Sony and Microsoft announced partnership for cloud gaming and A.I. development

Wavergray

https://nichegamer.com/2019/05/16/microsoft-and-sony-announce-strategic-partnership-for-cloud-gaming-and-ai/

In a very unexpected turn of events, tech giant rivals Microsoft and Sony have announced a partnership.

The corporations have entered a strategic partnership for cloud-based gaming services, including both cloud-based gaming solutions and artificial intelligence.

“The two companies will explore joint development of future cloud solutions in Microsoft Azure to support their respective game and content-streaming services,” the Microsoft statement reads.

Coming from this, all of Sony’s existing game and content-streaming services will be powered by Microsoft Azure cloud infrastructure, in the future.

Microsoft notes “these efforts will also include building better development platforms for the content creator community,” which almost sounds like both companies are looking to partner up on future services focused at content creators and gamers in general. Both tech giants will “share additional information when available.”

This partnership means both Sony and Microsoft will collaborate on cloud gaming, meaning neither Amazon or Google will be able to court Sony now.

Lastly, the companies are looking to collaborate on both semiconductors and artificial intelligence (AI), which includes intelligent image sensor solutions that use Azure AI, and Sony utilizing Microsoft’s AI platform in their consumer products.

“Sony has always been a leader in both entertainment and technology, and the collaboration we announced today builds on this history of innovation,” Satya Nadella, Microsoft CEO said. “Our partnership brings the power of Azure and Azure AI to Sony to deliver new gaming and entertainment experiences for customers.”

Honestly not sure how I feel about this. How will this affect PlayStation now?

Also if they are entering a partnership like this, does it mean we're getting closer to Sony allowing cross-play on all games?

Edited by soultaker655
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, soultaker655 said:

https://nichegamer.com/2019/05/16/microsoft-and-sony-announce-strategic-partnership-for-cloud-gaming-and-ai/

Honestly not sure how I feel about this. How will this affect PlayStation now?

Also if they are entering a partnership like this, does it mean we're getting closer to Sony allowing cross-play on all games?

PS Now is a great concept (like Xbox Game pass), but it's not really what it should be.
Game pass is a lot better, in terms of the amount of games and play-ability. 

Think it's a good thing they are teaming up, will only improve their services and games :D

• Like 4

I see this as less about detente, and more a case of a pact against a common enemy.

To be honest, I think it shows that both major gaming companies recognise the threat from Google.

Google has the money and the infrastructure to decimate the industry with their Stadia stuff in a matter of a few years, which both Sony and Microsoft know, but they also know the Google are fickle.

They tend to abandon initiatives that do not succeed right away - Google have abandoned more expensive initiatives than most companies have begun.

My guess is that both Sony and Microsoft know that a limited partnership for a few years to keep Google from killing them both should be enough to make Google give up their gaming ambitions and move on - leaving them both to carry on fighting down the road.

• Like 2

Microsoft said awhile back that they want to get out of the console game and focus on the game pass as a service. Maybe this is their first step... Actually second step since they seem to be setting things up with Nintendo too.

Only time will tell I guess.

• Like 2

I'm not so sure of this either. Cloud gaming has latency & picture quality issues. Good luck to Sony & Microsoft with fixing that.

2 hours ago, KingGuy420 said:

Microsoft said awhile back that they want to get out of the console game and focus on the game pass as a service. Maybe this is their first step... Actually second step since they seem to be setting things up with Nintendo too.

Only time will tell I guess.

That's a real shock to even think of Microsoft quitting Xbox, especially with them supposedly working on Scarlett. Microsoft partnering with Nintendo? Switch's portability is good for them, I'm sure.

This feels like good news to me. I do feel in part it's an effort to discourage fickle Google from investing too much in Stadia, but Microsoft has been doing well with their streaming efforts so hopefully Sony will benefit from this which benefits us. 

Regardless, I am rooting for Microsoft to do well with consoles and gaming. Healthy competition, and/or healthy collaboration, is good for us gamers. 

7 hours ago, knoef_NL said:

PS Now is a great concept (like Xbox Game pass), but it's not really what it should be.
Game pass is a lot better, in terms of the amount of games and play-ability. 

Think it's a good thing they are teaming up, will only improve their services and games :D

I don't know anything about Xbox Game Pass, so what makes it better than PS Now? How is 200 games better than like 700?

19 hours ago, Milktastrophe said:

I don't know anything about Xbox Game Pass, so what makes it better than PS Now? How is 200 games better than like 700?

PS Now is cloud gaming/streaming. Xbox Game Pass is not. Instead, XGP has you download a game from its catalog & play it from your own system.

On 5/16/2019 at 3:37 PM, DrBloodmoney said:

I see this as less about detente, and more a case of a pact against a common enemy.

To be honest, I think it shows that both major gaming companies recognise the threat from Google.

Google has the money and the infrastructure to decimate the industry with their Stadia stuff in a matter of a few years, which both Sony and Microsoft know, but they also know the Google are fickle.

They tend to abandon initiatives that do not succeed right away - Google have abandoned more expensive initiatives than most companies have begun.

My guess is that both Sony and Microsoft know that a limited partnership for a few years to keep Google from killing them both should be enough to make Google give up their gaming ambitions and move on - leaving them both to carry on fighting down the road.

Exactly this. If this partnership was already in the works, Google's announcement certainly accelerated things.

Edited by ZitMeatloaf
Typo

1 hour ago, gameoverDude189 said:

PS Now is cloud gaming/streaming. Xbox Game Pass is not. Instead, XGP has you download a game from its catalog & play it from your own system.

Don't forget that PS Now also lets you download all 319 PS4 games in its catalog & play it from your own system as well. On top of streaming PS3 games.

Edited by soultaker655
  • Like 1

On 5/17/2019 at 4:56 AM, Milktastrophe said:

Xbox has some "better"  games on that list imo. 
I believe you can download them on the Xbox, where you will have to stream (most) of the ps now games.

It's the end time the end time has come! In all seriousness this is something I am gonna keep a eye on be interesting to see what happens.