5 Most Underrated Games of the Generation

9 minutes ago, Spaz said:

I want to know just what makes Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus bad. 

The interface isn’t as good, the map was confusing and poorly designed, the in-game cutscenes should have a “Skip” option. But those are the main issues I have with this game. 

All I’ve heard mostly is the Mein Leben difficulty. Okay fine. But that shouldn’t fully factor into the game as a whole, and I think a lot of arguments based on Mein Leben aren’t too credible. 

Kinda curious why you guys hate or dislike this game. I played through it for fun on my alt and didn’t think it was that bad at all.

Wolf 2 was pretty good overall, but the story was a bit of a mess compared to its predecessor bar few memorable moments like that movie audition.

I do think gunplay was very solid though, enough for me to warrant a second playthrough on IADI anyways. I think DLCs were alright and didn't deserve as much flak as they did, but again I loved the gunplay in this game so additional gameplay was a huge bonus for me.

As for Mein Leben, I admit I do not have the patience yet to see out a permadeath playthrough with 10+ minutes of unskippable cutscenes every time I die. But ultimately in the grand scheme of things Mein Leben is just a gameplay option that does not factor into the enjoyment of this game.

5 of the generation is really difficult, but from my experiences and from what I've seen around I think these are pretty underrated generally.

1. The Order: 1886, I agree with everything people have said about this already, I thought it was fantastic albeit short and a couple problems here and there. So much better than people give it credit for.

2. Titanfall 2 is one of my favourite fps ever, and ea suck for letting it die the way they did. It deserves the same amount of sales that CoD gets every year, unfortunately that can't happen.

3. Killzone Mercenary, this was well reviewed when it released on vita, but god damn this game needs to be played by many more than the amount of people who bought it and had vitas. Never platted this one but hands down it was one of the best handheld experiences I've ever had and is the best fps on a handheld, dunno if it'd be as good translating to console and might look dated if they try to now but it really is awesome. Although not exactly this generation, I think it is close enough to include and is worth noting.

4. Murdered Soul Suspect is in my opinion heavily underrated. It deserves some criticism, needed some more polish and better mechanics and writing to really boost most peoples scores, but for $4.50 I had a great time with it, thought it was engaging and interesting, and a really good package made by a smaller studio. It is in no way a 5-6 like most people reviewed it, the cheap price I got it for might have helped me feel fulfilled with it but I can usually separate the price from the experience anyway so I think full price I still would've really liked it.

5. Tales From the Borderlands is my favourite TellTale game and their best I think. They captured the humour and feel of Borderlands perfectly, introduced great new characters, added depth to the worlds story and surrounding lore, and was interesting and didn't get overly boring like other Telltale games. I think this came out when people were really getting sick of the constant TellTale bombardment, so this got missed quite a bit, and was connected to an already established series, but it is seriously great and should be praised as the best TellTale game, either that or TWD S1, and more people should give it a try.

As for an honourable mention I'd have to say Driveclub, seen it mentioned as well and I'm currently playing it a lot now, after leaving it when it was first free quite early, holy shit it's good. The mix between drift challenges, race and time trial are really nice and the season pass is giving me some decent challenges whilst still being enjoyable. It is one of my favourite racing games, having not played a ton of them at least. So much better than I remember it being when it launched.

Another one I haven't platted but did finish is Sniper Elite 4. This was my first Sniper Elite game and I had a blast with it. Far exceeded my expectations for it when entering without knowing much other than x-ray nut shots, really recommend it.

@DrBloodmoney You can give yourself more praise cause I think you convinced me to try Prey also. Although don't expect it anytime soon cause I don't own it yet which means it is a little down the pecking order from my untouched collection

Edited by Bairuto
Extra thoughts/info
  • Like 4

The Messenger - seems like no one has even heard of it, I never see anyone talk about it at all.

Days gone - the most immersed I have ever been in an open world game, panicking when running out of gas, running from massive hordes and even just doing side jobs for people just felt great like I was just trying to survive the apocolypse.  I loved the story even tho most think it's not great.

Mages of Mystralia - This is a very unknown game but man the spell customization is crazy you can do some pretty cool stuff and make some crazy spells.

My mind's going blank and I can't think of more but I enjoyed these 3 a ton.

Lemme go quite obscure...

Absolute Drift: Zen Edition (6,299 Owners) - A delightful challenging game that's all about drifting. It's not an open world with a million side quests or with an engaging story, it's just fun gameplay that you get a little bit better at after each attempt that is immensely satisfying once you perfect some of the most difficult challenges. Just give it a shot since I got it on sale for $4.80 one time.

Cosmic Star Heroine (4,139 Owners) - I had never played a turn-based RPG before this one. I enjoyed it greatly. Think of a retro style throwback Chrono Trigger-style shrunk into an easily digestible timespan of 15-20 hours. The battles are a ton of fun once you pick a difficulty suited for you, you'll love Alyssa, and it's just a good time for a game that I picked up on sale for $4.49 back in December 2018.

Wizard of Legend (1,901 Owners) - If you enjoy roguelites, play this. I'm not sure how it compares to the difficulty of a game like Enter the Gungeon or Binding of Isaac but after dying 50 or so times on the first few levels, I eventually became a master beating the final boss on 5 different occasions. It takes awhile to learn but the gameplay is fast-twitched which leads to really high adrenaline moments an unbelievable amount of fun. Can't say enough good things about it, picked it up for $11.19 in March when it was on sale, I highly recommend it.

Pyre (8,695 Owners) - My GOTY for 2019 that I've played thus far. Yes, I know it's a Supergiant game so it's not THAT underrated but it's a 9/10 for me and my favorite game I've played on the Playstation 4. Maybe that's extreme to some people, I thoroughly enjoyed Spider-Man, HZD, GR, etc... but there's just something special about Pyre. Think 3 v 3 sports game(like basketball but as someone who enjoys sports it's not exactly that) - with a high fantasy setting, lovely engaging story where you wondering where it'll go next, a cast and crew you can interact with and grow to love, and just gorgeous aesthetics with wonderful music. Pyre does it all - I got it for the stupidly low price of $7.99 - PLAY THIS. 

Guacamelee! 2 - (5,240 Owners) - It's a metroidvania oozing charisma with Mexican flair. You play as a luchador who has to save the world who can convert into a chicken at times. Need I say more? Tough challenging platforming / fighting mechanics but never unfair and feels wonderful once you get your moveset. I bought it for $11.99, it's well worth it at that price and you'll come away hopefully being as charmed as I was. 

• Like 3

Underrated games of an entire generation, ooh this is going to be a tricky one but I'll do my best off the top of my head.

Honourable Mention) Titanfall 2 - I'm mostly putting this one here simply because not only was it kind of overlooked and underrated, but suddenly after Apex (and having a sale on TF2 around the same time as that blew up) people started picking it up and seeing what they may have missed and almost everyone I saw who picked it up from the sale have said the same thing, that they thought it was very good. I haven't got around to playing myself, but that's why it's only an honourable mention for mostly being overlooked.

5) Resogun - As a game that basically launched with the system and more or less kicked off PS+ freebies for the generation it was quickly forgotten and discarded almost as if it were just a kind of 'starter game' for the system but it's a good game beyond just that. The gameplay is solid and replayability is there, they added a decent amount post-launch too and it's still a blast to play.

4) Transformers Devastation - This ones here mostly because of two real reasons, firstly PlatinumGames are usually always underrated games anyway and secondly in the kind of people who do buy and appreciate their games, this one was regarded as one of their weaker titles when actually I think it stands pretty close to their other work. The aesthetic is there, the smooth and satisfying combat PlatinumGames are known for is there, I can't see why people fault it so much. Is it quite MGR or Nier Automata to me? Probably not, but it doesn't need to be.

3) Driveclub - I feel bad for Driveclub, it seemed to always be in the shadow of something else when I think it was pretty darn good. I'm not big into racing games at all but I was still sucked into this game and enjoyed my time with it. I have much appreciation for the little things that I feel most people overlooked. It should be up there with the big dogs for racing games but I guess not.

2) Dead Star - I don't know now much I can say without bringing back so much heartbreak. The server closure was so upsetting, this was one of if not the best multiplayer experience I've had all generation. Not just the game but the niche community surrounding it. It was a pretty passionate and welcoming community and the devs just seemingly didn't care about us shortly after they launched the damn thing. I remember the last couple months or so of the game, there was probably only 1 or 2 lobbies at most with all the same familiar faces hanging around, a fun and actually pretty competitive environment yet if we saw new faces most of us would take it slightly easy on them and try to talk to them, encourage them to stay lol, we were basically trying to grow the game xD (there was some asshole though that was 24/7 AFK with a bot to move him so he didn't get kicked to farm XP, so it wasn't all perfect). So many good times, I just wish it got more of a following to warrant keeping the servers open.

I don't know what the developers are doing now, I know their next game after this was a bunch of crap and rightly flopped or something so... They're probably broke *shrugs*

1) Furi - This game is fantastic, if you haven't played it then do so, if you played it and didn't like it, you're wrong. But jokes aside, this game is amazing. I know it got a bit more of a push from being a PS+ title but I don't think generally it really gathered all that much attention. The gameplay is amazing, the aesthetic is nice and the soundtrack is awesome.

• Like 1

I love seeing people say the order 1886. I absolutely love that game and I bought it on release day. Yes it is wayyy too short but other than that I loved everything about it and hope one day sony greenlights a sequel. Vampyr, prey and days gone are other excellent under rated games as well thank god at least days gone is selling well so that one should see a sequel but I hope all 4 receive one since they all are great games in there own ways.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, realm722 said:

Lemme go quite obscure...

Absolute Drift: Zen Edition (6,299 Owners) - A delightful challenging game that's all about drifting. It's not an open world with a million side quests or with an engaging story, it's just fun gameplay that you get a little bit better at after each attempt that is immensely satisfying once you perfect some of the most difficult challenges. Just give it a shot since I got it on sale for $4.80 one time.

Cosmic Star Heroine (4,139 Owners) - I had never played a turn-based RPG before this one. I enjoyed it greatly. Think of a retro style throwback Chrono Trigger-style shrunk into an easily digestible timespan of 15-20 hours. The battles are a ton of fun once you pick a difficulty suited for you, you'll love Alyssa, and it's just a good time for a game that I picked up on sale for $4.49 back in December 2018.

Wizard of Legend (1,901 Owners) - If you enjoy roguelites, play this. I'm not sure how it compares to the difficulty of a game like Enter the Gungeon or Binding of Isaac but after dying 50 or so times on the first few levels, I eventually became a master beating the final boss on 5 different occasions. It takes awhile to learn but the gameplay is fast-twitched which leads to really high adrenaline moments an unbelievable amount of fun. Can't say enough good things about it, picked it up for $11.19 in March when it was on sale, I highly recommend it.

Pyre (8,695 Owners) - My GOTY for 2019 that I've played thus far. Yes, I know it's a Supergiant game so it's not THAT underrated but it's a 9/10 for me and my favorite game I've played on the Playstation 4. Maybe that's extreme to some people, I thoroughly enjoyed Spider-Man, HZD, GR, etc... but there's just something special about Pyre. Think 3 v 3 sports game(like basketball but as someone who enjoys sports it's not exactly that) - with a high fantasy setting, lovely engaging story where you wondering where it'll go next, a cast and crew you can interact with and grow to love, and just gorgeous aesthetics with wonderful music. Pyre does it all - I got it for the stupidly low price of $7.99 - PLAY THIS. 

Guacamelee! 2 - (5,240 Owners) - It's a metroidvania oozing charisma with Mexican flair. You play as a luchador who has to save the world who can convert into a chicken at times. Need I say more? Tough challenging platforming / fighting mechanics but never unfair and feels wonderful once you get your moveset. I bought it for $11.99, it's well worth it at that price and you'll come away hopefully being as charmed as I was. 

Great choices - Cosmic Star Heroine is such a fantastic game - genuinely perfect blend of retro and modern, and scratches that Chorotrigger itch just perfectly.

I liked Pyre quite a bit, haven’t played Guacamelee 2 yet (bur I don't need convincing on that one, just time, as I played the first one and it was brilliant)

Not tried Absolute Drift, or Wizard of Legend, but I’m going to look out for them - your tastes seem to align with mine I think 

Edit - just bought both - Wizard of Legend in particular looks right up my alley :) 

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 2

I haven't played enough on PS4 to be able to list five games here but fully agree with many people here about The Order: 1886 - it's sure not flawless but I spent a very pleasant time on it. Story's interesting and I found the characters very well developed, with a pretty good voice acting. And last but not least, it's a damn technical masterpiece, the first ever game I can think of that actually could be called photorealistic. Very underrated and very severly judged in my opinion, but all this is soooo subjective ?

I have another game that comes to my mind but as I have not played it myself, I might be wrong about it: Echo. I had heard a lot of positive comments about it and had a look on some Youtube videos, it looks quite interesting. And yet, less than 600 owners on this site to day... Is it that bad?

17 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Yaaaasss, The Prey Revolution begins here!

Wow, so much Prey fans around here. I might give it a go if I have the opportunity... 

Edited by Neef-GT5
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, JohnCenaSong- said:

1) Furi - This game is fantastic, if you haven't played it then do so, if you played it and didn't like it, you're wrong. But jokes aside, this game is amazing. I know it got a bit more of a push from being a PS+ title but I don't think generally it really gathered all that much attention. The gameplay is amazing, the aesthetic is nice and the soundtrack is awesome.

Not sure that we can call Furi actually underrated, I has had very positive feedbacks and quite decent sales, plus a now very strong community around it...

Edited by Neef-GT5

9 hours ago, Neef-GT5 said:

Not sure that we can call Furi actually underrated, I has had very positive feedbacks and quite decent sales, plus a now very strong community around it...

If Furi doesn't count as 'underrated' then I think a good 50%+ of this thread doesn't either.

A lot of the games posted here had good reviews, decent sales etc. but it's not just 'okay' and 'good', the posters feel the games deserve more than that, and that's what I'm running with.

Furi may have been decently appreciated in the indie space for a little while, but when's the last time you've honestly seen someone mention it? If you ask random people on your friends list would they know what it is? Also, being known mostly in the indie crowd could be justification for saying it's underrated alone.

That being said, any game could technically be considered underrated just as any game can be overrated. It's the personal subjective view that it deserves differently to the attention it actually got. God of War could feel underrated to someone, Fallout76 could feel overrated to someone lol.

• Like 2

I've been staring at this thread the past few days and I think I finally have a decent list of games.

1. The Last Guardian - I get it. The controls are wonky as hell and Trico is just a better version of Yorda, but let's not act like this game did nothing right. The landscape was beautiful, the story was heartwarming, and the game does a great job when it comes to building a relationship. The gameplay is decent, but I understand the criticisms. I really like the reverse roles of being the protected rather than the protector. It gave us a new perspective on the game that anyone could enjoy.

2. Rigs: MCL - I've seen so many reviews that just utterly shit on this game, but I found it fantastic. Sure, the environment isn't always clear, but it was one of the first VR games. The gameplay makes this game a top 5 VR game, and I loved the challenging AI in it. Both teammates and enemies made you feel like you were playing a real person. This game was an absolute joy to platinum and I don't regret a single minute I spent playing it either... Even after the platinum to play with friends.

3. Reverie - This is an indie game that plays like a classic legend of Zelda game and is made by a studio in NZ. The game is short (5-6 hours), but I had a total blast going down memory lane. This is the perfect example where not all easy plats are trash games. It's still to this day my most common (by rarity) platinum in my collection.

4. Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes - Probably one of the best VR experiences out there. It's a great party game with friends and family and gives you a fun challenge. My brother and I got really good at the game and even picked up a little Morse code! Haha. You think Skyrim VR is intense? Try this!

5. Creed: Rise to Glory - Another VR game that doesn't get the love it deserves. It literally feels like a Punch out game in VR. You have to study your opponent's movements and patterns and be able to physically dodge and counter at the right time to win. It's fun, clever, and gets you a really good workout after 30 minutes... especially on the hardest difficulty!

Edited by Beyondthegrave07
Grammar
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, JohnCenaSong- said:

that they thought it was very good. I haven't got around to playing myself, but that's why it's only an honourable mention for mostly being overlooked.

You should rectify that. I haven't managed to beat the speedrun trophy, but the game is incredibly fun. I love the parkour, and see how much BO3 tried to copy it to mixed results. Even the hardest mode is easy (except for two, maybe three, boss battles) but seriously, the collectathon was fun, because it required using new paths and agility to get to the helmets. I hoped for a single player DLC, but oh well. I still await Titanfall 3. 

13 hours ago, JohnCenaSong- said:

don't know what the developers are doing now

Apparently moved on to develop VR games. 

• Like 1

On 5/13/2019 at 6:14 AM, DrBloodmoney said:

I would never call you stupid for that - for three very important reasons:

1. You’re in a big club - it didn’t sell great, which is a tragedy

2. There was a complete lack of advertising to let people know it was as good as it was.

3. You will definitely be calling yourself that once you get 3 hours or so in, and I wouldn’t want to pile on ;) 

So I think the biggest turn off for me was the demo they released. I was super psyched for Prey, to the point I almost pre-ordered it... then PS4 allowed a demo to be played... and I never trouched it again after that.  Controls were clunky and just a plain mess.

To my understanding the controls were patched either shortly after the game released or maybe it was fixed before release... but that experience ruined it for me... and I have a hard time even trying it because of that. Honestly if the demo wouldn't have been released, i bet it would have sold significantly more.

i only have 4

Prey

This game has already been raved about in this thread so i dont feel the need to stack on anymore, but if you haven't yet, play it.

Darksiders 3

This game didnt sell well i dont think, and the series deserves so much more love. the games are great, and have lots of comparisons to some of my other favorite video games like Legend of Zelda, God of War, and Dark Souls.

The Last Guardian

This games controls and mechanics can be infuriating at times and that causes a lot of people to dislike the game, which is unfortunate because it is a beautiful game with a story that i still wonder about. and its made by team Ico who do great work.

The Order: 1886

Again, this has been mentioned already but i will throw my hat in as well. This game wqs good, just way too short. Its available for extremely reasonable prices these days and is worth it for a short but fun ride.

Edited by danceswithsloths
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, SwampGas said:

So I think the biggest turn off for me was the demo they released. I was super psyched for Prey, to the point I almost pre-ordered it... then PS4 allowed a demo to be played... and I never trouched it again after that.  Controls were clunky and just a plain mess.

To my understanding the controls were patched either shortly after the game released or maybe it was fixed before release... but that experience ruined it for me... and I have a hard time even trying it because of that. Honestly if the demo wouldn't have been released, i bet it would have sold significantly more.

I didn’t know that about the demo - I never really play demos much. That’s a real shame - I never found the controls to be any hindrance in the full game, but I can imagine a bad demo putting people off - poor controls are certainly a  very good way to turn people away from a game.

Rest assured though - it plays perfectly smoothly now: the controls are very similar in feel to Bioshock/ Dishonored

• Like 1

Alien Isolation

Mirror's Edge Catalyst

Mass Effect Andromeda

Elite Dangerous

Prey

Edit: and my little games top 5 would've been: Ruiner, Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice, Q.U.B.E. 2, Bridge Constructor Portal and Planetbase

Edited by llljulll
  • Like 1

Headlander

Halloween Forever

Pyre

The Sexy Brutale

Beyond Eyes

Honourable mentions to Knowledge is Power, Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons, Stories and This War of Mine, which are four fantastic PS Plus games that rarely get mentioned.

Edited by DaikichiKawachi

On 5/13/2019 at 4:57 AM, phantomfear9494 said:

Lots of cool stuff.

I can understand your choices for underrated games, but why Wolfenstein: The New Order?

I checked the Wikipedia article. Metacritic score across all three platofrms is 79 plus, it sold well in a saturated genre (FPS), won numerous awards, and spawned an expansion and a sequel.

Can you go into further detail why you didn't like the New Colossus.

I want to play/plat the series, but I'm not sure if I want to play Wolfenstein 3D, Wolfenstein 2009, and the New Colossus.

Edited by Chocolat_GiddyUp

Mafia III - so much hate for such an addictive game

The End Is Nigh - action platformer fan's wet dream convicted to linger in other platformers' shadow

Unravel - beautiful platformer, one of the best indie games

Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare - even haters of online shooters can get a lot of fun from this title

Snake Pass - another very unique and pretty "platformer"

Edited by Spinosaurus Rex
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Rest assured though - it plays perfectly smoothly now: the controls are very similar in feel to Bioshock/ Dishonored

And you pretty much just sold me when you said Bioshock... Well played sir, well played.

7 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I never really play demos much.

Same, that's why I was so bummed. :/

• Like 1