Nioh 2 closed alpha test set for May 24 to June 2

Aranea Highwind

1 hour ago, Aranea Highwind said:

The NA region got the invite recently (approx 7pm est) so be sure to check your email. A friend of mine who deleted Nioh 1 alpha within 10 minutes even got selected.

Was chosen to play the demo a few minutes ago! Hell yeah!! Downloading it now! 

On 5/22/2019 at 11:34 AM, ziggypossum said:

This game looks like another dlc to the first one. I'm not impressed at all at the moment. But it's an alpha version, so...

Sounds like someones mad they couldn't handle the vastly superior combat and gameplay mechanics of Nioh compared Derp Souls where friends can just join your game and drop you everything.

12 hours ago, iGGTheEnd said:

Nice I randomly got a code,  I hear people who haven't even played the first one have gotten codes.  You would think they would give them to those who have at least the platinum.

I am with you on that. People with the plat should have been a guarantee. Although important they get a good mix of new and returning players. (Although I suspect 95% of Nioh 2 purchases will be returning)

• Like 1

I'm disappointed I wasn't able to get the code, played it for over 600 hours on an old account and would have loved to got the chance to play the Alpha.

I feel the code should have been given to those who actually put hours in, have the platinum or 100%. It's just annoying to see those who don't care about the game get the code -_-

• Like 1

Well after playing the alpha for a few hours I have to say it feels pretty much like the first game except for the obvious differences like the Yokai Shift and there being something like mini-bosses throughout the areas. Or at least they felt like mini-bosses anyway. Unfortunately though it doesn't let you take screenshots so I couldn't really take any.

Difficulty wise it doesn't feel too bad compared to the first game and I never really felt like there was anything cheap or too punishing that happened. It does feel like the bosses have more health though but maybe that's just an alpha thing so that way people play it longer.

The good news is for co-op you can have two other people with you and whether you fail or complete a mission you all stay in the same party. And they included the Torii Gate thing so there's no requirement of only being able to co-op with someone that has completed the level before. I think the only drawback to doing co-op is there are some harder enemies placed in certain spots throughout the areas. And unlike the first game if someone dies during a boss fight in an exhibition and the co-op health meter runs out the fight still goes on so you are still given a chance to beat the boss even if that's out and someone else is down.

There were a couple of things I didn't really get though. For one there were those evil looking Kodama's that have a thing where when you talk to them you're supposed to give them something but I don't even know how you're supposed to figure out what it wants. And second there were these cat looking things that when you pet them they roll around with you and they give you some kind of buff but I wasn't sure what it was. I assume it was a defense buff. Either way I thought they were funny and cute :P

It didn't feel like anything was really OP but pretty much everyone I did co-op with was using an Odachi and I didn't really feel encouraged to use anything beyond that and the sword. I think there are less weapons than the first game in fact, especially since I didn't see the sickle, and in place of the dual-blades are these twin axes you can yield. There is still the spear though, but I think that's about it in terms of melee weapons. There is still the Onmyo Magic stuff but I didn't unlock or at least use anything if I had it. And I guess there are weapons that have a meter which if it fills up will do whatever elemental damage for a while. I had a sword that did Corrupt damage for instance.

Otherwise I didn't come across any connectivity issues or anything even when playing with two other people so the game seems pretty stable in that area which is nice because I remember the first game having issues with that at times.

Edited by Redgrave
  • Like 2

It would almost seem the people who played the first game and liked it doesn't get the alpha, only those who never has played it, so they might get tempted to buy Nioh 2, which those who didn't get alpha will anyway. Marketing scheme? ;p

10 hours ago, Redgrave said:

There were a couple of things I didn't really get though. For one there were those evil looking Kodama's that have a thing where when you talk to them you're supposed to give them something but I don't even know how you're supposed to figure out what it wants. And second there were these cat looking things that when you pet them they roll around with you and they give you some kind of buff but I wasn't sure what it was. I assume it was a defense buff. Either way I thought they were funny and cute :P

The purple Kodamas give you items in exchange for dropping something from the inventory. The first one I gave it a stone, and in return it gave me some equipment. To do so, you need to go to the item list and select an item to drop.

I'm not too sure about the cat buffs, can't remeber what it did exactly.

I completed the 2 stages so far and the gameplay is as good as the first one. I will list the pros and cons below.

Pros

The Yokai transformation makes the experience feel fresh. Very similar to the Living Weapon from Nioh 1, yet is different enough as you have access to a lot of combos and finishing moves. It takes a while to master the combos that you can perform while being on that transformed state

Soul Core is a new thing they added were you can summon Yokai's to do your dirty work. They appear for like 1 sec before they banish after doing their thing.So far i have over 10 Soul Core (a couple of them being of the same Yokai but they perform a different move when you summon them). I suppose we will easily have over 60 Soul Core when the game is released. You can only equip 2 of them and knowing when to use them is crucial as there's a bar that depletes after you summon the Yokai's.

Customization seems to be huge on the sequel. You are locked to 4 male and female presets during the alpha. However when you go to create a character you can see that you can customize just about anything such as the character hair, eye colors, weight, etc. You can even customize the way how the Yokai form looks like and the "Transform" tab is also visible which means that you will be able to look like some of the characters that will appear on Nioh 2.

Game feels less laggy when playing online. Perhaps they have improved servers for the sequel

Blue grave is a nice little addition for players that struggle against certain bosses or stages. When you activate a blue grave a controlled CPU character will fight along you until the stage is completed or they die. Summoning a real person to help you out is better for the most part, that said if you don't feel like waiting for someone to be summoned in your world, you have the option to summon a CPC ally.

Cons:

Yokai Shift during the boss battles are extremely unbalanced. The bosses have too much health during the alpha and the Yokai Shift makes things worse as you cannot recover ki during that phase of the battle while the boss is on steroids mode. They also need to adjust the camera for some encounter (the 2nd boss especially).

Overall:

Nioh 2 is more of the same so if you enjoyed the first game them you will enjoy the sequel. Only thing i found annoying are the bosses being unbalanced atm but i suppose they will make some adjustments after receiving the feedback. Below are some screenshot i took with a capture card.

Spoiler

SmkM8pf.jpg

82xg1wG.jpg

TLbdGo7.jpg

3ReLZxH.jpg

DYK5yWL.jpg

4oPened.jpg

Sy40ShF.jpg

VwdA4yN.jpg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Folkenio said:

The purple Kodamas give you items in exchange for dropping something from the inventory. The first one I gave it a stone, and in return it gave me some equipment. To do so, you need to go to the item list and select an item to drop.

I'm not too sure about the cat buffs, can't remeber what it did exactly.

Oh okay. I wasn't sure if it wanted anything specific and you were supposed to find out kind of like the Tanuki in the first game. I thought if I gave it the wrong thing it would have zapped me like it does in the trailer and I didn't want that to happen so I didn't bother giving it anything.

Spoiler
29 minutes ago, Aranea Highwind said:

Just completed the Twilight mission which is the last thing i needed to complete during the alpha. Like i previously said the enemy bosses have too much health (or at least the first one has too much health) other than that i feel the game is pretty balanced.

yeD1J7u.jpg

KMenKEJ.jpg

Well done and thanks for posting your thoughts on the alpha.

Only one question, do you get any rewards for finishing the alpha? In Nioh's alpha and beta I got a couple of helms as a reward and was wondering if they did something similar here.