Elden Ring (February 25, 2022)

ziggypossum

18 hours ago, NxtDoc said:

I understand that.  I debate all the time when people say that "gameplay offers nothing new" or "same repetitive mission structures", there is only so many things that developers can do.  I believe we are at a point where game structures are what they are, and to me that is fine.

I love the Tenchu Series,, Demon's Souls, and Sekiro.  What I am talking about with From Software is that their animations for example are the same.  Sekiro (again, which I loved) have the same Animations as Tenchu.  Which was nostalgic for me.  But, it is starting to get tiresome for me.  

For example, BioWare.  Same structures for DA, and ME.  But they look, feel, and play different.  It almost feels, to me, that FS is falling under the Ubisoft umbrella.  All their games feel, look, and play the same.  I may be crazy in that regard.  But it has been a long time now, that their animations are the same as their other games.  

No, you’re not crazy. I can see your point. ?

I haven’t played Tenchu, but I did actually notice a lot of the animations shown in the trailer looked exactly like Sekiro. It didn’t really bug me though. Perhaps I am just unbothered by smaller details such as animations. I care much more about retaining the “soul” of these games and that they continue to offer to same kind of epic experience they have been known for since the beginning.

However, I do think From Software could achieve this while still innovating or switching things up a bit like you say. It’s amazing how sometimes those little changes can end up having a huge impact overall. I think Bloodborne is an excellent example of this - at its core it’s pretty much the same Dark Souls experience and Dark Souls mechanics offered by the previous game, but transplanted into a brand new gothic-horror setting with some unique additions. But the result was something that felt entirely fresh, and became a game that is widely regarded as a masterpiece by myself and many others. I agree that there is room for From Software to maybe do a little more to make each game stand out from its predecessors.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dieselmanchild said:

No, you’re not crazy. I can see your point. 1f642.png

I haven’t played Tenchu, but I did actually notice a lot of the animations shown in the trailer looked exactly like Sekiro. It didn’t really bug me though. Perhaps I am just unbothered by smaller details such as animations. I care much more about retaining the “soul” of these games and that they continue to offer to same kind of epic experience they have been known for since the beginning.

However, I do think From Software could achieve this while still innovating or switching things up a bit like you say. It’s amazing how sometimes those little changes can end up having a huge impact overall. I think Bloodborne is an excellent example of this - at its core it’s pretty much the same Dark Souls experience and Dark Souls mechanics offered by the previous game, but transplanted into a brand new gothic-horror setting with some unique additions. But the result was something that felt entirely fresh, and became a game that is widely regarded as a masterpiece by myself and many others. I agree that there is room for From Software to maybe do a little more to make each game stand out from its predecessors.

I completely agree.  I hope you enjoy Elden Ring as much as you did the others.  And I too look forward to seeing how their formula for a unique experience advances. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, NxtDoc said:

I completely agree.  I hope you enjoy Elden Ring as much as you did the others.  And I too look forward to seeing how their formula for a unique experience advances. 

Thanks man, I hope you find it satisfactory as well! Based on what we’ve seen so far, it looks like it might be impossible not to. ?

Day 1 pre order. So excited. 

Also, I'm a sucker for the lore and theories in these games. So I'm just gonna throw one out there. I'm convinced this world is the same as Dark Souls. Obviously far in the future. The age of fire is over and now it's the age of gold? (Golden Order and your character being called tarnished). But there are things in there that show these new beings still know about Gwyn's time and maybe even worship him. Similar to DS3, but to a lesser extent. You can see a painting of someone who looks an awful lot like Gwyn in the screenshot with the lady/knight chilling in the dark room. You have Gwyn's castle from Anor Londo still there. Maybe plucked away to preserve it? And then the dragon throwing Gwyn's lightning bolts (he wouldn't like that).

I can't wait to see what other hints they have to make you say "OK, this may be the same world". 

Edited by PeachesPK

I see some other people talking about "more of the same" and I honestly get the same feeling, but more of the same when it comes to soulslike is great, in my opinion. there really hasn't been another company to nail the formula (except, maybe, Koei Tecmo, but let's see how that Final Fantasy soulslike turns out), and there haven't been many significant twists on the soulslike foruma yet yet really make the game feel unique, exception to Hollow Knight.

This isn't Ubisoft, who took the open world formula, they didn't invent it like FromSoft did the soulslike, and gave it their own flavour and gave up on pumping anything else. GTA was already around for six years when the original Assassin's Creed came out, and the series didn't come into it's own until the second game in 2009, and in the meantime we had a bunch of other takes on the open world games with Saints Row, Yakuza, Far Cry 2, Fallout 3...

Soulslike, on the other hand, you don't really have "other flavours", every souls like plays basically like Dark Souls *but*, or just like Dark Souls. Blasphemy and Salt & Sanctuary play like Dark Souls *but* 2D, Eitr plays like Dark Souls *but* isometric, Nioh is Dark Souls *but* mission-based, Lords of the Fallen is Dark Souls *but* bad... We're starting to see the genre try new things now, to varying results, in games like Remnant From the Ashes and Hollow Knight. Even Darksiders, a series know for casting a wide net when it comes to influences and having their games feel like a cohesive mix of many popular series at the time, couldn't put a spin on soulslike when they gave it a shot.

FromSoft has also done it's part to expand on what soulslike combat feels like. Before Bloodborne, soulslike meant "slow and methodical", then it suddenly didn't mean that anymore; before Sekiro it meant builds and classes, and then they showed it didn't have to be like that. I'm anxious to see what Elden Ring is gonna bring to the table, even if it only challenges a single aspect of the formula.

TL;DR: we still haven't learned how to dismember Souls games in order to further the genre, some people are doing it, but we're still not at a point where the games are stale. And FromSoft does it's part of push the boundaries of what it means to be a soulslike. For now, "more of the same" always come with a little twist, even if it's not huge, but the genre became a thing just over ten years ago and it's still figuring itself out.

• 2 months later...

eqk4lia.jpg

gHL2Gg8.jpg

vAOtarI.jpg

FfF6ftI.jpg

69kZ2RZ.jpg

We saw 15 minutes of Elden Ring gameplay and got our first extended hands-off look at From Software's Latest. Check out our first Elden Ring preview to get a better understanding of the way the world is split between the open field, dungeons, and Legacy Dungeons, along with a little taste at what the first legacy dungeon, Stormveil Castle, has in store.

Edited by ziggypossum
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, jackgalligan1 said:

I was laughing harder than I have in a long time when they revealed this. This is the exact same thing as demon‘s souls, and dark souls. Why would anyone who has already played those games be even remotely interested in this? It’s the same game. 

Sometimes “more of the same” is all that you need! Can’t wait for one of the best lines…. Door opens from the other side!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/7/2021 at 5:32 PM, Doomsounder said:

NGL, the total lack of marketing/info since Gamescom had me thinking about a delay, but this news coupled with the TGS interview and the new info Bandai Namco dropped today, and it seems the game is right on track for January 21st.

I sure hope so, because I took the entire week of release off from work for this game ?

• Like 1

On 12/10/2021 at 7:32 AM, SlDHEAG said:

I sure hope so, because I took the entire week of release off from work for this game 1f602.png

Same here dude! Unfortunately I don't think we're out of the woods yet, I reckon they want a delay as much as we do (aka no delay at all) so if they do delay it it'll probably be a very late announcement (December). What gives me a bit of pause is the lack of a network test. Every game of theirs has had one since Dark Souls 2, not having one this time around seems odd, to say the least.

Although I love the SoulsBournes, I've not been megahyped for one for a long time, not until Elden Rings that is.

I wasn't sold at first, but upon looking into it a bit and finding its a proper Open World this time, I can't wait!! Going to be awesome to jump into a full Open World Souls (Rings) game ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ScarecrowsFate said:

Loving everything I've seen thus far; just hope there isn't too much grindy covenant stuff linked to trophies this time. Farming vertebrae and ears was dreadful.

Don’t remind of that. I remember farming for hours for the Proof of a Concord Kept. I never want to fight another silver knight again ever ? I’m hoping for an enjoyable trophy list and some actual story this time since GRRM is involved. 

Edited by Quink666