Mugen Souls Z Challenge World "Guide"

jemmie

So I recently got back into Mugen Souls Z, and after figuring out how to play (somewhat), I considered writing a guide once I'm (eventually) done with the game. After realizing how ridiculous that was, I decided to start smaller and share my experiences with Challenge World instead. There isn't much information on Challenge World, so hopefully this helps a few people. I could possibly write "guides" on the other modes as I clear them, but they would likely all amount to "Keep grinding until you're powerful enough to survive."

A few disclaimers before we begin:

1. I checked Challenge World periodically, completing challenges as early as possible. That being said, there are a good number of these that you can steamroll through with late-game stats. There are also a few that actually become slightly harder due to you needing to blast off enemies while keeping them alive. In those cases, just bring a weaker character or two with equipment that won't one-shot enemies.
  2. After entering each battle, press R1 to check the battle conditions of the fight.
  3. I am by no means an expert at this game, so if there are any simpler strategies for any of the challenges, feel free to let me know.

Now, onto the challenges!

1. Intro Challenge - Get a 7-hit blast off combo

Spoiler

To make this easier, kill a shampuru or two first using a skill with a high amount of blast off points to help fill your blast off gauge. Once the gauge is close to or at max, find the right angle and send a shampuru flying.

2. Beginner Challenge - Get two or more peons

Spoiler

For this, just defend when it’s not Syrma’s turn, and captivate any two enemies. Note that you must fill up the enemy’s heart gauge for the capture to count. At 8% charm, I was able to do this in a single turn, but you can likely do this without any trouble much sooner.

3. Newbie Challenge - Destroy two or more small crystals

Spoiler

In this challenge, all enemies will be bipolar. Use bipolar characters such as Nao and Shirogane and perform bipolar blast off skills so that the shampurus don’t die. Just keep aiming for any two small crystals until they’re both destroyed.

4. Amateur Challenge - Destroy a large crystal

Spoiler

Similar to the last challenge, you need to utilize skill types to blast off enemies without killing them. The only difference this time is that you need to break the large crystal. The attack shampurus will be hyper, and the defense shampurus will be masochist, so choose which type of skill you want to use. I personally killed the defense shampurus to build up my blast off gauge and then used Reu and Alys to blast off the attack shampurus. It will take quite a few hits to break the large crystal, so be patient. If you’re on a lower level, you may want to bring a few items to restore SP, just in case.

5. Practice Challenge - Coax four times

Spoiler

First, you will need to toggle coaxing on. This can be done during Syrma’s turn by pressing right on the menu and selecting coax. After that, just do what is prompted on the lower-left corner four times. Note that you do not have to coax four times in a row, so if any one task seems a bit tricky, just defend until the next prompt comes up.

6. Appraisal Challenge - Destroy three or more floating objects

Spoiler

By floating objects, the game is referring to the question mark blocks in the sky with gears around them. To destroy them, hit an enemy up there via blast off using a skill marked with float. Press up or down on the control stick to adjust the height of the blast. The angling may seem a little weird at first, but just keep adjusting until a hit marker comes up. You will likely need over 300 blast off per shot. The shampurus will all be graceful, so you can use characters such as Tsukika to build up the blast off gauge. Alternatively, you can use god-tier skills, which each add 500 blast off points. Characters will start learning these around level 50.

7. Evaluation Challenge - Get four or more peons

Spoiler

This is exactly the same as the Beginner Challenge except with double the peons. I completed this with 11% charm, but it can be done with a lot less.

8. Training Challenge - Defeat four or more enemies using linked attacks

Spoiler

Around level 20, characters will start to learn linked skills (the game gives a detailed tutorial when you learn your first one). Make sure that all four of your characters have at least one linked skill before trying this to speed up the process. There will be exactly four enemies on level 20, so make sure to finish off every one with a linked skill. If you can’t finish off an enemy in one hit, I’d advise going after the two Leptocephalus first since they have healing skills.

9. Trial Challenge - Activate Fever Mode twice

Spoiler

To activate Fever Mode, you’ll need to peonize a small crystal. This will most likely take multiple turns, so have Syrma captivating on one side of the map while everyone else lures the enemies away. You can peonize the enemies if Syrma’s range is good enough, so be careful that you don’t accidentally end the battle. Once the first Fever Mode starts, just find a new crystal and defend until the mode ends. Repeat one more time to complete the challenge. Note that you can also activate Fever Mode by angering the large crystal. This also destroys all small crystals, so make sure to only do this if you’ve already activated Fever Mode once.

10. Medium Challenge C - Defeat all enemies

Spoiler

Be warned! From this point forward, the challenges take a massive difficulty spike. To beat this challenge, you’re going to need to grind some levels and enhance your equipment. The enemies are only level 50, but several of them have several hundred thousand HP. To make matters worse, you can’t use special moves or U. Soul, you can’t captivate enemies (including the large crystal, and the first 32 hits of any combo does zero damage. Getting a 33-hit plus combo isn’t as bad as it seems though. Make sure you have Reu on your team (and/or Welsh if you’re far enough in the game) and equip the skill, Hop Step Destroyer. Make sure Syrma has the skill equipped too. Then, raise the agility of Reu/Syrma/Welsh so that they will have the first turn. Have your first character use Hop Step Destroyer to build up your combo, and then wail on the enemy with everyone else. Never attack after an enemy unless at least three of your characters are attacking in a row. Otherwise, either defend or use a healing skill to try to adjust the turn order to your liking. I’d suggest taking out the Cait Sith first. Not only do they have far less health, but they can boost enemy stats over a wide area, making the fight slightly harder if it drags on.

11. Medium Challenge B - Defeat all enemies

Spoiler

For this challenge, captivating is still blocked. There are eight enemies on level 75 with around 80K health each. The real issue is that you lose a tenth of your HP and SP each turn, so you’ll need to be quick. Utilize AOE attacks to finish the fight as quickly as possible. Again, enhancing your equipment before entering this fight is strongly recommended.

12. Medium Challenge A - Survive 40 turns

Spoiler

First, note that you don’t actually need to win the fight. All you need to do is survive 40 turns. Make sure your characters have high agility so that you can just sit tight and dodge all attacks. At around 3K agility, barely any attacks were hitting me. Have at least one character with high defense/magic defense as well to heal, just in case. Make sure to spread everyone out to avoid AOE attacks and revive/switch out when a character goes down as soon as possible.

13. Grownup Challenge - Defeat four or more enemies with a special move

Spoiler

This challenge takes another massive difficulty spike by having four level 150 enemies with around a million health each. Note that only the finishing blow needs to be a special attack, so feel free to whittle the enemy’s health down by other means. Random skills are blocked each turn (if there’s a pattern here, I’m not sure what it is). A good strategy here is to use a character with an AOE special attack and fully enhance a weapon so that you can one-shot everyone with a single special attack. Then, have two of your weakest characters go in and sacrifice themselves to build up PP quickly. I’d suggest having at least one healer in the back in case things go amiss. I personally used Alys with a fully-enhanced magician’s staff, but that was going a little overboard. Side note: the two Bakkon will not take any damage if hit from the front, so be careful of that.

14. Mega Training - Destroy eight or more small crystals

Spoiler

This is like the Newbie Challenge except much harder. The enemies will be level 200 with over a million HP (some even having health regen), so don’t worry too much about accidentally killing everyone. If you have an overpowered character from the previous challenge, you can use him/her to kill all but one enemy to avoid any problems. Once again, skills are randomly blocked each turn, but just slowly build up your blast off gauge and destroy the crystals one-by-one. There will only be six small crystals when the fight starts. To get the last two, you need to blast off an enemy with a float skill to break open the floating objects (similar to the Appraisal Challenge). To my knowledge, every floating object has another small crystal to break. This one will take a while, but just be patient.

15. Might Challenge - Get six or more peons

Spoiler

There are a few ways to tackle this one, but I’ll just say the way that I personally think is the easiest. First off, note that the layout of enemies at the start is random. If you don’t get three Kobold Commandos and two Thunderbirds, restart. As far as I know, the maximum amount of enemies at the start is five. Just like the last challenge, you’re going to need to blast off enemies into the air using skills with float to break open the floating objects. Each one has a Kobold Commando inside. All Kobold Commandos are sadists, and all Thunderbirds are hyper. For your party, you’re going to want to have Syrma/Chou-Chou, two healers, and a weak character with at at least one god-level skill. If you’re stats are high enough, you may prefer to use Syrma and Chou-Chou, but just note that you can’t use items in this challenge. If both charmers are knocked out due to a few bad turns in a row, things can get ugly fast. That is why at least one of your healers should know revive. I recommend using Sandy because not only can she revive others, but she can also cure all status effects. This helps tremendously because the Thunderbirds have a high chance of paralyzing characters when attacking. With all of the setup out of the way, the strategy itself is simple. With Syrma and/or Chou-Chou, charm the Kobold Commandos and defend. Meanwhile, the weak character will blast off the Thunderbirds into the floating objects to release more enemies. You can get away with starting with one Thunderbird, but it may be good to have a backup in case you accidentally kill the first one. If the weak character dies, either revive him/her or switch out to another weak character. At 20% charm, I was captivating enemies in two to three turns. Lastly, note that peonizing crystals won’t count towards this challenge.

16. Complacency - Get a 30-hit blast off combo

Spoiler

Compared to the last challenge, this one is a breeze. All enemies are invincible, so just build up your blast off gauge until it’s maxed out. Then, angle a maxed-out blast off attack just right to maximize your combo. The layout is different each time, but you should get well over 30 hits regardless.

17. Adept Challenge - Defeat all enemies or coax 18 times

Spoiler

This one is tedious but not that bad. First off, it is possible to kill everyone, but I wouldn’t recommend it unless you’re late in the post-game. Not only do some of the enemies have over 6M HP, but enemies will only take damage from a combo that’s 44 hits or more. Coaxing 18 times sounds like a lot, but just think of it as an extended version of the Practice Challenge. Turn coaxing on with Syrma as soon as possible and then heal during her turns since she can’t do much else. Have everyone else use low-SP skills to meet the coaxing requirements without being pushed back too far in the turn order. This is one of those challenges where characters take 10% HP and SP damage each turn, so make sure to keep an eye on your status. There are a lot of enemies, so it’s easy to get overwhelmed, but with a high defense, it’s doable. At 79K defense, the Wave Cannons were doing no damage to me, and at 172K defense, the Hammer Strikes couldn’t damage me either.

18. Pro Challenge - Get three or more peons at once

Spoiler

This challenge also has a random layout of enemies in the beginning. The key thing to note is that there will never be more than two Dragoneers or Death Bringers. That is why it is best to try to captivate the Twilight Bats. Restart unless there are at least four Twilight Bats at the start (preferably five). It’s also best to have no more than three other enemies at the start. You want to take out the Dragoneers and Death Bringer if possible since you’ll need to survive at least a few turns. Also, every time I have tried this challenge, half of my characters were in the range of a crystal where enemy attacks result in automatic death, so you need to have a high agility to out-speed everyone too. At around 40K agility, you can out-speed everyone but the Twilight Bats. All Twilight Bats will be hyper. At 23% charm, I was able to captivate them in three turns.

19. Expert Challenge - Get a 188-hit combo

Spoiler

Before taking on this challenge, you’ll want to upgrade your damage carnival. Mine was at rank seven when taking this on, but it doesn’t need to be that high. Have Syrma and/or Chou-Chou activate Fever Mode by charming a crystal. It will take a few turns, but if you were able to survive the Pro Challenge, the enemies here shouldn’t prove to be too much of a threat. Attacks won’t do any damage, so fill up your blast off gauge with your other characters while you wait. Be sure not to start Fever Mode until all four of your characters are in a row in the turn order. Each turn during Fever Mode, blast off an enemy using a float skill into one of the blue orbs in the sky. Adjust the meter so that you’re not using more blast off points than you need for any one shot. Depending on the strength of your damage carnival, you should win the challenge in two to four attacks.

20. Graduation Challenge - Defeat all enemies

Spoiler

This challenge may seem straightforward, but it’s actually a lot harder than it sounds. You need to beat eight LV999 Shampuru with 7-9M health a piece. This wouldn’t be so bad, but attacks only do damage if they’re part of a combo that’s 77 hits are more. Special moves and ultimate soul are blocked too. For this challenge, I resorted to buying the DLC weapons and fully enhancing them. That made me a bit overpowered at that point, but if you’re going to use them for the later parts of the post-game anyway, now may be a good time to upgrade those. The shampurus all have relatively high agility, so you’re going to want to have high defense/magic defense to survive their onslaught. At 2M defense, I was fine. Now, to get the 77 hits, your first step is to activate Fever Mode. Have Syrma and/or Chou-Chou captivate a small crystal while your other characters defend and lure the enemies into one spot. If there’s a crystal with reverse damage or enemy invincibility status, you’re better off charming those first to ensure that as many Shampurus are being attacked as possible. Don’t activate Fever Mode until at least three of your characters are attacking in a row. Have your charmer blast off an enemy using a skill with float into one of the blue orbs. Provided that your Damage Carnival is at max (or close to it), you should surpass 77 hits. Then, use AOE skills to wham on your enemies. The Shampurus can heal, so make sure that you’re strong enough to one-shot all enemies. At 13M intelligence, I was able to defeat all Shampurus in one attack. If Fever Mode runs out, find another crystal and repeat. Don’t anger the large crystal unless you know for sure that you can finish the fight within ten turns.

• Like 2

Great work on the guide, I managed to figure them out after awhile. The key is to carefully read the tutorials. Hardest trophy for me was Festival of Pain where you have to deal 999 999 999 999 damage in one battle with fully upgraded damage carnival. I did it in the 3rd battle of Mugen World Redux on the mamooth like enemy which had auto hp regen ability, just hit him as his hp regenerates and its pretty easy. Btw the requirements for Intergalactic Chou Chou were wrong in most guides I read, I got it for reaching 270000 shampurus. Good luck on the plat.

• Like 1

On 5/29/2019 at 11:09 PM, ReimiSaionji9742 said:

Great work on the guide, I managed to figure them out after awhile. The key is to carefully read the tutorials. Hardest trophy for me was Festival of Pain where you have to deal 999 999 999 999 damage in one battle with fully upgraded damage carnival. I did it in the 3rd battle of Mugen World Redux on the mamooth like enemy which had auto hp regen ability, just hit him as his hp regenerates and its pretty easy. Btw the requirements for Intergalactic Chou Chou were wrong in most guides I read, I got it for reaching 270000 shampurus. Good luck on the plat.

Thanks for the tips. I haven't gotten that far yet though. I'm currently stuck on the tenth battle of 7 World Redux and am in the process of getting 16 sun godess medals to become strong enough to survive the later fights. It takes me about five hours to reach max money though, so it's going to take a while.