Drones/Balloons missable?

Valkirye22

Anyone know if these two collectibles are missable?

I'm asking because i failed to get 2-3 drones as they started flying away mid-firefight when I wasn't even going for them and if the balloons count with destruction or do you also have to pick up the box they drop? Shot one down running after a convoy, when I came back that little loot box it drops was gone.

39 minutes ago, Mr_PaNtsONh3aD said:

Is there any good way to farm the kill vehicles with Phoenix and Dodge kill bike riders?

Take out Convoys. The multi vehicle ones normally have 3 bikes, plus another 3 - 5 cars. 

• Like 1

So, I did a bit of collecting, backtracking and trial and error on the drones - for people like me who missed a few and were late to the autosave reload party.

The best in-game way to track/notify yourself of them is the collector nanitrite-thingy, you can pick which upgrades you want but it's worth rushing the story arc with Dr. Kvesir (you get the project upgrade possibility after running the first mission for him after meeting)

Don't invest in points for the ARK boxes, datapads, crates etc. Just Drones (you might have to pick one extra in that case pick the lesser evil ARK or storage they are more easily found/collected to be out of your way and generally useful for upgrades and materials) This will be useful as when you're driving around past locations you've already cleared if you get the radar mark it will mean the drone is back and you can have another go if you previously lost it.

While they do have random spawns there are some rules

- they will return to the area where you lost them (i approached the map cleaning a bit more methodically and I roughly remembered the few location I lost them yesterday in the first two areas, went back to drive past a few with the drone collector nantrite-whatever and it did ping. I found 3 drones I missed last night on the same locations, the ones they flew away from. Could mean a load/game reset spawns them back

- they are (as a rule of thumb not 100%) usually located in smaller enemy camps (shrouded pylons, goon gas stations) and trader posts where the trading organization (vending machines) are present more often then big bases (e.g. slittown etc.) so if you missed a few start backtracking and looking there [I don't think I found any at mission locations, enemy free locations (such as shrines), and small points of interest with no enemies or trading machines (just building/s with maybe 1 datapad or a storage crate)

Hope it helps a little bit

[edit] Lost ranger locations can also have them fairly frequently

Edited by Valkirye22
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Valkirye22 said:

The best in-game way to track/notify yourself of them is the collector nanitrite-thingy, you can pick which upgrades you want but it's worth rushing the story arc with Dr. Kvesir (you get the project upgrade possibility after running the first mission for him after meeting)

Don't invest in points for the ARK boxes, datapads, crates etc. Just Drones (you might have to pick one extra in that case pick the lesser evil ARK or storage they are more easily found/collected to be out of your way and generally useful for upgrades and materials) This will be useful as when you're driving around past locations you've already cleared if you get the radar mark it will mean the drone is back and you can have another go if you previously lost it.

If I'm not mistaken, You HAVE to purchase the storage container and data pad tracker before you can purchase the spy drone tracker. You don't need to purchase the feltrite or ark chest tracker and recommend not doing so for the purpose of the trophy. Also, using the Icarus gyrocopter is great for zipping around the locations quickly. Fly low over each location to scout it. 

3 hours ago, LegacyJKO09 said:

finding the drones is one thing, but i blast them with some shots and they fly off. not dying. so guess im just gonna rocket the sacks of ****

I absolutely rolled with the rocket launcher while drone hunting, better safe than sorry.

as for reloading drone saves it’ll only help you get that specific one if it flew off.

Also, and this was weird, the last few drones I got didn’t always drop new intel. I was at 26 drone intel, killed one, was still at 26 and then the trophy popped for me at 28 pieces.

i used the wonderful guide on ps4trophies and the one Powerpyx made, between the two of them (and obviously keeping an eye out while playing naturally) it’s really nowhere near the worst collectible experience I’ve had.

• Like 1

You can farm balloons really really easily in the Dune sea. If you look in the bottom right hand corner there is a space of just sand dunes surrounded by map points like the Dune Sea Eco Pod and Recharge Station Alpha. If you just drive around in that area a 1-2 balloons spawns there every 1-2 minutes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jables4889 said:

I absolutely rolled with the rocket launcher while drone hunting, better safe than sorry.

as for reloading drone saves it’ll only help you get that specific one if it flew off.

Also, and this was weird, the last few drones I got didn’t always drop new intel. I was at 26 drone intel, killed one, was still at 26 and then the trophy popped for me at 28 pieces.

i used the wonderful guide on ps4trophies and the one Powerpyx made, between the two of them (and obviously keeping an eye out while playing naturally) it’s really nowhere near the worst collectible experience I’ve had.

couldnt find ps4trophies guide. powerpyx is so far working for most. while some areas i cleared flew away before i knew wtf drones looked like or that they flew away lol.

also my stats keep resetting a ton. so i think ive killed maybe.13-16?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, LegacyJKO09 said:

couldnt find ps4trophies guide. powerpyx is so far working for most. while some areas i cleared flew away before i knew wtf drones looked like or that they flew away lol.

Yeah the stats are rubbish, they aren't accurate at all. Actual progress is somehow accurate though.

26 minutes ago, Crispy_Oglop said:

Yeah the stats are rubbish, they aren't accurate at all. Actual progress is somehow accurate though.

uh is there a difference to looking at actual progress ? would love a count on balloons/drones -.-

*your tip is working too  3 in 9mins.

EDIT: no more balloons showing

Edited by LegacyJKO09
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, LegacyJKO09 said:

uh is there a difference to looking at actual progress ? would love a count on balloons/drones -.-

*your tip is working too  3 in 9mins.

Oh sorry! i meant progress as in my own tracking is more accurate than the stats. **reaches for coffee**

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Crispy_Oglop said:

Oh sorry! i meant progress as in my own tracking is more accurate than the stats. **reaches for coffee**

haha im right there too. spent 5 mins checking bethesda.net and in game for better tracking. made a coffee but done for the night. 

sooner theres a map for drones the quicker i can 100%.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, LegacyJKO09 said:

haha im right there too. spent 5 mins checking bethesda.net and in game for better tracking. made a coffee but done for the night. 

sooner theres a map for drones the quicker i can 100%.

There's probably never going to be a drone map that will work for everybody unless the game is patched. I used the map linked below to locate places I hadn't found on my own and I thankfully ended up getting the last drone I needed at one of the last places I hadn't discovered. The map is missing a few spots I had already discovered but I believe nearly everything is on there.

https://game-maps.com/RAGE2/Full-Rage-2-Map.asp

Edited by Killbomb
  • Like 1

I am almost certain that every drone has 2 spots, and where it sits between those 2 spots are randomised, it isn't randomly at ANY location on the map. 

Followed the 33 locations PP has found, and I found 12 drones, which isn't terribly far from a 50/50 ratio, and every time it was in the exact spot he mentioned

I have found 4 drones myself, making my current total 16.  Only took me around 1.5-2 hours to get half, so it isn't TOO bad.

I am about to use PS4Trophies locations in his video, see where that gets me, and was very helpful in terms of general advice (i.e. the saving).

If you've followed every known location so far, you're best using a location map and just going to every one, clearing the objective, and using the sensor to see if there is a drone. If you had foresight, you can upgrade just the spy drone, the data pad and storage box sensors. Do not upgrade sensors for anything else. This means that once you've done the location, if your sensor is still active, its a drone. You can't upgrade the drone sensor without the data pad or storage box ones, unfortunately. 

I managed to hunt down the last drones yesterday for the plat, I really don't know what so say regarding the tracking - the in game statistics said I found 6 (lol) drones and manually counting the found intel/logs sums up to 28, I personally think I did get 30. This was at the time I got the trophy.

There's a guide on Pyx's site but it is quite general and in locations you're bound to visit - in the end you will spend some 2-3 hours flying around locations you visited/aren't sure you did, best I can recommend is keeping an ear out for the humming from when you start the game (if you want to go all the way write down the locations you got them at to eliminate later). And work to get the drone radar in Kvasir's projects.

[Clear out crates because you'll have to get the radar for that prior to drones and that way you'll know if you find something on radar later that it's a drone]

They will almost certainly be at every 2nd-3rd Bandit den (Hogs and Goons) and Shrouded pylon sites, fairly frequently at Pit Stops and/or Roadblocks so focus while there when cleaning out. Also points of interest - white markers on the map, even the smallest ones with 1-2 crates sometimes have a drone on them but since there are dozens of them most won't - I suggest searching them as soon as you found them If the marker is on a building (shack, bar, garage, any kind of structure with or without enemies) focus those are most likely to have them.

Arks by my estimate I found 4-5 drones between all of them and some 2-3 drones between all Lost Ranger sites.

Mutant Bash buildings don't have any, and I haven't found any outside mutant nests, and only one outside the Dune sea Crusher nest on entrance to the underground garage.

Also, in my experience if you miss a drone (I missed a few at the beginning, few bandit den locations in the first area) and come back later (day after) after restarting the game drones will respawn there, they won't stay at whatever location they ran off to initially.

As for the Balloons I also followed the Dune sea circling advice, i got my last 6-7 Balloons there in less than 20 mins, and while revisiting all locations later for drones I had quite a few spawn in that area while I was flying around.

1 hour ago, LegacyJKO09 said:

literally the load screen even says drones only fly between 2 places. so if you miss one, look at the direction it flies off and explore areas that way.

Some people think that these two are completely random though, whereas the intel I read said that these are the same 2 places for everyone, just randomised which one of the two it is. 

5 hours ago, LegacyJKO09 said:

That guide is on YouTube.

When I was talking about drone info tracking, I am referring to the tracking NOT UNDER STATISTICS.  Under Log/Info/Spy Drones you can view the files they drop, that is a more accurate tracker. The actual statistics page said I got 18.

its tedious but the 2-3 hours it’ll take to use these guides will be more efficient than doing it without the guides!

• Like 1

On 5/15/2019 at 6:16 PM, PS_4Trophies said:

If I'm not mistaken, You HAVE to purchase the storage container and data pad tracker before you can purchase the spy drone tracker. You don't need to purchase the feltrite or ark chest tracker and recommend not doing so for the purpose of the trophy. Also, using the Icarus gyrocopter is great for zipping around the locations quickly. Fly low over each location to scout it. 

You have to either purchase the Datapad or the storage tracker.  Not both.   The way it looks makes it seem like you need both, but you don't.

• 2 months later...