Elden Ring (February 25, 2022)

ziggypossum

On 10/11/2021 at 9:46 PM, ziggypossum said:

Base PS4 performance

Look's and run great happy to pre-order on my base PS4 like God of war Ragnarok, Horizon II and Gotham Knights PS4 on 2022 is on fire after that i think i buy a PS5 ( maybe SLIM? )

11 minutes ago, objectioner said:

Played the first session yesterday of the base PS4

Hi mate, game run fine on base PS4 like i see in a video? thx

14 minutes ago, Neme-ita said:

Hi mate, game run fine on base PS4 like i see in a video? thx

Pretty much, though I did notice some minor pop in from long distances - things like grass/small plants etcetera.

And there was some minor frame rate dropping when I went near the big dragon in the lake - this only lasted a couple of millisecond.

This could just be a network test quirk.

It looks surprisingly very good for the old hardware, when I was on top of a very high piece of ruins I could look out in every direction with no visible drop in far away resolution.

I'm planning on getting it on PS4 because god knows when I will get my hand on a PS5.

But I can imagine this game will look stunning on PS5 with a 4k tv.

Edited by objectioner
Grammar
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, HoorayForTyler said:

I can understand where you’re coming from then. With George R.R. Martin being apart of the project though I can only imagine that there’s a lot more lore involved in the game, whether it be from the characters encountered, item descriptions, or environments. And the most iconic part of FromSoft games are the bosses usually, so maybe the ones in this new game can breathe some fresh air into newcomers of the series and veteran players alike. 

I posted some footage and reviews from some of the people who had access to the exclusive early network test in another thread (Iron Pineapple, Fextralife, and Skill Up) and I don’t remember who covered this in their video, but one of them talked about how the story seemed far less abstract than previous Soulsborne games and was easier to follow along and understand.

It does sound like in some ways it will share that mysterious nature that is typical of the Soulsborne games, as there is a huge amount of depth to the world that will reward players who pay attention to small details, read item descriptions closely etc. with additional information to flesh everything out. But in general it sounds like it’s supposed to be more accessible to the average player.

Miyazaki addressed this recently in an interview:

Game Creator Hidetaka Miyazaki tells how Elden Ring changed that with the help of the great novelist George RR Martin. Miyazaki revealed that the story and story of the game this time is based solely on the characters. “…this is a lot easier to understand, a lot easier to approach in that sense,” he said. “So it’s less abstract.”

The players’ characters are more like a blank slate, but to top that off, the other characters will give the depth of the story. They add the “sense of color and multifarious motives and ulterior motives” that keep players engaged and leave them doubting as they explore the world

While the developers strive for the level of understanding that is easily accessible, the world itself has a lot more depth as players discover more. “And again this depth, this idea of exposing the world along the way, picking up the many little pieces, it’s layered, it’s complex, it’s very fascinating,” explains Miyazaki

George RR Martin has helped in many ways, namely building a foundation of the story such as world history and mythos. World Building has helped a lot in the development of this grand masterpiece, which is why Miyazaki is so grateful to the creator of Game of Thrones.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, objectioner said:

Pretty much, though I did notice some minor pop in from long distances - things like grass/small plants etcetera.

And there was some minor frame rate dropping when I went near the big dragon in the lake - this only lasted a couple of millisecond.

This could just be a network test quirk.

It looks surprisingly very good for the old hardware, when I was on top of a very high piece of ruins I could look out in every direction with no visible drop in far away resolution.

I'm planning on getting it on PS4 because god knows when I will get my hand on a PS5.

But I can imagine this game will look stunning on PS5 with a 4k tv.

Thx i have a 4K HDR tv but i enjoy base PS4 1080p IMHO is good enough 

5 hours ago, dieselmanchild said:

I posted some footage and reviews from some of the people who had access to the exclusive early network test in another thread (Iron Pineapple, Fextralife, and Skill Up) and I don’t remember who covered this in their video, but one of them talked about how the story seemed far less abstract than previous Soulsborne games and was easier to follow along and understand.

It does sound like in some ways it will share that mysterious nature that is typical of the Soulsborne games, as there is a huge amount of depth to the world that will reward players who pay attention to small details, read item descriptions closely etc. with additional information to flesh everything out. But in general it sounds like it’s supposed to be more accessible to the average player.

That’s actually really cool if so! I wouldn’t care much even if it still stayed mysterious and unraveled its story through gameplay and descriptions, but if they’re really going to let the narrative be more understandable to everyone then that’s a huge plus. I feel like Bloodborne pulled off story execution tremendously: kept the lore a secret throughout and made you work towards other areas and ultimately the end of the game to find out what hell was going on lol. After Bloodborne (I haven’t played Sekiro), I’m very excited for this game based on what I’ve been seeing and hearing! ?

I've completed another network test last night, I made the most of it because I won't have time to partake in the other sessions.

I managed to beat the main boss of the area and continue exploring until the demo say you can't go any further in this build.

I feel i've played as much as I need to see until release though, so if anyone has any questions I will be happy to answer as best I can.

Some extra observations from both sessions:

You can find a special reusable that lets you summon in phantom enemies.

You can't use these if you have a npc/player summons.

I found 3 different ones, I bought the wolf pack one to test

It used about half of my blue FP bar and summoned 3 wolves, like the one to can fight in the game.

If you are battling a non-fog gate boss (i.e. in the open world)you can get invaded while fighting it.

I got summoned in to help fight an open world boss right near the beginning, just as we started fighting it some twat invaded and made a be-line for the host who was preoccupied with not getting killed.

Some what related, I got invaded by an npc invader in the open world, I started panicking because i had half health and no healing flasks, suddenly a straw hat wearing shinobi looking friendly npc summon suddenly appeared to help me. 

The friendly npc was very chatty during the encounter, his dialogue seemed to imply he is a hunter of red phantoms (I think they are called Red Fingers).

There is crafting now, but you don't have do any if you don't want to.

Crafting materails are found everywhere, you need to find/buy 'cook books' to learn new craftables.

You can alternatively just uy the items from merchants.  

But crafting seems to be how this game gets around the issue in previous games where certain items would be too uncommon to to other using.

This game may not be Dark Souls but buy a torch!

There are plenty of areas and mini caves that are virtually pitch-black, with out a light source you are going to get gangbanged by the hidden enimies.

Lore and story details (Spoilers, I guess?).

Spoiler

Story is a bit sparse in the network test but I spent the last 15 minutes of last session reading as many of the item descriptions to gleam some hidden story details.

Disappointingly there is very little to be gleamed, most items just tell you plainly what they are/do, but here is some details I learned:

- Sorceries derive from Glintstone and derive power from the stars and 'the cosmos'.

- Mentions of groups of dragon worshipping knights trying and failing to gain the immortality of dragons. 

- There has been a succession of 'Elden Lords', something about the 'Elden Ring' being lost and the current world being in a worse state.

Also the world be located in the 'Lands Between'.

Maybe in they network test version they stripped some lore out, as not to reveal to much, but from what I picked up seemed very familiar,

The first 2 points reminded me of the Arcane from Bloodborne and the Drakeblood Knight from DS2.

On the topic of George.R.R.Martin, I wouldn't get to over excited about his contribution to the games development.

I found this video a while back about him talking about his involvement, he seems he has had a very limited involvement that doesn't go beyond just setting up a foundation for the world setting/background. 

He also says its a 'sequel to Dark Souls', - is it a direct sequel? a spiritual sequel like Demon's-Dark Souls? Or did he not fully understand what the game is?

Either way I find George.R.R.Martin to be overhyped, along with his 'i'm holier than thou' attitude to Tolkien put be off him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHzJG1hHTdU

Edited by objectioner

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

For those who pre-order from BestBuy get a free steelbook. Love it.

And those who pre-order from GameStop get a Steed Whistle Replica:

r0V0ec4.jpg7GSyktn.jpg

Edited by Ghost
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...