do hordes respawn?

melodicmizery

lets say i go to a location like the sawmill with the horde that is there if i kill half and come back much later, do those half stay gone. or does the number reset to the max that the horde was originally? i wasted alot on one section and i keep dying at the next section then i have to retry both which really sucks. id like to kill some and dwindle the number down and save up on ammo and come back and hack away at them little by little. is that possible or is it just going to reset back to the max

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, melodicmizery said:

lets say i go to a location like the sawmill with the horde that is there if i kill half and come back much later, do those half stay gone. or does the number reset to the max that the horde was originally? i wasted alot on one section and i keep dying at the next section then i have to retry both which really sucks. id like to kill some and dwindle the number down and save up on ammo and come back and hack away at them little by little. is that possible or is it just going to reset back to the max

I am pretty sure they dont respawn as I ran out of ammo and had to run to my bike to refill ammo and my game saved and I died shortly afterward and when i respawned the health bar of the horde had been updated to my previous checkpoint

• Like 1

Yes they will respawn to their original numbers if you leave them for too long, it's OK to retreat on your bike and going back to them, but do it right away. Best thing to do besides the story related Hordes, is to wait post game if you're going for the bike skin, in defeating all 40. You'll be much stronger, more supplies and better guns. I made a thread about fighting the Hordes and an easy strategy and which gun, for people having trouble.

Edit: Also if you do story related Hordes like the Sawmill, it will be a waste, not sure if they will respawn for the story, but why bother trying to kill that massive Horde earlier. 

Edited by Nitemares-----
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Nitemares----- said:

Yes they will respawn to their original numbers if you leave them for too long, it's OK to retreat on your bike and going back to them, but do it right away. Best thing to do besides the story related Hordes, is to wait post game if you're going for the bike skin, in defeating all 40. You'll be much stronger, more supplies and better guns. I made a thread about fighting the Hordes and an easy strategy and which gun, for people having trouble.

Edit: Also if you do story related Hordes like the Sawmill, it will be a waste, not sure if they will respawn for the story, but why bother trying to kill that massive Horde earlier. 

thanks. yah i was in the area hutning a bounty and found them, its so much fun trying to kill them all i couldnt stop even though i kept dying lol. i finally gave up and decided to wait

• Like 1

Sometimes they respawn right in the middle of you trying to kill them all ? I found this out the hard way. Went to kill the hoard near the Pillette Bridge Nero Checkpoint, and while looking for stragglers, went into the train tunnel where they were originally hiding, and they all respawned again. And guess where it auto-saved..... So yeah. Escaping a hoard while being boxed in a tunnel was all sorts of fun times ? 

There's a super easy way to kill them without using too much ammo. At some point I found out if you just run away from them without sprinting, for some reason they can't catch you. As long as you keep them all behind you. While jogging you turn you're camera so Deacon runs toward it and you can see them behind you. Than sprint a little to get some distance and immediately use focus and throw a napalm molotov a couple of times until you killed enough and after that you can kill the rest the same way with controlled salvos. Never ran out of ammo or explosives that way. Also hunt them by day to make sure they're in their caves so you can start the confrontation with a surprise attack by throwing a grenade or two in there, or even better attractor bombs.

My apologies if this trick is already known. I just played the game without paying attention to other people playing it and without looking anything up to avoid spoilers.

• 2 weeks later...

i platted the game a little while ago. after i beat the game i went from horde to horde wiping them out easily. i used basically focus and alot of bullets and molotovs. 

they are outside during the daylight, and in their cave hiding spot at night (i think thats how it went, if not then vice versa)

i often found going to there cave and setting a few bombs down if i had them far from the cave and one from the entrance. and then throwing molotovs inside like a maniac and then shooting them as they are bottlenecked at the cave entrance wiped them out pretty fast. i used the one gun that was like a tommy gun for my left, the gun that was like a lmg for my bottom, and then the gun that was kinda like a mac10 for my right. 

its alot easier later on when they give you a horde health bar so you actually know what your fighting and how much