How would you define a "Casual" gamer?

Beyondthegrave07

Uhh

I'd say someone who plays a few of the "big" "popular" "mainstream" titles like Fortnite, Call of Duty or Battlefield. Outside of that they devotes very minimal time to other titles or the video game medium in general.

Mostly just log in to play with their friends then get off without much thought of anything else.

Some who rarely plays games, like only once or twice a week would be the main one. Other things I would consider casual would be their choice of games being mostly mobile app games, Nintendo's party games and any other game that doesn't have any challenge and mostly involve playing with friends like mario kart or smash bros. One of my friends is a super casual gamer, he's had a PS4 from the day of release and when I asked him how many platinum trophies he has, his response was "What's a platinum trophy?"...  

Trophies don't matter, as all my gamer friends IRL don't care about trophies. In fact, one of my friends spends hours gaming everyday on both PS4 and PC, works as a game developer and has hundereds of games but doesn't trophy hunt or care about trophies. 

Casual means you are average. You’re nobody special, you’re just some guy who buys a few AAA games a year. Generally something like Red Dead Redemption, Call of Duty, a new Madden NFL game or Days Gone. You finish the story, then you move on to playing multiplayer with your friends. 

I don’t consider something like Super Meat Boy casual, unless you are one of countless thousands of people who played for 30 - 60 minutes then gave up because it was too hard. Casuals also avoid niche games and typically go after games heavily focused on a certain theme, like Call of Duty. Indie games aren’t a big part in most casual gamers lists. 

Casuals are those who preorder and buy 3 - 5 AAA games a year. They are not completionists, they play until the story ends and then they move on to other things. 

• Like 1

On 5/16/2019 at 3:43 PM, DrBloodmoney said:

Casual Gamer.

-Noun.

“a pejorative, meaningless buzzword, used by gamers to describe other gamers when they want to belittle them or their tastes”

Examples:

1. ”I like Battlefield, CoD is for casuals”

2. “I like CoD, Battlefield is for casuals”

3. “Derpy derpy derpy derp, Casual derp.”

Synonyms:

Noob, Filthy Casual, Console Peasant, etc.

We have the same dictionary. 

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Casual gamers historically used to play simple games or popular games only to socialize. Today I also consider people who only play Call of Duty s, Fifa, and Fortnite games even at a high level, but since they only play those games, they are casuals.

Interesting thread:)

Without complicating it too much, casual is someone who just plays for fun, pure and simple, without the commitment to delve into the narrative or game mechanics; also, someone who only plays online for a short time as a relaxing activity.

Now, once you can appreciate games as an art form or anything, and then go deeper into the experience, and seek to know more, and read more, and follow more... well... I don't believe it is casual. People who have an account on this site cannot be called that. Even people who play this crap nowadays and have 1000+ plats can't be casual lol even if the games are easy. Hunting for trophies alone, or seeking 100%ing in-game content, per se, cannot be casual; since you're essentially squeezing every drop of content that work has to offer.

Trophy hunters, generally speaking, cannot be casual. But, of course, this is a subjective concept and I understand it that way.

Kids who only play Fortnite, and spend their parents' fortune on cosmetics and dances? casual? you're investing heavily in a video game, how can you be casual? haha those terms don't even make any sense tbh.

Attributes of casual:

- has tons of games never 100%ed

-just plays mainstream games (Fortnite,FIFA)

-never having deeper knowledge about the game

-jumping on every hypre-train, buying D1 just to be "one of the first"

Edited by HamiTosh

For me a casual gamer are those people who enjoys the game until a new experience or game arrives. The happiest one in my opinon.... they don't care about drama, trophies or almost anything they just enjoy whatever they want to play.

Comparing with some people over here they are sometimes more "gamers" than the those whom only buy games for trophies and don't even enjoy them... I don't know that type of gamer I am but for sure sometimes I prefer to be more on the side of casual than a hardcore.

I guess I'd say, people who only really play games as a way to kill time while doing other things.  Like mobile games while waiting for an appt, at a friends house while waiting for other friends to get there, etc.  If you go home after and play games on your own time, regardless of what game it is, you're as much of a "non-casual" gamer as anyone IMO.  For whatever that's worth.

Edited by Dreakon13

The problem here is people keep thinking "casual" is derogatory. When it's just a label you're put under because of how you act on the subject. 

A casual of any fandom is someone who partakes in said fandom, but isn't the least bit passionate about what they're partaking in. At the end of the day it's not something that really matters to them. 

• Like 1

I would say a casual gamer is someone who plays under 10 hours a week. 

My cousin plays with me, but she only plays with others, f.ex CS:GO with me, LOL and RUST with her boyfriend, and so on. 

She plays a little xbox sometimes, when she has an urge to play Fable again, and a little playstation for Horizon. But she has NO interest in trophies or anything like that. 

She only plays to pass time and have fun. Casual gamer :)