Top Trophy Hunters Retiring?

3 hours ago, ClintonLS90 said:

RoughDawg4 is a team account, right? So the entire team from that account is calling it quits

2 hours ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

He claims to be 1 person, but we can claim a lot of things... I have a million dollars and a 3-story house. Just because I say it, doesn't mean it's true (I don't have any of that, but you get my drift).

No, Roughdawg is one person.

• Like 1

I can see how playing games you don't really want to play all the time for trophies could wear somebody down. I decided to stop playing games just for trophies that I wouldn't have played otherwise since I have plenty of other games in my backlog that I do actually want to play someday. 

• Like 2

I'm sure I'll get hammered for this comment but non the less I shall share it. I earned my first trophy over 10 years ago. And it took me 9 years to earn 30 plats. Mainly because of work and then becoming a single parent. I respect the high level guys for not wanting to deal with the ezpz plats that have surfaced in the last year or so . But for me personally I like them . They fit into my limited gaming schedule . I would have never thought I would have the amount I have now.  Will that stop me from playing games to just play games , no it wont . But for someone who took a month just to get through god of wars story without earning the plat, it's nice to know I have short games waiting for me.  

gotta play for fun or else you get burned out. 

it's why i'm careful about choosing things that i know i can't complete.

super life of pixel (ps4) probably isn't a mistake. i'm determined to complete it.

Edited by lordguwa

Nobody is forcing anybody to play the easy platinum games like Ratalaika or TellTale. The amount of posturing and gatekeeping around this topic lately has been wild. Admittedly, I'm guilty of a few garbage platinums in my time, but generally speaking I play games that are fun and go for trophies that are fun. It's almost like a fun thing ceases to be fun when your priorities get out of whack and you focus your energy on the tedious and/or mediocre. Certainly there can be a mild dopamine rush associated with the sound of a trophy popping, but none great enough to exceed the joy of playing a genuinely fantastic game. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, PFinchen said:

Nobody is forcing anybody to play the easy platinum games like Ratalaika or TellTale. The amount of posturing and gatekeeping around this topic lately has been wild. Admittedly, I'm guilty of a few garbage platinums in my time, but generally speaking I play games that are fun and go for trophies that are fun. It's almost like a fun thing ceases to be fun when your priorities get out of whack and you focus your energy on the tedious and/or mediocre. Certainly there can be a mild dopamine rush associated with the sound of a trophy popping, but none great enough to exceed the joy of playing a genuinely fantastic game. 

There’s no humane way to be like these guys unless you stack a lot of easy games. They don’t play for fun as much as they play just to stay ahead. That is not a healthy way to play video games. 

I don’t care and by not caring I feel a lot more happy. I’m a bit of a completionist, I don’t play quite as many games as some others do on here, but that’s simply personal preference. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Spaz said:

There’s no humane way to be like these guys unless you stack a lot of easy games. They don’t play for fun as much as they play just to stay ahead. That is not a healthy way to play video games. 

I don’t care and by not caring I feel a lot more happy. I’m a bit of a completionist, I don’t play quite as many games as some others do on here, but that’s simply personal preference. 

Hey, I respect the completionists! If it's your thing then have at it, this is all supposed to be fun. As you can see by my profile, I am truly horrendous at being a completionist. It's just a spattering of trophies across numerous games, it's like a Jackson Pollock painting.

1 hour ago, Spaz said:

Who honestly cares? 

The moment when Roughdawg4 started bitching over an incident last Fall that got him in trouble on this website pretty much explains the attitude a lot of these gamers have. 

Self entitled, whiny bitches. 

I don’t see the fun in playing a bunch of shitty games all day every day. About 90 percent of the crap they have on their profiles is nothing I am even remotely interested in. 

I know a couple of these guys have trophy services where you can pay them to get a platinum for you. Game sharing and paying someone by giving them your account details is outright cheating and should be banned. The moment you pay somebody to finish a game, you are a cheater to me. 

I couldn’t care less about who is on the leaderboards. They are just another gamer. Maybe them slowing down is because they are pursuing other hobbies in life, or they finally let go of using Meth and drinking 3 - 4 cans of Monster Energy to have a more normal schedule. 

Lmfao this is great.

Truth be told though, all the ratalaika stacks are ruining things. Nobody wants to play shit that bad so many times and as frequent as they pump em out just to remain competitive with others who will put up with it. Despite being trophy hunters, most of us are first and foremost gamers and love playing. As abundant as they release the stacks though, it is hard to balance playing for enjoyment as well as leaderboard position.

Edited by Angus1343
  • Like 4

I’m only gonna bother chasing platinums on games I enjoy once I hit the milestone of 125 platinums because love the feeling of earning a platinum on a game I enjoy but playing games that aren’t my cup of tea just bores the hell out of me. I plan to play for fun more often once I hit the milestone of 125 platinums. Well, I have been playing for fun lately actually but yeah, I will still trophy hunt though but just not on games that I find boring.

Edited by BrettyBoy

Wow, most in the top ten have over 1500 platinums! Surely these accounts are shared by a team (not that there's anything wrong with that)? I just don't see how these numbers would be physically possible for a single person.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, nyonmyan said:

People here only talk about earning trophies, but Roughdawg also made a lot of incredibly helpful guides and PS3Imports is a great place for JP stuff in general.

The best trophy hunters are those who help the others, on top of earning trophies themselves.

Thank you and I also think that is one thing I will not retire from.  I actually enjoyed writing those japan novel guides and I don't think I will stop doing that either.  Writing trophy guides was the best feeling I got, and with all the easy games coming out, I lost track of that as well.

I want to get back to writing trophy guides for others

• Like 4

Whatever the reason may be for whoever does retire from trophy hunting in the past, now, or the future, at least you did as much as you wanted to for it and I would honestly say that's an accomplishment you should be proud of even if you don't think so (some exceptions may apply). That's what I think at least.