Favorite PlayStation Platformer? (Plat Cast Topic)

ChernobylNinja

Hey guys as many of you know @Bushido7745785 and myself host a podcast called Plat Cast and every week we ask a topic for discussion here on psnprofiles and we read out your responses on our podcast and our topic this week is:

What is your favorite PlayStation platformer? Be it a game from your childhood or a recent good time, sound off below!

Also, join our discord! We talk about anything and everything and is the best way to suggest topics/chat with Zack (he is there he just lurks!) and myself discord.gg/hbTaVvh 

If I'm thinking of a game that is mostly a platformer and has the best platforming action (not just have platformer elements), I have to go either Gravity Rush or Astro Bot Rescue Mission.

I say gravity rush because there's just so much interesting platforming you can do due to the ability to shift gravity. This gives the game something different from the Jak and Daxters or Sly Coopers of the world. I might also be bias since I think gravity would be one of the coolest super powers and always wanted it in a game.

Astro Bot Rescue Mission is just pure platforming fun. It gives you a new perspective with the VR and is just a joy. It's not overly-difficult like Crash Bandicoot (overly-difficult for me at least. I get it. Some people are just great at these games... I'm not one of them :P) and has more charm than Spyro IMO.

I naturally thought "Mario" but it's PlayStation only and these 2 are my favorites on PlayStation.

• Like 1

A personal favorite of mine is Ratchet & Clank. I grew up with the games and just love the series to death.

A more recent experience would be LittleBigPlanet, had a blast going through 3 with my brother and the games are always a good time with friends.

• Like 2

Embers of Mirrim PS4. Beautiful hidden gem of game that I can't reccomend enough! Platted it twice now. 

Guacamelee PS3. The best platformer/metrovidian game I've ever played hands down. 

Ratchet & clank PS2. Endless love for this series. 

Crash Bandicoot PS1. Endless love for these timeless classics. I preordered the remasters as soon as I could and have done the same with nitro kart. Can not wait! 

Slain back from hell PS Vita. Also available on PS4 as crossbuy. Seriously enjoyable platformer, the trophy hail to the horned metal god is worthy alone (headbang after defeating every boss) ?

If we’re talking just exclusive to PlayStation then LittleBigPlanet 3. I’m currently playing this with my gf and we’re having a blast with it. The whole world is cute, charming, with just the right amount of challenge to keep us coming back for more. 

Otherwise, my favorite platformer would be Sonic Mania. The game was so nostalgic and made me feel like a child again playing it. 

So lets make no mistake, Jak & Daxter is THE best platformer on PlayStation. I had a friend staying over at my house at the weekend and we rented it from blockbuster on PS2. It was his recommendation as I hadn't heard of it at the time. We played it all night and all the following day until he had to go home. I eventually bought the game and completed it but didn't get the 100%. I then re bought it on PS3 and got that beautiful platinum trophy. 

Imagine my devastation though when I then started Jak II shortly after having missed it the first time round. Seeing as you guys did a whole patreon episode on why that game is garbage I don't feel I need to explain myself.

An honourable mention does also have to go to Rayman Origins. When I got my PS3 it was the only game I had and after finishing the game I had a glance at the trophy list. Having played on Xbox previously and having no inclination to get achievement points I never considered going for a platinum trophy when I bought my PS3 but I thought it looked doable and would get me an extra weeks entertainment before I had to drop another £40 on a game.

That was my first platinum trophy and 7 years later I am on a trophy hunting website and a member of your excellent trophy hunting community so I guess I have a platformer to thank for getting me here.

Nintendo rightfully asserted itself as the One True King of the genre long before the PSOne was even a glint in anyone's eye. Consequently, my top ten platformers--hell, maybe even top twenty--are all Nintendo ones, and a majority of those are 2D ones at that. More importantly, the majority predate the rise of 3D consoles, and its resultant change in the very ethos of platforming, for better or worse.

As I sit here consulting my mind palace, I struggle to come up with even one PS platformer of any significant superlativity. The Crash Bandicoot trilogy, the original Jak and Daxter (the sequels typify everything I hate about "sandbox" platformers), the Sly games, and that's about it. On the whole, platform games seem to constitute very little of the sum total of PlayStation games I've played, let alone ones I've any particular fondness for. Never really paid much of any mind to the subject before, to be honest. Thanks for the food for thought.