RafaelBCastro

PS4 Pro hard drive

11 posts in this topic

Can I change the PS4 Pro Hard Drive for an ordinary 2.5" hard drive or it has to be a specific PS4 Hard Drive?

Any old hard drive will do, just make sure it fits the same dimensions of the one you took out :).

I took the Seagate Expansion Portable 2 TB and "unboxed" it.

But nowadays it´s easy to just hang it on as extern hard drive, e.g. the 4TB version

Yes the PS4/Pro both accept any 2.5" SATA drive. You can even use an SSD if you want to shell out the money for it. I only have an OG PS4...but I put a 2TB drive in it back in 2015 and never looked back. 

want good load times buy a 2Tb firecuda seriously have 2 in 5 of my ps4s but yeah you can do external HDDs up to 8tb just make sure its hubless (seagate backup +hub) they do not work unless they do now

It also can't be more than 9.5mm in thickness. The 3+ terabyte ones out there are 13mm in thickness 

The Seagate Firecuda 2TB SSHD is popular, and I've been using one for a few years now with no problems at all

I'd recommend a Solid State Disk. It very easy and fast to set up.

They are a bit more expensive but:

- they are quieter as they have no moving parts (PS4 pro fan will drown out any noise anyway so this point is moot).

- more reliable and durable than a spinning hard disk and should last longer.

- booting up and loading time are much faster. About 10-20% faster in my experience. This might only be a couple of second per loading screen, but if you game a lot, like I do, those seconds add up to a lot of time saved. 

25 minutes ago, gavsta72 said:

It also can't be more than 9.5mm in thickness. The 3+ terabyte ones out there are 13mm in thickness 

The Seagate Firecuda 2TB SSHD is popular, and I've been using one for a few years now with no problems at all

This. Not every 2.5" will fit in your PS4 HD slot.

I mean @mjan8935 is right SSDs are far far Superior just $$$ wise 

-Samsung Evo 860 1TB $200 Cad 2TB $400 Cad 4TB $930 CAD

-WD Blue SSD 1TB $150 2TB $290

The Real question is how much umph do you want from you system and how much you willing to spend? 

SSD's are just not worth it for the PS4 or Pro due to the hardware limitations. They simply cannot read an SSD fast enough anyway.

Saving a few seconds off load times really isn't worth all the extra $$$$

SSHD's are the best, performance and capacity wise

37 minutes ago, gavsta72 said:

SSD's are just not worth it for the PS4 or Pro due to the hardware limitations. They simply cannot read an SSD fast enough anyway.

Saving a few seconds off load times really isn't worth all the extra $$$$

SSHD's are the best, performance and capacity wise

Its more than just a few seconds... SSD loads some games 60% faster. They offer a good advantage on MP games too. If you have the money then SSD is well worth it.