Love this game

dannyswfc9

1 hour ago, charxsetsuna said:

A lot of people only own two controllers and think that's enough. For the longest time I only had two until I impulse brought a cheap third party one.

I believe for the majority of games, two controllers is the minimum required for trophies as most boostable trophies either can be done via a second controller or guest accounts. But there’s a minority which actually do require three or more controllers

I myself only had two controllers too and actually bought a scuf for some competitive gaming years ago in which now I use as a third controller for self boosting

But yeah for most games, two controllers is the bare minimum a trophy hunter should have

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Sikutai said:

Why should it be impossible Solo? I am not good at Racing Games and I platinumed it without Trouble. It' s a much easier Platinum as Sonic Forces and it was very fun online at Release with always full Lobbies and a lot of Sonic Fans.

BTW.: Team Sonic Racing is much better than CTR, and that is a Fact.

Well, I couldn't get past some of the star challenges on my own like some of the rings collecting challenge that I had to ask a friend to help me out with it.

As for the last part of your reply, well, that's your opinion and I respect it but claiming it to be a fact is downright ridiculous.  Opinions =/= facts.

Edited by milanbarca82
  • Like 2

On 3/13/2020 at 4:13 AM, milanbarca82 said:

The plat is definitely near impossible on Solo.  Just get yourself a friend to play co-op with as it makes things a lot easier.

It definitely isn't. The trophy requires completing a game, not winning it.

On 3/13/2020 at 4:21 AM, Sikutai said:

it was very fun online at Release with always full Lobbies and a lot of Sonic Fans.

Don't get me wrong, on average the game's online state since release has been horribly exaggerated but "always full lobbies" isn't true. Nearly full would be more accurate. Though I've seen multi-million and underselling games with online-mp struggles to consistently reach full lobbies too. CTR:NF itself on numerous occasions has had this issue as well through its whole life cycle, despite only requiring 8 players max.

I've gone on to say multiple times that comparisons between these games is at least partially nonsensical when you know both games extensively from their designs to their development plan, but to the extent that they can be compared I do agree.

On 3/13/2020 at 8:21 AM, charxsetsuna said:

Its possible solo I think but you do need three controllers for a trophy so there is a barrier for some people to get the plat.

There's no need for uncertainty; it is possible solo. Also, one doesn't need three controllers, if they have access to online/share-play.

Edited by EcoShifter

5 hours ago, charxsetsuna said:

A lot of people only own two controllers and think that's enough. For the longest time I only had two until I impulse brought a cheap third party one.

Okay, you can use a Standard 60 Euro Sony Joypad one year before it breaks and you need a new one. You can use the old Joypads for those type of Trophy, or do you throw they away? That would be dumb.

• 1 year later...
17 minutes ago, dieselmanchild said:

This game can be utterly infuriating. 

It's all about picking the right car for each race type. I'ld share more specific tips but my memory is the worst.

To be completely honest, halfway through I was doubting the game's fairness, but I ended up changing my opinion and finding the platinum challenging but fair.

I had a lotta fun with this game. Highly recommend.

Edited by LastMinuteSavior
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, dieselmanchild said:

After playing this for a few days I find myself shocked that this forum isn’t filled with ranting threads and raging PS+ users. This game can be utterly infuriating. 

Preach.

The amount of GPs that I lost because despite me coming in top 3 every single race, my team would usually place somewhere in the 6-12 ranks. The team mechanic is interesting, but I feel this game would be WAY easier if it was a "every racer for himself" approach. And most of the challenges are cruelly unforgiving, you can't really afford to make any error. No idea how this is supposed to be a 4/10 difficulty.

• Like 2

IIrc I got through the race events always using Sonic.

As long as I kept in the top spots my AI teammates would usually keep up the pace. Otherwise, if I fell behind, everything got harder because rivals would spam their power ups and screw us up.

More importantly, the trick to beat the skill events is picking the (ridiculous looking) Chao Pod.

It's fast enough and somehow it's a lot easier to control drifts. The larger vehicle body also makes it easier to collect rings.

On other good news, the game's difficulty peaks somewhere halfway through. The final level events actually felt easy by comparison.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, LastMinuteSavior said:

It's all about picking the right car for each race type. I'ld share more specific tips but my memory is the worst.

I experimented for quite a few hours and found generally Speed class is best for most races. And for Hard difficulty it’s an absolute must.

I mainly use Technique or Speed for the challenges, and I sometimes switch to Power class for Expert difficulty as there seems to be more weapon spam on Expert. Although it doesn’t seem to matter much as Expert feels significantly easier than Hard mode for some odd reason. It’s just faster.

Generally on Hard mode I find it’s very difficult to win without that extra boost from the Speed class. And I have a kitted out vehicle too with advanced stats from mod pods.

2 hours ago, Infernopommes said:

Preach.

The amount of GPs that I lost because despite me coming in top 3 every single race, my team would usually place somewhere in the 6-12 ranks. The team mechanic is interesting, but I feel this game would be WAY easier if it was a "every racer for himself" approach. And most of the challenges are cruelly unforgiving, you can't really afford to make any error. No idea how this is supposed to be a 4/10 difficulty.

The teamwork mechanic is very interesting, but again it can be absolutely infuriating. Mainly for 2 reasons:

1) You have little control over your teammates.

Even when handing them every single item, making my slipstreams as straight as possible to help them, and trying to drive in a pack with them so they can continually boost, more often than not when I win a race my teammates still place near the bottom of the heap and drag us down in the standings. This is particularly brutal in the Grand Prix races where you have to win 4 in a row.

2) The AI simply isn’t bound by the same rules.

In order to have success in this game, the player needs to really emphasize the teamwork aspect, using slipstreams to slingshot each other, using skim boosts, and passing items to your trailing teammates as frequently as possible - not to mention the various other mechanics to help you boost as much as humanly possible (ie tricks).

But on Hard mode there is ALWAYS this one asshole - usually Big, Chao, or Amy - who simply drives twice as fast as you and everyone else. They are always WAY ahead of the pack (including their own teammates) and don’t work with their teammates to win at all. They simply drive at supersonic speed and maintain that pace for the entire race.

To me this is undoubtedly the biggest bullshit of this entire game. Why even have a racing game that revolves around these intricate teamwork mechanics when your opponents aren’t even bound to the same rules as you?

I am just as baffled as you are that this has a 3/10 difficulty, 20 hour estimate in the guides. Like in what universe is that possible when luck plays such a huge factor, and having to restart or redo races and grand prix numerous times? Not to mention endless retries for the challenges which are extremely unforgiving and take a lot of practice to perfect.

1 hour ago, LastMinuteSavior said:

IIrc I got through the race events always using Sonic.

More importantly, the trick to beat the skill events is picking the (ridiculous looking) Chao Pod.

It's fast enough and somehow it's a lot easier to control drifts. The larger vehicle body also makes it easier to collect rings.

Yes, I agree. I have done a lot of experimenting and despite what people say about using different vehicles for different events, Sonic (Speed class) is by far the best racer to use in the majority of situations.

Also thank you for that tip about the Chao Pod. Now that’s a useful tip I haven’t seen before so I will definitely try it out!

Edited by dieselmanchild
  • Like 2

I don’t get this game. I started the campaign on hard and reached world 4 now. But I have to play every Grand Prix like 3-7 times just depending on luck. I am pretty good at arcade racing games and mostly reach the goal first while sharing all of my items when not getting scammed on the last meters but my team can’t win for Christ.

This is nothing about Skill. It’s just playing the same course over and over until I get eventually lucky and can move on to the next world and that annoys me so much you can’t even imagine.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, xIRockyRock said:

I am pretty good at arcade racing games (...) This is nothing about Skill.

Nah, it definitely requires a certain amount of skill. You won't stand a chance if you can't drive a decent lap or manage your power ups.

You - being a pro arcade racer - will certainly agree that most hard events in arcade racers involve rubber banding and rng turned up to eleven, and being able to face and circumvent those mechanics kinda becomes a skill in itself.

Older games like the Motorstorm series or the legacy Need for Speed entries weren't much different when it came to their harder events. Personally, I still find it more fun than certain sims where the AI is on rails, driving perfectly and not caring if I'm a mile ahead or a kilometer behind.

343871b0c592638ae44a39c37c9f3fe8a3078aed

There's no doubt Amy is a fucking cheater and is hinding a few nitrous oxide bottles under her seat, but 9 outta 10 times she loses steam on the final lap and is easily overtaken.

It's also true Knuckles couldn't win a race to save his life, but Tails usually delivers and gets to the podium if the player secures the 1st place. That's usually enough to win events.

Edited by LastMinuteSavior
  • Like 3

46 minutes ago, LastMinuteSavior said:

Nah, it definitely requires a certain amount of skill. You won't stand a chance if you can't drive a decent lap or manage your power ups.

You - being a pro arcade racer - will certainly agree that most hard events in arcade racers involve rubber banding and rng turned up to eleven, and being able to face and circumvent those mechanics kinda becomes a skill in itself.

Older games like the Motorstorm series or the legacy Need for Speed entries weren't much different when it came to their harder events. Personally, I still find it more fun than certain sims where the AI is on rails, driving perfectly and not caring if I'm a mile ahead or a kilometer behind.

343871b0c592638ae44a39c37c9f3fe8a3078aed

There's no doubt Amy is a fucking cheater and is hinding a few nitrous oxide bottles under her seat, but 9 outta 10 times she loses steam on the final lap and is easily overtaken.

It's also true Knuckles couldn't win a race to save his life, but Tails usually delivers and gets to the podium if the player secures the 1st place. That's usually enough to win events.

I am definitely not a pro but imo this game has way too much rng involved to be fun. Sometimes you won’t get hit by anything driving the perfect line with drift turbos etc, and 3 people just smoke you. I don’t know how this I possible.

Too much rubber band and rng for my taste. But well. Will do plat nonetheless.

Almost giving up now. Team green is always 2,3,4 which makes my team lose every single cup. I am driving this cup for almost the whole day now and that’s only world 3.

You have absolutely no impact on the outcome of this cup what makes this 100% luck and not fun at all.

Is there any trick or something I am missing, this game annoys the shit out of me.

4/10 lol, who ever wrote this trophy guide had the most luck on this planet. 

• Like 3

From what I have read on the game, the guide here (and on the other website, same author) it's clearly misleading a lot of people. 

You need humans players to win the races that requires multiple placement. 

I will probably try with my brother and my cousin, and hopefully should make it manageable. 

Edited by Play3GianniGreed

@xIRockyRock I'm starting to think they patched the game after I played it and made it harder ? (they probably didn't).

From what I remember I always tryed to pick up and use some rockets at the start of the tougher races to knock out a few enemies.

Than I focused on the driving and getting close to the top 3. It is very important to use the special fireball move (whatever it's called) at the right times, namely when you reach a long straight part of the road. Always try to get at least 2 of those mega boosts during the race, but save one for the last lap to make the opposition eat your dust.

Also aim the uber fireball to knock out any enemies that are still ahead of you.

This will also help your AI teammates move up a few places.

Oh! And, obviously, if you have the lead, try leaving obstacles behind you to make the adversaries spin-out.

Just don't place them at random, try to learn where your rivals are more likely to move through (also, narrow sections of the track).

And yeah, I'm aware everything I just said is kind of commonplace. But it worked for me.

Still, it's not all about rng. Having a strategy helps.

2 hours ago, Play3GianniGreed said:

You need humans players to win the races that requires multiple placement.

?

Yeah... not true. At all.

• Like 1

What I don't understand is that with maxed out Speed stat every opponent is still just as fast (base speed).

I was wondering if I should aim for other stats instead, if enemies are cheating anyway. But haven't tried that yet.

Races and cups have been tricky at times, and definitely need some luck, but are still manageable.

Also cannot get the key from first world, that requires 100 rings from a single drift. Have done 100+ and 150+ multiple times, getting platinum also, but it's not unlocking.

• Like 1

On 13.3.2020 at 10:21 AM, Sikutai said:

I have to disagree. I know it's your opinion and I'll respect it, but as mentioned earlier, claiming TSR to better than CTR NF as a fact is kind of low blow. Especially when compared to the amount of content CTR NF offers.

Edited by MrGarland
  • Like 3

Seriously, I can manage to come top 3 almost every time, about 80% of the time first place, on hard or extreme. Rarely use any wisps, giving them to my teammates 95% of the time. I still end up losing the GP because my teammates rarely place higher than 5, usually somewhere between 6-12. It just comes down to luck, that's my honest impression. Luckily I already finished hard, and extreme indeed tends to be a bit easier, so we'll see.

The times I'm not finishing top 3, it's because one of my teammates bumps into me close to the finishing line and spins me into a wall. Also, if I'm behind a teammate and there are let's say 2 wisp boxes, and they aim for the right, I deliberately aim for the left so we both can get one, there is a very high chance for them to change their mind literally last second and grab the left wisp before me. I'm not making this up, it's not selective perception or whatever, this is my honest experience.

If this game had online coop for Team Adventure instead of only couch coop, it would be much more enjoyable and probably much fairer.

If you and/or a friend of you has a PS5, you can join via shareplay. On PS4 we tried, but the lag is too much. For the challenges, you can also join to get more points, which makes the Daredevils way easier. But for the Ring challenges, the PS4 lag is too much again.

EDIT: On that note, if someone here has a PS5 and wants to help me ... ?

Edited by Infernopommes

20 hours ago, xIRockyRock said:

But I have to play every Grand Prix like 3-7 times just depending on luck.

This is nothing about Skill. It’s just playing the same course over and over until I get eventually lucky and can move on to the next world and that annoys me so much you can’t even imagine.

I feel your pain so much. ? I’m having the same experience. I feel like the guides for this game are extremely misleading. Not only does the rng make it highly luck dependant and raises the difficulty quite a bit, but 1 playthrough/20 hours just seems way off the mark based on my experience so far.

At minimum you are required to playthrough Adventure Mode 2x because Expert difficulty is unlocked from the start, but for most players I think it would be more accurate to say this will take closer to 3 (successful) playthroughs of each race as many people (myself included) will realize cleaning up the stars on normal difficulty is a lot easier.

When you factor in having to beat each race 2-3 times, and the sheer number of redos it takes to complete many of them (especially the Grand Prix events), I just can’t fathom how regular players are doing this in 20 hours.

The number of hours I’ve wasted replaying races already is adding up very fast. And I’ve hardly even touched the challenge events which will no doubt add hours of redos and failed runs in order to obtain platinum medals for each one. 

4 hours ago, Infernopommes said:

If this game had online coop for Team Adventure instead of only couch coop, it would be much more enjoyable and probably much fairer.

I couldn’t agree more with you on this point. ?

I think the addition of online co-op for Team Adventure would make this game so much more enjoyable, and also a lot more fair as having another human teammate would allow you to balance the scales and have more control over the outcome of the race. Unfortunately your AI teammates are pretty much useless, and for a teamwork based racing game this is quite detrimental to the overall experience, and the game suffers because of it.

This games sense of "speed" is acctually ridiculous. I feel like Im getting pulled back all the time, like some magnetic force just says no your not allowed to go fast.

I'll be in front the whole race, while knuckles and tails are spewing "We should do that team ultimate thing" or "its time for a team ultimate" and they don't just say it once... when I know full well if I use it before the end of the final lap I will lose , every, single , time.  The comps always use it before the end to overtake you at the last second. Yet if there in front of me, they slow down to a crawl so I can speed up. I will get the plat nonetheless.    

I have never found any notes of difficulty that are accurate, and they are almost always far below. I'm surprised anyone takes these guide notes seriously.