Do You Feel RPG's Will Make A Return?

BigPete7978

Am I the only one that feels as if RPG's like the older Final Fantasy titles, Vagrant Story, Chrono Cross, Shadow Hearts, etc. were missing the presence that they had previously on the PlayStation 1 and PlayStation 2? Yes there were great titles released throughout the life of the PlayStation 3, but overall I feel as though the genre itself was lacking. But then again the PS2 had quite possibly the greatest library ever. So it honestly can be argued both ways. 

And if you disagree that there wasn't anything missing with RPG titles this generation feel free to post why you feel that way.

I was quite happy with the RPG's that came out this gen. While it might seem lacking, I think it's only because of the great library of RPG's and games in general on the PS2 as you mentioned.

That said, I think the PS4 will do even better on the RPG front.

I disagree.

Fallout 3

Skyrim

Dragon Age

Demon souls

Dark Souls

Kingdom of Amalur Reckoning

And while I may not like them, a lot of others do.

Hyperdimension Neptunia

The Atelier series

I enjoyed most of those games and agree. 

Edited by Hikari_Symphony
  • Like 2

Traditional mechanics of games you mentioned have changed and evolved. There are a lot of jrpgs this generation. Not sure what youre trying to get at. If you mean turn based then some are still being made while FF games tried to adapt and expand and do things differently.

At the end of the day rpgs never went anywhere, you just might not be looking in the right places

• Like 1

Ok maybe I shouldn't say RPG's. And say JRPG's as the genre. 

I still stand by what I posted.

Dragon's Dogma

Demon souls

Dark souls

Hyperdimension Neptunia

Atelier series

Ni No Kuni

The Tales series

This is a good example. Plus I personally enjoyed Final Fantasy XIII and Final Fantasy XIII-2

I know what you're saying. Many of them these days feel like they're missing something. Personally I miss turn based combat, Lost Odyssey and The Last Remnant were real gems however they weren't available on the PS3. RPG's have changed quite a bit, but I've still found many to enjoy and I'm not even that big in to the Skyrim/Fallout style.

I know what you're saying. Many of them these days feel like they're missing something. Personally I miss turn based combat, Lost Odyssey and The Last Remnant were real gems however they weren't available on the PS3. RPG's have changed quite a bit, but I've still found many to enjoy and I'm not even that big in to the Skyrim/Fallout style.

Agreed. Lost Odyssey is probably my favorite JRPG this generation.

To others I am referring mainly to turn based JRPG titles. I should've probably clarified that, my apologies. Yes I know that FFXIII was regarded as good by many people. But when it takes away things such as an open world experience, along with exploration both in that open world and actual towns, then it is going in the wrong direction to me. I merely think of the game as ok, and will eventually complete it merely because it is a Final Fantasy title, and I try to have beaten all of them (except FFXII, couldn't stand it). 

Traditional mechanics of games you mentioned have changed and evolved. There are a lot of jrpgs this generation. Not sure what you're trying to get at. If you mean turn based then some are still being made while FF games tried to adapt and expand and do things differently.

At the end of the day rpgs never went anywhere, you just might not be looking in the right places

I agree with this statement. RPG's as we knew it in has changed dramatically as time and technology came and went. I never thought the RPG went anywhere; they just changed from what we grew up with in the late 80's to early 90's. I mean, from the first FF to Secret of Mana to Chrono Trigger, you can see the evolution of RPG's happening, all happening within - like what - 5-6 years from each other? Same thing happening now - you may not like them, or consider them RPG's, or not even know about them, but it's still there regardless.

In terms of Turn-Based JRPG's? I think they'll still be around regardless of what's being done right now.

Edited by skinner49

This generation had some good RPGs and some that are WAY TOO SHORT. Still RPGs makers needs to look at either Baldur's Gate series NOT the Dark Alliance series OR look at the older ones from the PS era including how long they are. Ni No Kuni is a great example of them swinging back. If the PS4 RPGs promises are met like The Witcher 3 length in the main campaign than yeah I can see them swing back to the days of the PS 1 where good story and how long the game lasts makes RPGs worth an buy and even replays. I'm going to see how this all goes down though in the future starting with The Witcher 3, DA:I, FF 15 and Kingdom Hearts 3 goes this route.

Everyone keeps talking about Ni No Kuni on PS3, and all I have heard is good things. So maybe this is one of the games I need to check out. How does the game play? Is it turn based?

Plays like Final Fantasy 12 when you get into combat yet it's like Pokemon when your working on your minions and upgrading em. Still it's one of those games that will keep you very busy for awhile.

Agreed. Lost Odyssey is probably my favorite JRPG this generation.

To others I am referring mainly to turn based JRPG titles. I should've probably clarified that, my apologies. Yes I know that FFXIII was regarded as good by many people. But when it takes away things such as an open world experience, along with exploration both in that open world and actual towns, then it is going in the wrong direction to me. I merely think of the game as ok, and will eventually complete it merely because it is a Final Fantasy title, and I try to have beaten all of them (except FFXII, couldn't stand it). 

If your hoping for RPG's to go back to turned based I think you'll be sadly disappointed. RPG's seem to be taking a more action oriented approach, for example; Final Fantasy. As for FFXIII being linear, that was improved on in FFXIII-2 and it had towns.

I liked turn based and wouldn't care if there were more games with it but I prefer action RPG's and am really looking forward to what Final Fantasy XV and Kingdom Hearts III have to offer next gen.

If your hoping for RPG's to go back to turned based I think you'll be sadly disappointed. RPG's seem to be taking a more action oriented approach, for example; Final Fantasy. As for FFXIII being linear, that was improved on in FFXIII-2 and it had towns.

I liked turn based and wouldn't care if there were more games with it but I prefer action RPG's and am really looking forward to what Final Fantasy XV and Kingdom Hearts III have to offer next gen.

Well I haven't tried out FF XIII-2 in all honesty, and that is probably because I assumed it was more of the same. Before the game came out when I played it at E3 there was only the battle sequences that were accessible, so I had no clue there were towns. I just look back at the amount of exploration that I did in games like FFVII and VIII and realize that I played those games for well over 100 hours each and never got tired of them. Maybe I just need to get through FF XIII and give FF XIII-2 a chance. What changes are happening in FF XIII-3?

One thing I will say when they showed the footage of FFXV at the Sony press conference my jaw hit the floor. I cannot wait for that game. 

Well to anyone interested you should check out this kickstarter. Looks very interesting and is coming to Vita/PS4 next year.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/disastercake/soul-saga-a-j-rpg-inspired-by-playstation-classics/posts/522368

This looks pretty awesome. 

Well I haven't tried out FF XIII-2 in all honesty, and that is probably because I assumed it was more of the same. Before the game came out when I played it at E3 there was only the battle sequences that were accessible, so I had no clue there were towns. I just look back at the amount of exploration that I did in games like FFVII and VIII and realize that I played those games for well over 100 hours each and never got tired of them. Maybe I just need to get through FF XIII and give FF XIII-2 a chance. What changes are happening in FF XIII-3?

One thing I will say when they showed the footage of FFXV at the Sony press conference my jaw hit the floor. I cannot wait for that game. 

This looks pretty awesome. 

I agree, Final Fantasy XV looks lovely and I have been waiting for it ever since they first showed Final Fantasy XIII and Final Fantasy Versus XIII(XV) for the first time. Longest time I've had to wait for a title to release.

As for your Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII question. 

The changes are the following 

• Lightning returns as the main playable protagonist 
  • Lightning will be the only playable character and there will be no other party members
  • There's a time limit(the world will end in 13 days unless Lightning stops it)
  • The paradigm combat system has become more action oriented and now you can manually attack with the corresponding button.
  • You can manually walk during battle

These are the biggest changes that stick out for me.

I agree, Final Fantasy XV looks lovely and I have been waiting for it ever since they first showed Final Fantasy XIII and Final Fantasy Versus XIII(XV) for the first time. Longest time I've had to wait for a title to release.

As for your Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII question. 

The changes are the following 

• Lightning returns as the main playable protagonist 
  • Lightning will be the only playable character and there will be no other party members
  • There's a time limit(the world will end in 13 days unless Lightning stops it)
  • The paradigm combat system has become more action oriented and now you can manually attack with the corresponding button.
  • You can manually walk during battle

These are the biggest changes that stick out for me.

I still don't understand why they are building an entire game around one of the most boring FF characters ever. I mean it was bad enough we had to play as her ditzy sister in 13-2 but being forced to play as nothing but Lightning is going to be painful :(

Edited by Dr_Mayus

I still don't understand why they are building an entire game around one of the most boring FF characters ever. I mean it was bad enough we had to play as her ditzy sister in 13-2 but being forced to play as nothing but Lightning is going to be painful :(

The thing is that there are quite a few people who like Lightning a lot as a character, but there are also a lot of people that don't. Personally I have yet to beat FF XIII, so I can't comment yet, but from what I've played she seemed a bit boring so far. I was hoping she would grow as a character, but from your comment that doesn't seem to be the case.