Beyondthegrave07

How would you define a "Casual" gamer?

33 posts in this topic

Casual Gamer: someone who plays inconsistently, doesn't care about statistics

Hardcore Gamer: someone who plays almost every day and studies game stats, like damage output in shooters and small trick-spots on maps

One can play all kinds of masterpiece level games and be casual, the other can play only one shooter like CoD or Battlefield, but still be super hardcore

Both are equal in the industry 

I used to be a platinum hunter for a while. Now I don't even get to play anything as my work and two kids take all my time. Damn I miss lazy sundays gaming and listening to music just by myself.

To me it's someone who plays the same game, same series and nothing else. Someone who is afraid to try out other games, other experiences. 

Uhh

I'd say someone who plays a few of the "big" "popular" "mainstream" titles like Fortnite, Call of Duty or Battlefield. Outside of that they devotes very minimal time to other titles or the video game medium in general.

Mostly just log in to play with their friends then get off without much thought of anything else.

Some who rarely plays games, like only once or twice a week would be the main one. Other things I would consider casual would be their choice of games being mostly mobile app games, Nintendo's party games and any other game that doesn't have any challenge and mostly involve playing with friends like mario kart or smash bros. One of my friends is a super casual gamer, he's had a PS4 from the day of release and when I asked him how many platinum trophies he has, his response was "What's a platinum trophy?"...  

Trophies don't matter, as all my gamer friends IRL don't care about trophies. In fact, one of my friends spends hours gaming everyday on both PS4 and PC, works as a game developer and has hundereds of games but doesn't trophy hunt or care about trophies. 

Casual means you are average. You’re nobody special, you’re just some guy who buys a few AAA games a year. Generally something like Red Dead Redemption, Call of Duty, a new Madden NFL game or Days Gone. You finish the story, then you move on to playing multiplayer with your friends. 

I don’t consider something like Super Meat Boy casual, unless you are one of countless thousands of people who played for 30 - 60 minutes then gave up because it was too hard. Casuals also avoid niche games and typically go after games heavily focused on a certain theme, like Call of Duty. Indie games aren’t a big part in most casual gamers lists. 

Casuals are those who preorder and buy 3 - 5 AAA games a year. They are not completionists, they play until the story ends and then they move on to other things. 

On 5/16/2019 at 3:43 PM, DrBloodmoney said:

Casual Gamer.

-Noun.

“a pejorative, meaningless buzzword, used by gamers to describe other gamers when they want to belittle them or their tastes”

Examples:

1. ”I like Battlefield, CoD is for casuals”

2. “I like CoD, Battlefield is for casuals”

3. “Derpy derpy derpy derp, Casual derp.”

Synonyms:

Noob, Filthy Casual, Console Peasant, etc.

We have the same dictionary. 

Someone who only plays video games on easy difficulty setting but that is an ‘each to their own’ type thing.