Briste's Diary of a Madman

Briste

13 hours ago, Briste said:

The game is challenging, addicting and fun!

Speaking of addicting, after playing the game on PS4 I just got all the achievements on PC and got the second character to A20 (the Ironclad was first, now the Silent). What a game! :D 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rally-Vincent--- said:

It was the same with me. First run was a win, second run a win on daily. Then ten defeats in a row.

The Watcher almost broke me lol the elite battle right before the boss beat me up so bad every time....I would coast up the floors and just bomb there every time. I feel your pain with your loss streak for sure

8 hours ago, det_gittes said:

Speaking of addicting, after playing the game on PS4 I just got all the achievements on PC and got the second character to A20 (the Ironclad was first, now the Silent). What a game! :D 

I definitely want to keep playing this far beyond the Plat. I would like to A20 all 4 at some point. Which one has been your favorite to play?

Only 10 days left to my rain day and it looks like I'll have maybe 15 platinums to pop....need to get working on my reviews!

Platinum #138

x8yaYHN.png

Batman: Arkham Asylum (JP)

There's not much to say about this game that I haven't already said twice before lol It was still really awesome on my third go 'round. It was really challenging at first since all the writing is in Japanese...I had to watch some Youtube videos on the menu screen so I could figure out where to change the difficulty and stuff. All of the voice acting is the original English, but there is no option to change the text to English. I thought it was going to be quite hard at first due to me not being able to read any of the Riddler clues or game clues on where to go next. Fortunately I did remember quite a bit from the last time I played this in 2018. The only real reason I played this version was to fully complete the Arkham series tab. I now for a lot of games, the series tab doesn't make a lot of sense, but for this series it does. This was the series that started me in trophy hunting and I wanted to fully complete it. I'm sure if they re-re-release it for PS5...I'd plat them there too.

The only thing of note for me this time around was how easily I was able to get through all of the challenge modes. I had remembered this game's challenge mode to be the hardest since the controls aren't as crisp as in the later games in the series....but I was in a zone the night I did these. I knocked them all out in less than two hours. None of the combat ones took me more than two tries and most of the Predator ones didn't take more than one or two. It was actually a bit of a relief to get through them so fast since those are usually the most tedious things to do in these games. The only trophy I have left to pop this is to do a Predator Challenge and only use Silent Takedowns. I'll just do the first Predator Mission and it shouldn't take me more than a few minutes.  If you haven't played this series, I highly recommend it. Outside of Final Fantasy (historically) this is my favorite series of all time.

I'll probably be doing one review a night from today until my rain day to make sure I get them all in.

Platinum #139

H8TceOS.png

Fill-a-Pix: Phil's Epic Adventure

This is another game that there's not much to talk about. It's an 'a-Pix' so your basic puzzle game...except here, the puzzles are basically a man with a mustache having you develop the film from his Epic Vacation. For those of you utes...sorry....youths....that don't know what developing film is....that's what old folks like me used to do after taking pictures to see if our eyes were open or not when the button was pushed. You didn't know right away and had to drop off your camera film and have someone else print them out for you. Wild times man....So for the game, you basically solve sudoku-ish/minesweeper-ish style puzzles to discover the landmark that Phil saw on his travel's to that part of the world. The puzzles are broken out into counties/continents that Phil visited. The best part is, other than the picture being different...solving every puzzle is exactly the same. Absolutely no variation in tactics or style. My favorite two places Phil visited were Egypt and Africa....because Egypt definitely couldn't have been included as part of the Africa section lol

Before I found out about how you can cheese this game....I was pretty surprised at how high the completion % is because some of the puzzles are MASSIVE. None of them are hard....just very time consuming. Each area has like ten to fifteen puzzles and two or three are pretty short...fifteen minutes or less...but the rest take between one to two hours to finish each. It probably took me about 50 or 60 hours to beat this game. I did cheese one puzzle just to see how it worked...but it was super boring. Since I was playing on the Vita, it was actually fun to do the puzzles (no sarcasm in that sentence). There is no color at all, just black and white, so they are pretty boring. Despite the lack of color, some of the pictures were pretty detailed. 

I couldn't imagine playing this game on something other than the Vita. The complete lack of color and the monotony of the task would be too much to take on a big screen and console, but it is a perfect little game for the Vita. I generally played while my wife was watching something on TV that I didn't really want to watch. It was mindless and passed the time. This game also boasts one of the best sound tracks I've ever heard in my life. I simply love one song on a 30 second loop for hours and hours. I think I would wake up screaming at night in my bed to that theme music. There is absolutely no reason to play this game at all unless you have a Vita...or are bullied into it like I was by @Jens and @Cassylvania. If Phil didn't have a mustache, I wouldn't have succumbed to the peer pressure, but you can never underestimate a man with a mustache (trademark Deadpool 2).

• Like 2

rklDSxl.png

Gunhouse

Time for a legitimate, finished game review. No platinum for this game so I wasn't going to save it for the rain day next week. Probably could have, but this game was so bad, I just wanted to finish it when I saw the light at the end of this extremely long and tedious tunnel. This was a PS+ game that I got I have no idea when. I had started playing SMB again a bit last summer and just didn't have the stomach for it at the time and was looking for a new Vita game to play as an excuse to procrastinate. I looked through my backlog and this game was randomly selected....yuck.

It's basically just an extremely repetitive puzzle game. The house is set up kind of like a slot machine that has a 3X6 grid. You get to choose three different weapons from the potential eight in the store (you don't start with all eight however). It's really only four guns with four being a kind of upgraded version of its match. When a level starts, the grid randomly fills up with eighteen gun icons from the three you have selected (each gun has a unique icon). You need to get a 2X2 grid of the same icon in order to get a gun that you can 'load' into either the front or back of the house. There is room for three guns up front and three in the rear. If the guns are loaded in the front, they do one thing and if they are loaded in the back they do something different. Some guns are better suited for the front of the house and some better for the back. The more icons you get gridded together, the more powerful the gun in that slot will be. You can also load more of the same gun in the same slot to strengthen what is already loaded...i.e. you load a 2X2 gun and then but another 2X2 on top, it will stack the power. But you have to be careful, because if you slide a different weapon in, it will override what was already there...even if it is weaker. It is very easy to do this by accident as well since the way you get rid of gun icons you don't want is to slide them left or right off the grid. To further strengthen the gun, there are two gun icons located at the very top of the house. This lets you know that if you load the gun with that icon next, it will get a boost. If that gun type is loaded, the bonus gun icon that was there will then disappear and the other icon that was at the top will slide over to be the potential bonus and that one will be replaced by one of the other three random icons. This sounds more confusing to explain than it is in practice. 

So now that we've gone over what you're doing, we'll go over what a level is. You start on Day 1 at noon. The Day starts and your grid is filled with the gun icons...you then have 20 seconds to rearrange the icons in the grid, Candy Crush style to try and load the guns in the front or back. With about four seconds left, the side of the house gets pulled down slowly (like a garage door), covering the grid and you lose the ability to move the pieces that have been covered. Once the side of the house is completely pulled down, things start coming at you from the left side of the screen, guns blazing, trying to steal your people out of the house. After about 10 seconds or so of attacking (seems shorter if you aren't attacking, but the round won't end if your guns are still shooting), the screen pauses and the side of the house opens and you can start to rearrange the icons in the grid again. After 20 seconds, it's closed and the onslaught continues. You have hearts at the top of the screen that represent your health and every time the bad guys shoot your house, you lose a bit of health and each time they kidnap a person all the way back to the left side of the screen, you lose health (you can block shots and kill the kidnapper to avoid losing health). This repeats until you have fended off the baddies or they deplete your health. If you win, you move onto the next phase which is Day 1 Dusk. If you lose, you can retry. If you beat Day 1 Dusk, you move onto Day 1 Night. Dusk has more things that shoot at you than Noon and Night has more things that shoot at you than Dusk, plus a boss.

The things you kill drop money, hearts or nothing. With the money, you can visit the store and buy upgrades to your guns, health or armor. Armor is really important the higher up you go because the gun toting things that attack you start to hit like a truck and you'll die after a couple of hits. While there are eight potential guns you can use, one really needs to be the Fork. It's one of only two defensive 'guns' and is much more effective than the other option. The Fork is a weak gun if you move it to the front of the house but the all important shield if you move it to the back. This one is a must because you'll get stuffed in a locker if you don't block the attacks and you also don't need to invest any money in upgrading since upgrading the shield doesn't really do anything, allowing you to use those funds to upgrade your other items. I also ended up using the Beach Ball and Flame Thrower as my other two options. You can also earn money by completing 'challenges' that the game sets up for you in between each round. You need to do some of these for trophies and they are a good way to get money...however I couldn't be bothered with them after day 40 or so....just wasn't worth the effort. I tried some of the other guns....but nothing seemed to be as effective.

Here is why the game sucks though....it is the same thing over and over and over again. Noon, Dusk, Night...same three phases of the day each day and you fight the same enemies on Day 1, 11, 21, 31, etc. Basically the first 10 days are somewhat unique (but not really) and then every 10 days after that is a repeat of the same exact thing again except the enemies are slightly harder each time. When I say the exact same thing....it is the exact same thing....EXACT. No change in background, no change in strategy, no change in enemies, no change in bosses, NO CHANGE IN MUSIC. To get the 100% you need to get through day 100...so 300 of the exact same thing. It was a grueling slog and stopped being fun by around day 15. For a while I tried doing 1 day per day to get through it....but I just needed to walk away for a bit. Watching 'Married at First Sight' was more appealing lol Unless you are a masochistic or have a real hard-on for UR trophies...stay far, far away from this one.

• Like 1

Platinum #140

Ccbrj9H.png

LEGO Batman 3: Beyond Gotham

This game was another that was my son's choice. After we finished LEGO Batman 2, we picked right up with LEGO Batman 3. I enjoyed LEGO Batman 2 much more than I did 3. The free roam was far superior in the second installment. My son and I had a lot more fun roaming around Gotham city 'kicking butt bad guys' then we did wandering the space station and bat cave in LB3. The story was also much weaker. As far as gameplay goes, it follows the usual LEGO game formula of several episodes you get through for the story and then go back in free play to clean up. It's still all about collecting stuff, whether it be gold bricks, red bricks or characters. Collecting the character's was probably the most fun part of the game, mostly because my son got a kick out of getting new good guys or bad guys to play. I always let him be the one to buy/unlock them from the menu so that he felt like he discovered it for us.

Most of the game is him chasing me around trying to fight me with whatever bad guy he's chosen while I try to solve the puzzle....however on occasion, he'll get interested in solving the puzzle or find a brick on his own and he took a lot of pride in figuring them out. For as systematic and relatively unoriginal all of these LEGO games are, they are great starter games for kids. There's really not much else to say. It's another Batman game notch on my belt and my second completed game with my son. Our next game together is LEGO Ninjago, however my sister showed him 'Don't Starve' on the iPad and he tends to want to play that more right now. He did see me playing Spider-Man Miles Morales though and wanted to fool around in that for a bit. Much steeper learning curve for that one lol 

If for some reason you have a LEGO game itch....go with Batman 2....it's much better money spent.

• Like 2

Platinum #141

5h5DsBi.png

Ghost Giant VR

I had never heard of this game before a few weeks ago. I had signed up for the Trophies for Mental Health Event and wasn't really sure what I wanted to play. I looked through the list of recommended games for something that looked interesting, and this caught my eye. Partly because it is a VR game and I hadn't used mine much recently. I picked it up for the event and it ended up being a perfect choice. The story takes a hard look at depression and how it not only effects the person with the mental health issue, but those who care about the ones suffering.

In this story, the person suffering from depression is Louis' mother. When you meet Louis, he is alone and talking to himself. You play the part of the Ghost Giant and are Louis' imaginary friend who ends up being a witness and helper for Louis throughout the story. The game is set up like you are watching a play at a theater with each level being a different scene. The graphics imitate you being on a set as well. The clouds are hung by string and some of the buildings can be 'opened' so you can see what is happening inside. The Ghost Giant is in the very middle of every scene and cannot move around. You can turn a full 180 degrees (90 to the right and 90 to the left of the starting position) to see different things or interact with different objects. The crux of the game is Louis is trying to make his mom happy again. However due to her condition, the farm they live on is in a bit of disrepair and they aren't paying their bills and getting her out of her funk will be a big challenge. Your job as the Ghost Giant is to help Louis get the items he thinks he needs to make his mom happy again. Each scene is made up of a handful of puzzles, none are particularly challenging, but what you need to do isn't always obvious either. There are a handful of collectibles made up of hats, bugs, pin-wheels and shooting a basketball into a hoop. There are a handful of trophies that require you to interact with a scene a certain way that isn't needed to solve a puzzle or something you'd necessarily do via natural gameplay...for example, putting a taco hat on a cat or blasting a piñata with some fireworks.

The game is pretty sad to play through, however it deals with a very real situation and does so in an impactful way. There are about a dozen scenes and each one takes from five to thirty minutes depending on how much exploring you do. My biggest gripe with the game was how hard it was to interact with some of the items you need to solve a puzzle. You'd go to reach for something and your hand would hit an invisible wall and the game wouldn't let you reach so you'd have to maneuver your head and reset the center of the screen to be able to reach. Some of that may have been my fault based on where the camera was positioned....but even reaching forward towards the camera would hit an invisible wall. Another nuisance was some of the hoops you have to shoot the basketball into are really far away and shooting a ball like normal just wouldn't reach. I found that a backhanded flip ended up being the best way to shoot if you wanted to reach some of the hoops.

Overall, the game is just ok. The graphics are cute and the story is about an important topic, but there isn't a lot else going on. I would have liked to see more Easter egg type things by interacting with different parts of the scenery. There are a few, but the game is really quick to get through...I'd say it can comfortably be done in about 6-8 hours. I don't think it was worth the twenty something dollars I paid for it, but the message was good, the game was for a good event and I don't regret playing it. I'd say if you could get it for $10 or so, it'd be worth picking up, otherwise I don't think you'd be missing a ton by skipping this one.

• Like 1

Platinum #142

1iREvQx.png

Detroit: Become Human

This is the last game in the Quantic Dream lineup that I had left to play. I enjoyed all of the other games for their story, but found the platinum to be a chore to finish up. I was expecting more of the same here but was pleasantly surprised that the platinum didn’t end up being nearly the same kind of grind. I have read in several places that this game sucked to platinum because of all the playthroughs, but I will kindly disagree…this wasn’t bad at all. Following the trophy guide on here, it is easily done in 2+ playthroughs. The trophy guide doesn't really give away much for spoilers...I mean there are a few since it's a choice based game....but without any context I don't think it spoiled anything and the guide is pretty good.

From a story perspective, I think Quantic Dream did another great job telling something that is compelling. It was a little derivative of the underground railroad and the civil rights movement, but I don’t really mind if it gets people thinking about civil rights. While I was playing the game, I felt like you had to choose between the Malcom X style of resistance and the MLK civil disobedience style. My personality is more towards the peaceful approach and that was how I chose to play the game the first time through. I really like how your choices in these games really impact what happens and what you see from the story. It's honestly like twelve stories rolled into one that interconnect like a web. You can see just how complex the story gets when you look at the storyline between chapters.

Since the game is very story driven, I will refrain from saying too much more about it other than I thought it was well done and dealt with civil rights. I’ll focus more on what they improved to make the platinum much better to achieve than the other games. For starters, this game can be platinumed in just two playthroughs plus a handful of replays of different chapters…which you can do during your main playthroughs. There are only a handful of trophies that require a full playthrough. So long as you do one peaceful playthrough and one violent playthrough, you can pretty much get it done in just two (I did).

What they did in this game that I really liked, was they added checkpoints to the chapters. In previous games, you needed to replay the entire chapter if you wanted to redo something for a trophy. Many of the chapters here have a few checkpoints. You can start at partway through a chapter at a checkpoint instead of starting at the beginning. This shaved a couple hours off the platinum alone. Not every chapter has well placed checkpoints, I think because there are so many options/break points in the timeline that it doesn’t make sense to, but there were enough to make targeting specific trophies pretty easy. This addition to the game was great and I’m wondering if most people don’t know about it which is why they bitch about the amount of playthroughs needed. This was probably my favorite game in the series, simply because I didn’t feel the grind at the end. I really enjoyed Beyond: Two Souls as well, but by the end of that platinum, I was feeling the effects. Playing that last chapter five times or so was just brutal.

My favorite characters in the game were Connor and Hank. It was really interesting to see how different the two playthroughs can be, especially through the lens of these two characters. Again, to avoid spoilers, I won’t say anything specific, but their relationship was interesting. I also was shocked that Hank was played by Clancy Brown…well not that he was played by Clancy Brown because I didn’t know his real name until I looked him up….but Clancy Brown played the asshole Captain Hadley in Shawshank Redemption and the drill instructor Sargent Zim in Starship Troopers. With the long hair and goatee, I didn’t recognize him at all. The voice was familiar, so I looked him up and had one of those ‘no way!’ moments. He did a really good job of voice acting, and looking at his IMDB page, I didn’t realize how much voice acting he’s done.

I got the game for free with PS+, however I think the game would be worth $10-$15 to buy if you didn’t get it for free then. I mean I love the choose your own adventure style games so for me it’d be worth it, but if that game style isn’t your cup of tea, probably not the game for you. I think it’s worth playing through because the message is a good one and there are a lot of likeable characters with a good amount of depth to look into.

• Like 1

Platinum #143

KnOF7yq.png

Maneater

This ended up being my first PS5 game that I played. I got it for free with PS+ before I had the PS5, knowing I’d get one eventually. I was kind of looking forward to this game as it sounded pretty interesting. I was a little disappointed though…it was basically the shark version of Goat Simulator.

The game is presented like a reality TV show in the mold of Deadliest Catch or something. It’s a weird dynamic because the guy who’s being filmed seems to want to be taken seriously, however everything else about the game is goofy. The commentator is goofy, all the collectibles are pretty goofy….it’s just a weird game. I was bored to tears at first too because you start out as a baby shark and are just chasing down catfish for two hours trying to avoid crocodiles until you have eaten enough catfish to evolve into a slightly bigger shark.  

Once you evolve a few times and become bigger, the game gets a little more fun…but it’s basically just chasing catfish all game…except the catfish change to slightly bigger fish, then crocodiles and then humans and other sharks and other ocean life. It ends up feeling like you’re playing Sharknado or something with how you bounce across the land eating people left and right. If you eat enough people, bounty hunters come after you and then you just eat them and destroy ships. They'll keep showing up until they lose sight of you for long enough.

It is truly one of the weirdest games I can remember playing. I enjoyed Goat Simulator a little bit because I knew it was a joke going into it….I didn’t expect this game to be a joke so it was a little disappointing. If I knew ahead of time what the game was about, I may have enjoyed it more….but at the end of the day it was just a 12 hour shark simulator that just wasn’t very fun to play. If you got it for free and are bored, go ahead and play it…but I wouldn’t pay real money for this…except from what I’ve read, I’m probably going to have to pay real money at some point since it sounds like there are DLC’s in this game’s future. If it is more than $5, I’m going to be annoyed.

I'm running into a personal dilemma. I have Jotun done and ready to pop...so I could in theory pop it on Monday with the other several games I've been saving. However, I really enjoyed Jotun and I really like the platinum trophy so am debating saving it for the 150 platinum milestone. If I pop everything else I have on Monday, that'll put me at 145 or 146 platinums, so I'd be really close. The only downside is the last game I want to plat is Dragon Age so that I can then beat DA2 and DA:I back to back to keep the series in a row which will probably be a month or two....I mean these truly are first world, idiosyncratic problems lol but I'm running out of time to make a decision. I also thought about saving the DA plat until after 150 and just beating a handful of my shorter games in the mean time....but then that would mean not plat'ing two games I have ready for Monday....decisions decisions....

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Briste said:

I'm running into a personal dilemma. I have Jotun done and ready to pop...so I could in theory pop it on Monday with the other several games I've been saving. However, I really enjoyed Jotun and I really like the platinum trophy so am debating saving it for the 150 platinum milestone. If I pop everything else I have on Monday, that'll put me at 145 or 146 platinums, so I'd be really close. The only downside is the last game I want to plat is Dragon Age so that I can then beat DA2 and DA:I back to back to keep the series in a row which will probably be a month or two....I mean these truly are first world, idiosyncratic problems lol but I'm running out of time to make a decision. I also thought about saving the DA plat until after 150 and just beating a handful of my shorter games in the mean time....but then that would mean not plat'ing two games I have ready for Monday....decisions decisions....

Haha yeah, very serious problems indeed! ?

I mean, Jotun is a fun game.. but I don't think it is anything Milestone-worthy... 

If I were you, I'd pop everything you have ready, then start playing through the DA games .. that should put you at 149?

While doing DA... start practicing SMB again and pop that one for 150 ?

• Like 2

I second Super Meat Boy. One of the greatest feelings I got while trophy hunting. I don't think I'll ever replicate that feeling again unless I try something crazy like VVVVVV or Splasher, which at this point in my life, is looking more and more unlikely.

Just take it easy and practice for 30 mins - 1 hour a day or every other day. Eventually you will get better.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Arcesius said:

Haha yeah, very serious problems indeed! 1f602.png

I mean, Jotun is a fun game.. but I don't think it is anything Milestone-worthy... 

If I were you, I'd pop everything you have ready, then start playing through the DA games .. that should put you at 149?

While doing DA... start practicing SMB again and pop that one for 150? 

7 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

I second Super Meat Boy. One of the greatest feelings I got while trophy hunting. I don't think I'll ever replicate that feeling again unless I try something crazy like VVVVVV or Splasher, which at this point in my life, is looking more and more unlikely.

I agree 100% that SMB would be the far prouder platinum to display as a milestone, but it doesn't exactly go with the rest of the themes. I do like the trophy image and it would probably be my proudest platinum, however I have a little bit of a theme I'm following with the milestones.

My milestones are as much about the jokes as it is about the game. My intentional milestones (the trophies from platinum 50 on) are usually about the trophy itself as opposed to the game it is in. I really started planning my trophies at the 50th Platinum with The Banner Saga plat. I chose that because I really liked the game, Iver was one of my favorite characters and I liked the artwork.

With my milestones, it's a pretty even split actually. TBS, Valkyria Chonicles 4, Final Fantasy VIII and Final Fantasy VII Remake were mostly about the game I played and a little about the trophy art. Rayman Legends, The Wolf Among Us and Hollow Knight were mostly about the trophy art while for HK, I thought the trophy title matched my gaming goals. Spec Ops: The Line, Alice: Madness Returns, Leisure Suit Larry and MLB The Show 18 were because I thought the trophy name or image was funny. The reason I would select Jotun would mirror Hollow Knight mostly. I enjoyed playing Jotun, the trophy image is nice enough and I think the name of the trophy, 'Worthy of Legend', would be pretty funny to include with some of the others on my page. While I don't actually think my profile is 'Worthy of Legend'...I find humor in the idea it would be immortalized in my milestones.

The trophy image is really good for SMB, so it would work there, but I think I'm too close to the finish line at 150 to make that my milestone this time around....but I tell you what....you guys have sparked the competitive juices in me again with SMB and I will make that my 200th platinum. I'll probably follow @AJ_Radio's advice of practicing 30 minutes - 1 hour a day and at least get the next two trophies while I practice Cotton Alley Dark World for #200. I needed a reason to go back to that game so thank you too for challenging me to finish it!

I'm leaning towards making Jotun 150 right now. I started a couple shorter games in Celeste and The Walking Dead. With Celeste I'm planning on doing as much as I can without 'assist mode' since I don't really want to completely cheese the game....but I also don't want to pull my hair out when that option is right there. Celeste is suffering from the same problem that Hollow Knight did...I know the easy button is there so my motivation isn't quite as high. To get me to 150 quicker, I also downloaded a couple of VR games from my backlog to finish as well to get me closer to 150 in the next couple of weeks. I'll probably start popping some games after midnight tonight to get a  head start for tomorrow. A couple of the games will take a bit longer to get that last trophy, however most are only a couple of minutes from popping.

Edited by Briste
  • Like 3

Well, that was a good read :D 

But most importantly... Happy Birthday semi-old man! It's very nice to see that still at this point in your life, with everything going on, with undoubtedly a ton of stuff to take care off... you still can be as passionate about gaming as you are :) (and keep thinking about trophies while out in the nature... :P)

In any case, congrats about the plat rain as well! I think I never popped more than 2 plats in one day :D 

As for the Milestone... I saw "Worthy of Legend" and knew where you were going :) But I still wanted to mention SMB to push a little bit, and it seems that it worked! I find it very important to have people, and be it random dudes on the internet, to keep pushing you towards a challenging goal. It would be difficult to find the motivation to get back to that game on your own. But even if someone manages to put the game in the back of your head... it can make all the difference... 

And with that... I wish you as little frustration as possible for your practice sessions! :D 

Edit: Oh and I really enjoyed reading all of your reviews :) And I'm definitely looking forward to the one about Jotun! Seems like it didn't give you too much trouble, which I know could very well have been the case ?

Edited by Arcesius
  • Like 3

Happy birthday! Really nice to see you're still enjoying video games and trophies at 40 and can successfully combine all that with real life - I hope I will, too (and I will know for sure later this year :D though I still have full 7 months to go). My current profile is a mess that I could care less about but I am considering starting a new profile (when I started my profile, I didn't even know trophies existed, now I would have a much better idea what I'd like to put on it) if only I can convince myself to stop playing Trials Fusion :D

Also good luck with future milestones! It's quite amazing how meticulous you are about them! Your updates and reviews are always a good read!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Arcesius said:

But most importantly... Happy Birthday semi-old man! It's very nice to see that still at this point in your life, with everything going on, with undoubtedly a ton of stuff to take care off... you still can be as passionate about gaming as you are :) (and keep thinking about trophies while out in the nature... :P)

4 hours ago, Rally-Vincent--- said:

Congrats and happy birthday. Patience is the privilege of the elders, so welcome in their ranks... :P

4 hours ago, det_gittes said:

Happy birthday! Really nice to see you're still enjoying video games and trophies at 40 and can successfully combine all that with real life - I hope I will, too (and I will know for sure later this year :D though I still have full 7 months to go). My current profile is a mess that I could care less about but I am considering starting a new profile (when I started my profile, I didn't even know trophies existed, now I would have a much better idea what I'd like to put on it) if only I can convince myself to stop playing Trials Fusion :D

Thank you! I think I'm still passionate about it since it's the one hobby I still have that I can kind of be passionate about and feel like I am in control of. I don't play sports anymore and this is that last 'childhood' past time that I can still do. It's also something that my wife has been surprisingly ok with me holding onto. When we were first dating, she felt like video games was something I would 'grow out of'. However, as we have both gotten older, she has noticed that most guys my age still play video games and no longer feels like I need to grow out of it. She appreciates that it is something I enjoy to do and with how much of yourself you sacrifice when you have children, she thinks it's good that I hold onto it. With that kind of freedom, I really have fun with my profile.

I think of my trophy profile a bit like someone would keep a 'man cave'. It's got some of my proud accomplishments displayed, it's got some inside jokes and funny things, pictures of my kids or what not. It's got some things I want to tinker with or goals that I want to work towards, but I try not to take it too seriously. I have a vision for what I want my profile to say about me and I try to go about it the best I can.

I actually appreciate all three of your profiles and check them out pretty regularly since we seem to have some similar tastes. @det_gittes I hear what you're saying as far as feeling like your current profile is a mess...I would say embrace the mess and make it what you want it to be, but I totally understand the idea of a nice, fresh start as well :) either way you do you! 

But I still wanted to mention SMB to push a little bit, and it seems that it worked! I find it very important to have people, and be it random dudes on the internet, to keep pushing you towards a challenging goal. It would be difficult to find the motivation to get back to that game on your own. But even if someone manages to put the game in the back of your head... it can make all the difference... 

And I appreciate it lol I've tried a half dozen separate times to just buckle down and get this done....and I get bored after 15 minutes or so. Having the challenge extended gets those juices flowing a bit again and now I have to push myself. I really didn't want an unfinished game anyway, but so long as it isn't unobtainable...in my mind I could always go back to it. Thanks for the push!

4 hours ago, Rally-Vincent--- said:

Oh, and don't let yourself get sucked in to that SMB pyramid scheme. Everyone who gets the Platinum has to recruit five other people into their cult.

lol I'm like the Michael Scott of pyramid schemes when it comes to gaming.... @Cassylvania and @Jens know about that. I'm slowly starting to contemplate a Yakuza pyramid AND an Atelier pyramid...when I finish, I'll try and get you to be in my pyramid ;) 

Edit: Oh and I really enjoyed reading all of your reviews :) And I'm definitely looking forward to the one about Jotun! Seems like it didn't give you too much trouble, which I know could very well have been the case 1f605.png

I have actually already written that review and could just post it for the fun of it lol It didn't give me that much trouble....but the last three Valhalla fights took about three hours of practice each. So many times I thought I had it with all three of them when some BS would happen lol Thankfully it's one of those games you know you're going to struggle until you practice enough so I never really got that frustrated.

4 hours ago, det_gittes said:

Also good luck with future milestones! It's quite amazing how meticulous you are about them! Your updates and reviews are always a good read!

I appreciate it! With that in mind, here's my next review:

Platinum #144

HeyvxtJ.png

Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales

I bought this game when I bought the PS5. It’s not something I necessarily wanted right away, but I was trying to figure out how to get a PS5 into my cart in Walmart and thought it might be easier to finagle if I had something else in my cart already. I don’t know if that was why I was able to get a PS5 that day…but it might have been! Despite me not really planning on getting this right away, I did plan on playing it eventually since I enjoyed the first iteration.

The gameplay is virtually identical to the first. Swinging around the city is exactly the same and the basic combat is the same as well. What made me like this game better than the first was the additions to the combat and the subtractions to the collectibles. Miles extra abilities over Peter adds another dimension to fighting. There are several Venom attacks that are easy to use and work seamlessly in combat. They are pretty OP, but a lot of fun. Miles also has the ability to turn invisible, which is kind of a get out of jail free card. There is only one enemy type that can see Miles when invisible (that I ever noticed anyway) and it doesn’t appear until the end of the game. You can turn invisible every ten seconds or so, so it’s easy to abuse and any time you get in trouble, just turn invisible, web out and then let the bad guys deaggro and try again. The game really isn’t that hard at all partly due to his invisibility.

The other great thing about this game was the collectibles weren’t ridiculous like the first one. No more ‘clearing six of the same crimes in each district’ or sixty backpacks or all the other crap that made the first game forty hours instead of twenty hours. This one has about eight unique crimes and the only requirement is to do each of the ‘bonus’ challenges for that crime. So while the same crimes pop up all over, you can mostly ignore them once you have done the extra challenges. There are a handful of side missions and the main story only takes a few hours to beat. It was a nice, quick little game that was fun to play and knew not to drag itself out so long that it became a chore. I know a lot of people have an issue with how short the game is for the price, however I would rather a good, fun fifteen-hour game than a game that only is forty hours because of repetitive collectibles that don’t really add anything.

I played on Spectacular difficulty to start because I have a feeling there’ll be some sort of DLC that requires difficulty since that happened in the first and figured I’d get it out of the way. I forgot that there was a higher difficulty that gets unlocked after beating the regular game…so even if there is a DLC, my first playthrough won’t unlock anything lol. I ended up playing NG+ on the easiest difficulty though since I just wanted to get through it. If they do add a difficulty DLC though, I’d happily play through this again. Miles is a very likeable protagonist and is easy to root for and fun to play as. The story is pretty typical of a comic book story…nothing bad but nothing great either.

While $60 is pretty steep for a game and I usually only reserve paying full price for a new game that I’ve been waiting for years to play, I don’t regret this purchase. My son saw me playing and wanted to swing around a bit, so it’ll get some more mileage. He got his ass handed to him on Spectacular difficulty lol but he didn’t care…I ended up starting a new game on easy for him so he could actually try and fight some stuff. There are way too many buttons that you need to use quickly for him to be good at this game right now….we’ll probably stick to the LEGO stuff in the short temr, but I’ll let him fool around. He loves Miles thanks to the 'Into the Spider-verse' movie. This game is definitely worth playing, but I’d probably wait for the price to come down. I think you could pay $20-$25 without feeling cheated.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Arcesius said:

You are playing Injustice! 1f631.png Do you hate your life so much??? 1f631.png1f631.png

lol you're like the tenth person to ask me that. I actually had an epiphany the other night about something and just maybe chose the wrong game to do it with. I'm sure most people had thought of this by now, but I haven't had multiple of the same console since a PS2. It dawned on me the other night that with the PS5 being able to play PS4 games....I actually had two PS4's and could maybe grind out a game with annoying online requirements by myself. I wanted to pick a game I would probably never play otherwise and for some reason, Injustice came to mind. It actually worked out gloriously so far....I have an Alt account that I set up back when I was trying to get the online trophies for DriveClub VR and that I now have my son use when we're playing LEGO games. I had that account use my PS4 to log in and my actual account to log in to the PS5 and I just banged out almost all of the online trophies in two nights. I just have the one for getting to 200 online battles left. 

I only have this PS4 for a couple of weeks since I told a friend of mine he could have it since I have a PS5. I may take advantage of this opportunity on a couple other games I probably would never play otherwise to do a grind. Get the online stuff done and then come back and do the main game later. I'm not that good at fighting games, but it's another 'Batman' game so I figured if I was going to do a fighting game, this would be the one. I did read about your fun experience with it and almost decided on something else....but in the heat of the moment I pulled the trigger lol 

8 hours ago, gruffiiti said:

Hey... Welcome to the 40+ club @Briste!

Thanks for the interesting plat rain read. Glad everything worked out in the end.

Thanks! It feels an awful lot like 39 so far lol My body is telling me 60, my brain is telling me 20 and my birth certificate is telling me 40....so I guess that maths work out at least! Any pointers? lol

On 5/30/2021 at 11:31 AM, Briste said:

The trophy image is really good for SMB, so it would work there, but I think I'm too close to the finish line at 150 to make that my milestone this time around....but I tell you what....you guys have sparked the competitive juices in me again with SMB and I will make that my 200th platinum. I'll probably follow @AJ_Radio's advice of practicing 30 minutes - 1 hour a day and at least get the next two trophies while I practice Cotton Alley Dark World for #200. I needed a reason to go back to that game so thank you too for challenging me to finish it!

That is a looonnngg ways off my friend. If you do finish Super Meat Boy, that will be an impressive accomplishment. I haven't read this thread since I last posted so I understand you recently turned 40.

Luckily you don't need to worry about fast reflexes as contrary to what some people think, you can do as long as you want on the no death levels. You just have to NOT DIE. However, a couple levels, notably 7-19X require you to go fast anyway, so you're going to need to pull off some serious practice before you can get good at it.

I would advise making 7-20X one of your first levels, as that is generally the longest one to finish and it would be an utter nightmare to make it the last one you need to finish the no-death run.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Briste said:

lol you're like the tenth person to ask me that. I actually had an epiphany the other night about something and just maybe chose the wrong game to do it with. I'm sure most people had thought of this by now, but I haven't had multiple of the same console since a PS2. It dawned on me the other night that with the PS5 being able to play PS4 games....I actually had two PS4's and could maybe grind out a game with annoying online requirements by myself. I wanted to pick a game I would probably never play otherwise and for some reason, Injustice came to mind. It actually worked out gloriously so far....I have an Alt account that I set up back when I was trying to get the online trophies for DriveClub VR and that I now have my son use when we're playing LEGO games. I had that account use my PS4 to log in and my actual account to log in to the PS5 and I just banged out almost all of the online trophies in two nights. I just have the one for getting to 200 online battles left. 

I only have this PS4 for a couple of weeks since I told a friend of mine he could have it since I have a PS5. I may take advantage of this opportunity on a couple other games I probably would never play otherwise to do a grind. Get the online stuff done and then come back and do the main game later. I'm not that good at fighting games, but it's another 'Batman' game so I figured if I was going to do a fighting game, this would be the one. I did read about your fun experience with it and almost decided on something else....but in the heat of the moment I pulled the trigger lol 

Ok fair enough.. But just let me say this: I boosted the 200 matches with @Mori and even though it was repetitive, it was the most fun I had with the game (since, you know.. we could at least talk while mashing buttons). We had to do the ranked matches legit though since for some reason we would just not get paired with each other. 

Enjoy the story, it is probably the best thing about this game. And once you start doing the S.T.A.R. Labs... Well, I'm just looking forward to the salt ? What a slog. 

What a piece of trash this game is... At least it's not too difficult, especially not for the rarity it sits at. Hope you find it a bit more enjoyable than I did! 

Edit: Oh yeah, there is some piece of info missing in the guide that would make the lv. 100 grind 1/3 shorter. You can buy the multipliers from the archives, but you can also get an additional multiplier by winning 20 (I think) online matches (not necessarily ranked) in a row. With that multiplier and the card from the archives you can have a 15x multiplier, which means that you can get to level 100 in 10-15 hours depending on when you start. Otherwise you are looking at 20+ hours. So having that boosting option ready will also be helpful here.. Hopefully you have the PS4 then still! 

Feel free to ask anything if you run into any issues with this game :) 

Edited by Arcesius
  • Like 1

On 6/8/2021 at 9:52 PM, AJ_Radio said:

Luckily you don't need to worry about fast reflexes as contrary to what some people think, you can do as long as you want on the no death levels. You just have to NOT DIE. However, a couple levels, notably 7-19X require you to go fast anyway, so you're going to need to pull off some serious practice before you can get good at it.

My reflexes are still pretty good. I've always had pretty good hand eye co-ordination. My biggest challenge will be to overcome the boredom I was feeling every time I picked it back up to try again. I'd play for like twenty minutes and just not feel like playing. I feel I've been directly challenged now though, so I think that might be enough to push me through the boredom aspect. I can get through most of the levels dying three times or less....I just can't consistently get through them without dying once yet. It'll just be about that practice :)

On 6/9/2021 at 2:32 AM, Arcesius said:

Ok fair enough.. But just let me say this: I boosted the 200 matches with @Mori and even though it was repetitive, it was the most fun I had with the game (since, you know.. we could at least talk while mashing buttons). We had to do the ranked matches legit though since for some reason we would just not get paired with each other. 

I was watching the Bruins games while doing a lot of it....which turned out to be not much fun lol I could see how that would be the most fun part of it. I have no real timetable to get this game done and it will probably just be a long term project. I'll probably do like one thing per day unless I get on a good roll or something. I still haven't actually played the game yet....I haven't even opened the single player part (other than to do the tutorial) and so far it's just been me basically punching a punching bag to get all the extra crap done. That way I can just focus on playing once I actually start the single player. I'm probably up to about 180 matches or so and once I hit 200, I'll switch over to the single player....going to try and get a lot of the 'break everything in every zone' trophy done with the matches I have left.

On 6/9/2021 at 2:32 AM, Arcesius said:

Edit: Oh yeah, there is some piece of info missing in the guide that would make the lv. 100 grind 1/3 shorter. You can buy the multipliers from the archives, but you can also get an additional multiplier by winning 20 (I think) online matches (not necessarily ranked) in a row. With that multiplier and the card from the archives you can have a 15x multiplier, which means that you can get to level 100 in 10-15 hours depending on when you start. Otherwise you are looking at 20+ hours. So having that boosting option ready will also be helpful here.. Hopefully you have the PS4 then still! 

Feel free to ask anything if you run into any issues with this game :) 

Thanks for the tip. I read something about a macro with remote play, but I don't want to mess around with that. I've never used remote play before and I'll probably just push a button while I'm working or something. I am going to save the 5X boost for when I get to the 10X boost online....if I still have my PS4 when I go for that anyways.

• Like 1

YShwYVy.png

The Bridge

I believe this was a free game with PS+ some years ago and was something that I planned on playing as a part of the PS3 event. I ended up playing the majority of the game on my Vita since it is a cross-play game. It's a puzzle game with an MC Escher flair to it. The game is in black and white and has a lot of optical illusion style boards that you need to solve. The game is relatively short consisting of four acts with six puzzles per act. It starts off pretty easy and gets to be quite challenging. Most of the later puzzles would take forever to figure out without a guide. Even with the guide, a lot of the puzzles are hard to solve because of how precise you need to be with the placement of your guy(s) and the obstacles.

In the puzzles, the world can spin around or become inverted and you need to figure out how to use your surroundings to get to the door to leave the room. Many of the doors have a key that is needed before you can exit. I found the further I got in the game, the harder it was to play on the Vita. Some of the puzzles are pretty big and it gets really hard to see you character. I played on the Vita all the way up until the last three puzzles. I think there was some sort of glitch for me with Mirrored World IV - IV....there are two keys in that level, that according to the guide, are attached by a chain to the ground. You are controlling two mirrored professors at the same time and in order to get the key, both professors need to touch their key at the same time. According to the guide, one of the keys that is attached to the chain needs to have the chain extended in one direction as far as it can go or the timing will be off for both professors to touch theirs at the same time. On the Vita, these keys were not attached to a chain and appeared to be bolted to the floor. I was unable to get the keys to move and I spent a good thirty minutes trying to get them without success. I then downloaded the game to the PS3 to try on a bigger screen and I ran into the same problem....the keys were bolted to the floor. I then downloaded the game to my PS4 to try....in this version the keys were attached to a chain. I was able to then beat the level and move on. At that point I just finished the game on the PS4 since I was having trouble seeing on the Vita.

For a free game, it was fine. My only issue was that the later puzzles were not very intuitive to solve and I'm surprised that anyone figured out how to beat them. With how finicky gravity can be, the way you need to solve a puzzle seems inherently wrong because the professor doesn't seem to move in the way you are expecting....but then the slightest tweak will make it work. I would have thought most of the solutions wouldn't work if I was doing the game without the help of a guide towards the end so kudos to the people that figured this out....I sure as hell wouldn't have lol It's not worth more than $5 and while most of the game can be played on the Vita, you'd probably have an easier time of it playing on the PS3 or PS4/5. I'd say the game is only about six hours long, but the artwork is cool and I've definitely played worse.....not the most ringing endorsement, but if you already have it in your library it's probably worth playing....if you don't, I don't think you're missing much. 

• Like 2

Platinum #145

ytr3LId.png

Celeste

This game was a popular one during the recent Mental Health event and one that I'd heard plenty about. I don't love straight out platformers so I wasn't in a rush to get this one....but yet again I succumbed to some peer pressure on Discord and found myself playing it :) I generally enjoy games with platforming elements, but games that are just about the platforming give me agita. Spikes stress me out and pinpoint precision stress me out. Oddly enough, SMB didn't really stress me out, but I think it's because most of the levels are pretty quick and to the point. I wasn't as intimidated by this game due to the infamous 'Assist Mode', however I did want to give it a fair shot to play without. I promised myself I wouldn't use the assist mode until I at least got through the main game...B-Sides and C-Sides were going to be fair game however....I wasn't looking for a huge challenge.

The game itself surprised me quite a bit. The story is actually quite good and not just a throw away. Madeline is facing some inner demons and is trying to get out of a mental funk she is in. She decides to challenge herself by climbing Mount Celeste to see if it will help her clear her head and move on. During her trek up the mountain, she looks inward and tries to slay those inner demons. Through the power of the mountain, some guidance from some friends and some self-talk, she realizes that she doesn't need to slay her inner demons, but accept them as a part of who she is. Once she decides to stop fighting herself and accept herself, good and bad, she is able to focus her attention on getting up the mountain. The story does a good job of looking at depression and uses the mountain very well as a metaphor for how insurmountable her challenges seem. I really have to applaud Celeste for doing more than just being another platforming game.

The platforming is really pretty challenging....even in the normal modes. I tackled this game like I tackle most games....a blind playthrough followed by cleanup. I did level 1 blind and then used a map to pick up any missing strawberries, hearts and B-Side tapes I may have missed on my first run through. Once I finished everything in level 1, it was onto level 2 where I followed that same formula. There were several times throughout the game where the platforming tested my patience. While it was mostly very responsive....there were several times when I'd use the dash where I felt like it had me dashing in a direction I wasn't pointing. I also found the stamina to be frustrating at times. With no real timer to it....there were some really inopportune moments that I tumbled to my death. Similar to SMB though, most of the time a death didn't set you back too far and you could quickly learn from a mistake and move on. I tried to make it so if I started a level, I wouldn't play something else until I finished it up...but I wouldn't do more than one level in a day so I wouldn't get too frustrated.

Assist Mode is a mixed bag....while I probably wouldn't have played this game if that wasn't an option...it really trivializes the game into being not really being a game. Unlimited dashes and stamina and invincibility....you can just bum rush through everything and not even think about the platforming. I did use it for the B-Sides and C-Sides, but felt exceptionally dirty doing it. It reminded me of when I used to run in soccer as a kid. I was one of the kids that would round off the corner (cut it slightly) to make it so I would run slightly less than normal. One of the captains would yell at those of us that did that 'you're only cheating yourself!'. I was always fine with that since I hated running lol....but playing in assist mode made me think of him and those runs around the soccer field. After speeding through the levels, I know I missed out on a really good challenge....but at the end of the day, I just wasn't looking for that challenge at the moment. I won't lose any sleep over it or anything...but part of me wishes it wasn't there so I would've challenged myself. If I've learned anything about myself in these last few months of gaming, it's that I do not have any willpower when it comes to avoiding the easy button with some of these games. I took it with Hollow Knight and I took it here, but I know I'll look back and wish I didn't. In all fairness, if I felt that bad about it, I guess there's nothing stopping me from doing it legit...but considering how I play games these days....that'll never happen. On to the next!

Edited by Briste
  • Like 3