Retail Disc Question, Since Removal from Store.

BTHRZeroX

Ok so I just saw this question and PST and thought it raised a good question. Has anyone bought the retail disc and tried to download the episodes after this has been removed from the store?

and I mean new players not people who have done so before? did it give access to all episodes?

Most likely it won't work, as technically it's still a digital game that you get. The disc version of most Telltale games (at least for the Batman, Guardians of the Galaxy and Walking Dead series) never gave direct access to begin with. It would unlock the respective content in the store, but you still had to access each individual episode on the store to download it. If that content isn't there anymore, then there's nothing it can try to gain access to.

Edited by voodoo_eyes

Just now, Dreakon13 said:

Generally speaking, items de-listed from the store for licensing reasons will stop you from being able to purchase it... but you should be able to re-download if you've already purchased it (ie. from your "Download List").  The content is still there, just the purchase button is gone.

I'm not sure exactly how Telltale's season pass discs will work, I don't think there's really a precedent set for those.  I'd feel pretty confident betting that it'll work fine though.

Agree, having the disc gives you rights as owning the content.  Downloading the episodes should be no different than re-downloading other content that was pulled from the store.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

Generally speaking, items de-listed from the store for licensing reasons will stop you from being able to purchase it... but you should be able to re-download if you've already purchased it (ie. from your "Download List").  The content is still there, just the purchase button and/or store page is gone.

I'm not sure exactly how Telltale's season pass discs will work, I don't think there's really a precedent set for those.  I'd feel pretty confident betting that it'll work fine though.

Yeah, if you already had it before it got delisted, then you should be able to re-download it (still would need the disc though in this particular case, as it's the key to the content). Trying to use the disc for the first time after the content has been delisted from the store however, will most likely result in what I said in my previous post. Once the content is delisted it does not show up on the store anymore and only shows up in the download list, if it had been downloaded at a prior time.

Edited by voodoo_eyes

11 minutes ago, djb5f said:

You will be seen as a rights owner with the disc in, so you should be able to access the same page you would if you previously bought/downloaded the content before it was delisted.

As previously clarified, if you owned it before it getting delisted then that should be the case yes (delisted games do not keep their page on the store though, so it would be exclusively through the donload list, as it's the case with every other delisted game so far).

My first post was in response to the OP, who specifically asked how it would be for anyone who hadn't used the disc to aquire the content prior to it being delisted.

Edited by voodoo_eyes

3 minutes ago, voodoo_eyes said:

As previously clarified, if you owned it before it getting delisted then that should be the case yes (delisted games do not keep their page on the store though, so it would be exclusively through the donload list, as it's the case with every other delisted game so far).

My first post was in response to the OP, who specifically asked how it would be for anyone who hadn't used the disc to aquire the content prior to it being delisted.

It doesn’t matter if you had the disc before or after delisting.  You are seen as the rights owner and no different than if you previously purchased said content.

There is always a chance there is a technical snafu where you can’t download the content you own but it is 99% likely to work.

Having the disc = the same as having bought the content (whether you downloaded before is immaterial).  You will be taken to the same page to download (as a rights owner).

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, voodoo_eyes said:

Since they have no means to know when you obtained the disc... I feel like whether it's before or after the delisting doesn't really matter.  As long as you have the disc, you have the key to access the content.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Dreakon13 said:

Since they have no means to know when you obtained the disc... I feel like whether it's before or after the delisting doesn't really matter, as long as you have the disc, you have the key to access the content.

Yes, of course.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, djb5f said:

It doesn’t matter if you had the disc before or after delisting.  You are seen as the rights owner and no different than if you previously purchased said content.

There is always a chance there is a technical snafu where you can’t download the content you own but it is 99% likely to work.

Having the disc = the same as having bought the content (whether you downloaded before is immaterial).  You will be taken to the same page to download (as a rights owner).

The issue with this particular case is, that the disc needs to access the pages on the store to unlock the content. Those tend to be gone, so how would the disc access the content?

That's a potential issue in which I don't see being rights owner having any influence on.

See this is the kind of debate and information I was looking for.

2 hours ago, Cryogenicide_X said:

I can't speak on behalf of the normal Minecraft Story Mode but with the Minecraft Story Mode Complete Edition, every episode is already on the disc, I actually got the platinum the other week. 

Good to know about the Complete Edition. Thank you for that.

But yes I know with other removed content it is still on the servers for download, Like X-Men Arcade Game. I own it and can download it any time but its not on the store.

And I was wonder if like others have stated if the disc links to direct download rather then store front. Like how Life is Strange does.

These kinds of things are odd to me and its why I thought I would bring the question here after seeing it on another site.

When did it get delisted? I bought the PS3 version about 2 months ago and it worked fine for me. I'm also about to play the Game of Thrones Telltale game from the disc so if that works mincraft should still work as well. I'll update you when I find out

Update: I just used the disc to start the download for the episodes of GOT that weren't on the disc, so you should be fine. This is the PS3 version but I don't see why the PS4 version would be any different

Edited by silver_pigy
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, silver_pigy said:

When did it get delisted? I bought the PS3 version about 2 months ago and it worked fine for me. I'm also about to play the Game of Thrones Telltale game from the disc so if that works mincraft should still work as well. I'll update you when I find out

Update: I just used the disc to start the download for the episodes of GOT that weren't on the disc, so you should be fine. This is the PS3 version but I don't see why the PS4 version would be any different

That is good to know! Because GOT Episode 1 was removed and so was its Season Pass. So the Disc does indeed give you full access to the content.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, BTHRZeroX said:

That is good to know! Because GOT Episode 1 was removed and so was its Season Pass. So the Disc does indeed give you full access to the content.

Yup that is correct! All episodes I downloaded are listed as unavailable on the PSN store so as long as you use the physical disc you'll be able to download and play the Telltale games without any problems.

• Like 3

Just now, silver_pigy said:

Yup that is correct! All episodes I downloaded are listed as unavailable on the PSN store so as long as you use the physical disc you'll be able to download and play the Telltale games without any problems.

Awesome! Thank you for being the Guinea-pigy :3

• Like 2

This was exactly the topic I was looking for. Thank you for the helpful information!! Already downloaded my remaining telltale games on my ps4 to be safe but I didnt have room on my ps3. Happy to hear that I wont have to worry about it. Cheers!

On 5/24/2019 at 4:40 PM, voodoo_eyes said:

The issue with this particular case is, that the disc needs to access the pages on the store to unlock the content. Those tend to be gone, so how would the disc access the content?

That's a potential issue in which I don't see being rights owner having any influence on.

Been a while since I actually tried it, but if I recall the page isn't actually gone, just excluded from the store's search engine. You should still be able to manually type in the URL, but of course the add to cart button will be gone.