The Struggle Is Real

TrophyChief

4 hours ago, Dangisuckatgamin said:

Some people just don’t want to follow the conforming decision of having kids and giving all their money and time (which time is good, but also you need your own “me time” ) to a significant other

This is me. I don't want to deal with the stress of having kids, and that wouldn't be fair to a partner. I also don't want to split my money between another person, so I've stayed single for nearly 8 years now with some on and off flings. Being in the right mindset helps it be less lonely.

Consider talking to your significant other about finding some more time to enjoy your hobby. Maybe she can take the kids out to find something fun to do during the weekend, allowing you to have some alone time to catch up on your favorite game. It's perfectly normal to need alone time, even if you're an extrovert. Although that's easier said that done, it's an idea :)

• Like 1

Guess I'm just fortunate to have the time to play video games that I do. I'm 45 with a wife and 12 year old daughter, a full time job, but no real interests outside of gaming that I sink very much time into. My wife understands that playing games is my escape from the world and one that I need to keep any semblance of sanity.

I've been a gamer since the Atari days, but more so as I've gotten older and more apt to being a homebody than feeling like I need to be actively engaged with anything or anyone outside of my inner circle of friends or family. Finding the time for playing games isn't much of a problem for me, and I'm good with that.

I found myself gaming a lot more in my 30’s than in my 20’s as starting a family, I find myself at home a lot more. In my 20’s, I was going out a lot and very active, I did not really game.  

Lot of time to game with the kids asleep and no longer a need/interest in the bar scene.

I am 26, a medical doctor for the past 2 years working full time about 50 hours a week to include weekends, nights and out of hours. I live alone in the UK but have a bf who likes gaming as well but we live 2 hours apart at the moment so we just see each other on weekends. 

I am not too far off in that as I grew older I've come to spend less and less time on gaming. I used to game for hours on end as a child both at home and in my parents car on long journeys, which decreased in high school and then again in uni due to studying for exams, but was still gaming for about 2 hours every day and 5 hours on days off in uni and summer holidays. I also did not drive at the time and used public transport, so I gamed on my DS and vita on commutes 

After I graduated medical school and became a doctor, got a driving licence and starting working 50+ hours a week, I can only manage an hour a day on normal 8am to 5pm shifts, and don't game at all on 12-13 hour shifts or night shifts as Im too exhausted. So now platinum trophies for even just VNs take weeks for me. I like to spend my weekends as much time as possible with my bf as we don't get to see each other in the week due to distance, so those 5 hour weekend marathons are no longer a thing for me like when I was single and spent most of my time outside work alone.  

In the future Id love to get married, I'm not too bothered with kids whether I have them or not. 

• Like 1

On 5/26/2019 at 10:59 AM, Sofa King said:

Guess I'm just fortunate to have the time to play video games that I do. I'm 45 with a wife and 12 year old daughter, a full time job, but no real interests outside of gaming that I sink very much time into. My wife understands that playing games is my escape from the world and one that I need to keep any semblance of sanity.

I've been a gamer since the Atari days, but more so as I've gotten older and more apt to being a homebody than feeling like I need to be actively engaged with anything or anyone outside of my inner circle of friends or family. Finding the time for playing games isn't much of a problem for me, and I'm good with that.

You’re older than most on here. A lot of guys I know around your age have long since quit gaming because they didn’t have the time to accommodate for gaming. What with having a wife and children, working 5 - 6 days a week and just trying to keep up with rising bill costs. 

I'm usually busy with work, busy watching shows with the wife or sometimes just not in a good mood to play games for weeks on end. I've never been a so called "trophy hunter". I've just played games that I enjoy and if I see a trophy I think I can achieve, I go for it. I haven't picked up a controller for more than 10-15 minutes since like March I believe. I'm a young guy too(26) I just haven't been in a good mood to play games lately. Depression sucks lol.

On 5/25/2019 at 10:03 PM, JiII-Valentine-- said:

Oh! You have such a perfect life, don't you?

giphy.gif

Thanks all for your personal testimonies, ideas, and general comments. I will continue to seek creative ways to find time for a passion I so thoroughly enjoy. Game on brothers and sisters!

• Like 2