5 Most Underrated Games of the Generation

25 minutes ago, phantomfear9494 said:

Honorable Mentions: Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice, The Evil Within 2, Oxenfree, RiME, The Invisible Hours, 11-11: Memories Retold.

5 - The Order 1886

3 - Wolfenstein: The New Order

I loved The Order 1886 - one of the best looking and well produced games around. I do think that their marketing and price point really worked against them though. I think they were going for a 'premium storytelling' route to justify the full price tag, but it backfired a bit. I think it's really cheap nowadays so I recommend it to everyone

Wolfenstein: The New Order is legitimately one of my favourite games of all time. Everything about it had me hooked from start to finish. They took a protagonist which was literally a 2D pixelated portrait and made him a complex and interesting human character and the ending is both moving and really well crafted emotionally too. I couldn't really get into the second, has some great set-pieces but the story just didn't hook me as much. I will definitely go back to it at some point, but not for a while.

100% agree on The Evil Within 2! Really hoping we get a third game soon. It felt like what Dead Space 2 was to Dead Space 1 in terms of tone comparison. Loved it.

Edited by Crispy_Oglop
  • Like 1

I agree with Wolfenstein, The Order 1886 (bought it for 5 bucks, so no complaints here) and Titanfall 2.

To make a top five, I would add Driveclub  (I think that with Grid Autosports are the best racing games that nailed the cross between arcade and simulation) that have a bad rep because of the Instant Game Collection debacle and Trackmania Turbo that is my favorite game in this generation. 

• Like 1

Not sure if I can come up with 5, but I deffs say Beyond Two Souls is one of games that falls into this category. It got panned by critics, but it tells an amazing story and elen page is so relatable in this game. Not to mention Wilam Dafoe's performace is spot on as always. I can see how some people may not have liked it but based on the story it tells and how much it hits you i the feels I'd say it is one of the most under rated games of this generation.

• Like 1

For some reason finding a game for this list proved to be harder than it did for the PS3 :D 

The Order 1886, i really liked this game, the world and the characters were so amazing and i really hope we see another game in the future :D
Dead or Alive 6, I know it has real issues and I do hope they fix them soon and that this game doesn't just sink, but I really enjoy the gameplay, by far the most fun I had with a fighter along with Tekken 7 and Tekken 5 :D

Final Fantasy Dissidia NT,  every single critic you can find for this game, I agree with, but damn I love it :D

For Honor, I don't think, aside from FF14, that a game has changed so much in a positive way as this one, I'm really glad I got it as a PS+ tittle I would never have thought it was this good :D

FF15, just like with FF NT, I understand why people dislike it, BUT I LOVE IT <3 

Edited by Johnathan994

3 minutes ago, Feral said:

I've seen you rave about Prey plenty of times and because of that I finally gave it a real go. Turns out you're spot on, it's bloody awesome.

? I always said... if I could convince just one person... ? ... my lunatic ranting would all be worth it ??

?

Glad you like it - what a great game it is!

• Like 3

Recently Dreams I think that game deserves and need a little more attention.

- Dc Universe Online (Love this MMORPG, it's a shame is kinda of dying right now, but one of the most fun, good looking and full of content if you like all the heroes theme).

- Injustice 2 (Honestly for me the best and more friendly and deep game of fighting for everyone).

- Lego games in general deserve more attention in my opinion.

- Outlast 2 (not for everyone but definetly hard and real horror for the fans).

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Feral said:

I've seen you rave about Prey plenty of times and because of that I finally gave it a real go. Turns out you're spot on, it's bloody awesome.

Prey is brilliant, but as an achievement/trophy completionist it got on my nerves towards the end. IMO its a game best suited for non trophy hunters, as the list doesn't do the game service. I also think that the Mooncrash DLC was a pain. 

• Like 1

Just now, Gotakibono said:

I've had Prey sitting nice and sealed on my shelf for the better part of two years... I'm starting to think I'm fairly stupid for not playing it yet.

I would never call you stupid for that - for three very important reasons:

1. You’re in a big club - it didn’t sell great, which is a tragedy

2. There was a complete lack of advertising to let people know it was as good as it was.

3. You will definitely be calling yourself that once you get 3 hours or so in, and I wouldn’t want to pile on ;) 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, phantomfear9494 said:

Prey is brilliant, but as an achievement/trophy completionist it got on my nerves towards the end. IMO its a game best suited for non trophy hunters, as the list doesn't do the game service. I also think that the Mooncrash DLC was a pain. 

See, I’d make the argument that the trophy list helps the game - it was only once I tried playing things differently than my ‘normal’ way of playing to get some of the more esoteric trophies that I started to realise just how many different choices and wierd, off-beat methods of doing things that the game allowed for.

It’s not a game for folks wanting a quick ‘one-and-done’ game, but for seasoned trophy hunters, it’s that most special of treats: a game made better by replaying and by trophy hunting.

In my opinion.

2 minutes ago, phantomfear9494 said:

(...) as the list doesn't do the game service. (...). 

That's a thing I'll never understand. Challenges are fine and I like them, but when you add things like Wolfenstein, that you have to play the whole game at the highest difficulty level without dying and without saving, then the game is out for me immediately. There are a lot of influencing factors within the game or in real life that can ruin many hours of play within a second and I just don't feel like doing something like that. My worst experience was to play Max Payne 3 at the highest difficulty level and after a good 2h (so still relatively at the beginning) the game crashed. So the mode and all future games, which offer such a thing, were dead for me.

• Like 1

Astro Bot - Yes it got great review scores, but it's possibly the best platformer ever made. If the entire world hasn't sold as many possessions as necessary to buy PSVR and this game then it is under rated. Instantly became my greatest game of all time and I've been gaming for over 3 decades.

Tokyo Xanadu - better than Persons 5, enough said.

SK Peach Beach Splash -Great shooter, lots of fun, but rated down largely due to people not liking fanservice cleavage.

Detroit Become Human - even better than B2S. Marked down due to people's prejudice over David Cage

No Man's Sky - great game still bring made better. The initial criticism were stupid, but even more so now. Can't wait to play in VR!

6 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

See, I’d make the argument that the trophy list helps the game - it was only once I tried playing things differently than my ‘normal’ way of playing to get some of the more esoteric trophies that I started to realise just how many different choices and wierd, off-beat methods of doing things that the game allowed for.

It’s not a game for folks wanting a quick ‘one-and-done’ game, but for seasoned trophy hunters, it’s that most special of treats: a game made better by replaying and by trophy hunting.

In my opinion.

You convinced me too ?. I actually bought Prey a few months ago but with all the collectibles and multiple playthroughs needed I haven’t started it yet. It will be one of the next games I’ll start. 

Edited by BB-BakkerJ
  • Like 3

I don't know how well the game did, but DOOM (2016) is the first game that comes to mind. I picked it up a year late when they made the multiplayer DLC free, and the multiplayer surprised the hell out of me. I ended up playing it all the way until max prestige. Campaign was fun as hell, too.

2 minutes ago, thefourfoldroot said:

Tokyo Xanadu - better than Persons 5, enough said.

Just ordered the Limited Edition of eX+ in the US (f*ck European distribution for this game) and I hope it's at least acceptable compared to Persona 5. Everything above will be a bonus.

54 minutes ago, Feral said:

23 minutes ago, Gotakibono said:

I've had Prey sitting nice and sealed on my shelf for the better part of two years... I'm starting to think I'm fairly stupid for not playing it yet.

9 minutes ago, BB-BakkerJ said:

You convinced me too 1f601.png. I actually bought Prey a few months ago but with all the collectibles and multiple playthroughs needed I haven’t started it yet. It will be one of the next games I’ll start. 

Yaaaasss, The Prey Revolution begins here!

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

1f622.png I always said... if I could convince just one person... 1f622.png ... my lunatic ranting would all be worth it 1f622.png1f622.png

1f602.png

Glad you like it - what a great game it is!

Ha ha ha ha life has meaning once more. Your rants also convinced me to jump on Hitman 2 sooner rather than later.

Oh yeah, it's brilliant. I'll now stalk you for more recommendations lol.

32 minutes ago, phantomfear9494 said:

Lol true, the no neuromod playthrough would be bloody hard. But still kinda wanna give it a go on PS4. 

Only seen Mooncrash gameplay not actually played it but definitely looked like torture.

• Like 1