PS4 Pro hard drive

RafaelBCastro

Yes the PS4/Pro both accept any 2.5" SATA drive. You can even use an SSD if you want to shell out the money for it. I only have an OG PS4...but I put a 2TB drive in it back in 2015 and never looked back. 

It also can't be more than 9.5mm in thickness. The 3+ terabyte ones out there are 13mm in thickness 

The Seagate Firecuda 2TB SSHD is popular, and I've been using one for a few years now with no problems at all

• Like 4

I'd recommend a Solid State Disk. It very easy and fast to set up.

They are a bit more expensive but:

- they are quieter as they have no moving parts (PS4 pro fan will drown out any noise anyway so this point is moot).

- more reliable and durable than a spinning hard disk and should last longer.

- booting up and loading time are much faster. About 10-20% faster in my experience. This might only be a couple of second per loading screen, but if you game a lot, like I do, those seconds add up to a lot of time saved. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, gavsta72 said:

It also can't be more than 9.5mm in thickness. The 3+ terabyte ones out there are 13mm in thickness 

The Seagate Firecuda 2TB SSHD is popular, and I've been using one for a few years now with no problems at all

This. Not every 2.5" will fit in your PS4 HD slot.

SSD's are just not worth it for the PS4 or Pro due to the hardware limitations. They simply cannot read an SSD fast enough anyway.

Saving a few seconds off load times really isn't worth all the extra $$$$

SSHD's are the best, performance and capacity wise

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, gavsta72 said:

SSD's are just not worth it for the PS4 or Pro due to the hardware limitations. They simply cannot read an SSD fast enough anyway.

Saving a few seconds off load times really isn't worth all the extra $$$$

SSHD's are the best, performance and capacity wise

Its more than just a few seconds... SSD loads some games 60% faster. They offer a good advantage on MP games too. If you have the money then SSD is well worth it.

• 1 month later...
On 5/23/2019 at 2:45 AM, GUDGER666 said:

Its more than just a few seconds... SSD loads some games 60% faster. They offer a good advantage on MP games too. If you have the money then SSD is well worth it.

It's well documented that even the PS4 Pro has strong limitations in the SATA disk interface. The PS4 is even worse since it uses older standards. None will take real advantage of a SSD, even with a SSHD benefits are minimal, and you'll only really see them in the last case if you keep on playing just one, or several small games over a large period of time, so that the disk algorithm will cache the necessary files.

Choosing the bigger and cheapest option is probably the best one as the cost benefit here seems minimal. You can get a 2TB 5400 RPM disk for cheap (specially if you buy one in a housing and disassemble it - BE CAREFUL NOT ALL EXTERNAL USB 2.5" HD's ARE SATA!!!!!).

• Like 1

13 hours ago, cris3f said:

It's well documented that even the PS4 Pro has strong limitations in the SATA disk interface. The PS4 is even worse since it uses older standards. None will take real advantage of a SSD, even with a SSHD benefits are minimal, and you'll only really see them in the last case if you keep on playing just one, or several small games over a large period of time, so that the disk algorithm will cache the necessary files.

Choosing the bigger and cheapest option is probably the best one as the cost benefit here seems minimal. You can get a 2TB 5400 RPM disk for cheap (specially if you buy one in a housing and disassemble it - BE CAREFUL NOT ALL EXTERNAL USB 2.5" HD's ARE SATA!!!!!).

Guess we will have to agree to disagree. SSD is great on PS4 for faster loading, even better online when you are in the fight first while others are still loading in, even on PS3 you can get much faster times. Some games actually run better on SSD, take RAGE on PS3, the textures are slow at loading on a standard hdd, on ssd they are instant, and the framerate is more stable and this is the case for multiple games.