Should the DLC/add ons trophy rarity need to some work?

ARH65512

I mean, it always pains me to see "DLC owners" yet it doesn't matter because it was still show up as "unearned trophies" on your profile even if you don't own the DLC and the fact it won't give you 100%. Other things I don't understand is that some DLCs are free. Case in point, Resident Evil 2's add on trophies don't require any payment since it comes with it. Same with Uncharted 4 and GTA 5. 

• Like 1

I've always hated how DLC "installs itself" into a trophy list regardless of whether you paid or not or not. It should be optional. Again, I don't know why the hell game and hardware designers hate options so much. Those guys are so shrewd they may as well just leave it be, so as to bolster sales from the OCD crowd. That's what you do when you've already slit your mama's throat for a nickel and still want more.

And hey, I'm not saying this just because Dishonored's broken challenge bullshit is what will finally set me on the dark path to homicidal supervillainy. I mean, it's part of it and all that, but its an issue of much greater complexity.

(#ArkaneMustDie)

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Spaz said:

My god you guys. It’s not like anybody is forcing you to play the DLC, plus your completion rates are nothing spectacular. 

Yeah, it sucks. But DLC is pretty much accepted content nowadays, even though I prefer such content to be in the base game. 

Accept it for what it is or don’t bother with the DLC content.

I'm not saying DLC shouldn't count towards 100% completion. I'm saying that the rarity doesn't make sense and yet it would still say "unearned" there. Again, I'm just saying that the "DLC owners" rarity needs some reworking because it's confusing to me how it only includes DLC owners and not the entire game owners itself. 

• Like 2

Rarity is not always an accurate reflection of difficulty. Just see the Spelunker HD trophies, for example. The plat is ultra rare... the DLC trophies are much harder, yet nothing below 7%. Maybe we could half the rarity once more... but do we want the rarity to reflect the difficulty of the game, or be an accurate percentage of how many owners earned said trophy?

As for them showing up as unearned trophies... well, perhaps it's because they are?

Edited by Midnightwards666

18 minutes ago, LastMinuteSavior said:

Say wut!? They look pretty spectacular to me.

Yeah, I looked at the first guy, he was 99.57%.  Not sure what that response was but there seems to be a common theme with that poster, wish they had an ignore feature, he does little but pollute the boards.

8 minutes ago, ARH65512 said:

I'm not saying DLC shouldn't count towards 100% completion. I'm saying that the rarity doesn't make sense and yet it would still say "unearned" there. Again, I'm just saying that the "DLC owners" rarity needs some reworking because it's confusing to me how it only includes DLC owners and not the entire game owners itself. 

It actually does not include DLC owners at this site and PSN in general has no idea how many people have played the DLC.  It is basically a random formula.

it would be nice for PS5, if they would break up trophy lists so that we could know how many have played the DLC,

• Like 2

I can fully understand not being happy with DLC especially with it coming out long after the base game is released.

This is why I consider 100 percent accounts to be a big risk. I take back what I said earlier because being near 100 percent is pretty impressive. 

Just expect that with the way gaming is now, there will be DLC coming out that you have to pay to gain access. 

4 hours ago, ARH65512 said:

some DLCs are free. Case in point, Resident Evil 2's add on trophies don't require any payment since it comes with it. Same with Uncharted 4 and GTA 5. 

I don't know how rarities are currently, but another site I've visited has a different rarity for paid and free DLC which I quite like. The free DLC (referred to as 'title update') has its rarity based on ALL game owners and I think this makes perfect sense because it's available to everyone who has the game, there's no paywall. It obviously adds some extra effort as each DLC trophy list has to be categorised into one of the two rather than just having one single formula for all DLC, but it's neato and I think worth the hassle.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, JohnCenaSong- said:

I don't know how rarities are currently, but another site I've visited has a different rarity for paid and free DLC which I quite like. The free DLC (referred to as 'title update') has its rarity based on ALL game owners and I think this makes perfect sense because it's available to everyone who has the game, there's no paywall. It obviously adds some extra effort as each DLC trophy list has to be categorised into one of the two rather than just having one single formula for all DLC, but it's neato and I think worth the hassle.

Trophy rarity for DLC on this website used to be a lot higher, but it didn't reflect the statistics all too well.

There are DLC packs that have just one trophy to them. Previously, if there was 20,000 owners and this trophy was 100 percent rarity, then that means 20,000 people earned the trophy in the DLC. That was also calculated for DLC trophy lists that have 10 - 13 trophies. It was then changed to also reflect the number of game owners who did the base game trophies, the number of owners you see for DLC packs indicates that they have at least one trophy in that DLC pack.

The max amount of points that can be allowed on a DLC pack is 195 points. Horizon Zero Dawn came out with two DLC packs for The Frozen Wilds expansion because one featured quests, the other featured feats and activities.

The formula for calculating DLC trophies changed around two years ago. Today it's more reflective of how many people have done the trophies.

Edited by Spaz

The DLC rarities definitly need some work. I did 100% in Dishonored two times. The Challenge DLC is some of the hardest shit I have ever done and the 100% rate for both stacks are 0.2 (PS3) and 0.6 (PS4). Yet, none of the DLC trophies comes close to that. On PS3 the hardest trophy is a 2.5 and on PS4 a 3.8. 

I can kind of understand why not all gameowners are counted for the DLC rarity (Not everyone, who played the game also owns the DLC). But its still quite frustrating to see these trophies with such low values in terms of rarity. Especially the PS4 version, since the DLCs are included there for free, so every gameowner is automatically a DLC owner. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Sinthoras_96 said:

The DLC rarities definitly need some work. I did 100% in Dishonored two times. The Challenge DLC is some of the hardest shit I have ever done and the 100% rate for both stacks are 0.2 (PS3) and 0.6 (PS4). Yet, none of the DLC trophies comes close to that. On PS3 the hardest trophy is a 2.5 and on PS4 a 3.8. 

I can kind of understand why not all gameowners are counted for the DLC rarity (Not everyone, who played the game also owns the DLC). But its still quite frustrating to see these trophies with such low values in terms of rarity. Especially the PS4 version, since the DLCs are included there for free, so every gameowner is automatically a DLC owner. 

Yeah, those are people who have all the trophies in both stacks. But there are plenty of people who have those ultra rare trophies who don't have everything.

PSNProfiles made a change because DLC trophies in general beforehand were a lot higher rarity. It wasn't uncommon to see common rarity trophies that may of been difficult to obtain, what we have in place is much better and better reflects the number of players who have attempted and earned such trophies.

Every game owner is automatically a DLC owner if you have GOTY and Complete Editions for most games. But that doesn't mean that every one of them earned a trophy in the DLC packs, the number of people you see just means how many people earned at least one trophy in the DLC packs.

Saints Row IV on the PS3 has a lot lower percentage of players who have 100 percented all the trophies (including DLC packs), Saints Row IV: Re-elected has a lot higher percentage of people who have 100 percented all the trophies because of the fact that the PS4 version came with all the DLC. That's just simple thinking, people in general don't like to pay for DLC which is why a lot of games that offer DLC far beyond when the initial game was released has a lot lower percentage, then a GOTY version that comes with all the DLC included.

The system we have on PSNProfiles is far from perfect and it has flaws. But it's a lot better than what we had before.

Edited by Spaz

46 minutes ago, JohnCenaSong- said:

Agree with that.

Free updates and DLCs should have the rarity based on all of the game players. I dont know if it is possible, but count how many ppl have the dlc, and not how many have earned at least one trophy

Neverwinter for example: cloacked ascendancy dlc have less dlc owners than tomb of annihilation, wich came after. That does't make sense, since you need to have all the updates installed to play the game, so they should have at least the same number of dlc owners.

Its not possible have the most recent update and not the past ones... the count of dlc owners needs a change. But its better than before

7 hours ago, Spaz said:

Yeah, those are people who have all the trophies in both stacks. But there are plenty of people who have those ultra rare trophies who don't have everything.

PSNProfiles made a change because DLC trophies in general beforehand were a lot higher rarity. It wasn't uncommon to see common rarity trophies that may of been difficult to obtain, what we have in place is much better and better reflects the number of players who have attempted and earned such trophies.

Every game owner is automatically a DLC owner if you have GOTY and Complete Editions for most games. But that doesn't mean that every one of them earned a trophy in the DLC packs, the number of people you see just means how many people earned at least one trophy in the DLC packs.

Saints Row IV on the PS3 has a lot lower percentage of players who have 100 percented all the trophies (including DLC packs), Saints Row IV: Re-elected has a lot higher percentage of people who have 100 percented all the trophies because of the fact that the PS4 version came with all the DLC. That's just simple thinking, people in general don't like to pay for DLC which is why a lot of games that offer DLC far beyond when the initial game was released has a lot lower percentage, then a GOTY version that comes with all the DLC included.

The system we have on PSNProfiles is far from perfect and it has flaws. But it's a lot better than what we had before.

I honestly highly doubt that there are plenty of people who have the challenge dlc trophies in dishonored without 100% completion. The only reason to go through this nightmare of trophies is to achieve 100% completion. 

And yeah, what you said about the system is correct. I just wish that free dlcs/complete editions would count all game owners. 

12 hours ago, thepeaguy said:

For me, platting the game is 100%'ing the original content. Unless they're fun, I'm not worried about the add ons. They're mostly a waste of money.

That’s what Platting a game is for everyone - the Platinum is never affected by the addition of DLC.

The 100% for a game, however, must always include any DLC trophies, as there is no possible value higher than 100%, and it would be very silly to have a situation where someone who has done all the dlc has 100%, and a person who stopped after the main game also had 100%.

I personally do think there should be a change to the DLC method implemented on this site - I think it is very silly that the dlc rarity percentages are not accurately calculated.

If a person has a game, then I personally think they should be counted as an owner of all of it -including all dlc, considering the fact that they would need to play that dlc to get the 100%.

Currently I believe there is a formula used based on percentages(?) - I’m not sure the exact machinations, but it makes DLC rarities artificially high - but I think that’s an argument that has been fought and lost on this site a long time ago.

• Like 2

I think it’s perfectly fine the way it is now. If you’re going to calculate DLC rarity based on all base game owners all DLC trophies that are even remotely challenging will drop to below 1% rarity. That doesn’t reflect the difficulty at all.

I admit that if the plan on the part of the developers is to cash in on OCD trophy hunters wanting that full 100% bar next to the game's name on their trophy list, it works on me. I love and hate it at the same time; it sucks because I have to pay more, but at the same time I have a reason to come back to the game. Just yesterday I went back to AC:Syndicate to play the Jack the Ripper DLC I had finally gotten on discount like a week ago, and my last save on that game was in 2016. I had liked the game, but not enough to replay it just for fun. The looming, incomplete 100% made me return though, and I had a pretty good time!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sinthoras_96 said:

I agree to this... There are many games on PS4 which include all content like Dishonored you mentioned and why is the dlc owner still much lower than the base game? Makes no sense to me... With free updates like GTA 5, Uncharted 4 or Minecraft and many more you can argue some people didn't have that content when they played the game, but everyone is given access free so the dlc ownerhsip should be up too...

• Like 1

I doubt the DLC system will ever be changed. They make plenty of money and they purposely target the trophy hunters when they do it. 

Do I think they should change? No, and this is coming from someone who has spent an uncomfortable amount of money on DLC I would not have boughten otherwise.

• Like 1

I get your point, it can be a pain in the ass sometimes... I've been putting off Tomb Raider and Assasin's Creed because of the DLCs.

But they wont change, it doesnt make sense to do so. A lot of people dont care about this and the ones who do are "forced" to buy most DLC because it messes with their completion.

That means Sony would have put in work to, at the end of the day, make less sales and as you know every sale counts.

5 minutes ago, JavaNext said:

I get your point, it can be a pain in the ass sometimes... I've been putting off Tomb Raider and Assasin's Creed because of the DLCs.

But they wont change, it doesnt make sense to do so. A lot of people dont care about this and the ones who do are "forced" to buy most DLC because it messes with their completion.

That means Sony would have put in work to, at the end of the day, make less sales and as you know every sale counts.

True.

I personally don’t see the sense in the way this site does it - it seems like half of one way and half of the other though, i.e. dlc’s count towards everyone for the purposes of 100% completion, but only a portion of people for rarity.

odd way of doing it IMO, but hey, you can’t please everyone, so I’m not all that fussed

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Sinthoras_96 said:

I honestly highly doubt that there are plenty of people who have the challenge dlc trophies in dishonored without 100% completion. The only reason to go through this nightmare of trophies is to achieve 100% completion. 

And yeah, what you said about the system is correct. I just wish that free dlcs/complete editions would count all game owners. 

Agree with the complete edition idea, but ppl may stop playing the game before the update/free dlc goes out, so it would be more accurate if the site counts how many ppl have actually played the game after the update. I dont know if there is a way to do that though... but if not, counting all of the player base would be better than how it is now.

zGaete-.png

Edited by zGaete-