What VR Games / Experiences Should a new VR Player Try?

PhantomFear94

VR Games For New VR Player Poll (Commentary Below Poll)  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Out of those listed, which should I buy?

• Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown
    • Déraciné
    • Eve: Valkyrie Warzone
    • Farpoint
    • Ghost Giant
    • Statik
    • Until Dawn: Rush of Blood
    • Other (please comment with it)

In reference to the above thread I made a while ago,  I am now buying a PSVR set in (probably) July.

Instead of digging up an old thread, I thought I'd just start a new one with a poll in what people think I should get on it.

Votes on those listed, advice, or recommendations for stuff not in the poll would be appreciated!

Also open minded to trying any cool "VR experiences".

I am still a trophy completion whore (currently have 100% profile completion). However, to get the most out of VR I'm going to make a second account, dedicated to VR, so I can have some fun without the stress of trophies. If any easy ones come along, I can always do them on my main profile. 

Pretty open to any genre, but I'm terrible at rhythm games so that is why I've not included Beat Saber. 

Games I'm planning on buying:

DOOM VFR

Resident Evil 7 (fiancee owns a copy already)

Batman Arkham VR

Superhot VR

The Inpatient

Astro Bot Rescue Mission

Gran Turismo Sport 

Edited by phantomfear9494

I highly recommend everything you've got listed so far. As well as that- assuming your VR came with Playstation Worlds- play The London Heist. And if you like that, 100% get the new VR game about to come out- Blood and Truth. Otherwise, if you're a rick and morty fan, you could try Rick and Morty Virtual Rickality. There's also I Expect You to Die, an escape room type game, and it was very good.

If you also have/are interested in No Man's Sky, I believe that one's getting a VR update that looks very good as well.

Edited by igs63

1 hour ago, phantomfear9494 said:

Games I'm planning on buying:

DOOM VFR

Resident Evil 7 (fiancee owns a copy already)

Batman Arkham VR

Superhot VR

The Inpatient

Astro Bot Rescue Mission

Gran Turismo Sport 

If you are buying GT Sport for VR only. Take a pass. Trust me, the VR portion is tiny part of the full game and isn't worth it for VR alone. If you don't like GT, you don't need it in your collection.

Resident Evil 7 is still the best VR experience I've had with Superhot close behind. These 2 are musts imo. Astro Bot is a top 5 VR game as well. I hope we see a sequel on that one.

As to other games I would recommend, if you like Ghost Giant, then Moss would be a good pick up. I also would recommend Creed: Rise to Glory, Raw Data, and Rigs: MCL if you want some fast pace action. If you are wanting something a little more calming, I'd say try Eagle's Flight. You just need to sway your head and can be pretty relaxing. Job Simulator is very good and relaxing as well. It's short, but so much fun!

Now, if you want something that you can play with the Fiancee, get Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes. It was the first VR game I played and still one of my favorites! I should also note that the Playroom VR is free and is also fun to play with someone else. 

Anyways, have fun with the VR! It's a great experience to get away from the norm. Motion sickness happens to some people. If that happens to you, play games with little movement at first and build up to crazier, more action-packed games.

You should get every game you listed. They are all awesome! I just recently bought a VR as well and I can't get enough of it. Most of the games you listed you can get at gamestop for under $15. I would actually add Beat Saber and Moss to your list also. I was hesitant with Moss cause it looked like a kids game. But it's actually really fun. And it has a decently difficult platinum trophy. Super Hot is another game you should try. It's kinda like being inside the Matrix with it's bullet time. Overall I have had more amazing experiences with VR games than bad and I can't wait to try more! 

Edited by SuchRemorse
Typeo

Thanks all for the responses so far, it is very much appreciated.

1 hour ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

If you are buying GT Sport for VR only. Take a pass. Trust me, the VR portion is tiny part of the full game and isn't worth it for VR alone. If you don't like GT, you don't need it in your collection.

Resident Evil 7 is still the best VR experience I've had with Superhot close behind. These 2 are musts imo. Astro Bot is a top 5 VR game as well. I hope we see a sequel on that one.

As to other games I would recommend, if you like Ghost Giant, then Moss would be a good pick up. I also would recommend Creed: Rise to Glory, Raw Data, and Rigs: MCL if you want some fast pace action. If you are wanting something a little more calming, I'd say try Eagle's Flight. You just need to sway your head and can be pretty relaxing. Job Simulator is very good and relaxing as well. It's short, but so much fun!

Now, if you want something that you can play with the Fiancee, get Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes. It was the first VR game I played and still one of my favorites! I should also note that the Playroom VR is free and is also fun to play with someone else. 

Anyways, have fun with the VR! It's a great experience to get away from the norm. Motion sickness happens to some people. If that happens to you, play games with little movement at first and build up to crazier, more action-packed games.

Cherry picking some things from this very helpful reply.

Interesting re: GT Sport. It is my only VR experience to date. My friend has VR, and he let me try it out for 30 minutes, and I really enjoyed it. I had absolutely 0 motion sickness after 40 minutes of consecutive play, which is good because I heard that Drive Club VR is practically unplayable (to the extent that Eurogamer couldn't review it) so I feel comfortable I'll be able to play VR. However, whilst I enjoyed it I didn't look at its content offering whatsoever. I actively enjoy racing games (namely Forza/PGR), and it's not too expensive anymore so I would consider it, although I heard that whilst its good it was disappointing to some people. I'll think about this one.

Resident Evil 7 is my game of the generation so far (God of War, DOOM, NieR: Automata and Metro: Exodus round that list off). I have maxed it out on Xbox achievement wise, so would probably just play through on VR for fun as I've gone through the game literally around 10 times at this point and can play it with my eyes closed. I CBA to platinum it again. 

I've heard incredibly mixed things about Moss. Enough people are recommending it that I'll probably try it. Heard from a few that the reviews overrated it massively. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, phantomfear9494 said:

I've heard incredibly mixed things about Moss. Enough people are recommending it that I'll probably try it. Heard from a few that the reviews overrated it massively. 

I haven't actually played it, but I heard it was great from everyone on this site. It's on my radar. I'm also looking out for a sale on Tetris Effect and Beat Saber. I've been wanting to pick those up too.

GT Sport was the ONLY game that ever gave me any sort of motion sickness. Haha. If you can take that, then you should be good to go for almost any game. If you are wanting another racing game, Wipeout Omega is supposedly the best racing game available. Can't confirm that though as I've never played it.

I absolutely loved Ghost Giant. I highly recommend that. I feel like I'm the only individual that likes this game, but I extremely enjoyed Eagle Flight as well. The game is nice when played by yourself, since the majority of it is single player, but there is a multiplayer aspect to it although the servers are dead majority of the time. Another one I would recommend is Moss. It's not much of a VR experience like Eagle Flight, but it puts you in the game to help out your little furry creature like Ghost Giant. Lastly I would highly recommend Job Simulator. If you plan on getting any of these physically, Ghost Giant is the easiest to find since it just came out. Eagle Flight is a hit or miss because it released so long ago. Moss may be a bit tricky to find. Job Simulator, there was a limited release on it so it would either be almost impossible to find or expensive .

Oh also, Accounting+ (digital) is hilarious if you're a fan of the type of humor in Rick & Morty. Also The American Dream (digital). The American Dream is HILARIOUS and I believe is still on sale right now? It basically stereotypes how american's live with their guns as soon as they're born and how they're used in every day lives.

I like all of these games because they're not so "realistic".. It seems as though it's easier for the developer to focus on the "depth" feel of the game, more than the realistic feeling imo. With the depth feel, it makes you actually feel like you're there. Example: I played PSVR Worlds day 1 and it was alright.. as soon as I switched to Job Simulator I started flipping the hell out because I actually felt like I was there.

(Also Astro bot is an AMAZING experience so I'm happy that's one of the games on your "buy" list)

Although there are two games I will say I will never recommend to anybody. RIGS and Loading Human. I have a high tolerance to motion sickness(I've played VR games for like 15+ straight and I'm literally fine lol), but both of these games were just so poorly made that I had violently gotten sick from both of them. RIGS because of the aim controls at the beginning (they want to you aim and look around using your actual head turning motion), not sure if there was ever an update for the beginning controls, but I had never went back to it since I didn't want to suffer through that again... and Loading Human just had such a poor moving transition.

Edited by DuckSwimmer

I had fun with Statik. Expected a 2h game but spent over 5h on it in one sitting (couldn't let it go unfinished). Puzzles are very well designed.

Moss might be the cutest game ever made?

Thread sums up most must-play VR games.

Remember there are demos to try for many of the games before you decide.

• 3 weeks later...

If you like horror games, I also recommend Don't Knock Twice. It's a rather short game, but the atmosphere is great (even if it's cliche) and the graphics are nice as well. Here They Lie is interesting too, but it's a very surreal and dark game. Some levels reminded me a bit of Artaud's theater of cruelty.