Briste's Diary of a Madman

Briste

Fun read!

And hail the Napster era! :D 

Regarding your games, id pick Bloodborne from your backlog to do, and Diablo 3 from your purchased pile. I rate those 2 very highly. The PS4 version of D3 is amazing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cissa90 said:

Fun read!

And hail the Napster era! :D 

Regarding your games, id pick Bloodborne from your backlog to do, and Diablo 3 from your purchased pile. I rate those 2 very highly. The PS4 version of D3 is amazing.

Thanks! The Napster era really was a great time to be alive and have internet :) Bloodborne is definitely one of the ones I will be playing from that list. I like to group series games together, hence all the God of Wars together and all those Final Fantasy games. After I finish up my Kingdom Hearts series binge, I plan on doing the Souls series after. I will play a few stand-a-lone titles in between, but if I'm lucky (or good?) I'll be able to finish that game up by the end of the year.

1 hour ago, Rally-Vincent--- said:

Good luck with Space Hulk. There is only war is a shit trophy if I ever saw one. Hope you manage.

lol thanks. It was actually you that made me realize that I was probably resetting the god damned counter every time I saved and restarted...it's comforting to know that you were able to get it so I still have hope. If it works using your idea...I feel like I'll owe you something!

36 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

I'm glad you decided to make one of these. It'll be interesting to see some of your thoughts on these games!

My favorite thing about your profile will always be your 69th platinum. 1f602.png

Thanks! It has been long overdue...I still like your thread for the conversation though, but I'll probably stop talking about what I'm playing at the moment and keep that for over here. I'm glad you appreciate the effort I made to ensure Catherine was #69 ? I had two other games waiting to pop lol

Back to the Riku grindstone! Why did they have to make the xp disappear in this game if you don't pick it up right away :shakefist:

Good Luck! Finished KH recently (only 3 missing because i dont own it). You should go for Mass Effect. I had such a blast with this series :) 

will try to follow your Thread because i really take a like on reading @Cassylvania Thoughts. If i think i can add some of my experience in your games, you will read about it :P 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jens said:

You forgot Catherine: Full Body in the list of games for your future.

I'm not sure I'm quite masochistic enough to go back for a second helping lol maybe some day, but I'm not sure I liked the story enough to go through it all over again.

13 hours ago, Inuty said:

Good Luck! Finished KH recently (only 3 missing because i dont own it). You should go for Mass Effect. I had such a blast with this series :) 

Thanks! It's funny you mention that because I'm really on the fence about which series to tackle next...I almost did the Uncharted series instead of the KH series...but the KH series matched up better with some of the events I was doing so I went that route instead. I've been saying that the Souls series is my next series for a solid year now so I feel like I have to tackle that next...but my best friend from high school is the one that told me about Mass Effect and why I bought that series...so I feel like out of respect for him I should play that soon. No matter which route I take...I feel they are all awesome series and I'm in for a good time :)

So with that...

Platinum #84

0p92s9a.png

Kingdom Hearts Re:Chain of Memories

So fun fact about me...I don't do a ton of research into a game before I play it. I'll look at the trophy list to see if there are any unobtainables or anything and maybe check a Metacritic rating...but I don't watch Youtube videos or anything. With regards to CoM, I had heard that the battles used cards so I was expecting a turn based card game when it came to the battle system. I enjoy that concept and was kind of looking forward to this game since I hadn't played anything like that since I played a Magic the Gathering game on the PC about 20 years ago. I was very disappointed when I saw that the battles were action with a weird card system. I absolutely hated it out of the gate. Because you don't have a ton of cards to start and no good sleights, and I read that you should only really use sleights...there were several battles where I had only one card left. I spent 25 minutes fighting one Fat Bandit in Agrabah before I could kill it. I had one attack card that was a 4 and it took forever for me to be able to get behind it AND attack without the attack being blocked or broken. I didn't run because there's a trophy for not running, and I didn't restart because it had been over an hour since I had saved and I didn't want to lose that progress. I thought I was going to really hate this game after that. Much to my surprise, I ended up enjoying the game. Once I got enough cards and CP where that Fat Bandit situation couldn't happen again and I started unlocking sleights, I found myself really enjoying the battle system.

I found the game itself to be relatively easy. Some of the sleights are stupidly overpowered and most of the boss fights, the enemy never even got an attack in. While the story was somewhat of a rehash of the first game, it was interesting enough to keep me involved. I will say that I'm already sick of every cut-scene or dialogue box referring to their 'hearts'. I mean, I get the game is called Kingdom Hearts, but every thing that is said talks about the strength of their hearts or the memories in their hearts...it got a little tired for me. Playing as Riku was a fun addition I thought, however they kind of mailed in his story a bit. The maps are half the size and there is very little dialogue. While I enjoyed playing as Riku more, I found finishing him off to be more of a chore. I beat the game at level 51 and needed to farm 48 levels afterwards for the Level Master Riku trophy. Farming xp was much easier as Sora since the maps were larger and you didn't need to leave the zone to reset the maps nearly as often. I know you can run from a fight with only one monster left and keep fighting the same mob over and over again....but I found that require too much attention. I wanted to farm the xp while watching movies and I needed to pay too much attention for that.

Things I didn't like: Xp disappearing if you didn't get it fast enough. I also didn't like that with some of Sora's sleights where you throw the weapon, it wouldn't go any higher if it was a flying enemy. You could target the flying enemy, and throw your sword and it would just sail underneath them. It wasn't game breaking or anything, but just a nuisance.

Overall the trophy list isn't terrible. I was relatively lucky farming the Enemy cards with only the Black Mushroom and the Large Body taking me a few hours each. The rest I got within 30 minutes or so. The level 99 ones suck only because they require so much additional farming after you've completed the game to achieve. While it's not a game I feel like I ever need to play again, I did end up having fun with it and am looking forward now to the next playable game in the series.

Edited by Briste
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Briste said:

Thanks! It's funny you mention that because I'm really on the fence about which series to tackle next...I almost did the Uncharted series instead of the KH series...but the KH series matched up better with some of the events I was doing so I went that route instead. I've been saying that the Souls series is my next series for a solid year now so I feel like I have to tackle that next...but my best friend from high school is the one that told me about Mass Effect and why I bought that series...so I feel like out of respect for him I should play that soon. No matter which route I take...I feel they are all awesome series and I'm in for a good time :)

You should tackle this series sooner then later because ME3 has some MP trophies in it. I was not forced to do it because there were also some Apps you Can use via your Internet Explorer if connected to a EA account.. But I´m not sure how Long this will be up and it was a big Research first how to use it correctly. If I´m informed correctly it should be still up but there is always the possibility that they will shut down this Service for good without the Support on PS3 from Sony anymore.  

• Like 1

On 5/27/2019 at 2:38 AM, Inuty said:

You should tackle this series sooner then later because ME3 has some MP trophies in it. I was not forced to do it because there were also some Apps you Can use via your Internet Explorer if connected to a EA account.. But I´m not sure how Long this will be up and it was a big Research first how to use it correctly. If I´m informed correctly it should be still up but there is always the possibility that they will shut down this Service for good without the Support on PS3 from Sony anymore.  

20 hours ago, Rally-Vincent--- said:

The Mass Effect Trilogy is really good, one of my favorite series. I platted all three with femShep, and right after after that I watched a let's play of all three games from my favorite youtuber (he played with male Shepard), that's how much I like the games.

Well between these recommendations, and the fact I saw my friend who originally turned me onto the series yesterday and he was giving me shit about not playing them yet...I'm just about convinced to do the Mass Effect Trilogy next. I would be really bummed if I put it off so long that some of the trophies become unobtainable.

I watched the Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days movie/game over the weekend and it was pretty interesting. I'm impressed that none of them gained any weight considering all the ice cream that they ate. I was initially super confused on what the hell was going on and was getting mad at myself that I wasn't paying close enough attention and missed something...because nothing was making any sense. However...in the last 15 minutes or so, they pretty much spell out for you what happened and I realized it was intentionally confusing and convoluted. I'll be curious to see how this backstory impacts my understanding of KH2.

I was a little nervous that the game was glitched since none of the trophies were popping as I was watching. I was expecting the trophies to pop as I passed certain areas of the story, however none of them popped until they all did after the credits rolled. Thankfully the journal entries weren't crazy long to read. I generally try to read all of that stuff as I'm playing, but some games add like an entire books worth of reading into the extra content. Horizon Zero Dawn was a game like that, but I enjoyed it so much, I still read almost everything.

I'll kick off my Kingdom Hearts II playthrough tonight. I'm going to attempt to do everything on Critical mode off the start, but if I find myself getting frustrated, I'll just do a trophy cleanup on easy after I beat the game the first time. With no trophies for not using a continue...I feel like I should be able to do this just fine.

7 hours ago, Briste said:

I was a little nervous that the game was glitched since none of the trophies were popping as I was watching. I was expecting the trophies to pop as I passed certain areas of the story, however none of them popped until they all did after the credits rolled.

Did you get them to pop with the PS4 version of the game? Mine never did, but I figured that was just because I wasn't playing on PS3.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

Did you get them to pop with the PS4 version of the game? Mine never did, but I figured that was just because I wasn't playing on PS3.

No. I don't think they have a trophy list on the PS4 version. A coworker of mine had the PS3 remix version of the games and I borrowed his to get the trophies (and to show the whole series on my profile). For the PS4 version, I let the story unfold overnight and spammed through the journal entries so that the cards would be available in CoM. When I did the PS3 version, I watched the whole thing and read all of the chapters. I'm going to be doing the same thing for Re:Coded.

Edited by Briste
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Briste said:

Well between these recommendations, and the fact I saw my friend who originally turned me onto the series yesterday and he was giving me shit about not playing them yet...I'm just about convinced to do the Mass Effect Trilogy next. I would be really bummed if I put it off so long that some of the trophies become unobtainable.

To make Things worst, only ME3 has only trophies :D So you Need to finish the first two games before going for ME3 :) 

Btw. there was a big shit storm regarding ME Andromeda for the PS4 but I still had a good time with the game. I guess everything crucial was patched and I had no Problems with the game. I Can recommend that as well and you don´t Need any Knowledge about the previous games.

• Like 1

So I learned a few things over the weekend...I hadn't been trying Super Meat Boy on my PS4 because I couldn't download my cross-save from the cloud. I downloaded the game again and opened it on the PS4, just to try the controls and see how different it was from the Vita...and wouldn't you know it but my progress was there already...I had assumed that I needed to download my save from the cloud in order to play on different systems...I had never even attempted to open the game on the PS4 for fear that a new game would overwrite my Vita progress. 

What I learned is that I SUCK playing SMB on my PS4 compared to my Vita. I don't know why, but it feels more fluid on the Vita than the PS4. I played for about 20 minutes and stopped since I wasn't in the mood to play SMB, but it was nice to know I could if Space Hulk ends up taking the rest of my life. Speaking of which, I'm up to 14,000-ish kills according to the calculator on my phone without saving/closing the game. The lag is atrocious, but I'm chipping away...1/3 of the way there!

I also learned how to install a power source into my PC. Mine died and I ordered a new one. According to the intarwebs...installing a power source is easy so I decided to do it myself. It took me longer than I would have thought since they give you way too much slack with the wires/cords and I had to Tetris them into different areas. When I was done, it wouldn't turn on at first so I figured I failed...I ended up going to Geek Squad at Best Buy for a free consultation to see if they could tell me what I was doing wrong...if your guess was that I didn't turn on the power supply before turning on the PC from the front...you would be correct! I felt like a dumb-shit, but I took a little satisfaction knowing that I did it right :) 

Not a ton of progress in Kingdom Hearts 2...I just arrived at the Coliseum. I really like the changes to the battle system so far. It seems much smoother and you are pretty badass with the Drive system. I only have Valor so far, but I'm moving along. I'm trying to get this completed by the end of the month for the Monthly Madness Event, but the trophy guide says 90 hours, so we'll see. Hopefully, by doing everything on Critical, I can eliminate a playthrough and 20-30 hours. I've been surprised how strong some of the regular enemies have been, but I've only died a handful of times so I think it's doable in one playthrough.

I started Ark Park as well at my kids request. We didn't get too far because he wanted to stop and look at the dinosaurs in the first room for quite a while. One of the biggest complaints about the game that I read was that you needed to teleport to move around and it killed the flow. They must have patched it because I could teleport or walk. I got pretty comfortable with the controls, so we'll see how it is going forward. I will say that I was more impressed with the graphics in Batman: Arkham VR, but in all fairness...I haven't made it out of the lobby yet.

Edited by Briste
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Briste said:

Not a ton of progress in Kingdom Hearts 2...I just arrived at the Coliseum. I really like the changes to the battle system so far. It seems much smoother and you are pretty badass with the Drive system. I only have Valor so far, but I'm moving along. I'm trying to get this completed by the end of the month for the Monthly Madness Event, but the trophy guide says 90 hours, so we'll see. Hopefully, by doing everything on Critical, I can eliminate a playthrough and 20-30 hours. I've been surprised how strong some of the regular enemies have been, but I've only died a handful of times so I think it's doable in one playthrough.

I wish you the best of luck .. I had on beginner a lot of Trouble with a lot of the optional bosses of the organization data battles. I don´t want to know how hard they are on critical :(  But maybe I just sucked on KH2 :D 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Inuty said:

I wish you the best of luck .. I had on beginner a lot of Trouble with a lot of the optional bosses of the organization data battles. I don´t want to know how hard they are on critical :(  But maybe I just sucked on KH2 :D 

Thanks! I'm sure I will have some trouble too. I've read you don't get nearly the same amount of HP on Critical. I played for a few hours last night and got through the Timeless River Episode (that was a really cool area btw) and I got a little concerned about whether or not I can do it without pulling my hair out. I find the bosses on this difficulty level not to be too bad. I've only died once or twice to a boss and most of them I've killed on my first try. I've died a lot though so far to regular enemies. It seems like one or two hits and you're dead. The Coliseum was a bit of a challenge to get through...those Large Bodies and Ghosts were annoying. I'd be fighting one and then just die, and it was because I got hit by a stray fire ball or the Large Body was zooming back and forth. I'm sure the optional bosses will test my patience...but I'm going to give it a try. They really did a good job with this game...everything is improved from the previous installments in the series.

• 3 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Inuty said:

Congrats! Let the BBS grind begin ;)

I'm thinking this game must be quite good if it is many peoples favorite despite the grind involved. I don't mind grind-y games that much so I should be alright. I'm debating whether or not to do one critical playthrough like I did for KH2 or to do the recommended two. I didn't have much trouble with KH2 so I'm tempted to just start on Critical and see where it leads me...but if I can shave some time off that 150 estimated hours...it'll free me up to tackle some more games in the new Gaming By Numbers event.

6 minutes ago, Rally-Vincent--- said:

Briste, you have a milestone coming up, do you plan them?

I didn't used to since I had earned several of them before I realized they were there, but I have been since Plat 50. Despite my lack of planning, I'm actually pretty happy with the ones there. If they ever do what @Cassylvania has been begging for with the milestones, I would like them even better. XCom 2 is my 25th Plat and I'd much prefer that one showing than the 20, 30 and 40. 

The KH trophies are all decent to look at visually, however it's looking like it'll be Dream Drop Distance will be up when I hit 4000. A quick look at them, I don't see anything I love. I would like to make A Man of Action a milestone and I see Spec Ops: The Line is on sale right now...so it's possible I make that 4000. I was hoping for a Sephiroth one originally, but I don't see any other Sephiroth trophies in the series. Birth By Sleep will take me a while so I have some time to decide.

Do you plan yours?

• Like 1

I do since Trophy #2.500, that's shortly after I signed up here. Back then, I knew I'd get two XCOM 2 trophies at the same time - exquisite timing and The Untouchables. I didn't know which one would register first, but both were a good milestone, so it didn't matter that I - uh - thought it would be Exquisite Timing.

Like you, I am quite satisfied with my unplanned milestones before that. XCOM :EU as 10th Plat is very neat, Disgaea D2 as #1.500, and I even like #500 for the sound of it: Chop chop. The only milestone I dislike is the l33t trophy, for it being the l33t trophy and for being RE 6, which sucked so much that I didn't even bother to Plat it.

I just had #4.500 for Etna from Disgaea 1 complete, and that game was a contender for the 100th Plat (estimated in about a year's time) if Cyberpunk 2077 should not be the game we all expect, but since E3, FF VIII is the back-up plan.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Briste said:

I'm thinking this game must be quite good if it is many peoples favorite despite the grind involved. I don't mind grind-y games that much so I should be alright. I'm debating whether or not to do one critical playthrough like I did for KH2 or to do the recommended two. I didn't have much trouble with KH2 so I'm tempted to just start on Critical and see where it leads me...but if I can shave some time off that 150 estimated hours...it'll free me up to tackle some more games in the new Gaming By Numbers event.

I did it on critical from the start so you should be Good to go in my opinion ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Briste said:

If they ever do what @Cassylvania has been begging for with the milestones, I would like them even better. XCom 2 is my 25th Plat and I'd much prefer that one showing than the 20, 30 and 40.

I love my 25th plat. When I made this account, that platinum only became a milestone when you reached 50 platinums (until then, it was just multiples of 10), so it really incentivized me to reach that point. I was mortified to see that was changed. If I had known platinum #40 would always be considered a milestone, I would've gotten something better...especially since I platinumed Shantae a day later.

I don't even understand milestones now. I just reached 7500, which I thought was a milestone, but I guess multiples of 500 stop counting after a certain point. I think once I reach 10k, I won't see another milestone until 15k, which is...really dumb. That's like three years of my life.

What they should have done is created a milestone system that spaces out trophies evenly, such as every 1000 trophies and every 25 platinums, so that (a) it looks better, and (b) players aren't being punished for having an older account. The way it is, though, the majority of your milestones will always be early in your gaming career (likely before you even started caring about trophies). It's a really odd design choice, and an unfortunate thing to have on a site that is otherwise really well-maintained.

I don't see them ever changing it, though. I'd rather just have the option to turn off milestones now, because they look jank.

Congrats on the KH2 plat! ?

Edited by Cassylvania
  • Like 1