What video game consoles did you have growing up? (Plat Cast Topic)

ChernobylNinja

Hey guys as many of you know @Bushido7745785 and myself host a podcast called Plat Cast and every week we ask a topic for discussion here on psnprofiles and we read out your responses on our podcast and our topic this week is:

What video game consoles did you have growing up? 

Also, join our discord! We talk about anything and everything and is the best way to suggest topics/chat with Zack (he is there he just lurks!) and myself discord.gg/hbTaVvh 

• Like 1

My first console was the original Playstation. I didn’t have a lot of games for it as the PS2 just came out when I got it so I eventually got PS2 not long after. I had a good ps2 collection before I stupidly traded everything in. Been trying to recuperate them ever since.  

Atari 2600. I have a picture somewhere of me getting E.T. for a birthday and look really excited because I have no idea what kind of disappointment I was in for with that experience. Followed by NES. I don’t think I still qualified as growing up if I had a job and was buying my own SNES games, right?

The first post I see about someone growing up only having a PS4 is going to make me dry heave. 

• Like 2

Growing up my first console was the Sega Genesis. I remember my dad coming home from work with the console and like 10 games inside a Publix bag, the most memorable of those games being Street Fighter 2 with M Bison on the cartridge doing his Double Knee Press. The countless matches against my brother is something I truly cherish and set the motion of gaming in my life. What a time to be alive. 

From ages 3 - 6 or 7 it was the NES. I still remember my first 3 games as being The Legend of Zelda, Super Mario Bros., and Silent Service. (the last of which I've never met anyone else that played it.) Also had a Sega Genesis around the same time but I don't remember playing it as much.

When I was around 7 or 8 it was the PlayStation and N64. Loved both of these systems. 

Then around 10 or 11 we got a PS2 and I played that until I was 21 when I got a PS3 in 2012 lmfao.

NES

Nintendo 64

Nintendo Gamecube

Sega Genesis/Mega Drive

Playstation 2

Windows 3.1 - Windows XP

I never owned a Super Nintendo, always had to play it at a relatives house and at my cousins house. Mostly missed out on the Playstation 1, but had a few occasions where I played it. Grew up, loved and cherished a lot of Windows games.

Edited by Spaz

Atari 2600

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii

Gameboy (Regular, Color, Advanced)

Virtual Boy...lmao

Sega Genesis, Dreamcast

PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4

PC

I loved all the systems but lots of fun on my SNES (Donkey Kong Country 2) and N64 (GoldenEye, Mario Kart 64, Ocarina of Time, and Super Mario 64)

Love gaming, since I was a kid and till the day I die.

Edited by Chocolate GiddyUp

4 minutes ago, Chocolate GiddyUp said:

Atari 2600

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii

Gameboy (Regular, Color, Advanced)

Virtual Boy, lmao

Sega Genesis, Dreamcast

PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4

PC

I loved all the systems but lots of fun on my SNES (Donkey Kong Country 2) and N64 (GoldenEye, Mario Kart 64, Ocarina of Time, and Super Mario 64)

Love gaming, since I was a kid and till the day I die.

If you were born in the early 1970s then a number of these consoles weren't out until you were in your 20s. I generally constitute "growing up" from child birth up through high school, until you reach the age of 18.

Sega Genesis, Super Nintendo, Gameboy, Gameboy color
Nintendo 64, PS1
Nintendo Gamecube, PS2
Gameboy advance, GBA SP
Nintendo DS, DS lite
Nintendo Wii.
Had these systems during time I was either in elementary or High School
didn't get PSP, 360 or PS3 until after that.
I also did play the original between that time, but never owned or my parents had one, but not sure whatever happened to it too young to remember.

I was around 3-4 when we got a Home Pong clone.

Then Atari 2600, Enterprise 128, Commodore 64, Commodore Plus/4, Famicom clone, PlayStation, GameBoy Color and PlayStation 2.

After that I started working and bought my own consoles since.

Edited by DizzyDavidson

In the early 80s I had an Atari 2600. From that point, there was always a console in my home. NES, Genesis, SNES, Sega CD, Game Boy, Game Gear, PSX, N64, PS2, XBOX, Game Cube, PS3, XBOX 360, Wii, PS4...maybe I'm still growing up.

Growing up in the 90's, you had a choice of ether SNES or Mega Drive (Genesis). Since it was a crisis in the country, we didn't have much money, so we couldn't afford ether of them.

I begged my mom for over a year to get me a gaming console (it was 1995), but she always said "no". Then one day in 1996, she returned home with a used NES she bought on the flea market & I was overjoyed that I finally have a console. I played that NES for over 5 years, until I got PSone in 2001, then came PS2 in 2002 & finally PS3 in 2014.

• Like 1

A good NES console at my 6 years of existance. I renember  my dad bringing it as a Christmas present incluiding the zapper and the cartridges of both Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt and Super Mario Bros 3. Later i borrowed some gooddies like Contra, Castlevania and Super Mario Bros 2. Sadly, my parents didn't want to buy me a Super NES console so i waited till the N64 when i was 13 years old. Got it with The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and Mario  N64. Later i got hooked with games like Banjo-Kazooie and Mortal Kombat 4. Lastly, at my 17th birthday, the got me a Game Cube console. Also i had a Wii and a DS. I actualy keep a GBA, a 3DS, a PS3 and a PS4.                                                                                                                                                                                 

Sega Game Gear

Nintendo 64

Gameboy

Gamecube

Gameboy Advance

PS2

Nintendo DS

Nintendo Wii

These are the consoles I had from when I was four until I graduated high school. Out of these my favorite was probably the DS. I remember putting more than 900 hours into Pokèmon Platinum just making teams and putting them against the opponents in the Battle Frontier.

Commodore 64 I think. It was just picked up by my parents on a whim at a bootmarket with a suitcase of games and I loved it. We then had the Atari before I got my own console, a NES, in my bedroom.

Had most Nintendo, Sega, Microsoft and Sony consoles since, along with my brothers, including the handhelds. Skipped the Wii's and the Xbox One is all though, there's just no games I need it for and I don't have as much time to play as I used to.

Edited by thefourfoldroot

I, like many around my age, have the memory of my parents one day presenting me with the NES complete with Mario and Duck Hunt. Next it was Sega Genesis for Christmas several years later. Since then, I have owned or emulated every system besides an Xbox(never) or Switch (maybe one day). I've had the AA battery drinking Game Gear and Gameboy, the overpowered yet underwhelming Dreamcast, an N64 and gamecube for Super smash and Mario kart evolutions. Eventually FF7 and Star Ocean locked me into PlayStation consoles and trophies ended the decision once and for all. 

My first "console" of sorts(more like a PC) was ZX Spectrum clone called Cip (or HC 85 , it had many names ,still confused about that name). It was my first interaction with videogames . I had the videogames on cassettes and the casette player was connected to this with lots of cables and a transformer. Here is how the device looked like (thank you google)

PCip03-1.jpg

The other proper console was a NES , or rather a clone of it called Terminator 2( Eastern Europe in the '90s , can't expect much xD ). That's where I started playing classics like Mario, Contra, Duck Hunt, that weirdass zoo game with lions jumping through fire circles and so on...

Since it was a "good" bootleg console, it broke constantly, greatly improving my skills at electronics by fixing the damn thing. Again, thank you google for providing me with the weirdest images.

Terminator2game-630x325.jpg

Of course after that it was a PC, then PS3 and PS4. But those 2 are the beginnings of videogames for me :D .

SNES (when I was 4 or 5 I think), with one my all-time favorites Yoshi's Island. God I loved that game. 

Then there was Battletoads 2, which kicked my young ass hard. I've never managed to get pass the Hoverboard level, but once. Immedietely died at that next level though. :D 

Of course some Mario games, F-Zero, Pilotwings, Secret of Evermoore, The Firemen, (what a great game, even played it CO-OP with my mum, great times :D)

Then we (my brother and I) got both a PS1, but with cracked games. We had like 50 or more games instantly. Weirdly, I've never had a memory card, so I always had to replay all my games from scratch. At some point I finally got one.

The PS2 was my first console I bought with my own money when I was like 10 or 11.

Not a proper game console, but my family bought me an Amiga 600 when I was 6 (my forum avatar depicts the starting screen of that system). My love for gaming started right there as I experience great games such as Street Fighter 2, Indiana Jones, Lemmings, Superfrog, Pong, Price of Persia, Stunt Car Racer and many others, just too many to counts.

We had an Atari 2600.  Used to live playing pole position and pitfall.   The first console that was truly mine and not for all us kids was a Sega genesis shortly after they started selling it with Sonic the Hedgehog instead of Altered Beast.

13 minutes ago, Mori said:

SNES (when I was 4 or 5 I think), with one my all-time favorites Yoshi's Island. God I loved that game. 

Then there was Battletoads 2, which kicked my young ass hard. I've never managed to get pass the Hoverboard level, but once. Immedietely died at that next level though. :D 

Of course some Mario games, F-Zero, Pilotwings, Secret of Evermoore, The Firemen, (what a great game, even played it CO-OP with my mum, great times :D)

Then we (my brother and I) got both a PS1, but with cracked games. We had like 50 or more games instantly. Weirdly, I've never had a memory card, so I always had to replay all my games from scratch. At some point I finally got one.

The PS2 was my first console I bought with my own money when I was like 10 or 11.

I remember playing the original battletoads.  You are right in that it is a remarkably fun game, but so hard.  I also loved pilotwings.  I still have a copy along with our snes.