Briste's Diary of a Madman

Briste

On 14.6.2021 at 5:59 AM, Briste said:

Assist Mode is a mixed bag....while I probably wouldn't have played this game if that wasn't an option...it really trivializes the game into being not really being a game. [...] If I've learned anything about myself in these last few months of gaming, it's that I do not have any willpower when it comes to avoiding the easy button with some of these games. I took it with Hollow Knight and I took it here, but I know I'll look back and wish I didn't. In all fairness, if I felt that bad about it, I guess there's nothing stopping me from doing it legit...but considering how I play games these days....that'll never happen. On to the next!

That's actually the reason why I haven't played Celeste, and probably never will. First of all, I'm all for accessibility... This game is more than a platformer. It puts a big emphasis on the story it's trying to tell, and so I think it's cool that the devs want anyone to experience the game for what it is. 

But Assist Mode should disable trophies. I don't want to support the decision to have it NOT disable achievements and so I won't buy the game.

As you point out, it is the same with Hollow Knight. The difference is that I didn't know about the glitch for Hollow Knight, and so I pushed through. With Celeste, knowing that the option to take the easy way out is there just would not allow me to build up enough motivation to get everything done legit. 

There are enough awesome games out there to play, and plenty challenging ones as well. And so I don't feel bad for skipping this one. I just don't want to give it any of my time. 
And it goes the other way around, too.. how many people (especially on this site) would have skipped the game if it DIDN'T have assist mode? 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Arcesius said:

But Assist Mode should disable trophies. I don't want to support the decision to have it NOT disable achievements and so I won't buy the game.

I agree with this. If the point of assist mode was to make it so more people could view the story, then I think it's a good addition since the game is quite challenging. However, I do agree that we shouldn't be rewarded with the trophy if we decide to use it. I think that would have been the best compromise and I would be forced to bang my head against a wall to attempt to keep my profile at/close to 100%.

18 hours ago, Arcesius said:

There are enough awesome games out there to play, and plenty challenging ones as well. And so I don't feel bad for skipping this one. I just don't want to give it any of my time. 
And it goes the other way around, too.. how many people (especially on this site) would have skipped the game if it DIDN'T have assist mode? 

I agree with you here to a point. It is true that there are a lot of good, challenging games out there that if challenging games are your jam, you don't need to settle. For myself, I don't need every game to test my mettle though for it to be a good time. Some times I like a nice relaxing experience or something that is more story driven etc. You are a freak of nature when it comes to hard games....it's a part of your DNA lol I like to really challenge myself occasionally :) I don't mind mixing in the odd cupcake for an event or something. My overall goal is to have my trophy rarity on the stats page to be sub 40% (at like 40.35 right now) but it's just a minor goal. So long as I'm hovering around that 40% mark, I feel like I'm keeping enough challenging games in my repertoire, but not denying myself the chance to play a fun game like Miles Morales either.

I do have UR envy of your profile though if we're being honest lol

• Like 2

You're looking at a platformer that is akin to Super Meat Boy if Celeste actually had you doing those levels legit. Splasher and Super Rude Bear Resurrection are two other hard as nails platformers. I've only seen videos on those since I never played them myself, and they look downright brutal.

I already botched up my profile with six Sound Shapes stacks and two stacks of Aab's Animals, so having Celeste done on my profile with a bit of Assist Mode doesn't make a lick of difference to me when it comes to judging the trophy standards.

40 percent average rarity is actually pretty good. Going too far below that generally means someone is playing games deliberately for the challenge, which are reflected in the trophy percentages. I can't say rarity equals difficulty, as the Dark Souls games have proven to destroy that mindset.

I have more easy games on my profile than you and Arcesius combined. But I'm not trophy hunting just for the challenge, some easier games that I find enjoyable is something I generally pursue from time to time. If I was trophy hunting specifically for the challenge I would of already had 500 - 700 ultra rares to my name. But I'm not going to play games I'd otherwise never touch simply because they have a bunch of rare trophies. If the game itself appeals to me and I'm interested in playing it, then I will eventually play it. Surgeon Simulator was one of those rare exceptions, but I bought the bundle that came with I Am Bread, so I will have to play that eventually as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Briste said:

I agree with this. If the point of assist mode was to make it so more people could view the story, then I think it's a good addition since the game is quite challenging. However, I do agree that we shouldn't be rewarded with the trophy if we decide to use it. I think that would have been the best compromise and I would be forced to bang my head against a wall to attempt to keep my profile at/close to 100%.

I've always liked the idea of games having one trophy that you try NOT to pop for as long as possible, like Dark Souls 2's trophy for dying the first time. Celeste could've had something like that for activating Assist Mode, allowing hardcore gamers to prove their mettle by getting that trophy last. Doesn't make the platinum any harder, but at least it's a decent compromise.

I call it a scarlet letter trophy.

Dark Souls 2 is the only game I know that has one.

Lollipop Chainsaw has something close, though...

2 hours ago, Briste said:

My overall goal is to have my trophy rarity on the stats page to be sub 40% (at like 40.35 right now) but it's just a minor goal. So long as I'm hovering around that 40% mark, I feel like I'm keeping enough challenging games in my repertoire, but not denying myself the chance to play a fun game like Miles Morales either.

I've been (casually) shooting for sub-40% for about a year now and I'm pretty sure it's been hovering around 40.8% this entire time. I feel like the low 40's are where most people are likely to end up, unless you're activating planning out your games. I just don't want to get into the habit of avoiding games just because they have too many trophies with a high average rarity.

I want to get into the habit of avoiding games because they're shit. Like The Surge.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Briste said:

I agree with you here to a point. It is true that there are a lot of good, challenging games out there that if challenging games are your jam, you don't need to settle. For myself, I don't need every game to test my mettle though for it to be a good time. Some times I like a nice relaxing experience or something that is more story driven etc. You are a freak of nature when it comes to hard games....it's a part of your DNA lol I like to really challenge myself occasionally :) I don't mind mixing in the odd cupcake for an event or something. My overall goal is to have my trophy rarity on the stats page to be sub 40% (at like 40.35 right now) but it's just a minor goal. So long as I'm hovering around that 40% mark, I feel like I'm keeping enough challenging games in my repertoire, but not denying myself the chance to play a fun game like Miles Morales either.

Oh absolutely. I'm not saying that every game needs to be challenging at all! I'm saying that if I'm in the mood to play a challenging game, there are plenty of options out there that cannot be cheesed, and that I'd rather play one of those games instead of supporting one that didn't disable trophies with assist mode :) I play some chill games from time to time, too ?

The thing with average rarity for us completionists is... that DLC rarities are computed so arbitrarily that this statistic doesn't really mean much. But I enjoy seeing that number go down for sure. I'm not obsessed with it or anything, as I don't want it to dissuade me from playing games that would push it up (as you mentioned as well). 

I do have UR envy of your profile though if we're being honest lol

Lol that's just the games I enjoy... I don't play UR games for the sake of it... it just so happens that my taste in gaming seems to be niche enough that most games I enjoy tend to be UR... Just play stuff you have fun with! 

6 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

I have more easy games on my profile than you and Arcesius combined.

I mean, you also just have many, many more games on your profile overall than us two combined. The amount of easy games is a consequence. You don't go chasing after those easy as pie games either. 

3 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

I want to get into the habit of avoiding games because they're shit. Like The Surge.

I still don't understand why you hate that game so much. I wanted to answer to all of the negative points you listed on your review (that I don't agree with), but I think your mind is made up ?

Edited by Arcesius
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Arcesius said:

I mean, you also just have many, many more games on your profile overall than us two combined. The amount of easy games is a consequence. You don't go chasing after those easy as pie games either.

I don't play that Breakthrough Gaming Arcade garbage. Purely trophy whore bait.

3 hours ago, Arcesius said:

I still don't understand why you hate that game so much. I wanted to answer to all of the negative points you listed on your review (that I don't agree with), but I think your mind is made up 1f602.png

She has a pretty valid opinion and puts effort in getting her point across. Unlike that one guy who kept saying Nioh was the worst game he ever played and said Dark Souls was complete trash.

There's a difference between actually not liking something but putting effort in being fair and reasonable... and crying that a game was too hard for you so you won't bother to understand how the game mechanics worked. You might know who I'm referring to, I just burst out laughing whenever he made textbook rants on Nioh.

Edited by AJ_Radio
  • Like 1

Hey! ? Have wanted to comment on this for a while, but always kept forgetting to. It's a nice checklist you have, and it's very interesting to see reviews from a person whose life perspective is sorta opposite to mine, in terms of experience. 

The idea of having a platinum rain day (as you did recently) is enticing, but I know myself too well... my mind would just keep bugging me about not getting the last trophy I needed. ?

Good luck in future endeavors (especially Super Meat Boy ?), and all the best to you and your family. ?

• Like 1

On 6/16/2021 at 2:30 AM, Arcesius said:

Oh absolutely. I'm not saying that every game needs to be challenging at all! I'm saying that if I'm in the mood to play a challenging game, there are plenty of options out there that cannot be cheesed, and that I'd rather play one of those games instead of supporting one that didn't disable trophies with assist mode :) I play some chill games from time to time, too ?

Fair enough and makes sense. If you are going to put in that kind of effort to beat something challenging....it'd be nice to have something to show for it.

On 6/15/2021 at 9:05 PM, AJ_Radio said:

I already botched up my profile with six Sound Shapes stacks and two stacks of Aab's Animals, so having Celeste done on my profile with a bit of Assist Mode doesn't make a lick of difference to me when it comes to judging the trophy standards.

I don't think that botches a profile...I think a profile says more about a person than just a few games. Maybe it doesn't show what you want it to say about you as a gamer....but you have enough challenging games on your profile where you can tell it's usually more about the games and less about just a pure trophy count.

On 6/15/2021 at 11:35 PM, Cassylvania said:

I've always liked the idea of games having one trophy that you try NOT to pop for as long as possible, like Dark Souls 2's trophy for dying the first time. Celeste could've had something like that for activating Assist Mode, allowing hardcore gamers to prove their mettle by getting that trophy last. Doesn't make the platinum any harder, but at least it's a decent compromise.

I like this idea too. It would be a lot more fun for some of those really challenging games to have something like this. I agree that if this did have a trophy for using Assist Mode for the first time, it could be a good achievement to show where in the journey that you turned it on. It doesn't help with rarity % if that's your thing....but you could at least show how far you were able to get without help.

On 6/16/2021 at 2:30 AM, Arcesius said:

Lol that's just the games I enjoy... I don't play UR games for the sake of it... it just so happens that my taste in gaming seems to be niche enough that most games I enjoy tend to be UR... Just play stuff you have fun with! 

I can't lie....I have chosen a few games just based on the rarity. I actually chose SMB for that reason and I also bought Attacking Zegata for that reason....however AZ seems like a bad joke so I never really tried it. Some of it was morbid curiosity (looking at you Space Hulk).

On 6/16/2021 at 3:19 AM, DrBloodmoney said:

"Opinions are like assholes... in that yours is incorrect about the The Surge"

This made me lol Seems @Cassylvania has the 'hot take' of my thread so far ?

2 hours ago, Eagle said:

Hey! ? Have wanted to comment on this for a while, but always kept forgetting to. It's a nice checklist you have, and it's very interesting to see reviews from a person whose life perspective is sorta opposite to mine, in terms of experience. 

The idea of having a platinum rain day (as you did recently) is enticing, but I know myself too well... my mind would just keep bugging me about not getting the last trophy I needed. ?

Good luck in future endeavors (especially Super Meat Boy ?), and all the best to you and your family. ?

Thanks! I appreciate the kind words. Your profile doesn't have a ton of games yet, but it looks like you're choosing wisely when you choose something! Witcher 3 is on the short list of games I really want to play soon. I may play that one this winter as a nice, long game when it's cold out.

The platinum rain was really hard lol I usually try to pop that plat as soon as I can....so it took a lot to ignore that impulse. It started from me just wanting to pop all the Mass Effect games in order, but by the time I beat ME3, I had a good amount of games ready to go and then I just decided to wait. While it's cool to see all those games finished on the same day....I probably won't be rushing to do that again.

Thanks again and good luck to you too! 

• Like 2

Platinum #146

SOcZoqP.png

The Walking Dead: The Telltale Definitive Series

Well what an emotional rollercoaster ride this series was. I bought this game because I have enjoyed the other Telltale games I've played and generally enjoy the 'choose your own adventure' style of story telling. I have never watched the TV series, but from what I understand, this game has nothing really to do with the show. Spoiler alert, the stories are about the world after the dead rise and start eating people. If you get bit, you become one. Pretty standard zombie stuff with only one or two wrinkles thrown in. There are four and a half(?) seasons overall. Four that follow the story of Clementine, a little girl who is swept up in the madness of the new world, and one that follows the story of Michonne, a widowed mother of two who is trying to get rid of the inner demons that have been chasing her since the world came to an end. With Clementine, each season she's a little older, a little wiser, and a little more hardened. She is also an extremely likeable protagonist. The Michonne season is an off-shoot that has nothing to do with the main series. I ended up enjoying it. I didn't think I would like playing a story that didn't involve Clementine, so I played Michonne a lot less sympathetic than I would normally play someone in these types of games, and I ended up having fun with that story. I usually play as a trusting person (who ends up getting screwed, but I'll keep being me anyways!) With Michonne, I was not trusting and much quicker with the trigger than usual. I picked like two people I would trust and then was just super aggressive the rest of the time...for the most part.

It takes a looooong time to get through this series. Each episode is about an hour and a half to two hours long and each season has roughly five episodes. It's about ten hours per story so 40-50 hours to get through it all. I once again applaud Telltale for their ability to tell tales...you see what I did there ;). These games were heart-wrenching and emotional and filled with gut punches. While I found the stories to be compelling....these games were the most annoying of the Telltale games I've played so far. The reason I like these games, is I feel like the choices I make creates a somewhat unique gaming experience for me as I play through them. Here, I've never felt like my decisions mattered less than in this series.

Usually in these games, when you are faced with a tough decision...there are lasting implications to the story. Not here....these games are littered with 'tough choices' that end up being pointless due to how the story progresses. You get given a scenario to save person X or Y and it feels like this is a big decision....more times than not, it makes no difference who you save since the one you do will die shortly after anyways. It felt like they wrote a story and shoehorned every decision you make to fit into that story...whether some of the dialogue choices or decisions make sense or not. In those X-Y scenarios, I wish the game just made the choice for you so that the 'big' choices you do make actually have an impact....or they could just have created more story lines. I have to give credit to Quantic Dream since I never remember feeling like a decision was pointless in their 'choose your own adventure' games. Main characters can die in their games and it can completely change the story. Another scenario that proves the point of a one track story and happens quite a bit, is when you have to decide to help someone or not. More often than not, if you help them....they turn on you....if you turn them away they come back and rob you. In either scenario, the story moves along the same making that choice once again pointless. This mortal sin for a 'choose your own adventure' game was very prevalent in the first three seasons, but less so in Michonne and the Final Season. In those two entries in the series, I did feel like my decisions had more impact.  

My other big complaint with the series was how many loose ends were never really tied up or were hastily tied up to get to the next story line. For example, at the end of season two you have to make an enormous decision...I ended up choosing to side with the new blood instead of the old blood...and the game kind of ends on a big cliff hanger. My choice at the end of season two was never even referenced in season three. I thought I missed something or something got messed up, but apparently the backstory to what transpired between season two and season three hinges on a choice you make during the first episode in season three. If you go with one person, you get a flashback scene that explains what happens....if you go with the other, you don't. I went with the other and the major cliffhanger at the end of season two never came up once. I ended up Googling it after I finished season three to see what happened since I was like wtf?...

From that Google search, I learned that the save being carried over between seasons is a bit glitchy. Turns out the choice I made at the end of season two didn't carry over correctly to season three. The way I could tell is apparently Clementine has a different scar depending on what you choose at the end of season two. The scar my Clem had did not match my choice...but all of my other choices carried over correctly. The same thing happened during season four. At the beginning of season four, there's kind of a brief recap of the first season where it goes through some of the biggest choices you had to make and has you verify them through the flashback while Clem gets you up to speed. It wouldn't let me pick two of the big decisions I made since apparently it didn't fit in with the Canon of the series or something...It made no sense to me. One of the most impactful and emotional scenes of the series happens at the end of season one where you basically have to decide between having mercy on someone or letting them turn into a zombie....I choose the mercy route but that wasn't an option during the season four flashbacks. It was super annoying to me since I felt like that decision helped shape the character of the Clem that I played throughout the series. 

Despite these annoyances, I thought it was a really interesting story line. Clementine is one of my favorite protagonists of all-time now and I felt really invested in her character throughout. If I had to rank the seasons, I'd put them as Season one, Final season, Season two, Michonne, Season three. None were that bad and the reason season three came in last was because Clem played a supporting role in that story. Since Clem was the character I cared most about, I just agreed with everything she wanted to do anyway...it kind of made most of the decisions moot since my goal was to help Clem. If you played as Clem during season three, the story would have been better but instead you are introduced to a bunch of new characters that you don't really care about until the game is almost over. It just made it the weakest in the series.

This collection of games is a lot of work for a Telltale platinum, but if you spread it out enough, I think it's worth playing through. I wouldn't pay more than $20 for this series and the only reason I think $20 is reasonable is because you get four and a half games for it and $5 a season seems fair. If you want an emotionally impactful story and don't care much about whether you choices affect the outcome, than you'll probably enjoy this series. I mean Clem alone makes the series worth it, but you do have to look past a bunch of stupid stuff to enjoy it. I can really only recommend this game if you like the Telltale style of gaming and even that is a stretch since the 'gaming' part of it can be really annoying. You definitely won't lose any sleep by skipping it (and you might lose some sleep if you play it!)

• Like 4

19 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

The Walking Dead was the best thing TellTale Games ever produced. Everything after that was just more of the same that we came to expect. Still it was sad to see them go under a few years back.

I think I agree with you as far as the story goes. It was really well done...but I think most of the other games they did felt like you had more control over the direction of the story. I don't ever remember thinking, 'what was the point of that decision' in the other games and I thought that several times in this series. I still think that The Wolf Among Us is my favorite Telltale game with Guardians of the Galaxy probably being the weakest one I played.

• Like 2

On 6/21/2021 at 6:31 PM, Briste said:

I think I agree with you as far as the story goes. It was really well done...but I think most of the other games they did felt like you had more control over the direction of the story. I don't ever remember thinking, 'what was the point of that decision' in the other games and I thought that several times in this series. I still think that The Wolf Among Us is my favorite Telltale game with Guardians of the Galaxy probably being the weakest one I played.

Gotta agree with this one, Wolf Among Us was my favorite as well. It was a unique story with interesting choices. Guardians is close to last, but Game of Thrones takes the cake (mostly because they didn't have a chance to make more and left you hanging).

Edited by Grotz99
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Rally-Vincent--- said:

Any of you guys who liked Slay The Spire - go have a  look at Griftlands and see if that is something for you. @Cassylvania @det_gittes and who else was it?

Watched a review on Youtube and it looks pretty sweet. Thanks for the tip! I've added it to my wish list for now. I won't be able to play it right away so I'll see if it pops on sale, but it is definitely something that looks like something I would really enjoy!

Platinum #147

Fsv03iQ.png

LEGO Ninjago Movie: The Video Game

Another game I added that my son picked out. He really likes the movie and he also likes the show on Netflix so he was quick to pick this one after finishing LEGO Batman 3. This game isn't quite as crisp as the other LEGO games we've played together and it seemed a lot more chaotic on screen. This game also suffers from a lack of variety and only has nine campaign missions. It is much shorter than the other LEGO games I've played. It also is the worst of the bunch I've played too. Unfortunately for me, my son lost interest in this one pretty quick....it's not all his fault though, when he saw me playing as Miles in the new Spider-Man, he lost all interest in this game. He also has been playing Don't Starve on my iPad....not a game I would have gotten him into, but he saw my sister playing it on her iPad and by then it was too late to say no to him lol I also busted out my Raspberry Pi and hooked it up to show him some old NES and SNES games. He is in love with Zelda: A Link to the Past (top 5 game in history in my opinion) and we've been playing that a bit. Anyway, we weren't going to be coming back to this game soon, if at all, and I was tired of seeing it incomplete on my trophy list. I also needed a '5' game for the GBN event so focused on this game for the last week or so to finish it up.

I mentioned it wasn't as crisp and it is mostly due to the camera. It was really hard to control in certain areas and seemed to have a mind of its own. It was really hard to turn the camera to see things...by hard I mean it just wouldn't go as far as you may want or would return to center unprompted. The loading times also seemed exceptionally long for a LEGO game...but it is what it is there. Generally, the combat is your typical LEGO combat, however they did jazz it up a bit by having different moves you could do. You can mostly get by just spamming :square:, but in some of the Dojo fights, you need to get a high multiplier to up your stud count for a gold medal. In those situations, it pays to try and do some of the different moves since they can beef your combo up really quickly. Nothing is terribly hard and this game follows the same formula as any other LEGO game....run a campaign that mirrors the movie, collect gold bricks, unlock a buttload of characters and do some side quest-y stuff and races. Where this game really lacked was in characters. There's not nearly as many unique characters as the other game and a lot of the 'characters' you unlock are more different skins for the main ninjas. You've got normal Kai, Kai with no mask on, Kai in high school, original Kai and I think one other iteration of Kai. It's the same for all six main characters...so that's like 30 characters to unlock that is just the same characters....it wasn't nearly as interesting.

I had 'bought' this game last year when it was being given away for free, knowing my son would probably want to play it some day. If you didn't pick it up when it was free last year...there is no need for you to pay real money for this game. I think this is LEGO's version of shovel-ware....not that any LEGO game has a lot of polish, but this one didn't feel like they put a ton of time or energy into it. It was just a really uninspired game and unless you also have a seven year old that loves Ninjago or you need a '5' game for GBN....leave this one in the backlog....

• Like 3

Platinum #148

XueHut1.png

Secret of Mana

I had bought this game right when it came out. It was a pure nostalgia purchase. I had the game on the SNES back in the early 90's and I remember getting stuck somewhere and never finishing it. With no internet to look up what the next move was and no way my mom would let me call a gaming help line, I moved on to something else. Other than getting stuck and not finishing the game, I didn't remember a whole lot about it. I wasn't in a rush to play it when I got it, but I was looking for something shorter (I thought) to play on my Vita to help get me closer to Platinum 150 so I could pop Jotun. I'm just going to come out and say it....this is the worst game I've played that I can remember...and I remember playing Space Hulk. I can think of nothing at all redeeming about it.

For starters....only three enemies can appear on the screen at the same time. It was weird more than it was any kind of problem, however later when you are trying to farm the rare gear you need, it was somewhat frustrating to have things appear or not appear due to how many enemies were on the screen. The missing enemy would appear once you killed something to bring the enemy count below three...but you had to move the visible screen out of their spawn area (not into a new zone) and return for them to appear....it was super clunky and annoying. When you do fight the enemies, you swing your weapon and your stamina goes to 0%. If you miss, your companions do nothing since they won't attack until you hit something. You then have to wait two seconds for your stamina to go back to 100% if you want to do more than 0-5 damage. You could always swing at less than 100% so your companions will start doing something, but you won't do any real damage yourself. If you hit the enemy, most of the time it falls over.  While the enemy is on the ground, it won't take more damage. You have to wait for it to stand up before it will register any more damage, which makes fights longer than needed and ruins any kind of potential battle flow. It is really bad. This next mechanic wasn't uncommon in games back then, but the stun lock when you are casting magic or magic is cast on you is insane. It made the bosses a joke. You can start casting the next spell while the previous spell is landing on the boss. If you time it right, the boss be almost completely stun locked and will barely move the entire fight. It took any potential strategy or challenge out of the game. So melee sucked and magic was brokenly OP.

The music is also mostly garbage...which kind of surprised me for an SE game since most of the games I've played from them have at least had a decent sound track. I get that it is an SNES remaster...but man is it loopy, annoying trash. In addition to the garbage music...the god damn vendor does this stupid dance the whole time you aren't in the buy/sell screen. Has no effect on the game, just made it feel exceptionally cartoon-y. They did a decent job with the graphics and voice work for the remaster....but it wasn't nearly enough to save this turd.

Now for the worst part of this game....the trophy list. Getting all of the torso gear, head gear and arm gear was absolutely brutal....I got to the Promised Land zone, which is the first area you have to stop to farm some of the missable gear for that trophy, at about 14 hours of play time. There is only one dungeon after that zone and I didn't get the platinum until 32 hours of playtime. That's right....14 hours of actually game and 18 hours of going in and out of a room to fight a respawn hoping for a rare drop. My worst offender was the Ninja Gloves from the Dark Stalkers....it took me almost six hours of going in and out of the same room, killing two dark stalkers, before I got that drop.

Here is how drops work in this game (I looked it up since I thought mine was broken). When you kill a monster, it has a chance to drop a treasure box. According to what I read, it's about an 8/64 chance for a monster to drop a treasure box when it dies (it's 1/8 and it drove me nuts that it referred to it as an 8/64 chance lol) . It is then another 8/64 chance that the treasure box that drops has the rare item in it. So in theory, you should see a treasure box about every 8 kills and then get the rare drop about every 8 treasure boxes....would you believe it took NINETY-SEVEN treasure boxes from the Dark Stalkers before I got the Ninja Gloves? Then just to further piss in my Cheerios, when I was farming the Fiend Heads for the Axe Orb needed for the weapons trophy, I killed a Dark Stalker and got a second pair of Ninja Gloves in a row....I was so mad lol...actually, I was so mad at this game most of the time I was playing it.

Not only was I unlucky with these bullshit drops....but can you believe that one of the monsters you need to get a rare drop from is actually spawned from another monster? There is a slime that spawns monsters...and one of those monsters is the 'Eggplant Man'. So to farm this item, you have to go into a room that has the slime...wait for it to spawn a monster and hope that the monster it spawns is an Eggplant Man THEN hope that the Eggplant Man drops a chest and THEN hope that it is the rare chest. The good news is that the slime appears to be able to spawn monsters indefinitely so long as it isn't killed or spawns an enemy that replaces it...cause you know...only three monsters can be on the screen at once. The bad news is that the slime can spawn any one of five different monsters. While getting this rare drop wasn't as bad as the Ninja Gloves for me, it still took around four hours to get. The person who thought to add a rare drop to a monster you wouldn't even see if you killed the slimes too fast, should be dragged out back and shot. I had to restart the game once because something like that happened to me. One of the trophies in the game is for completing the 'Guide' which includes beating all monsters. In my first play through, I beat a zone where a regular 'Goblin' spawns a 'Ma Goblin'. Apparently, I was killing the Goblins too fast for them to spawn a Ma Goblin and I missed it. Clearing a zone removes the monsters and that was the only area a Ma Goblin appears so I had to restart the game. I was only like three hours in so it wasn't that bad....but I definitely paid closer attention to the trophy list after that.

At the end of the day, I can give you no good reason to play this game....there is literally nothing redeeming about it. At the time, the story might have felt more original since it was 30 years ago...but now, it is a basic RPG...save the world...you are our only hope...garden variety kind of story line. I guess there is one other redeeming thing about the game....it's an RPG and will count as points in the RPG event....but stay far, far away from this one. Honestly though, I like almost everything and even I think this game is bad so that should say something right there lol

Edited by Briste
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Rally-Vincent--- said:

In WWF, The Bushwackers and The British Bulldog were my favorites. Those were the days...

I also loved the Bushwackers. I liked the British Bulldog too, but if I remember right, he had a long time feud with Brett Hart, who was one of my favorites as well so I backed Brett.

The way WWE handled COVID-19 last year signaled the end of any support I had left for them. It's obvious Vince McMahon is long past his prime. The last few times I tried to watch WWE on satellite TV I ended up turning it off because it was so boring. The scripts are uninspired and lackluster. The Undertaker was the last guy I gave a shit about, and the sole reason I stuck for the product for as long as I did in my lifetime. But I've come to the realization that WWE will never be like it once was and I have moved on from it, probably for good.

I did WWE Legends of Wrestlemania a few years back. Still the easiest WWE game you can platinum, I believe there are only three WWE games with trophy support that don't have online. Basically got it at a bargain bin price because the game was already old. But it was certainly a treat to watch all the old footage they put into the game dating back to the 1980s to late 1990s/early 2000s.

This thread just goes to show there are plenty of people out there who are much older than I am who have known WWE from the very beginning. But even from my perspective, the product has changed so much it's almost unrecognizable to me. Eddie Guerrero will always be one of my all time favorites. It's a shame he died so young.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Haha congratulations on the platin! I told you that no god powers are harder then no dmg trophies :D glad you enjoyed it like i Do! 

In the last couple of days Eldest Souls released which is a Boss rush game as well. I will try it out, from the trophy list it has the same vibes like Jotun so maybe something for you to keep in mind.

• Like 1

On 8/4/2021 at 2:27 AM, Inuty said:

Haha congratulations on the platin! I told you that no god powers are harder then no dmg trophies :D glad you enjoyed it like i Do! 

In the last couple of days Eldest Souls released which is a Boss rush game as well. I will try it out, from the trophy list it has the same vibes like Jotun so maybe something for you to keep in mind.

Yeah, no god powers is no joke. A lot can go wrong there. I'll have to check out Eldest Souls....I have a ton of games that are 'up next' so we'll have to see when another boss rush game tickles my fancy.

It's been a busy week!

Platinum #151

hZGyNG4.png

Torchlight 2

This game was a suggestion by @Jens. He was also the person that suggested my last Diablo clone with Path of Exile and it turned out I really enjoyed that one so I gave it a shot. I didn't know anything about this game either, but between Jens and @Cassylvania, it seemed like a good chance to play some co-op with someone. Unfortunately, with my play time being later in the evening and Jens 6 hours ahead of me, we only got to play together once....the good news is that Jens was born with a horseshoe up his ass and he keeps a lucky rabbit's foot on his key chain just in case that isn't enough, and the time we hooked up to play he was able to pass on his Legendary Item to me for a trophy. I played all of NG, NG+ and 3/4's of the way through NG++ and didn't see one drop. I also played a full playthrough in hardcore mode in NG and nothing. Jens got one to drop on his first playthrough lol. I was able to transmute a Legendary Item when I got to around level 92, so I would have gotten the trophy on my own, but it's nice to put things in perspective about how the RNG Gods have some select favorite few :P 

While Jens and I didn't get to play much, Cass and I did our NG playthrough together. The game is fun enough, but there is absolutely zero challenge so it was a bit of us just running around beating the shit out of stuff. We never really had to come up with any kind of strategy for anything. I played as an Engineer with a badger name Honey as my pet and Cass played as an Outlander (can't remember the pet but remember always thinking it was an enemy and trying to kill it). I went with a quick sword/axe and shield combo for my build as opposed to the two handed great sword/axe or hammer that it seems like that character was designed to play with. Early on I put most of my points in Flame Hammer, Healing Bot and Shield Bash. With the ability to hold unlimited potions and no real penalty for dying (you can forfeit gold if you want to respawn where you died or in the same area, but it's free to respawn back in town) you could basically just straight up tank shit. I made :square: be shield bash and would just hold it down against bosses and use a mana potion if I ran low. At least the game had the decency to not make you have to mash buttons, you could just hold it down.

Later in the game, I invested points in Seismic Slam and really got to be lazy. You just run around and bash your foot on the ground and the enemies take some immediate fire damage, followed by some fire DOT. Once that is beefed up a bit....you don't have to do anything but run around and use that skill. Stomp the ground and watch your enemies fall. Flame Hammer is good for doing large damage to bosses and was the ability I broke 10k damage with, but for most of the regular enemies, Seismic Slam mows them down. Once we got through the NG run together, Cass and I parted ways since I wanted to get this one done faster and Cass had some other games to play first.

As far as Diablo clones go, this one is extremely similar to Diablo but easier. The plot lines are very similar (demonic being...end of the world...former good guy who got possessed....) and even some of the music felt similar. There is a wooded zone in the first chapter where the music sounded eerily similar to the music that played in town from the first Diablo. The graphics are pretty good and this game runs extremely smooth, especially in comparison to PoE. My biggest gripe with this game was just how easy it was. Because it was so easy, it got pretty boring. As frustrating as it was....in PoE when you died, you lost xp. It made it so you tried hard not to die, especially considering how long it took to level up. Plus I felt like you needed to develop a strategy in that game to combat certain bosses. You could just straight up tank shit with impunity. There was legitimately no penalty here. Technically you could lose gold, but there's an infinite gold glitch and you could just respawn in town for free. Dying truly meant nothing. In hardcore mode, there was permadeath, but you could play the game on Easy and with Spider Mines, you really never need to get too close to harm. I think I used like 10 potions in my entire hardcore run and half of those were from running into traps I think.

There's a decent amount of customization you can do with the characters, but it's pretty clear, I think, which are the best abilities. With four job classes, you could play the game several times and have a slightly different experience. One big drawback is the maps don't seem to randomize all that much. Some areas are identical every time you do them, while others change a little. There were a few additional side quests I found in NG+ and NG++, but nothing profound. Without doing all the side quests, you could probably get through the main story in 8-10 hours...but since you have to get to level 100, there's no point in skipping quests. I ended up playing through the game almost 4 full times and the first 3 I just skipped all the text and story since it seemed very shallow. My last playthrough I read it all just to see if the lore was at least decent, but I was right, it is pretty shallow. All in all this was a very average game. It ran smooth and there were no disconnects or crashes so at least that part of the game was good....but overall it felt pretty uninspired and was just pretty boring. If you like Diablo clones, it's not terrible, but there are lot better ones out there to choose from. 

The good news is this game gets me a '2' in the GBN event which makes it my 5th number which means I'll qualify for a badge. I know I said before that I was going to start doing some clean up on my outstanding games, however I just noticed I'm about 40 trophies away from a milestone and I have one picked out....so it looks like I'm starting a new game this weekend lol Then it will be time to finish up these outstanding games on my list.

• Like 3