Top Trophy Hunters Retiring?

So it appears that a couple of North America top ranked trophy hunters have announced their retirement on twitter recently and it’s getting a lot of buzz and traction. Their reasons are legitimate and well founded. Will other high profiled trophy hunters follow? I’ve followed and respected their achievements from afar and it pains me to see them move away a hobby that they have spent so much time, money, and effort in. I wish them all the best in their new endeavors and will continue to look up to them as fellow gamers and friends. Do you guys think there is a shift happening in the trophy hunting community?

• Like 1

Good for them. I started completely over with a new account last year and I feel a lot better just playing games casually and not obsessing over trophies or plats anymore.

FYI, I was never a top trophy hunter or claim to be one but I had 50 or so plats on my old account and my list was not filled with easy plats either

Edited by ClintonLS90
  • Like 1

They always have the option to play for fun. Like he said, there's nothing else after becoming #1 in the world. It's time to relax and play what he wants. I completely agree there's really no point anymore because of one developer single handedly making it so that having a high number of plats is no longer respectable. 

• Like 1

Respectable decision, it must be hard to quit a hobby that so heavily relies on continued activity. I’ve recently been thinking about how in most competitive games you can maintain a legacy long after stopping competing whereas in trophy hunting once you’ve fallen off the leaderboard that’s kinda it.

50 minutes ago, coldsphinx93 said:

They always have the option to play for fun. Like he said, there's nothing else after becoming #1 in the world. It's time to relax and play what he wants. I completely agree there's really no point anymore because of one developer single handedly making it so that having a high number of plats is no longer respectable. 

He can't be #1 since he quit this site. ?

Even if he was, there totally is something after becoming #1: defending your title.

It's not fun anymore to him? I seriously doubt he earned most of the trophies on that account. Maybe he got tired of paying people to get trophies for him.

I doubt other trophy hunters with over thousands platinum trophies have earned all the trophies on their accounts on their own, it's just not possible nor healthy to earn trophies/trophy hunt 24/7, but it's ok as long as they haven't cheated. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, panikooooos said:

Are you gonna link these trophy hunters and their reasons or....?1f914.png1f914.png  I don't know what you're talking about tbh

I thought about it, but honestly, I wanted to be respectful of their decisions and not call them out by name. If others want to do their research on their own accord, feel free. My intent was just to have a general discussion about the recent decisions made by top trophy hunters and whether they are justified in choosing to step away at this time. I'm finding a lot of fellow gamers who feel the same way and have been entertaining thoughts on whether it is worth it anymore due to easy platinums, finding time for more games they enjoy, the loss of motivation for the chase, etc. Personally, I still enjoy the hunt and the challenge that comes along with some trophies and games. Game on, friends!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MrTrofyHuntr said:

I'm finding a lot of fellow gamers who feel the same way and have been entertaining thoughts on whether it is worth it anymore due to easy platinums, finding time for more games they enjoy, the loss of motivation for the chase, etc. Personally, I still enjoy the hunt and the challenge that comes along with some trophies and games. Game on, friends!

For what it is worth I still love gaming and intend to continue playing everything and anything. It is alot of fun. Goodluck to you as well. There is much fun to be had still.

Besides retirement is admitting defeat, one should never do that.

Edited by cjshaitan
  • Like 2

If I were playing something like MK9 (a game I loathe with a passion anyway) the mind-numbing repetitive boredom would have made trophy hunting "not fun" long before I hit 2000, just saying.

But yeah, I've got my own semi-retirement planned as well. I've put a blanket ban on new purchases until I finish my current backlog, and what with the amount of new games worth playing having slowed down to a nigh-on nonexistent trickle, it's looking more and more likely I'll hit my goal by this time next year. I'll be playing the odd game for trophies, sure, but my main focus will be getting back to the golden era of gaming from '87 to '07. Playing some old classics and discovering some new ones is the elixir my gaming soul sorely needs right about now.

Edited by AK-1138
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Milktastrophe said:

He can't be #1 since he quit this site. 1f61d.png

Even if he was, there totally is something after becoming #1: defending your title.

Meh that still doesn't sound fun to me. I respect where they are right now. Obviously trophy hunting is not something people can do forever. I'm even thinking once I hit 75 platinums I'm going to stop actively trophy hunting myself, and just play games I want to. I have a problem (probably a common one on this site) with trophies and my mindset towards them basically controlling how I play. And it's not fun that way. 

Edited by coldsphinx93
  • Like 1