), learned English and Japanese and looking for a job currently. Ain't easy, lemme tell ya... It's hard. Figured I should put my 20 years of gaming experience to good use and make a Youtube channel. Helps me keep sanity, to be frank ^-^ Furthermore, it's really inspiring to be able to help someone.

Similar to Cronocyde's topic, I'd love some suggestions and feedback on my Youtube channel, if that's possible. Trying to make my guides as detailed as possible. Been hearing, I should focus more on "thumbnails complexity" (or rather lack thereof). I believe text and in-game OST (or music in general) would suit trophy guides more (instead of commentary), but some people say Youtube channels w/o real voice commentary are doomed to failure. Perhaps... What do you guys think?

Still a Youtube rookie. So yeah, any opinions would be very much appreciated! Thanks! I mean really. Glad this site exists ^0^

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyqAyVDEOZFI6QLsxDej5nw

• Like 4

Make sure your personality shows in your videos and be consistent. If you can nail those two things you’ll already have a leg up on all those hacks out there. Voice overs are essential for any guides I watch for more than 10 seconds, take the time to make your audio spot on, and don’t worry about being first to publish.

• Like 1

I would like to see a trophy hunter centric YouTube profile.

Basically what CARLOHAS (CMH777), KingSuperOne and Stay Pationt were doing. I miss Stay Pationt, he was the go to guy when it came to PlayStation Flash Sales and dissecting the reason we hunt for trophies.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DaivRules said:

Make sure your personality shows in your videos and be consistent. If you can nail those two things you’ll already have a leg up on all those hacks out there. Voice overs are essential for any guides I watch for more than 10 seconds, take the time to make your audio spot on, and don’t worry about being first to publish.

Oh, wow. Thank you for your opinion!

Roger that. It seems personality and consistency are key indeed. Yeah, don't even know how to start with voice overs, but gonna think it through, as suggested.

Just now, Spaz said:

Basically what CARLOHAS (CMH777), KingSuperOne and Stay Pationt were doing. I miss Stay Pationt, he was the go to guy when it came to PlayStation Flash Sales and dissecting the reason we hunt for trophies.

Okay, gonna check them out. So trophy hunting from a different perspective, sales, point of getting trophies and such. Thank you for your insight!

3 minutes ago, sunashigure1 said:

Okay, gonna check them out. So trophy hunting from a different perspective, sales, point of getting trophies and such. Thank you for your insight!

I would advise voice over for your videos.

PowerPyx is one of those guys who does not comment, but he gives a very good description in his videos as far as what you need to do for trophies. You can do what Brian (PS4Trophies) does and provide commentary, the difference between the two is one comments and one doesn't.

Snickel does pretty good YouTube video guides for trophies, go look him up.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Spaz said:

It was sad when stay pationt left YouTube, and btw where is Charlohas aka CMH777 his YouTube channel disappeared 

• Like 2

Just now, Spaz said:

I would advise voice over for your videos.

PowerPyx is one of those guys who does not comment, but he gives a very good description in his videos as far as what you need to do for trophies. You can do what Brian (PS4Trophies) does and provide commentary, the difference between the two is one comments and one doesn't.

Snickel does pretty good YouTube video guides for trophies, go look him up.

Yes, I've noticed PowerPyx is rather successful despite no voice overs. There's a lot of info in my descriptions too. Brian is very good at what he does.

Snickel, I don't know, but will look him up. Thank you.

1 minute ago, DeathByRyuku said:

It was sad when stay pationt left YouTube, and btw where is Charlohas aka CMH777 his YouTube channel disappeared 

Do we know why he left?

Just now, sunashigure1 said:

Yes, I've noticed PowerPyx is rather successful despite no voice overs. There's a lot of info in my descriptions too. Brian is very good at what he does.

Snickel, I don't know, but will look him up. Thank you.

Snickel is really good too, I really enjoy his platinum vids, and good luck with your YouTube channel ??

• Like 1

As someone who has experience in this, I will say giving people what they want to click on is important. If you're gonna do guides, you have to think of it from the viewer's point of view. They're gonna want guides which help them. Commentary is something I do in all my guides personally so it's worth looking into. Staypationt was quite a big influence on my work so I like to give it that vibe whilst bringing my own personality into it. 

Regardless, I wish you the best of luck and I'll be sure to check out your stuff sometime. I'm sure you'll get the hang of it fairly quickly :) 

Edited by The Blakk Vulture
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Blakk Vulture said:

As someone who has experience in this, I will say giving people what they want to click on is important. If you're gonna do guides, you have to think of it from the viewer's point of view. They're gonna want guides which help them. Commentary is something I do in all my guides personally so it's worth looking into. Staypationt was quite a big influence on my work so I like to give it that vibe whilst bringing my own personality into it. 

Regardless, I wish you the best of luck and I'll be sure to check out your stuff sometime. I'm sure you'll get the hand of it fairly quickly :) 

Thank you. Expert opinions are always welcome ^0^

Understood. I'll try to focus more on viewer's point of view. I probably should grab a pencil and do some brainstorming. Another vote for real commentary. Got it.

Likewise! All the best, man. I'll keep an eye on your channel as well. Really appreciate your time and effort :)

hope it goes well, thy land of youtube is pretty saturated, ever since that share button has been implemented.

I'll check it out to send some support, just subbed :)

I've had a channel for a few too, I'll make beats and put it to gaming, amv's and other fun random stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbwl4G0cVpTnOXG9z7C0X2w?view_as=subscriber

Edited by Galactic Hyper Balls
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, sunashigure1 said:

Thank you. Expert opinions are always welcome ^0^

Understood. I'll try to focus more on viewer's point of view. I probably should grab a pencil and do some brainstorming. Another vote for real commentary. Got it.

Likewise! All the best, man. I'll keep an eye on your channel as well. Really appreciate your time and effort :)

Well, I wouldn't say expert by any means. I'm just improving myself as I go. ^-^ 

But yes, I find that clear concise commentary helps out a lot. You'll likely know what I mean from my content. 

No problem, thanks for that. I appreciate it. :) 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Galactic Hyper Balls said:

hope it goes well, thy land of youtube is pretty saturated, ever since that share button has been implemented.

I'll check it out to send some support

I've had a channel for a few too, I'll make beats and put it gaming and other fun random stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbwl4G0cVpTnOXG9z7C0X2w?view_as=subscriber

Thank you very much indeed. You're right. Not easy to start a new channel (I may be wrong, but unfriendly SEO seems like a thing for newcomers).

Just checked your channel, gotta admit, looking good! Oh wow, even my favourite PS4 game (Nioh) included ^-^

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, sunashigure1 said:

Thank you very much indeed. You're right. Not easy to start a new channel (I may be wrong, but unfriendly SEO seems like a thing for newcomers).

Just checked your channel, gotta admit, looking good! Oh wow, even my favourite PS4 game (Nioh) included ^-^

Well, my channel is one of the smaller ones in this niche anyway, but I seem to be managing fairly well regarding SEO.

Yeah! Thumbnails are certainly one of my strengths haha

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, The Blakk Vulture said:

Well, I wouldn't say expert by any means. I'm just improving myself as I go. ^-^ 

But yes, I find that clear concise commentary helps out a lot. You'll likely know what I mean from my content. 

No problem, thanks for that. I appreciate it. :) 

I like your modesty, but I consider you an expert still :) Pleasure is all mine. Yes, I'll be sure to watch your content thoroughly.

3 minutes ago, The Blakk Vulture said:

Well, my channel is one of the smaller ones in this niche anyway, but I seem to be managing fairly well regarding SEO.

Yeah! Thumbnails are certainly one of my strengths haha

You're doing well, in my humble opinion. Also, nearly 3 years of Youtube experience. Experience is the best teacher.

• Like 1

I like your modesty, but I consider you an expert still :) Pleasure is all mine. Yes, I'll be sure to watch your content thoroughly.

You're doing well, in my humble opinion. Also, nearly 3 years of Youtube experience. Experience is the best teacher.

Well, it's mostly a hobby really but it's something I enjoy. But if people consider me as an expert, I'll let people think whatever they wish (it's their opinion so I can't stop them lol) - I actually started in March 2017, so not quite 3 years anyway lol. 2019 has been quite good for growth for me though so I'm happy anyway haha. 

• Like 1

Just now, The Blakk Vulture said:

Well, it's mostly a hobby really but it's something I enjoy. But if people consider me as an expert, I'll let people think whatever they wish (it's their opinion so I can't stop them lol) - I actually started in March 2017, so not quite 3 years anyway lol. 2019 has been quite good for growth for me though so I'm happy anyway haha. 

Haha, have it your way (rookie wouldn't be able to make such cool thumbnails, mind you) ^0^

Same here. It's just a hobby. Hard work, but fun.

Ah, my bad. Thought December 2016.

Indeed. 2,5k subs. Impressive. Keep up the good work :)

• Like 1

Just now, sunashigure1 said:

Haha, have it your way (rookie wouldn't be able to make such cool thumbnails, mind you) ^0^

Same here. It's just a hobby. Hard work, but fun.

Ah, my bad. Thought December 2016.

Indeed. 2,5k subs. Impressive. Keep up the good work :)

I studied Media in college so I have some experience haha. (Although I'm self taught on thumbnails)

Although it's kinda become more than a hobby recently. It's hard work yes, I agree. Especially for the longer videos haha. 

Thanks though man. I appreciate it :) 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Blakk Vulture said:

I studied Media in college so I have some experience haha. (Although I'm self taught on thumbnails)

Although it's kinda become more than a hobby recently. It's hard work yes, I agree. Especially for the longer videos haha. 

Thanks though man. I appreciate it :) 

Wow. That's really nice (and handy). I definitely need to improve in the thumbnails division.

Yep. Tell me about it. Edit everything, check things twice, thrice... Typos to be corrected, tags to be set etc.

Don't mention it :)

Wow. That's really nice (and handy). I definitely need to improve in the thumbnails division.

Yep. Tell me about it. Edit everything, check things twice, thrice... Typos to be corrected, tags to be set etc.

Don't mention it :)

Yeah! I've improved over time, but I like my style xD 

Editing is the fun part (partly sarcasm but oh well) - Although some of my videos are 2-3 hours long so it can be boring in the end lol

• Like 1

Just now, The Blakk Vulture said:

Yeah! I've improved over time, but I like my style xD 

Editing is the fun part (partly sarcasm but oh well) - Although some of my videos are 2-3 hours long so it can be boring in the end lol

Holy smoke. That long, eh? Maybe not boring, but the effort involved... One needs to work really hard, in order to release such a video.

Like your thumbnails style. Moreover, self taught. Kinda my poison too. Prefer to learn things myself ^-^

All right, good start my friend!

First thing that caught my eye was the thumbnails for all your videos. While the style is all similar, they're not as "clickable" as you would want them to be. You need to make the name of the game pops out more and the name of the trophy the video is about. You need to work on a template and a style that fits your channel and use the same for the game, so that your thumbnails all pops out and are similar in style. The flags for the languages are not necessary.

Regarding the video itself, I watched some of them. The video itself is short and straight to the point, which is good. Voice over, like said above, is a must for any good YouTube channels. While the captions are good too and could work, I prefer to have a personality channel around trophies or tips instead of a flat video with captions only. Just my opinion though. I'm not sure if you should focus on only one language though and not two in a single video, food for thoughts. The sound is really loud for me, might want to tune it down a little bit.

SEO strategy:

I like your description, they're fleshed out and really good for searching. Seems like you're nailing the video tags too, which is good. Share it everywhere my dude! Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, you would be surprised by how much exposure you can get from specific community related to your game. Also, interact with the communities that are specific for that game. For me, it's Super Mario Maker, so I'm trying to be as active as possible, so you should do the same.

That's pretty much it for now. Hope you enjoyed reading :-)

• Like 1

On 10.05.2019 at 2:59 PM, cronocyde said:

All right, good start my friend!

First thing that caught my eye was the thumbnails for all your videos. While the style is all similar, they're not as "clickable" as you would want them to be. You need to make the name of the game pops out more and the name of the trophy the video is about. You need to work on a template and a style that fits your channel and use the same for the game, so that your thumbnails all pops out and are similar in style. The flags for the languages are not necessary.

Regarding the video itself, I watched some of them. The video itself is short and straight to the point, which is good. Voice over, like said above, is a must for any good YouTube channels. While the captions are good too and could work, I prefer to have a personality channel around trophies or tips instead of a flat video with captions only. Just my opinion though. I'm not sure if you should focus on only one language though and not two in a single video, food for thoughts. The sound is really loud for me, might want to tune it down a little bit.

SEO strategy:

I like your description, they're fleshed out and really good for searching. Seems like you're nailing the video tags too, which is good. Share it everywhere my dude! Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, you would be surprised by how much exposure you can get from specific community related to your game. Also, interact with the communities that are specific for that game. For me, it's Super Mario Maker, so I'm trying to be as active as possible, so you should do the same.

That's pretty much it for now. Hope you enjoyed reading :-)

Wow. I appreciate your time and effort. Thank you so much!

Certainly, every opinion matters. Moreoever, expert tips like yours and The Blakk Vulture's are very important to me.

I see. Yeah, thumbnails definitely need some re-working. Fair points. I have to figure my own style. Truth to be told, I should have spent much more time on them (love the flags tho).

I've noticed the shorter the video, the better (in general). Not like ~30 seconds, of course. Depends on the content. Like you said, people prefer more straight-to-the-point videos.

Voice over necessity, got it. About the text only - PowerPyx kinda comes to mind. Thing is, I don't want my voice to kinda make people less focused on the specific objective they need to do (in order to get the trophy). Plus the potential music. Singer would probably be better than my ordinary voice. Like explain a tough trophy with text in multiple languages, add calm music (even classical) and make it that less stressful. However, most people prefer the voice over still, so I have to take it into account.

Yes, that's another problem. I can talk in 3 languages, sure, but that would be kinda awkward for viewers. Let's say, like first half video in English, second half in Polish. Why would English viewers stick to the end? This would make things chaotic. If I focus on English only, some Polish viewers won't be able to understand what I'm talking about (despite the omnipresence of English) and etcetera.

SEO stuff, trying my best ^0^ Thank you. Essential advice! Interacting with communities, spreading the word, helping people in need.. That's inspiring, to say the least.  

Edited by sunashigure1
  • Like 1

On 5/11/2019 at 7:09 AM, sunashigure1 said:

Wow. I appreciate your time and effort. Thank you so much!

Certainly, every opinion matters. Moreoever, expert tips like yours and The Blakk Vulture's are very important to me.

I see. Yeah, thumbnails definitely need some re-working. Fair points. I have to figure my own style. Truth to be told, I should have spent much more time on them (love the flags tho).

I've noticed the shorter the video, the better (in general). Not like ~30 seconds, of course. Depends on the content. Like you said, people prefer more straight-to-the-point videos.

Voice over necessity, got it. About the text only - PowerPyx kinda comes to mind. Thing is, I don't want my voice to kinda make people less focused on the specific objective they need to do (in order to get the trophy). Plus the potential music. Singer would probably be better than my ordinary voice. Like explain a tough trophy with text in multiple languages, add calm music (even classical) and make it that less stressful. However, most people prefer the voice over still, so I have to take it into account.

Yes, that's another problem. I can talk in 3 languages, sure, but that would be kinda awkward for viewers. Let's say, like first half video in English, second half in Polish. Why would English viewers stick to the end? This would make things chaotic. If I focus on English only, some Polish viewers won't be able to understand what I'm talking about (despite the omnipresence of English) and etcetera.

SEO stuff, trying my best ^0^ Thank you. Essential advice! Interacting with communities, spreading the word, helping people in need.. That's inspiring, to say the least.  

Good luck my friend, try your best and have fun in the process :-)

• Like 1