Do You Feel RPG's Will Make A Return?

BigPete7978

The thing is that there are quite a few people who like Lightning a lot as a character, but there are also a lot of people that don't. Personally I have yet to beat FF XIII, so I can't comment yet, but from what I've played she seemed a bit boring so far. I was hoping she would grow as a character, but from your comment that doesn't seem to be the case. 

It just seems that ever since 7 (excluding 9) Square has just tried to make the main character very emo and it gets old quick. Personally I like Sahz the best (he is one of my favourite FF characters of all time) and while he wouldn't have made a very good main character he was just a lot of fun whenever he was on screen. Also his ending to 13 (won't spoil it) actually made me tear up a little.

I still don't understand why they are building an entire game around one of the most boring FF characters ever. I mean it was bad enough we had to play as her ditzy sister in 13-2 but being forced to play as nothing but Lightning is going to be painful :(

I like Lightning but that's obvious.

I'm also looking forward to the adjustments they made. Combat seems even more fun now.

Plays like Final Fantasy 12 when you get into combat yet it's like Pokemon when your working on your minions and upgrading em. Still it's one of those games that will keep you very busy for awhile.

That's exactly how I'd describe it.

Toss boring grind, childish story and overrated in for good measure.

That's exactly how I'd describe it.

Toss boring grind, childish story and overrated in for good measure.

So I take it you aren't a fan of the game?

It just seems that ever since 7 (excluding 9) Square has just tried to make the main character very emo and it gets old quick. Personally I like Sahz the best (he is one of my favourite FF characters of all time) and while he wouldn't have made a very good main character he was just a lot of fun whenever he was on screen. Also his ending to 13 (won't spoil it) actually made me tear up a little.

I can see where you are coming from with that. I've played all the Final Fantasy titles, but Final Fantasy VII was the first game I actually got into and completed, followed by FF VIII and FF IX. Personally I like FF VIII the best. I enjoyed seeing Squall break out of his shell as the game progressed, and I feel this was due to Rinoa and the relationship they had in the game. My second favorite is FF VII, followed by FF IX. I remember when FF X was coming out and everyone was flipping out because it was the first game with voice acting in the game. That never really adding anything IMO to the game. Heck if you look at Lost Odyssey, which you had to read most of the in game dialogue, I think that game is a JRPG everyone needs to play, and that's from this gen. Don't get me wrong, I liked FF X a lot, but my favorite FF titles are definitely on the PS1. I have never and most likely will never beat FF XII, just don't like the game. Atleast with FF XIII I enjoy the game somewhat as I play it.

But when it comes down to it I feel that the best Final Fantasy titles were on the PS1, and that is my opinion, other gamers feel differently about which console had the best FF titles.

So I take it you aren't a fan of the game?

I liked Ni No Kuni - it's fun, it's easy and it's relaxing to play, but it's also really boring and not the be-all and end-all JPRG it's made out to be.

Valkyria Chronicles is a far better game...if only it had trophies  :awesome:

Question for RPG fans. Do you honestly believe that the JRPG's of this generation can hold up to the JRPG's we got in the past on the PS1 and PS2? With series like:

• Shadow Hearts
  • Baldur's Gate
  • Chrono Trigger
  • Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga I and II
  • Secret of Mana
  • Dragon Quest VIII
  • Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
  • Xenogears
  • Final Fantasy IV-X
  • Chrono Cross
  • Vagrant Story

That is just a short list. I can keep listing titles from the past generations of gaming. Many regard these as classics in the JRPG genre by most all fans. There were very few titles that got regarded as a classic in this generation of gaming.  Ni No Kuni, Valkyrie Chronicles, Tales of Vesperia, and Persona 4 are some that I can think of off the top of my head. To say that Final Fantasy XIII is of the same level as those titles is wrong IMO. It just seems that everyone say the genre is evolving, but to me it just seems as if the genre is taking more of an action approach. This makes it not a JRPG anymore, well atleast a turn based one. And yes I do agree that Atlus has been the main developer/publisher that has stepped up in the RPG genre. 

The problem is Atlus did not released Persona 5 this gen, nor Cyberconnect released a .hack// reboot (I know most of you don't know this series,shame on you).

Western RPG's have taken the lead without a doubt, why? I can't really say, JRPG's are lacking something, maybe is that the main characters don't click with me as much as before, I mean, it is so hard to release a game were the main character is not some emo, instead make him cocky and cunning like Balthier?

But don't loose your hope yet, Tales of Xillia is coming to this side of the pond :D

Question for RPG fans. Do you honestly believe that the JRPG's of this generation can hold up to the JRPG's we got in the past on the PS1 and PS2? With series like:

• Shadow Hearts
  • Baldur's Gate
  • Chrono Trigger
  • Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga I and II
  • Secret of Mana
  • Dragon Quest VIII
  • Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
  • Xenogears
  • Final Fantasy IV-X
  • Chrono Cross
  • Vagrant Story

That is just a short list. I can keep listing titles from the past generations of gaming. Many regard these as classics in the JRPG genre by most all fans. There were very few titles that got regarded as a classic in this generation of gaming.  Ni No Kuni, Valkyrie Chronicles, Tales of Vesperia, and Persona 4 are some that I can think of off the top of my head. To say that Final Fantasy XIII is of the same level as those titles is wrong IMO. It just seems that everyone say the genre is evolving, but to me it just seems as if the genre is taking more of an action approach. This makes it not a JRPG anymore, well atleast a turn based one. And yes I do agree that Atlus has been the main developer/publisher that has stepped up in the RPG genre. 

JRPG's aren't defined by turned based mechanics. Nothing stays the same forever, evolving isn't probably isn't the best word but JRPG's are constantly changing and it's to be expected.

As for comparing previous generations JRPG's to current gen JRPG's I find it a little unfair and have no comment.

I do think we have gotten some great JRPG's this gen with Tales of Vesperia, Ni No Kuni, Valkyria Chronicles as you mentioned. Plus there's Tales of Graces f, Persona 4 Golden. There's also Tales of Xillia which will release in a month and I also think Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII is shaping up to be great imo. I don't compare any game with another, I just judge it for what it is.

JRPG's aren't defined by turned based mechanics. Nothing stays the same forever, evolving isn't probably isn't the best word but JRPG's are constantly changing and it's to be expected.

As for comparing previous generations JRPG's to current gen JRPG's I find it a little unfair and have no comment.

I do think we have gotten some great JRPG's this gen with Tales of Vesperia, Ni No Kuni, Valkyria Chronicles as you mentioned. Plus there's Tales of Graces f, Persona 4 Golden. There's also Tales of Xillia which will release in a month and I also think Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII is shaping up to be great imo. I don't compare any game with another, I just judge it for what it is.

That is a great approach to have, and I honestly do agree that Tales of Xillia looks amazing. I still need to see more footage of Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII to get it. The changes they have made do have me intrigued, but I can't justify the purchase as of yet. 

Edited by BigPete7978