Briste's Diary of a Madman

Briste

I think they didnt explain it but for me it was just a vampire thing and i was cool with it :D

Btw. Shame on you playing Mass Effect just now and not earlier. I know we had conversations were you wanted to start the game over a Year ago. I thought you will wait until the romoured remaster will come :P

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Briste said:

I had heard that the first one in the series was by far the worst, which has me excited for what's to come since this game is pretty good considering how old it is. I'm hoping to be able to play a lot over next week. I'm having my tonsils removed on Friday (apparently I'm entering the 2nd grade) and will have several days off of work to recover by eating ice cream and playing video games. I've heard getting your tonsils out as and adult kind of sucks, so we'll see what I'm actually in the mood to do...but it'll be the first time in quite a while I'll have some day time freedom to play.

I liked the first ME game best, because it's the world building game. Best of luck for your tonsil thing.

Edited by Rally-Vincent---
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Inuty said:

I think they didnt explain it but for me it was just a vampire thing and i was cool with it :D

It took me a little bit to get that was what was happening. At first I thought the sound and the effect was just to let you know you were asking a question that had been a locked clue...it wasn't until you start being super aggressive towards some of the people you're talking to that it dawned on me that it was some sort of mesmerize ability. I was also cool with it once I figured out what was happening...but for a while I was like, this is super easy for him to get this kind of information out of these people.

19 hours ago, Inuty said:

Shame on you playing Mass Effect just now and not earlier.

lol it was the shame that caused me to start. Things kept coming up that was delaying the start. I would have started a while ago if I didn't have this thing about them being done in order on my profile...but it's hard to finish events with four long games like that listed...especially if I can't pigeonhole it into a category. I'm going to take the winter off I think from events (unless something very low stress pops up) to just get some longer 'housekeeping' stuff done. Once I finish the ME series and the profile clean up....I'd like to finally tackle the entire souls series as well. We'll see how that goes lol

18 hours ago, Rally-Vincent--- said:

I liked the first ME game best, because it's the world building game. Best of luck for your tonsil thing.

I've really enjoyed it so far. I've had some frustrating deaths that have caused me redo more than I'd like....check points aren't very forgiving in some areas and I'm not terribly good about saving frequently. My only real complain so far is how ridiculously quick you have to be with the QTE's for unlocking the encrypted lockers and stuff. I swear you have less than half a second do act. I have like a 30% success rate so far. The ones required for story progression are much more forgiving thankfully...but outside of that I've really enjoyed it so far. We'll see if I'm singing the same tune after my third time through the game.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/22/2020 at 3:13 PM, Rally-Vincent--- said:

You forgot the most important information - femShep or maleShep? And You won't be disappointed by ME2, I think.

lol maleShep. I did femShep with one of the cleanup runs for the biotic abilities, but I was the dude. I'm looking forward to see the continuation for sure.

On 11/22/2020 at 3:29 PM, Tesla_Rules said:

Just reading your bio and the games that you have completed blows me away.  You've inspired me to go back and play my games (I must have close to 200 games that aren't loaded on my backlog) instead of wasting my time driving around with friends in GTAV!  Enjoy reading your thoughts and takeaways from the games you've completed!  Keep it up and congrats on all of your accomplishments!

Thanks! Good luck getting it done! It's hard sometimes to stick with some of the games that aren't as good, but I think it shows character to finish things that are tough. Did you take a break from gaming for a while? I see a pretty large gap in your profile....also congrats on getting a PS5! I struck out every time I tried to snag one. What do you think of it so far?

17 hours ago, Inuty said:

Glad you could manage to play it now. :)

lol me too doing a little bit of a palate cleanser by playing a Chess game a bit. My friend who turned me onto ME has me playing Chess online with him and this one is pretty fun too.

• Like 1

On 23.11.2020 at 9:12 AM, Inuty said:

Glad you could manage to play it now. :)

You're only glad because he's one step closer to Yakuza now, and we both know it! :P

But back to the boss of this thread: Is that "I play complete series, back to back and in order!" something that's getting a bit cumbersome for you by now or are you still into it 100%? You seem to be going strong so far while not avoiding bigger series, but it almost makes me think that it starts feeling like work, just gaming-style.

Edited by Jens
  • Like 2

On 11/27/2020 at 8:11 AM, Jens said:

But back to the boss of this thread: Is that "I play complete series, back to back and in order!" something that's getting a bit cumbersome for you by now or are you still into it 100%? You seem to be going strong so far while not avoiding bigger series, but it almost makes me think that it starts feeling like work, just gaming-style.

Not exactly...it's easy enough to delay a platinum until I get the one to pop I want. For example, I started Leisure Suit Larry towards the end of my KH run. I have a few active games now that I'll wait to pop. I've really enjoyed breaking up the ME run with Battle vs Chess. It's actually pretty fun and challenging. Absolutely no one is playing it though so the multiplayer trophies could be a challenge. I have a standing 'Gaming Session' in case anyone new starts to play and wants to play with me. When I pop ME Andromeda...I'll probably end up popping three or four games right after. I'm slowly working on Hollow Knight as I creep closer to my milestone, I'll have BvC ready to pop too most likely...yours and my favorite Phil as well as Gunhouse. It might be cheating a little bit since I'm 'forcing' my completion order...but it's my profile so I want it to look how I want it to look :) 

I'm pretty sure that Trophy Hunting is a mental disease that we're all just feeding anyways lol We each have our own idea of what Trophy Hunting means and our own little idiosyncratic ways to go about doing them...My current short term goal is to finish the ME series....my more longer term goal is to get my trophy percentage stat to less than 40%. It's completely arbitrary and means nothing....but it's something I'm shooting for. I'm currently around 40.5% and your boy Phil is making that a little tougher...but it's fine...I want to be in the cool kids club lol

On 11/27/2020 at 8:38 AM, Inuty said:

This was more @Cassylvania we tried to convince to play Yakuza. I guess we never tried to convince Briste, but after the time he needed to start Mass Effect we have another hard cookie to crack :P 

Jens has been making a push a bit via Discord lol It is a series I would like to play at some point....I think...but that is a mountain of games to climb. I want to finish the UC series and the Soulsbourne series first. After that, I don't have any other series in my backlog so it might be a time I try to squeeze it in....to a year. Maybe I'll make 2023 a Platinum Rain year where I don't pop any Platinums until 12/31 and I'll pop the entire series in order, and then any other game I played throughout the year on top of it. That could be an interesting challenge, but we'll see!

• Like 2

I don't know if I will ever get around to Mass Effect at this point. Played it back in the day when it came out, loved it for what it was. Then came Mass Effect 3 with it's colossal failure of an ending, so much so Bioware made an attempt to change it.

I'm tired of all the rehashes/remakes/re-releases of games that originated on PS3/PS4 that are now on PS4/PS5, but if there was one series I want to see get a proper remaster, it's the Mass Effect franchise. Definitely deserving, and long past due.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I liked Mass Effect 3. Really depends on you. Most of the gaming community just didnt get what they wanted and were really mad about it. In my opinion it is still in the hands of the developers how they want their story to end. 

I never heard about a book that Was rewritten because the Fans didnt like the end ;)

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Inuty said:

I liked Mass Effect 3. Really depends on you. Most of the gaming community just didnt get what they wanted and were really mad about it. In my opinion it is still in the hands of the developers how they want their story to end. 

I agree completely. I'm not one that ever wants an artist to change their work to something I would like. I can generally appreciate something for what it is, even if it differs from how I would have liked it to go. I've liked a lot of things that may not have been popular with the masses so I'm not terribly concerned. This is another reason why I try to stay as spoiler free as I can with these kinds of things. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Briste said:

As some of you may know, one of my idiosyncratic things about gaming is to try and beat games that are in a series in order and consecutively if I can.

Not that I am one to talk, leaving TLOU II open for a milestone myself, but... aren't those self-imposed rules a chain-and-ball on some parts of fun?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rally-Vincent--- said:

Not that I am one to talk, leaving TLOU II open for a milestone myself, but... aren't those self-imposed rules a chain-and-ball on some parts of fun?

No, not usually. I generally like to see the story continuity so playing them in close succession is good for that. Sometimes I have a hard time remembering what happened in which game since they can all blur together...but since I can delay a platinum pop as long as I like...it generally is never an issue. For example, in between ME1 and ME2 I was playing Battle vs. Chess, which I didn't anticipate liking as much as I did there either, but I have a relatively easy (I think anyways) trophy left to pop for the platinum. MLB 20 was supposed to be the same idea between ME2 and ME3. I was expecting the same kind of game as last year and was fully expecting the Silver rank to be a grind and left it for my last trophy. I was pleasantly surprised by the additions to the game and in the future I'll make sure I'll leave a more random trophy in this situation instead of one I'll have to hit if I play enough.

While I suppose the self-imposed rules could be a ball-and-chain at some point, I think it's one of those things that can make a profile more unique....not that that is my goal either...but when I check out other people's profiles...I'll try to look and see what their 'thing' is. Some people have none...some plan milestones a certain way or stack their trophy cabinet a certain way...I feel this rule of mine is one of the things that makes my profile mine.

Edited by Briste

On 1/11/2021 at 11:11 PM, Briste said:

I picked up MLB the Show 20, not expecting to like the game much. I figured it'd be fine like the prior ones I'd played, but it'd scratch my baseball itch and I'd move on. Turns out....I'm really, really enjoying the game a lot. I would like to keep playing it while I play other games, however I left my last trophy as a leveling up trophy instead of one where I have to do some arbitrary task....and I'm about 5 minutes from popping that leveling trophy.

Hahaha yooooo! You and I were in the exact same predicament with this man. I picked it up for $10 on the recent Holiday Sale expecting it to just be a distant "turn my brain off, just enjoy baseball while I play other games" and it ended up being the only game I wanted to keep playing for a week straight. Hell, I could play for hours in the evenings just listening to other shows/music due to how fun the gameplay is. You are 1000% on the money with how fun collections are - especially as someone who grew up collecting baseball cards. They really did an outstanding job making a fun sports Ultimate Team that isn't predator in the sense of forcing you to buy stubs. Sure, if you wanna pay 1-2 million stubs for some absurd 99 rated card you can, but you can easily manage a full diamond squad with borderline maxed stats without resorting to that. 

I also 100% feel your pain with self-imposed "limits". I personally try to ensure certain milestones are met (have to line up trophy points just right so it's the level up platinum icon, have 4 blues for plats before 1 green in a 100%, or as you put it - have a trilogy line up one after another). It's a pure curation of your profile for aesthetics but that's part of the fun of making it - and given how beautifully the Kingdom Hearts series looks on your profile I can't blame you for wanting to hold onto it. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, realm722 said:

Sure, if you wanna pay 1-2 million stubs for some absurd 99 rated card you can, but you can easily manage a full diamond squad with borderline maxed stats without resorting to that. 

lol glad to hear I'm not the only one! I was really happy with how quickly you could get a stacked team without paying money. I've only played like 5 online matches so far and everything I've done has been through playing the different game modes. Conquest is so quick and easy for getting tons of card packs. I usually get three or more of the 'Ballin' packs and I've gotten several diamond players through there. Plus there are several other diamond packs I've gotten as well. I was able to get Bob Gibson with a 99 rating by beating that conquest map. It's also a great way to get stubs! i haven't used the auction house much at all yet...every 50k stubs I get I've bought the 50 pack of normal cards to round out my collection of the basic players. I usually get at least one diamond player in all those packs as well.

22 hours ago, realm722 said:

I also 100% feel your pain with self-imposed "limits". I personally try to ensure certain milestones are met (have to line up trophy points just right so it's the level up platinum icon, have 4 blues for plats before 1 green in a 100%, or as you put it - have a trilogy line up one after another). It's a pure curation of your profile for aesthetics but that's part of the fun of making it - and given how beautifully the Kingdom Hearts series looks on your profile I can't blame you for wanting to hold onto it. 

I think that is part of the fun of having a profile though. For me, it's almost like having a bedroom wall as a kid again. I used to pick out posters to hang or a shelf to display different things...this kind of reminds me of that. I get to pick which trophy images to display and have a decent amount of control over what appears where. My profile is a mix of a journal of my gaming journey and a bedroom wall to put up pictures. I feel like this site and my profile is big part of the reason why I still have fun gaming. Sure it's 90% about the games....but this does add that 10% element to it. So I guess for me it's not so much a pain point since I choose to do it that way. If it ever got to be too much, I'm not so OCD that I couldn't change...but for now...this is what works :) I like your idiosyncratic thing too. I never though about the 'blues vs green' thing. I know I prefer the blue to the green and check mark....but I usually let those fall where they may lol I'll need to be on the lookout if other people do the same thing!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Glad you enjoyed it. I had also a bad time with citadel dlc final Boss on insanity. I didnt thought it would be a Problem but got destroyed :D

I played Andromeda after all the patches and i enjoyed the game. It just another Story in the univers and if you are not to salty to not see the characters you loved in the first 3 games, i would recommend to play the game. I had a good time with it and since you liked ME3 after all the bad Reputations on the ending i dont think you will have a bad time with it :)

• Like 1

As a big baseball buff I was a little amused to see those ‘Moment in History’ Diamond Dynasty bits in MLB the Show 20.

ESPN NFL 2K5 is probably one of my favorite football games of all time, the last NFL game before EA signed an exclusive rights agreement. You could briefly play NFL moments that were in historic NFL games. One had Joe Montana and Jerry Rice on the San Francisco 49ers. 

I wonder if MLB got their ‘Moment in History’ Diamond Dynasty in that.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Inuty said:

Glad you enjoyed it. I had also a bad time with citadel dlc final Boss on insanity. I didnt thought it would be a Problem but got destroyed :D

This was a rare instance where I thought all of the DLC's were actually good. Citadel was just exceptionally hard on Insanity. Even the first part where you only have a hand gun and one block of health was pretty challenging. As an Infiltrator, I tried a few times to sprint that long hallway invisible to get past the enemies, however they would see me instantly, even invisible. I ended up having to move really slowly get through. Citadel DLC was a bit more silly than the other DLC's, but it was still pretty decent. I thought the Leviathan DLC was great and even Omega was pretty good. It was all great for added depth to the story.

I forgot to mention it above, but grenades were the bane of my existence throughout lol. I'd say at least half, probably more, of my deaths were due to grenades. To get past the boss in Citadel, I had to get to cover...use a few abilities to try and take out the other guys and then sprint to the other side of the area. Rinse and repeat. It probably took me ten or twelve times before I got it.

18 hours ago, Inuty said:

I played Andromeda after all the patches and i enjoyed the game. It just another Story in the univers and if you are not to salty to not see the characters you loved in the first 3 games, i would recommend to play the game. I had a good time with it and since you liked ME3 after all the bad Reputations on the ending i dont think you will have a bad time with it :)

I'm sure I'll like it just fine...I'm more trying to decide for myself if I need to keep the Platinums consecutive or not...I probably will. I've found that I generally don't agree with the consensus on what is a good game lol

15 hours ago, Spaz said:

As a big baseball buff I was a little amused to see those ‘Moment in History’ Diamond Dynasty bits in MLB the Show 20.

Those are a lot of fun, however range greatly in difficulty. Some of them are as easy as getting one out to get a save in the 9th to getting 8 hits over 3 games with 3 extra base hits or something. They are a great way to get stubs and cards though, however I found the Conquest items to be the best way to get cards. But yeah, as a baseball fan it is a lot of fun to try and re-live a huge moment in a way. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...