What is your favorite fighting game?

Copanele

Even though nothing will beat GG X2 or USF4 for me, I feel the need to add the Injustice series as some of my favourite fighting games.

Playing them obsesivelly the past 2 weeks, I kinda fell in love with the combat and the mechanics. Even though they are similar to mk9/mk10 there are still elements completely different to them.

I feel like Netherrealm really nailed it with these games ( yes they are old , I tried them way too late , different priorities back in 2017).

And then there's the story and comic book references. I am not a DC knowledger . I mainly saw the Justice League series, watched some Batman and Batman Beyond ,Teen Titans of course, also up to date with Young Justice and the new DC animated universe, new 52 , rebirth etc.

Thus being said... I friggin love the references and the lore in the games. They are so well done , the story is really solid ( ok maybe not in Injustice 2 but well MK 10 suffered the same fate so they get a pass) and it pretty much hooked me up instantly. Also I love the multiverse idea. They aren't just "towers" ,  they each have a short story that is a hint to some released comic book. Even the rant at the beginning of the matches between the characters is really well done.

Not to mention that the Injustice comics (Year 1-5 ) are very well written. Finally I find out why Batman always goes "No matter what, we must not kill " . Writers Tom Taylor and Brian Buccellato really did a great job.

One last note, the DLC characters are really killer . Apart from classics Scorpion (injustice1) and Subzero / Raiden (Injustice 2) they really went full fanservice , especially in Injustice 2 with TNMT ,Hellboy and my favorite Darkseid.

Sorry if this sounds more like a review/fan rant, but I wasn't expected to enjoy these particular fighting games so much. What started like a "backlog cleanup " turned into pure fun , made me even forget what was my purpose in the game and just enjoyed some online nonsense (King of The Hill is a favorite ). Even in Injustice 1 the online section would be fun as hell if it wasn't so dead. 

NOTE: I didn't catch the Injustice 2 microtransactions debacle that was back then so you will excuse me if I don't know much about that subject. All I know is that I am covered in motherboxes each time I do a match xD so I am pleased. 

giphy.gif

Edited by Copanele
  • Like 1

Probably Tekken 6. I enjoyed some of 7, but I don't like the direction it's taking with more projectiles and more hard/weird inputs. If that's the future of Tekken, 6 will probably be the best it ever gets for me.

Honorable mention: PS All-Stars.

• Like 1

I liked Def Jam: Vendetta. But my favourite was Fight for NY, the only minus point was that DMX wasn't in it like in the first one. Sadly enough I never got to play Icon, though.

2 hours ago, Copanele said:

especially in Injustice 2 with TNMT

You should watch the Batman VS Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles animated movie, it's pretty fun.

Mortal Kombat II, more specifically the SNES port. Minor visual downgrade aside, the Fatality sequences have never felt or sounded better in any MK game. Sequence transitions are more measured and atmospheric, and the SNES sound chip being god tier as it is, the music sounds awesome. Add that to a slightly less broken--AKA actually beatable AI--and you have the greatest arcade port of all time, gentlemen.

Whew, that's a tough question because every fighting game is cool in its own way, but if I had to choose, I'd say Tekken, Soulcalibur and The King of Fighters. Tekken 5 was my first "real" fighting game and got me interested in the genre (Also, Leo is awesome! Wish they kept Veronica Taylor as her voice actress or at least chose a German voice actress who sounds similar to her. Petra Konradi would've been a great choice; she voices Eileen in the German dub of Bloodborne.). What I liked about Soulcalibur, especially the second game, were the single player modes and unlockables. Well, and The King of Fighters...  no idea xD Also, for some reason I found KOF easier and more fun to play than Street Fighter. 

Bloody Roar was good. Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution was great. Soul Caliber II was awesome on the PS2. Shortly after, Soul Caliber III was released and that was the only time I paid full price on a fighting game. I know this because I played it recently and the receipt was still in the box. ?

For the past couple of years I've been a fan of BlazBlue on Steam. I have them all. I've always liked the Guilty Gear series but haven't touched the new stuff.

The DLC/Upgrade/VC stuff on newer fighting games is ridiculous. I can't get into it.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Bushido Blade and Bushido Blade 2. One good swing of your weapon and the enemy dies. So much tension with every second, trying to look for the blind spot of your enemy only to get it just right and slash the life of your rival away.

Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars comes in second and is a pretty underrated gem of a fighting game even if most of the time it's hard to tell what is going on and I only know like a third of the cast.

• Like 1