Why I Trophy Hunt

TrophyChief

One of the earliest profile achievements I can remember is sending the gnome to space in HL2 (I still have my orange box). Been hooked ever since. Before that, personal achievements like unlocking every character in TimeSplitters just because I loved that series.

For me

- they add new challenges. Im playing a game that's fun/entertaining, so it adds replay value, more bang for the buck.

- they add a different way to play (oh crap an explosion, where did my gnome go?). 

- the devs added a lot of lore/backstory/history to the world, many players unenthusiastically call collectables. I normally don't mind.

- sometimes they are funny, maybe adding a piece of dialogue/scene that gives you a good chuckle. 

Now of course some trophies are badly designed...

Lastly, I started a bad habit after my gaming hiatus of a few years. Feeling like "So many good ones passed by now I gotta catch up." I would start a new game only after a day of the previous. So with the help of PSNProfiles, it helps me see my progression and now I stick with a few until completed.

I don't do games just for trophies though (no Mayo for me, to each their own). 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KingGuy420 said:

I'm actually not really a trophy hunter. I've just always enjoyed being a completionist in games that I love, even back as far as NES. Trophy hunting is just a by-product of being a completionist for me. 

That's how it started for me :)

• Like 2

I trophy hunt for a couple of reasons. Mainly the small sense of accomplishment I get from hearing those sweet dings. It also keeps me playing games longer and explore different parts/modes of a game I wouldn’t normally have the incentive to explore. 

• Like 3

I'm just a bit obsessive about seeing those "100%" icons, really. I don't think anything else matters more than that, to me.

I've spent a lot of "pointless" time on The Division 1 doing all those commendations, just for this reason.

• Like 3

Can I add to your list TC, reasons I like them are;

- Give my journey through the game a structure.

- Provides me with a permanent record of my gaming. Trophies are basically my filing cabinet for gaming ;)

And the only reason of your I agree with is;

-   Gives me the opportunity to play games that normally I don’t play. (thats because if I dont think i will enjoy a game at face value, trophies may just provide an edge for me so that i will enjoy it).

Not to say your reasons are wrong, they are just yours, the reasons above are mine ;)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Tianna_Mortis said:

Initially, it started out as a distraction from my life. When I got my first system that allowed for trophies/achievements, the xBox 360, and Skyrim, I had no idea what they were. At the time, I was in an abusive relationship, working about 50 hours a week, insanely depressed and stressed out, and really didn't have anyone to turn to. I spent most of the time when I was at home holed up in my bedroom since my now ex dominated the living room since he computer was hooked to the tv and that's all he ever did. Eventually, I got curious about what the achievement alert was, looked it up and decided I was going to Platinum Skyrim to give me something to works towards that would take my mind off things.

Since getting out of that relationship, my competitive nature has come back, as well as my habit of collecting games, and collecting trophies has played right into both. It's really interesting to me to see the rarity of different trophies and how people rank against each other in getting them.

Plus, by looking at trophy lists, it gives me insight into aspects of games I might not otherwise explore, interesting side quests I might otherwise have missed or even different ways of playing a game that increases the challenge level.

And, honestly, there is just something supremely satisfying seeing a 100% next to a game you've spent a lot of time on.

Thanks for sharing, Tianna. You know, it's personal for everyone and that is definitely what makes it so unique and fascinating, right? We all have our personal reasons and motivations for doing certain things, and in this case, gaming and the passions that come along with it. Gaming culture and the sense of community make it fun for sure!

• Like 3

I Started 2009, not knowing what trophies are. Spend a lot of Time at FFX on PS2. Then i Switched to PS3 and got My First trophy. I ignored it first. So i played 200 hours on Sacred 2. It gets boring and i Look at The trophies. New challenged it makes more fun. I got a target. And im going on. Its the suprise at The End of an hopefully good Game. Even the Bad Games gets interesting. Hear the sound and Reach a higher Level and Rank up in leaderboards. So yes, its FUN!

Edited by Diddi89
  • Like 1

I’m not a trophy hunter per se, I’m just someone who can’t be presented with a percentage statistic and not want to make the number go up.

Personally, I believe that if a person can look at a progress bar - measuring any aspect of their life - and not feel compelled to strive to do better, they are - at least partially - broken inside.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, JayDeLosDioses said:

I´m handicaped since my birth, so even though I "played" football (or soccer) in a club, I never really played. My parents paid so I can sit on a bench. So I left and started gaming with the old brick ps2 from my uncle. And it was amazing.

I was 7 or 8 then, sitting on the couch, playing Toy Story, shooting things with the green laser was amazing, I loved it.

Over the years I picked up more and more games, earned a few trophies here and there, and like today, it is and was one of the best feelings for me. Not because I´m such a great gamer, I can´t be, my body won´t let me. It´s basicly like input lag from my brain to my muscles for me. I'm not a completionist by any means, I lose interest way to much in many games for that, altough I want to change that in the future.

The reason why I collect trophies and why it is so satisfying for me:

Every trophy I ever earned, I earned it myself. Sometimes with joy, feeling entertainent all the way trough (God of War and Horizon), sometimes while hating the game (Mafia 3, F1 2017) and sometimes just to beat a friend (Far Cry 3).

Doing all this with my own hands is really a big thing for a guy who grew up with help everywhere. Had help in everything my friends could always do, tie my shoes, even dressing for way longer than normal.

Yes I did games like Mayo, and I´m not ashamed or anything.

I´m doing easy games where I don´t need to see what happens while watching other stuff, like F1 or something. Easier to not focus and press X than playing Witcher 3 on Death March.

You sir, are an inspiration :) Thank You for sharing. (My brother too was born with a multitude of disabilities and probably would have struggled to even hold a controller). Thank You again for sharing.

• Like 2

For me it began in Shift 2 which i played over and over again the campaign and when i looked at the trophy list i realised i got pretty much everything except the online trophies. So i made a move into new territory. And played so long until i got all trophies. Shortly later i replayed some games inlcuding Uncharted 1-3 on my PS3. So more time spent in games i enjoyed before...

On PS2 i played for a high completion too like getting all hidden packages in GTA Vice City or all Aeons in FFX but i often missed something and never found everything. Now since the PS3 i have a stronger urge to really get those things i see that i left unfinished on the PS2...

And as @Optinooby said the record of my gaming history comes in handy as well :) 

• Like 1

Games I enjoy playing is what got me to try trophy hunting long ago. It was to see if I could achieve the possible plats. If I didn’t decide to trophy hunt, I think I would have just played my games and only beat them. 

• Like 2

I started trophy hunting because I cannot buy many games + I mostly play JRPGs and usually theses types of game is time consuming but I still enjoy playing them.

If I felt that I get bored and tired, I usually switch to visual novels for an easy platinum, relaxation and a good story 

• Like 1