Starting Over With The Series

BigPete7978

This game was the original reason that I purchased an Xbox 360 a long time ago. I have all three titles collector's editions on Xbox 360, but I also own them digitally on the PlayStation 3. It is honestly one of my favorite series of all time, though I have yet to complete Mass Effect 3 as of yet. So I figure now is as good of time as any to go through and start over on the PS3 and attempt to get the Platinum trophies for the three games in the series. 

Who else is going for the platinum trophy in the first game? Or who is experiencing this great series for the first time on the PlayStation 3?

1S91fb8e.png1Sbb5b52.png1S4eb8d3.png

So you to want to be a 3 time N7 Elite

Well good luck with that because Mass Effect 1 platinum is the most tedious. Requires a minimum of 3 play throughs because of the ally trophies and you will get really annoyed of boring side missions and that damn Mako

Mass Effect 2 has the most difficult Insanity difficulty but its only really difficult if you start fresh

Mass Effect 3 is probably the easiest to platinum as Insanity is not difficult as ME2 and some of the trophies can be obtained on multiplayer.

• Like 1

for ME1 Soldier

for ME2 and ME3 Infiltrator

if you are going for platinum then for ME1 use Engineer because they are power trophies that only engineer can do. Same with Adept.

Doesn't Adept have access to all the power trophies? That's what I started out as last night so I could earn those trophies fairly quickly. Then I was going to possibly start as Soldier class on the second playthrough of the game. 

Doesn't Adept have access to all the power trophies? That's what I started out as last night so I could earn those trophies fairly quickly. Then I was going to possibly start as Soldier class on the second playthrough of the game. 

not immediately but fairly early, around level 8 you should have access to all adept powers that it doesn't warrent a adept run

but because of AI hacking you will have to do an engineer run

This is how I platinumed Mass Effect 1:

My first playthrough was a Soldier class so that way I managed to get the story-related trophies, collectibles, etc. but my first playthrough I didn't do the ally trophies. It's best to get Tali and Liara as soon as possible so you can do all the main quests and side quests with them. The trophy should pop up halfway through the game. Mine usually popped up during the Bring Down the Sky quest. As a soldier you should also be able to get the Assault Rifle, Shotgun, and Sniper trophies. The easy way to do this is there is a planet in the Attican Beta system where you have to get a transmitter from Space Monkeys (I think they are called Pyjaks in lore). There are four or five nests with ten in each. You can easily rack up 150 kills by getting them with a shotgun, sniper, whatever weapon you please. All you have to do is save before you start killing them and then reload when you're done. It will still count if you reload your save.

It might be a good idea to get your Soldier up to level 60 for the Hardcore and Insanity trophies. It's much easier that way, but it's up to you.

Your second playthrough you can be an Engineer or Adept, but I went with Engineer because the tech powers aren't as easy to get like the Adepts. As an Engineer you should be able to get another two ally trophies, I recommend Wrex and Garrus because Garrus requires you to do 50 quests/side-quests with him. At level 30 I believe you will get the option to pick a sub-class. I chose Medic because they get Neural Shock which is one of the power trophies. The thing with Neural Shock is it requires you to hit organic enemies. However, I believe the Space Monkey trick in the Attican Beta system can work here. As an Engineer you will also need to A.I. Hack things too, but there are plenty of Geth to fight so you should be able get this in a single playthrough.

For your third playthrough, I went with Engineer and did the Hardcore difficulty and the second-to-last ally trophy being Garrus and Wrex. But since you can do that on your second playthrough, you can do this with Ash and Kaidan too. Hardcore isn't too tough, just make sure you have the HWMA weapons and the X-rated armor. The best armor you can get in the game is from beating the Bring Down the Sky mission when one of the NPC's ask you what kind of reward you want. Be sure to ask for Light Armor if you are an Engineer. The armor will scale to your level making the rest of the game pretty easy if you are a level 50-60.

For your Insanity Playthrough, this is where the level 60 Soldier comes in handy. If you have the other two ally trophies out of the way you can pick whoever comes with you, and you won't have to worry about doing all the side-quests and just do the story ones unless you want to. The reason Soldier is a good choice is because they have Immunity and Overkill which are very helpful in the long run. I also brought Ash and Wrex with me because they both have Immunity and all three together is a pain train.

The very last thing I did to get Platinum was the Adept powers. All I did was level up to where I had all the powers, go to the Citadel and target a Rapid Transit terminal and then use your powers on it. It's tedious but the trophies should pop after a while.

I hope I didn't tell you stuff you already knew. But I hope it helps regardless! Good luck!

I can type one up for Mass Effect 2 and 3 if you want.

• Like 1

I've never played a Mass Effect game (yet), but after getting ME3 free with plus I decided to pick up a copy of ME2 cheap. Not gonna play either yet as I'm gonna start with ME1 first (because I like to do things in a certain order), but am waiting on a price drop in the PSN store before I buy it because I'm a cheap-ass. :P

What classes do you recommend? In my previous playthroughs of the game on 360 I went with the Vanguard class for Shepard I believe. 

If you're just having fun, Vanguard is the way to go. If you're going for trophies, however, Soldier just cannot be beaten. It makes Insanity an absolute cakewalk.

• In ME1 go Soldier with Liara (crowd control) and Tali (enemy debuffs) for squadmates, and wait to do Insanity until you're in the mid-50s with Spectre Master Gear.
  • ME2, Soldier utlizing maxed-out Adrenaline Rush, Inferno Ammo, and the Widow sniper rifle will cut a swathe of destruction, particularly if paired with Miranda (Warp and Overload) and Grunt (damage sponge).
  • ME3, I'd go the same route (although if you have access to the N7 Warfare pack from the CE, the N7 Valiant is the best rifle to have) using Liara and Garrus as squadmates. Liara is essentially an infinite grenade factory, especially with quick cooldowns on Singularity and Warp, and Garrus's overload lets you deal easily with Cerberus and Geth enemies. His tripmine power can also be used as a grenade when in trouble.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

1S91fb8e.png1Sbb5b52.png1S4eb8d3.png

So you to want to be a 3 time N7 Elite

Well good luck with that because Mass Effect 1 platinum is the most tedious. Requires a minimum of 3 play throughs because of the ally trophies and you will get really annoyed of boring side missions and that damn Mako

Mass Effect 2 has the most difficult Insanity difficulty but its only really difficult if you start fresh

I played ME1 a minimum of like five times to achieve the Platinum trophy. Yes, the side missions are tedious and boring after a while because they're so similar, but I love the main story and am currently on another playthrough.

When I first played ME2, I did the insane thing and started a new game on Insanity. Yes, it was hard as all heck, and your teammate's AI just plain sucks making it harder, but I overcame the difficulty and cherished the down times between fire fights.

Edited by Pirelli913

Engineers have availability to all tech powers (sabotage, overload, neural shock, etc). Adepts have availability to all biotic powers (throw, warp, lift, singularity, etc). Soldiers have availability to all weapons (shotgun, sniper rifle, assault rifle, pistol).

If one wishes to get the trophies for using all weapons and powers, these are the three classes that should be used for your three (minimum) playthroughs.

While using soldier, have Garrus/Tali and Liara as squad mates for their two available trophies. Liara's trophy is the most difficult. As soon as you can take the Normandy across the universe, go recruit her BEFORE doing even one side mission on the Citadel.

While using engineer, have Wrex and Ashley as your squad mates. SPOILER ALERT!!! (This means killing Kaidan on Virmire.) END SPOILER!!!

While using adept, have Garrus/Tali and Kaidan as your squad mates. SPOILER ALERT!!! (This means killing Ashley on Virmire.) END SPOILER!!!

The female squad mates (Tali, Liara, Ashley) are all 100% in their respective fields: Tali - 100% engineer, Liara - 100% adept, Ashley - 100% soldier.

The male squad mates (Garrus, Wrex, Kaidan) are all 50% in two fields: Garrus - 50/50 engineer/soldier, Wrex - 50/50 adept/soldier, Kaidan - 50/50 engineer/adept.

If you're playing as soldier, you don't want another soldier as your squadmate. The same if you're playing as engineer or adept. Cheers!

• 10 months later...

Only recently picked up Mass Effect from the PS Store...First game I ever bought when I had my 360 ( about 7 years ago ) but I've been on the PS3 since 2010. I really can't wait to play through this again...such a breathtaking game.

• 1 year later...

I've never played a Mass Effect game (yet), but after getting ME3 free with plus I decided to pick up a copy of ME2 cheap. Not gonna play either yet as I'm gonna start with ME1 first (because I like to do things in a certain order), but am waiting on a price drop in the PSN store before I buy it because I'm a cheap-ass. :P

lol i go the whole trilogy on hrd copy for like 20 u.s. dollors few years back now its even cheaper  witing on digitial to price drop is a fools errend digital will usually always be more expensive 

lol i go the whole trilogy on hrd copy for like 20 u.s. dollors few years back now its even cheaper  witing on digitial to price drop is a fools errend digital will usually always be more expensive 

I actually did end up getting the first game in a sale for around £5. I also ended up buying all the DLCs for the games also in a sale for less than half the price.

Just for the record, The ME Trilogy has been on sale in the US PSN store for $4.80 at one point and is currently on sale in the UK PSN for £11.99 in the Summer Sale. Digital is not necessarily more expensive. I buy pretty much all of my digital games on sale and am always happy with the deals I get.

• Like 1

I actually did end up getting the first game in a sale for around £5. I also ended up buying all the DLCs for the games also in a sale for less than half the price.

Just for the record, The ME Trilogy has been on sale in the US PSN store for $4.80 at one point and is currently on sale in the UK PSN for £11.99 in the Summer Sale. Digital is not necessarily more expensive. I buy pretty much all of my digital games on sale and am always happy with the deals I get.

I try to limit my digital purchases simply because I read the Sony terms of service that says even tho I spent money I do not in any way own the purchase and it can be tsken, deleted, or blocked from me at any time at sony's disgression so unless it's free or so cheap I can afford to blow the cash I go hard copy cause those I can own and they cant break in my house legally and take it back