So, despite being a big fan of the Metroidvania genre, I have never played any Castlevania games! (aside from the God of war style one for PS3, but that’s a whole different style)

Is this a good place to start?

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, NekoRave said:

Probably better starting from the beginning.

Castlevania anniversary comes out May 16th

Hmm, interesting - I didn’t know that was coming...

maybe I’ll hold off until then - cheers

• Like 1

• Castlevania (1986)
  • Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (1987)
  • Castlevania: The Adventure (1989)
  • Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (1989)
  • Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge (1991)
  • Super Castlevania IV (1991)
  • Kid Dracula (1993)
  • Castlevania: Bloodlines (1994)

3rd one is legit my fave

Bloodlines alone is a $200+ game (dont @  me that its cheaper loose no one should buy loose genesis games) 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, KingGuy420 said:

None of the ones in the anniversary collection are metroidvania's. Symphony of the Night is a great place to start for that side of the series.

Oh, okay - that’s interesting.

i’ve very little exposure to the series, but I’ve heard the common consensus that Symphony of the Night is the best one, so that’s all I had to go on, but I didn’t realise there were pre-metroidvania ones as well as post.

can I ask - given that the majority of matriodvania’s that I like are modern games (some favorites listed below), would you still consider Symphony to be worth a go first then?

Guacamelee

Dust: An Elysian Tale

The Mummy Demastered

Salt and Sanctuary

Strider

Rogue Legacy

9 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Oh, okay - that’s interesting.

i’ve very little exposure to the series, but I’ve heard the common consensus that Symphony of the Night is the best one, so that’s all I had to go on, but I didn’t realise there were pre-metroidvania ones as well as post.

can I ask - given that the majority of matriodvania’s that I like are modern games (some favorites listed below), would you still consider Symphony to be worth a go first then?

Guacamelee

Dust: An Elysian Tale

The Mummy Demastered

Salt and Sanctuary

Strider

Rogue Legacy

I'm also a huge Metroidvania fan and Symphony of the Night is my favorite one ever. I can't recommend it enough.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NekoRave said:

They aren't metroidvanias but considering he hasn't played Castlevania at all, playing from the beginning and going to SOTN would make more sense.

There is a chronological order of things for this series, and SOTN has a lot of references to the older games in it

To fully appreciate Castlevania, just doing the metroidvanias In my personal opinion is a disservice to the franchise and what it has to offer

I always thought of it more like Zelda. A few are directly connected but most are pretty loose. Rondo is directly connected to SOTN but I don't think any others are overly important to it. Lords of Shadow 2 was really the only one I can remember that tried to make them all relevant.

• Like 2

@NekoRave @KingGuy420

appreciate the input guys - seems like if I’m looking to get a flavour of the games as a fan of the genre but a novice for the series, jumping in at Symphony might be the way to go, and if the story gets it’s hooks in I can go back with the anniversary collection and see that stuff

I think I’m more looking for a view of what the series did in crafting the Metriodvania genre than in seeing it’s whole evolution as a story right now.

I think if I jump in at the start, I might end up burning out before I get to the ones where the gameplay is more my speed, but I’ll keep a look out for the anniversary collection when it comes!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, lordguwa said:

i have to second the castlevania anniversary. supposed to contain plenty of castlevania games even one released that wasn't seen in the states.

All of the ones in the upcoming anniversary collection have all had western releases. The only one that didn't was rondo of blood, until the psp remake

On 10‏/5‏/2019 at 9:28 AM, DrBloodmoney said:

So, despite being a big fan of the Metroidvania genre, I have never played any Castlevania games! (aside from the God of war style one for PS3, but that’s a whole different style)

Is this a good place to start?

Yes