Briste's Diary of a Madman

Briste

8 hours ago, Jens said:

Boosting the other Sonic Racing game when? You're the "I Need To Play The Whole Series Guy", so you clearly can't let the other one pass, right?

When it's free I'll think about it!

• Like 1

I wasn't a fan of Team Sonic Racing. Best thing it had going for it in my opinion was the framerate was better than those old Sonic kart racers on the PS3. I still have to go back and finish one of them (Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed).

Took me around 25 hours or so to get the platinum. Trophy guide still seems off to me. Not enough detail put into it.

• Like 1

On 5/4/2022 at 7:18 AM, AJ_Radio said:

I wasn't a fan of Team Sonic Racing. Best thing it had going for it in my opinion was the framerate was better than those old Sonic kart racers on the PS3. I still have to go back and finish one of them (Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed).

Took me around 25 hours or so to get the platinum. Trophy guide still seems off to me. Not enough detail put into it.

Yeah, I really didn't like it much to start either, but as my skill improved I started to enjoy it a bit more. I don't really like the 'team' aspect of it, especially when the AI is so bad, but it could be fun as a co op. I could see how when I was in college, I would have enjoyed playing this with my friends, but as a single player racer, the team part kind of sucked.

Platinum #165

AeK2haQ.png

Oxenfree

This game was on sale a couple of months ago for $0.99 and I snapped it up. I didn't know what it was about, didn't know when I'd play it, but I had heard that it was a good game and figure for 99 cents, even if it sucked I wouldn't care. With one of my favorite events started with the Trophies for Mental Health II, I saw that this game was recommended as a game that would qualify there and decided to start it now. 

The game is completely story driven in the 'choose your own adventure' style where the way you interact with characters changes some of the dialogue throughout as well as the ending. Due to the heavy story nature of this game, I won't say too much about it. The general premise is that a group of high school classmates decide to go to an island off the coast of their home town for an over night party. The island was a former army base that was decommissioned years ago and is basically abandoned at night. There is one resident who lives there all the time and other than that person, everyone is off the island when the business day is over. This makes it a great place for high school kids to cut loose and maybe get themselves into a little bit of trouble. There are tons of superstitions surrounding the island and the kids decide to do some investigating.

I won't say much else about the story except that I don't quite understand why people felt like it is a good choice for the Mental Health event. The back stories of the characters involve some general trauma (death, divorce) and your typical high school age issues (school/graduation stress, peer pressure), but most of the problems in this story seem to stem from sci-fi/supernatural influences. Those influences create extra stress and I guess that perhaps how you choose to deal with that stress could make the game qualify, but I didn't really find many lessons to be learned about mental health here. I thought it was just a very interesting story, that borrowed ideas from several different things I've seen before and put them together to make a nice little game, and less a story that shines a light on mental health issues.

One playthrough is probably 2-3 hours long if you don't do much investigating and I needed three playthroughs to get the platinum. I did my first playthrough blind, followed by the playthrough where you have to be silent throughout the whole game, followed by the playthrough where you have to have everyone hating you by the end. Only one of those playthroughs needs to involve getting all of the collectibles and doing that only takes about 20-30 minutes to do so there is no kind of grind at all. The cool thing about the game is that I feel like while only three playthroughs is needed for the plat (maybe only two if you don't do one blind), you could probably play it six or seven times and get a little different story each time.

The graphics are nothing special, but perfect for this game. The music is pretty eerie, which also plays well here. Overall, there is a lot to like here if you like story driven games. One thing that frustrated me early on is that the dialogue choices you need to select will pop up while someone else is talking. If you take too long to select something, you lose the opportunity to speak but if you select something on time, you'll interrupt the person speaking or you'll be talking over each other. I thought it was annoying at first since I felt like I was missing part of the story and thought it was laziness on the developers. However, after I started my second playthrough, I realized that it was intentionally done that way. Probably to mirror real life more accurately. People talk over each other and interrupt all the time and there's an element of frustration in real life when that happens too. I think they wanted to capture that kind of realness and frustration in the story here and it worked. I also realized on the second playthrough, that if the dialogue is really relevant to the story at that moment, the person who was interrupted will generally start up again. It was mostly the side conversations that didn't pick back up if you chose to speak and interrupt.

While I didn't find anything truly groundbreaking in this game, they did what they did well and the story had enough originality to it to keep it interesting. For $0.99, I doubt you'll find too many better games out there. It was polished and you could tell the creators cared about this game. I would recommend this game to anyone that likes a good story. There's really no puzzles or action and there's no need for a guide at all, other than to find the collectibles. While some trophies are 'missable' in a playthrough, the game is short enough where it doesn't really matter. If you ever see it for $5 or less, pick it up, you won't be disappointed!

Edited by Briste
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, Briste said:

Yeah, I really didn't like it much to start either, but as my skill improved I started to enjoy it a bit more. I don't really like the 'team' aspect of it, especially when the AI is so bad, but it could be fun as a co op. I could see how when I was in college, I would have enjoyed playing this with my friends, but as a single player racer, the team part kind of sucked.

Well I know you're considerably older than me and I think you mostly had kart racers in the late 90s/2000s. I played a lot of Mario Kart 64 and Diddy Kong Racing on the N64 growing up, but they're pretty hard to play now because they didn't age all too well.

I have Gran Turismo 6 which I'll be playing real soon. Can't really see myself even finishing Gran Turismo Sport or Gran Turismo 7, those games are far too long for my liking and I generally hate the online aspect in racing games. DriveClub is basically my limit, it had just enough challenge and events without overstaying its welcome. So I'll be looking forward to playing Gran Turismo, which I've never played before in my life.

I've played the newer Mario Kart games on the Switch with friends, but other than that I rarely play kart racers. Team Sonic Racing was the PS Plus offering in March which a lot of us picked up. May look like a casual kart racer to play with friends, but it's definitely not casual friendly in regards to trophies.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome accomplishment on Rayman Legends. Even more impressive on the Vita since you have to get a Diamond, which is extremely challenging since you have to be in the top 1 percent of players in any particular challenge.

As a matter of fact, it is the stupid online challenges that is keeping me from adding Rayman Legends onto my profile. I have played it before, and it is a fantastic platformer. But the platinum is a slog based on what everyone has told me. The best you can possibly get is two to three weeks on getting the platinum, but the problem is you need to score a Diamond on all your challenges which is basically impossible to do. With Gold, you can expect to spend two to three months working on that platinum trophy.

2 hours ago, Briste said:

Am I considerably older than you lol? I turn 41 this month but I thought you were in your mid 30's or so but I could be wrong lol I'm older for sure, but I'm not quite ready for my AARP card yet :P I didn't play a ton of racing games...basically just Mariokart on the SNES to Mariokart 64 to Mariokart on the Wii and that's it. I've never played many others. I did play Super Offroad way back (that game was awesome at the arcade) and RC Pro-Am further back than that on the NES but I never really got into your regular racing games. It's taking me forever to finish DriveClub VR since I simply get bored playing it. I'll get around to it sooner rather than later, but I'm not looking forward to it.

You're seven years older than me so I would say yes. You're the same age as my sister who practically grew up on a lot of the same stuff.

DriveClub VR, I can't do VR because I have extreme motion sickness. I can be reading a book in a car that is taking a couple turns on a 10 - 20 mile journey and that is enough to make me sick.

• Like 1

On 5/17/2022 at 8:19 PM, AJ_Radio said:

But the platinum is a slog based on what everyone has told me. The best you can possibly get is two to three weeks on getting the platinum, but the problem is you need to score a Diamond on all your challenges which is basically impossible to do. With Gold, you can expect to spend two to three months working on that platinum trophy.

It is a slog, but it's not one you have to put aside a ton of time for. Once you've finished the main game, you just have to log in daily and do the two daily challenges and once a week do four in a day for the two weekly. You could honestly spend just 10 minutes a day working toward the grind. You're absolutely right though, you need to go in expecting three months at a minimum to get it done, but since it's in small doses, it doesn't feel like quite the slog that RPG farming or open world fetch questing can be.

After roughly three months of a platinum desert, they seem to be raining in lately. Today I finished another platinum and it was for a game that I was extremely excited about.

Platinum #167

eZtzJXa.png

Horizon Forbidden West

Horizon Zero Dawn is probably in my top 10 favorite games of all time. I don't have nearly the discerning eye, memory, or scientific method that list guru's like @DrBloodmoney have, which means I probably have about 15-20 games in my top 10....but HZD blew me away when I first played it. Aloy is an amazing personality, the world was beautiful, combat was slick and the story just pulled me in. Based on my experience with that one, I was super excited when this game was announced and pre-ordered it right when I heard it was coming out. In all honesty, this game had extremely high expectations it had to live up to and it was somewhat destined to fail because of that. While Forbidden West isn't a bad game, it just fails to reach the lofty heights its predecessor had set for it.

Some things the game does well. The graphics and world is stunning. The desolation of the desert, the vibrance of the under water areas, the beautiful vistas from the mountaintops. It really is breathtaking. My son was watching me play a bit one day, (he loves Aloy too and really likes the machines as well) and as I ran around a bend in the mountainside, he said 'wow, that really is a beautiful place, huh Daddy.' When your 8 year old says 'wow' about the scenery, and comments about the virtual world you're exploring, I think it's safe to say they did a good job. The combat is still pretty smooth and responsive, however I found the reliability of the accuracy to be a little frustrating at times. I mean, I guess it's more realistic to miss your target some times, but when you're in the thick of battle with a Thunderjaw, you don't want to have your arrows skimming off the armor when you had the components in your sights. They added a few new weapons and status effects as well as created combo's with the melee attacks, but my bread and butter was still ranged with my trusty bow and arrow. While the scenery was stunning, the zones felt a bit smaller in this game. It didn't feel like you had to delve as far into the Cauldrons and everything just seemed a bit short. It wasn't a huge deal, but I figured it's worth mentioning.

Unfortunately for me, that was about the extent of the things I thought they did really well and I thought they missed a lot of opportunities. The flying mount was really cool and added a whole other dimension to the game...unfortunately you don't get the mount until you're about an hour or two away from beating the game, so you don't get to use it much. I mean, I get it....having the flying mount too early would trivialize the traveling around the beautiful worlds and exploring, but this felt like a missed opportunity to me. I'm sure it would make post-game cleanup a breeze, but I tried to do everything as I went so really don't have much of a need to play anything post-game.

This might be nitpicky, but I also had some issues with the voice acting. I felt like Aloy got better as the game progressed, but in the beginning of the game, she did this thing where everything was like a whisper-talk. Where everything she said felt like it was the most important thing anybody had ever said before. I mean, it kind of was, but at the same time I just found it a little annoying. By the end I felt like she was talking more normal, but it was a rough start. I also didn't like most of the voice actors for the Tenakth. Here is this war-like tribe of people, who only survive by their sword and their grit against the harsh realities of their homes and circumstances and they almost all speak perfectly, with crisp, clear, nice sounding voices. It just didn't match up with the image you're seeing on screen. I would have liked the speech for these characters to be more harsh and guttural to match their lives and the challenges they all went through. I wanted voice actors that smoke a pack or two a day. The voice actors for Regalla and Kotallo did an amazing job, but most everyone else just seemed miscast and out of place. Sylens was great again and I didn't have an issue with most of the other peripheral main characters, but the quest givers and NPCs just didn't fit.

Speaking of rough start, it took a while for me to get into this one. I probably should have watched a 'let's play' or something beforehand to be refreshed with the story, because I had forgotten a lot of the peripheral characters and had to be re-introduced to them. I completely forgot about Erend and Varl and even the Carja. My lasting memories from the first game were of Sylens, Hades, Zero Dawn and the big reveal. This game really suffered from that lack of a big splash like the first one had. In the first game, you spend the vast majority of the game trying to figure out where the machines came from and what they're for? Why is Aloy able to get into the areas she is able to? What is Zero Dawn and who Elisabet Sobeck? The lore in that game would fill in the pieces of that mystery as it slowly evolved and unfolded for you as you progressed in the game. The story here just felt like one giant fetch quest and the story doesn't hook you the same way.

The downside to HZD, is the story will never be as good as the first time you go through it. Once you know the mystery, it's cool, but the journey loses that mystique. It's the same in movies too. The Sixth Sense will neeeever be as good as the first time you see it. When you're mind is blown at the end, you can never get that back. Sure, subsequent viewings will give you the opportunity to pick up on the clues you may have missed leading up to the big reveal...but that impact moment is gone and cannot be recaptured. Forbidden West suffers from that same phenomena that a second viewing of The Sixth Sense has...you've seen the story already and kind of know what happens. You know why the machines are there and what their purpose is. You know who Aloy is and why she's so important. You know (for the most part) what the threat is. That 'wow' moment is lacking in this game and it is a glaring problem with the story.

My final big gripe about this game has to do with the side quests and whatnot. I won't spoil the story or anything, but I'll just say that it is clear that time short and they need to move quickly to complete their mission...yet most of the side quests in this game involve 'please go find my friend who was attacked by machines' or 'please go find our missing salvage' or 'please find me this part so I can build some armor'. Why, in the name of the Ancestors, would you stop to find find salvage when the fate of the world could be at stake if you take too long to complete your mission. I get that the game needs to have quests and I get that one of the things that makes Aloy so likeable as a character is her willingness to help anyone in need....but it just felt so stupid in this scenario. Some of the missions felt like Seal Team 6 decided to put their crucial mission on hold to go get a cat out of a tree for a stranger they passed in a warzone. It would have made waaaay more sense if they at least made the person you had to rescue have vital information, or a vital skill you needed in order to complete the task. Then you could justify the distraction from the main quest to help out. The quests just seemed like your basic open world quests and didn't really fit in with what was going on with the rest of the story.

I wanted to love this game, I really, really did, but it just missed the mark by a wide margin for me. It took too long to get going and by the time it gets going you have to pause to do some side quests that don't really make sense considering the gravity of the situation only to have an unsatisfying 'ending'. Not unsatisfying in TLOU2 kind of way where there is an ending, just a lot of people didn't like it, but unsatisfying in that it was pretty predictable how it was all going to go down. 

If you love Aloy and you want to see how the story progresses, then you should play this game just for those reasons alone. Under no circumstance would I recommend paying full price for this. A lot of my negatives above might be very specific to me, however I can't say you should spend anything over $20 for it. I'm going to pre-buy Horizon 3 probably when that comes out, but I won't have the same excitement that I did for this one (which probably means I'll like it more). It's not a bad game by any stretch of the imagination and there is a lot to like about the game, but it just is vastly inferior to the first game and I wouldn't get your hopes up if you haven't played it yet. Wait for a sale, continue the story, and you'll probably be ok with this one.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Briste said:

After roughly three months of a platinum desert, they seem to be raining in lately. Today I finished another platinum and it was for a game that I was extremely excited about.

Super glad I got around to reading your review! Horizon Forbidden West was a game I had a lot to say about it and I've been trying to find someone to talk about it with that goes beyond 1-2 paragraphs and you honed in on a few points I'd really like to hone in on.

however I found the reliability of the accuracy to be a little frustrating at times. I mean, I guess it's more realistic to miss your target some times, but when you're in the thick of battle with a Thunderjaw, you don't want to have your arrows skimming off the armor when you had the components in your sights. They added a few new weapons and status effects as well as created combo's with the melee attacks, but my bread and butter was still ranged with my trusty bow and arrow. While the scenery was stunning, the zones felt a bit smaller in this game. It didn't feel like you had to delve as far into the Cauldrons and everything just seemed a bit short. It wasn't a huge deal, but I figured it's worth mentioning.

Hmmm... I never noticed the reliability of the accuracy. In fact, I'd argue the arrow was a bit too generous at times with me clearly missing an enemy target and the game giving it to me anyway. Could have been my settings, I played on Hard mode but I know there are some customizable options available. I think you subtly brought up an issue with the game that the developers did a poor job of "forcing" upon returning players. They added all these brand new, fanciful, intricate weapons.... and never once did you or I feel obligated to use them lol. I too was happy with my basic ass Hunter's Bow and merely upgrading it to a higher rarity whenever I ended up in a new settlement and the opportunity presented itself. I legitimately thought the game had poor weapon variety until I did the challenges in The Arena and you are given pre-selected loadouts. Then I said "lmao whoops I just ignored all these other options for 40+ hours". In terms of length... I dunno man... I remember one of the Cauldrons being particularly lengthy. The one with the Tideripper I believe? Other side quests tho 100% ended a bit abruptly.

Unfortunately for me, that was about the extent of the things I thought they did really well and I thought they missed a lot of opportunities. The flying mount was really cool and added a whole other dimension to the game...unfortunately you don't get the mount until you're about an hour or two away from beating the game, so you don't get to use it much. I mean, I get it....having the flying mount too early would trivialize the traveling around the beautiful worlds and exploring, but this felt like a missed opportunity to me. I'm sure it would make post-game cleanup a breeze, but I tried to do everything as I went so really don't have much of a need to play anything post-game.

Completely fair take. I am someone who almost NEVER used mounts, even ground ones, for the majority of my play-through. I just preferred running as Aloy given the ease to collect materials. I basically used the flying Sunwing for the 2 necessary quests for the trophy and that was it. Even though I did a lot of side quests, I still only had 68.79% completion overall so if they ever added DLC I'd be able to use the mount and really be able to zoom through some areas I hadn't previously. 

This might be nitpicky, but I also had some issues with the voice acting. I felt like Aloy got better as the game progressed, but in the beginning of the game, she did this thing where everything was like a whisper-talk. Where everything she said felt like it was the most important thing anybody had ever said before. I mean, it kind of was, but at the same time I just found it a little annoying. By the end I felt like she was talking more normal, but it was a rough start. I also didn't like most of the voice actors for the Tenakth. Here is this war-like tribe of people, who only survive by their sword and their grit against the harsh realities of their homes and circumstances and they almost all speak perfectly, with crisp, clear, nice sounding voices. It just didn't match up with the image you're seeing on screen. I would have liked the speech for these characters to be more harsh and guttural to match their lives and the challenges they all went through. I wanted voice actors that smoke a pack or two a day. The voice actors for Regalla and Kotallo did an amazing job, but most everyone else just seemed miscast and out of place. Sylens was great again and I didn't have an issue with most of the other peripheral main characters, but the quest givers and NPCs just didn't fit.

I'd have to replay the intro of the game in order to notice that about Aloy. I don't remember it being too jarring. The shameful thing with regard to the Tenakth is that I very frequently tuned out conversations cuz I just... could not care less about some of the mindless jargon they'd spout sometimes. That is one of HFW's worst flaws IMO. So many dialogue trees. So much technical sci-fi nonsense that as someone who really loved the game even I couldn't tell you what X tribe leader talked to me about 3 minutes after the conversation ends. I agree though, Kotallo was fantastic and Sylens crushed it again. Felt like he was a bit underused to be honest.

Speaking of rough start, it took a while for me to get into this one. I probably should have watched a 'let's play' or something beforehand to be refreshed with the story, because I had forgotten a lot of the peripheral characters and had to be re-introduced to them. I completely forgot about Erend and Varl and even the Carja. My lasting memories from the first game were of Sylens, Hades, Zero Dawn and the big reveal.

Dude you and I both lmao. Do you remember those two characters at the very start of the game when you're with Sun King Avad and can reject/put off his advances and they're these two warriors acting like they're your best buddies and I am like I have never seen y'all in my life. This game has a large amount of that. I DID remember Erend... slightly less Varl. Other characters from the original I remember off the top of my head are Rost, the mother tsars over in the Nora tribes(none of their names, Theresa?), and that dude you can either choose to let live or kill on a side quest at the very end. 

My final big gripe about this game has to do with the side quests and whatnot. I won't spoil the story or anything, but I'll just say that it is clear that time short and they need to move quickly to complete their mission...yet most of the side quests in this game involve 'please go find my friend who was attacked by machines' or 'please go find our missing salvage' or 'please find me this part so I can build some armor'. Why, in the name of the Ancestors, would you stop to find find salvage when the fate of the world could be at stake if you take too long to complete your mission.

Good ol ludonarrative dissonance baby. The world is ending and we need to move quickly but yo I've REALLY gotta take care of racing these Tenakth folk on my Lamborgini Bristleback ?. That's fair. I think the mileage on that will differ greatly between players. I don't see a way to make the game sufficiently urgent with huge stakes while simultaneously not ripping away all freedom form the player and rail-roading them into a linear narrative. I think the open world is a HUGE part of what makes the Horizon games special and I don't see how you could force the player to focus on the main objective without taking away side activities. Personally, didn't really think about it when I played but fair for you to see the huge disconnect.

17 hours ago, Briste said:

I wanted to love this game, I really, really did, but it just missed the mark by a wide margin for me. It took too long to get going and by the time it gets going you have to pause to do some side quests that don't really make sense considering the gravity of the situation only to have an unsatisfying 'ending'. Not unsatisfying in TLOU2 kind of way where there is an ending, just a lot of people didn't like it, but unsatisfying in that it was pretty predictable how it was all going to go down. 

If you love Aloy and you want to see how the story progresses, then you should play this game just for those reasons alone. Under no circumstance would I recommend paying full price for this. A lot of my negatives above might be very specific to me, however I can't say you should spend anything over $20 for it. I'm going to pre-buy Horizon 3 probably when that comes out, but I won't have the same excitement that I did for this one (which probably means I'll like it more). It's not a bad game by any stretch of the imagination and there is a lot to like about the game, but it just is vastly inferior to the first game and I wouldn't get your hopes up if you haven't played it yet. Wait for a sale, continue the story, and you'll probably be ok with this one.

I'm a lil sad to hear your conclusion is down on the game but it's understandable. For me, Horizon has always been a bit less about the story and more so on the fun as all hell gameplay and danger you can get yourself tripped up in if you take on too many machines at once. I'm vaguely trying to remember the ending right now and IIRC...

Spoiler

it's the big baddie Eternals and their memory coming towards Earth which leaves open the Horizon 3: No Where To Run culmination of the trilogy 

I think on strictly mechanics and content, the game was well worth full price and I say that as someone who rarely spends money on full AAA titles at release. But I think the more I read about others opinions on the game I'm in the minority. The most popular YouTube critiques of the game are those lambasting it as formulaic. Maybe I just haven't played enough open-world games yet to find it stale. Nonetheless, thanks for sharing your 2¢ and I hope to see your avi around more frequently going forward ?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, realm722 said:

I'd argue the arrow was a bit too generous at times with me clearly missing an enemy target and the game giving it to me anyway.

I didn't notice it being generous necessarily, but I did notice that on more than one occasion, my arrow pulled a 'magic bullet' and seemed to curve towards a machine when it was clearly going to miss. I thought the range was a little wonky too actually. There were times I'd fire an arrow at a Thunderjaw or something giant, and the arrow just disappeared because I'm assuming it was too far away. I'd just move closer and try again, but I thought that was a small gap in the combat.

They added all these brand new, fanciful, intricate weapons.... and never once did you or I feel obligated to use them lol. I too was happy with my basic ass Hunter's Bow and merely upgrading it to a higher rarity whenever I ended up in a new settlement and the opportunity presented itself. I legitimately thought the game had poor weapon variety until I did the challenges in The Arena and you are given pre-selected loadouts. Then I said "lmao whoops I just ignored all these other options for 40+ hours". In terms of length... I dunno man... I remember one of the Cauldrons being particularly lengthy. The one with the Tideripper I believe? Other side quests tho 100% ended a bit abruptly.

lol I thought the exact same thing. Outside of the bow and spear, I would occasionally use the sling shot if I wanted to but some sort of debuff on a machine, but that was it. Who had time to learn the boomerang thingy or whatever that spear launcher was? I also didn't use many combos beyond the light > light > heavy or light > light > light > heavy. It was mostly aim for components and try for stealth kills or dodge roll around until my slow down timer was refresh and pick apart components again. I appreciate what they did to try and diversify the combat, but as you pointed out, outside of the forced pit or hunter scenarios, we never felt obligated to use them.

Completely fair take. I am someone who almost NEVER used mounts, even ground ones, for the majority of my play-through. I just preferred running as Aloy given the ease to collect materials. I basically used the flying Sunwing for the 2 necessary quests for the trophy and that was it. Even though I did a lot of side quests, I still only had 68.79% completion overall so if they ever added DLC I'd be able to use the mount and really be able to zoom through some areas I hadn't previously. 

I also ran 98% of the time as Aloy. Riding a mount was a bit clunky (except for on the Sunwing) and I only rode the Charger in that first quest and then the Raptor one a couple of times towards the end to have a buddy help me fight. I tried to do everything I could as I went until I just wanted to move the story along. It was probably right about the time I hit level 50 that I started to skip the side content and just follow the main quests. I haven't checked my overall completion but it's probably around 70% as well.

I'd have to replay the intro of the game in order to notice that about Aloy. I don't remember it being too jarring.

It didn't last that long, but I remember thinking at the time 'oh man, they made her talk like Ray Lewis....' After re-watching the opening clip from below, it may not have been as bad as I thought, but she was quite a bit 'breathy' in her speech. Compared to how much more natural Varl sounded, I was nervous for how the rest of the game would go.

That is one of HFW's worst flaws IMO. So many dialogue trees. So much technical sci-fi nonsense that as someone who really loved the game even I couldn't tell you what X tribe leader talked to me about 3 minutes after the conversation ends. I agree though, Kotallo was fantastic and Sylens crushed it again. Felt like he was a bit underused to be honest.

It's funny, you and I both see this as flaws but for different reasons. I actually enjoyed the technical sci-fi nonsense lol While I agree that the combat and overall feel of the game was phenomenal in HZD and is easily a huge part of what made that game great, it wasn't what made that game memorable and in a spot in my top 10 for me. I absolutely loved the story in the first one. I went out of my way to read all of the information on the collectibles to add context and depth to what the story was providing. I was blown away by the reveal and just remember thinking how cool of a concept it was. I wanted more of that and didn't feel like there was enough or that the dialogue honored the setting the story took place in while you ignored it for being too much lol I do agree that Sylens was underused. After Aloy, he's the most interesting character in the game. I'd play a DLC where you play as him and see where he came from.

Dude you and I both lmao. Do you remember those two characters at the very start of the game when you're with Sun King Avad and can reject/put off his advances and they're these two warriors acting like they're your best buddies and I am like I have never seen y'all in my life. This game has a large amount of that. I DID remember Erend... slightly less Varl. Other characters from the original I remember off the top of my head are Rost, the mother tsars over in the Nora tribes(none of their names, Theresa?), and that dude you can either choose to let live or kill on a side quest at the very end. 

lol I remember those two characters from the very start in this game because I had absolutely no idea who they were from the first game. I remember thinking, 'oh man, I'm going to have some real trouble following this if obscure characters from the first one are making appearances like this.' Thankfully, that was never really a problem, but yeah I pretty much only remembered Aloy, Sylens and Elisabet coming into this one. 

Good ol ludonarrative dissonance baby. The world is ending and we need to move quickly but yo I've REALLY gotta take care of racing these Tenakth folk on my Lamborgini Bristleback ?. That's fair. I think the mileage on that will differ greatly between players. I don't see a way to make the game sufficiently urgent with huge stakes while simultaneously not ripping away all freedom form the player and rail-roading them into a linear narrative. I think the open world is a HUGE part of what makes the Horizon games special and I don't see how you could force the player to focus on the main objective without taking away side activities. Personally, didn't really think about it when I played but fair for you to see the huge disconnect.

I completely agree here, I just wish they were more creative with making the side quests meaningful. To your example of racing lol, that could have easily been a post-game quest that unlocks some special mount that becomes to Aloy what Silver was to the Lone Ranger. I feel like there could have been some more imagination than, 'please get this special gizmo so we can put on an amazing light show'. Maybe you get that special gizmo for the light show, but it's because that engineer won't make you the armor you need to be able to swim under water. Every time I was doing that, I just kept on thinking how this does not help Aloy at all in the overall quest of the game. Considering the urgency with which she speaks during the main quest line, it just was weird for her to say, 'sure, I'll find that lost Carja stranger who wandered into your camp and then just left'. Even if some of those quests turned out to be dead ends so there could be more of them, at least she was working towards her final goal. They did that with Hekkaro so I don't see why they didn't do that more. Hekkaro wouldn't let her into the temple until she helped him. That kind of quid pro quo makes sense in the environment they lived in.

20 hours ago, realm722 said:

I'm a lil sad to hear your conclusion is down on the game but it's understandable. For me, Horizon has always been a bit less about the story and more so on the fun as all hell gameplay and danger you can get yourself tripped up in if you take on too many machines at once. I'm vaguely trying to remember the ending right now and IIRC...

Honestly, it's not a bad game at all, it was just the huge level of love I have for the first one that had me a bit down on this one. There's only one Michael Jordan and no matter how good Lebron is, he'll never be Michael. Forbidden West is a bit more Lebron.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Briste said:

Honestly, it's not a bad game at all, it was just the huge level of love I have for the first one that had me a bit down on this one. There's only one Michael Jordan and no matter how good Lebron is, he'll never be Michael. Forbidden West is a bit more Lebron.

Completely random response here. 

Lebron is a prick. It’s the same reason why I hate Floyd Mayweather Jr and Aaron Rodgers. 

The modern Space Jam with Lebron is one of the worst films I’ve seen. 

I grew up with the original Space Jam with Michael Jordan, so I was already a big fan. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Platinum #168

Qq1hKmN.png

Figment

This is another game that I'd never heard of, was not on my radar and would have never played if it wasn't for a Discord chat. I was busy bouncing between Jurassic World Evolution 2, DOOM Eternal, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 and Genshin Impact to really think about starting something new. However, some people I'm chat with in Discord have a 'new game Saturday' thing going on and this game was the new game of the weekend. One person played it, and was enjoying it enough that another person decided to give it a try. It's currently on sale for just over $2 so it was worth a look. Everything on my current docket is a bit of a slog so I figured I'd join in on the new game weekend and give it a look. Low and behold I played it and enjoyed it :)

This game tackles mental health issues and is not very subtle while doing so. The whole thing takes place within the mind of an adult who has experienced a recent trauma. The game made me think of 'Where the Wild Things Are' mixed with Dr Suess and a dash of MC Escher. You play the part of Dusty, the jaded embodiment of courage, who looks to be wearing a costume plucked from 'Where the Wild Things Are' and dwells within the mind of the subject. He's pretty much checked out and just wants to sit in his rocking chair, sipping his iced tea while flipping through the pages of his scrapbook, remembering the glory days. All's well until some peppy bird named Piper comes to ask for your help to fix the major trauma that we've recently experience and our host needs the help of his mental courage to escape. Dusty can't be bothered since he's too busy looking for ice for his drink, and really doesn't care at this point what happens. He's retired. Fortunately for Piper, while Dusty is off fetching ice, a Nightmare comes and steals his scrapbook. Since the scrapbook is all dusty cares about at this point, he's determined to chase down this shitbag and get his book back. He dusts off his wooden sword and hops in the saddle again.

So that is pretty much the story premise...navigate a trauma filled mind to retrieve your stolen scrapbook. The game is mostly puzzles (none terribly hard, but fun enough to figure out) and there is some light combat involved with a couple of missable trophies surrounding the combat. Much like Link in Zelda: A Link to the Past, you have a normal attack and a powered up spinning attack. You have to kill two enemies at the same time with the power attack for one trophy and hit three enemies with one power attack for another. Beyond that, nothing is missable and you can just enjoy the story and the puzzles. The setting reminded me a bit of Tearaway on the Vita and Ghost Giant on VR. There are only a few zones with one taking place on the creative/imaginative side of the brain and the other on the concrete/logic side of the brain. On the creative side, it was more whimsical and some of the background seemed like it was made from construction paper. This was less evident on the logical side of the brain. 

In any case, the settings were quite interesting and at times, felt like you were in an MC Escher drawing (only in color and less trippy). The puzzles general consist of finding the correct colored 'battery' to unlock or move parts of the setting to progress through the mind. Not all of the puzzles involve a battery, but many do. As you navigate through the mind, you need to keep your eyes open for the only collectible within the game, which are memory spheres in the mold of Inside Out from Pixar. My favorite part of the game was probably the music. Music played a large role in this game and it comes from many directions. Some puzzles involve making specific music, while other times the music may be coming from plants you pass by. The real star of the music comes from the Nightmares themselves. There are three nightmares in all that need to be defeated in order to finish the game and each taunts you by singing songs. One is a Plague Doctor looking dude that throws vials of farts and poop at you (seriously), one is a French Spider that's gumming up the clockworks and the last is the main antagonist that stole your stuff. All of their songs were entertaining and were a highlight for me in the game.

While I enjoyed the game quite a bit, it's not a masterpiece and had several issues (mostly surrounding the trophies). I'd say that about half of my trophies popped when they were supposed to. All of the other half popped early, except for one that needed some coaxing to pop at all. All of the boss trophies popped when they should have and so did the combat trophies. The one trophy for getting the memory from Kettle Brothers wouldn't pop at first. That trophy involves getting three brothers to 'put the kettle on!'. The last brother needed a battery for power in order to light his kettle. The first time I hooked up the battery, he just put the kettle on and told me to go get his brothers to as well. I ran all over the place to check the other brothers (which I was certain I'd already done) only to confirm they already had their kettle on. I went back to the first brother and he kept saying the same thing. I thought I'd glitched out the trophy, however a few times of unplugging the battery and plugging in back in and talking to him after each attempt, he finally acknowledged that all three of them had the kettle on and gave me my memory. The rest of the trophies popped early. The one of the trophies for knocking on all the doors popped before I had event visited every zone in the area. All of the trophies for defeating all of the monsters in a zone popped long before I killed them all. The trophy for finding all of the memories also unlocked before I had found the last memory.

The good news was that I didn't encounter any other bugs in the game, but it's pretty nerve wracking as a trophy hunter when things aren't popping when you expect them to. Either you fear you've glitched yourself out of something or you fear that the trophies look to be earned in an impossible order. While it doesn't ruin the experience, I think it's important to point out that the trophy pops were fubar. This game is criminally under owned. Currently only 428 people have played the game. You'll be hard pressed to find a better game for $2. It takes about 5-8 hours to beat and is definitely worth picking up! 

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I can’t comment on the new Leisure Suit Larry, but those old games from decades ago were golden. They were definitely not for kids, as they dabbled in adult themes including showing scantily clad women. Not something kids should be exposed, and that definitely applies to today’s social media where it’s far easier to accidentally stumble onto such content. 

I think that the PS3 era Leisure Suit Larry game was awful according to most people I talked to that played it. May give this newer game a shot. 

• Like 1

On 6/27/2022 at 0:16 PM, Rally-Vincent--- said:

Back in the day, they were considered quite risqué, if I remember correctly, even though they were harmless.

Oh definitely. I wasn't old enough back then to buy the games on my own, but even if I was able to my parents probably would of been disgusted.

Sierra On-Line is an iconic game company. If this new Leisure Suit Larry is partially as good as the old games then I'm already a fan. Sometimes you just need to take a break from reality and laugh at all the puns and antics.

• Like 1

On 6/26/2022 at 7:12 PM, AJ_Radio said:

I can’t comment on the new Leisure Suit Larry, but those old games from decades ago were golden. They were definitely not for kids, as they dabbled in adult themes including showing scantily clad women. Not something kids should be exposed, and that definitely applies to today’s social media where it’s far easier to accidentally stumble onto such content. 

On 6/27/2022 at 3:16 PM, Rally-Vincent--- said:

Back in the day, they were considered quite risqué, if I remember correctly, even though they were harmless.

I had played Lounge Lizards and Shape up or Slip Out! before these new ones. Lounge Lizards was mostly over my head as a kid since you had to type in commands and the graphics were so bad that a child wouldn't understand what was going on with the innuendo only. I remember finding comedy in writing 'Pee' when you were standing in front of the toilet and watching Larry go 'AHHHH' or writing 'Poop' and seeing him sit on the toilet with a newspaper. That and playing black jack at the casino was good enough for me as a kid and I had no idea about the sex worker in the back room or even what a 'Leisure Suit' was, but Shape up or Slip Out was definitely risqué. 

It was mostly harmless, but did broach a lot of taboo that would be deemed funny at the time (trans/gay jokes, fat/body shaming, etc) and would not be seen as comedy by many today. I remember one of the girls that he was about to hook up with had her dress rise in an area that Larry wasn't expecting. Another girl he was chasing had a great figure up top but when she came out from behind the counter, had a huge lower body. Those kinds of things were largely 'acceptable' things to joke on but would be very low hanging fruit today and is viewed as unacceptable to joke about. They've made the focus more on Larry's buffoonery and less about the physical characteristics of the people he's pursuing. The comedy is still there, but it's less risqué and more socially appropriate.

I can find the humor in most situations and take the games as the grain of salt that they were made with and have largely enjoyed them. I've started the latest Leisure Suit and it follows the same mold so far. I think I liked Don't Dry better so far though.

33 minutes ago, Briste said:

I had played Lounge Lizards and Shape up or Slip Out! before these new ones. Lounge Lizards was mostly over my head as a kid since you had to type in commands and the graphics were so bad that a child wouldn't understand what was going on with the innuendo only. I remember finding comedy in writing 'Pee' when you were standing in front of the toilet and watching Larry go 'AHHHH' or writing 'Poop' and seeing him sit on the toilet with a newspaper. That and playing black jack at the casino was good enough for me as a kid and I had no idea about the sex worker in the back room or even what a 'Leisure Suit' was, but Shape up or Slip Out was definitely risqué. 

It was mostly harmless, but did broach a lot of taboo that would be deemed funny at the time (trans/gay jokes, fat/body shaming, etc) and would not be seen as comedy by many today. I remember one of the girls that he was about to hook up with had her dress rise in an area that Larry wasn't expecting. Another girl he was chasing had a great figure up top but when she came out from behind the counter, had a huge lower body. Those kinds of things were largely 'acceptable' things to joke on but would be very low hanging fruit today and is viewed as unacceptable to joke about. They've made the focus more on Larry's buffoonery and less about the physical characteristics of the people he's pursuing. The comedy is still there, but it's less risqué and more socially appropriate.

I can find the humor in most situations and take the games as the grain of salt that they were made with and have largely enjoyed them. I've started the latest Leisure Suit and it follows the same mold so far. I think I liked Don't Dry better so far though.

It was a different era and a different time. Too many people today would deem this offensive, sexist, raunchy and pervert level of intolerance.

The series was created before I was even born, and I was completely unaware of it even existing until I stumbled upon this Let's Play that this dude did over a decade ago:

Based on what you said about Leisure Suit Larry: Wet Dreams Don't Dry, I may pick it up. It's definitely not for everybody, especially for those who are easily offended because it touches upon a lot of themes that are inappropriate for children.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Platinum #170

QSODPtv.png

Leisure Suit Larry: Wet Dreams Dry Twice

As I mentioned in the previous review, I had bought the sequel to Wet Dreams Don't Dry as part of the combo pack sale. Because I'm me, I wanted to make sure I got this platinum consecutively with the first one. Unfortunately, I did not enjoy this game quite as much as the first one. The gameplay is near identical as this is just a continuation of the story, however the trophy list had one annoying trophy and it stopped doing the thing that makes Leisure Suit Larry games funny...which is Larry failing at every attempt at scoring.

The previous entry leaves off with Larry's dream girl, Faith, going missing and Larry is determined to find her. She went missing after a storm hit the Caribbean while she was drifting around on a stalled boat. She was suffering from amnesia due to a knock in the head and her last act before the storm hit was to send the data from her PiPhone to the last name she could remember, which was good old Larry Laffer himself. This game picks up with Larry's PiPhone receiving the data transfer and obtaining the last known whereabouts of Faith. After crafting his own raft, he sets out after the signal. Larry gets caught up in his own storm and washes ashore an island where he finds a clue that leads him to believe that Faith washed up on the same island. The bulk of the game revolves around Larry's investigation on this island, and much to my disappointment, Larry ends up having sex like five or six times during his quest.

Some people might be thinking, 'Good for Larry! He deserves some action after all of his failures.' But the problem is, most of the best humor of the prior games surrounds how his search for love ends up blowing up in his face. It was a little weird to not only see him succeed, but succeed so easily and so many times. I also didn't like the main antagonist very much in this game. He supposed to be a caricature of the Gangnam Style dude, but it just really wasn't funny and didn't really make any sense in terms of the story. I get it, it's a Larry game so it doesn't have to make sense, but this really made no sense at all. Basically, he's the evil villain trying to get the algorithm that Faith created to make the PiPhone have AI. He plans to use this algorithm to create sex bots for reasons. But, he also needs to find Faith because he needs her to get the algorithm and he hires a deadly assassin to chase after Larry.

The story was extremely weak here and when that is supposed to be the forte of your game, that's a problem. The game is a bit longer this time and the puzzles are a bit more challenging, but there's nothing unique about this game or new. It's just another point and click game with crude humor that too often missed the mark for me. The biggest bummer for me was the fact there is a trophy for completing the game in the Leisure Suit and a trophy for completing the game in the Wedding Suit. You pick your outfit about ten minutes into the game so that second trophy requires basically another complete playthrough. If the game was better, I wouldn't have minded and thankfully the game can be completed in about 3-4 hours if you skip the text, but I would have preferred just the one playthrough with this game.

Despite my lukewarm feelings toward this game, I'd probably still play another if one comes out. While it's not as edgy as it used to be, it still has that nostalgia twang for me and the games are short enough to playthrough without it being that terrible. I wouldn't recommend paying full price for this and probably isn't worth playing at all unless you've played the previous one. If you don't like the genre or the crude humor, you can pass on this series without feeling like you've missed out on something, however if you do like the genre and you can get the series for the $11 I did, then I'd say go for it since that's not a bad price for two games.

I've been slacking on my reviews as I finished this game and two others on the same day over a week ago, but my plan is to get them all done this weekend. 

• Like 3

Platinum #171

mN1FWfy.png

Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl

This was one of the 'free' games last month with PS+ and was never a game I planned on playing. I always get all the monthly games, because you never know, but I never really got into the Smash Bros series and this seemed like it was going to be a cheesy knock off. If I don't like the signature game from this style, why would I like this one? Well despite my intentions to not play this game, my son ended up seeing the graphic for it and asked what the Sponge Bob game with the Ninja Turtles was. I told him it was a fighting game with Nickelodeon characters and he said he wanted to try it. Well so much for skipping this one lol.

The game is extremely clunky to get used to first. Apparently the people who programmed the controls for this game have never played video games before. Honestly, who makes :triangle: the jump button? It took me a bit to figure out how to jump initially. I was expecting jump to be simply up on the D-Pad like every other fighting game I've played, but that wasn't doing anything. I then tried the next most obvious choices in :cross: and :circle:, but again nothing. When I finally got to :triangle: and jumped...I could only shake my head. What an unintuitive system of controls. I ended up switching the controls around to something that made more sense and then I got to playing with my son.

While I wasn't impressed at first, my son was cracking up laughing with how much fun he had being The Shredder beating the snot out of Sponge Bob. At first I was letting him win a bit since he was having so much fun seeing my character go flying off the screen, but then he got cocky so I had to play for real for a bit. We played for about 30 minutes and then it was bed time, but in that time a few trophies popped, so now I was committed to finishing. The trophy list didn't look too bad and in the end, it wasn't at all. I was able to bang out the online trophies relatively easily. I did a couple of quick plays and ended up finding a dude that was just running off the edge of the board and dying. I got to afk for 20 minutes while he did that and got the 50 quick play matches done like that. The ranked match play took a bit longer, but was again nothing hard. Even the hardest trophies ended up being relatively easy.

From screwing around with my son, I discovered that Catdog was my favorite character to play. His power punch where his roided arm packs a wallop was pretty good for the 'challenging' trophies. I used him to beat Arcade Mode on hard and I was able to do it without losing once. I was expecting it to be a bit harder, but even on Very Hard, the AI wasn't much. You could pretty much stand still and keep punching them. The trophy for beating 1 vs 3 level 9 CPU players ended up not being bad either. I chose the zone where the platforms move from left to right constantly and if you stand on them they start to sink. If you let it sink low enough, The CPU will jump down to get you and they'll just fall down. It only took a few tries and I was successful. With the 'hard' trophies out of the way, it was now just a matter of finishing the 'Sports' games and Arcade mode with each character, which on Very Easy is a breeze. The sports mode was a joke. If you put the CPU to level 0, they don't move. You can just shoot at the goal and score without any interference. Arcade mode on Very Easy wasn't much harder than that.

Overall, the trophy list was exceptionally easy. The game itself is mediocre, but is a lot of fun with my son. I won't be deleting this one for a while because he really looks forward to playing it together. While I let him win a bit at the beginning, he's now gotten the hang of it enough that he can win on his own some times. This is one of those games that was absolutely meant to play with other people. If you have a young kid that likes Nickelodeon, this is probably a great game to play. If you do not, this game is very meh. I was a little disappointed in the character selection. There was nobody from shows I used to watch when I was a kid really. There was Ren & Stimpy and Powdered Toast Man...Garfield is there, but I never thought of him as a Nickelodeon character and the same goes for the Ninja Turtles. Not sure why Raph and Donnie weren't included but I would have also like to see Doug or the Rugrats or something.

For a 'free' game, I got my money's worth and I am having a lot of fun with my son. Having said that though, this game is easily one you can bypass without missing anything. If you like Smash Bros style games, it's an acceptable substitute. If you want a short and relatively easy plat, this also isn't a bad choice as nothing took me more than a few tries. I'm happy I played it though since it's another game I can add to the list of things to play with my son.

• Like 4

I have a niece and nephew that live not far from me. We generally just play Nintendo games, which unfortunately don’t have any achievement list but that’s just whatever. 

Sounds like your little son is obedient, which I cannot say the same for my nephew. He’s only seven, not quite old enough to keep his attention to any game but that’s perfectly normal in this day and age. 

Just looking at kids now makes me feel old as fuck. They got all these entertainment venues at their disposal via modern day live-streaming and over 25 years ago, I was happy just to have a series of local TV channels. 

We certainly didn’t have many games back then either. I had around five Nintendo 64 games and to get another one I either had to wait several months (and do good in school), or go down to the Blockbuster video rental store to rent that one game that might suck. Kids today have no clue what we went thru and they shouldn’t. It was a different time. Because we had a lot less games we often kept playing them over and over. My nephew has far more than I ever did and his attention span is pretty bad. My sister struggles to keep him focused on his school studies. 

You’re lucky to have a son with you as you trophy hunt. Not everybody can say that.

• Like 1

On 7/18/2022 at 6:22 AM, AJ_Radio said:

Sounds like your little son is obedient, which I cannot say the same for my nephew. He’s only seven, not quite old enough to keep his attention to any game but that’s perfectly normal in this day and age. 

lol I wish he was a better listener. He enjoys games so much, the problem becomes keeping him off them. We let him choose what he wants to play for about 30 minutes a day, but lately he has figured out how to access games when he's not supposed to. We all sleep with 'white noise' in our rooms. I started doing it when I was working 3rd shift and use an app on my phone. For my oldest I use like a second generation iPod touch that can't keep a charge unless it's plugged in and for my youngest we use my like 5th generation iPod touch. My oldest saw me unlock my phone one day and thought to try the same password on the iPod touch in his room and was able to access basic games there. He's also figured out how to access YouTube and will sneak watching Minecraft and Don't Starve videos. He has an iPad that we got him for remote schooling after the pandemic started, and he's figured out that Siri will answer him, even when the iPad is locked. I caught him the other day hiding under his bed watching Minecraft videos. So when it comes to games, yes he has a great attention span....all else in life is a big no so far lol

I mean he's 8 and your nephew is 7 so they're little. My bigger concern is the sneaking around. My mantra is little kids, little problems...big kids, big problems. Sure he's sneaking extra iPad time, which in the grand scheme of things is not a big deal, but what will he be sneaking when he's 16 that could be a bigger deal? I'm trying to teach trust and honest, but the lure of the game is very high for him and at his age, his lack of impulse control is alarming. During the pandemic, you start to believe your kid is the only one however, I've gone to a few birthday parties since things have become more lax and every kid is insane at that age.

Anyways, enough about kids...let's talk about something more adult....

Platinum #172

vQGGtXb.png

DOOM Eternal

I played DOOM and DOOM II a ton as a kid. My Dad, who used to build computers for a living, used to have three PC's set up in his basement that were connected by an IPX Cable. This allowed my brother, my best friend and me to play some games MP, which in the early to mid 90's was a pretty rare thing. We would spend hours in his basement playing DOOM, DOOM II, Warcraft 2, and Diablo among other things. We absolutely loved our time down there. My friend and I used to frag my younger brother occasionally as 'an accident' just because we were dicks...but it was always funny (for us at least). But I developed a love for DOOM back then and it was IDKFA or bust. Having said that, I stopped playing FPS games as I got more into RPG's and I haven't played a DOOM game since those days. I had bought DOOM and DOOM II for the Playstation when they came out, but I don't have anyone to co op with so they've been collecting dust in my backlog. I'll probably try to do them myself at some point, but when it was suggested in my Discord chat that perhaps we try playing DOOM Eternal together, I said 'why not?'. I recently discovered that I don't mind FPS games and actually enjoy them in the right setting so figured it was worth giving one of my old favorites another look.

I tried to buy the disc version of the game on Amazon since I figured I could get it cheaper. The copy that was shipped to me though was the EU version, which would not allow me to upgrade to the PS5 version or install the DLC's. This was a little frustrating, but Amazon has a good return policy so I sent the game back and just went for the digital version so that everyone wasn't waiting on me. Well, that didn't end up working out since this game is an absolute behemoth at over 80 gigs required to play. I got the 15 gig downloaded and hoped we could start, but you needed the full download to do MP. Three of us took on the challenge, which was good since you need three people to effectively boost the MP together. The good news was we had a good group to get it done, the bad news is the MP trophies are kind of a slog and boring to get. The premise sounds cool, one person as the Slayer vs two people as higher Demons, but it wasn't quite as fun in practice. It may have been more fun if the two of us that were just starting had any idea what we were doing, but since we didn't know the controls and stuff yet, it was pretty boring.

Getting the kills with each demon and getting each weapon for the Slayer wasn't bad, but getting 200 kills as the Slayer was a bit of a grind at about an hour and a half each, for us all to get it. The good news is that while one person is working on that trophy, the other two can work on the stupid 'Heal yourself or your teammate for 50,000 health' and the 'Do 5,000 damage as a Demon Player' trophies. The Demon trophies come much quicker than the 200 kills one. When you die, there's like a 20 or 25 second timer that you have to wait in order to respawn, so you can get just over two kills per minute. For one of us, these were the last trophies needed and for the other two, these were the first trophies we got. I jumped right into the campaign so I didn't forget the controls while the third amigo needed a break from the game after the MP portion.

The campaign was actually a lot of fun. I went the route of playing a normal run first and saving the 'Extra Lives' mode for my second playthrough. The 'Extra Lives' mode requires you to beat the game with 10 extra lives in your inventory. You can collect extra lives as secrets throughout the levels. I played that mode second and beat the game with 45 extra lives I think, so there are lots to spare. After playing through the game, I think it's possible to maybe get the platinum on one playthrough, but it'd be quite hard. The potential block for this lays with the 'Master of Fasting' trophy and possibly 'Gunpletionist' trophy. So long as you do not complete a level until you unlock all of the secrets (there's a fast travel that appears when you get to the very end of a level), the rest of the trophies are doable.

The 'Master of Fasting' trophy requires you to complete a mission (level) using the Famine Mode cheat. The Famine Mode Cheat makes it so that enemies do not drop health when they are killed, meaning you can only regain your health through the already existing items in the level. In the regular mode, you can just replay the first mission and use the Famine Mode to get the trophy, however in 'Extra Lives' mode, you cannot replay prior missions. You do not get this cheat until you're very far into the game. Due to that, there's only a handful of missions you could attempt with that code on and it would be far harder. Since you need to finish 'Extra Lives' mode with 10 extra guys, you have to be somewhat careful. The good news is that if you do die, you can exit out using the XMB menu to close the game. When you reload the game, you will revert back to your last checkpoint without losing that life. That safety net makes the possibility of doing the later missions with the cheat code seem like a possibility. 

The other potential block is the 'Gunpletionist' trophy. There are a limited number of enemies in each mission as they do not respawn once killed (trash mobs do during an encounter, but once the encounter is completed they stop spawning). In order to achieve 'Gunpletionist', you have to fully upgrade all of the weapon mods in the game. Each weapon has two except for the Super Shotgun, which has one, and the BFG/Unmakyr, which have none. You unlock the mods by getting weapon points which you get by completing normal encounters, hidden encounters, slayer gates and boss encounters. Each Mod has two items to unlock, one costing 3 points and the other 6, so it takes a while to get enough points to unlock all of the mods. Once you unlock both mods, to get the final mod you have to do certain actions with that weapon (for example you have to get 75 headshots with the Heavy Cannon Precision Bolt Mod) to get the final upgrade. This is easy enough in a regular game since you can replay missions and it could be easy in 'Extra Lives' mode since there is a practice coliseum at your hub, but I'm not sure if those kills count since you can't die and ammo refills after you leave. The good news is that towards the end of the game there is a collectible that lets you unlock the final mod without doing the required action, but there's only like six or so, so you'll have to do at least half of them. But if that practice area works, then this is easily doable as well.

I've written a lot so far without actually talking about the game....so let's change that. While I've played a few FPS games in my history, none were quite like this one. Those (except in rare instances) reward using cover and moving more methodically to stay out of harms way. That goes right out the window with DOOM. The pace gets to be absolutely frenetic in this game. Demons are on all sides of you and if you do not keep moving and strafing, you can die really quickly. I played on the easiest setting and still got overwhelmed with enemies at times (especially when those damned Archvile's were around). I can't imagine how hard this game is on the higher difficulties.

The game does a good job of pacing the challenge. You get introduced to more demon types as you go and you have a pretty good feel for the game before they get too tough. The hardest demon to beat is probably the Marauder, which keeps it's shield up until its eyes flash green and it lunges at you. The only time it's vulnerable is during that lunge. If you shoot the shield too much, it'll summon a flaming dog that'll chase you down. The first few times you fight these, they are challenging, but you usually only face one at a time and once you get the hang of the mechanic, they go down easy. They're a pain in the ass in the DLC's where they are mixed in with other Super Heavy demon types, but for the main game they are mostly manageable. My least favorite demons are the Archvilles. These assholes summon other demons and will continue to do so until you kill it. It doesn't just summon one or two demons at a time, but several. While it's summoning, it is surrounded by a fire shield. It takes a few shots to take down the fire shield and then you have to hit him again in order to interrupt the summon. What makes these a bitch is that in some of the battle areas, they aren't easy to spot so they'll summon several demons while you're searching. They also have a nasty habit of teleporting away once you do find them and start doing some damage. 

My favorite weapon for a lot of these Super Heavy demons was a microwave modded Plasma Gun. With enough ammo, these will hold the demon in place while it does increasing damage, and once the demon runs out of health, it explodes doing damage to anything near it. The downside to the microwave Plasma Gun can take a little while to kill the demon and it uses up a lot of ammo, but if you keep moving, I found it wasn't too hard to avoid damage while locking the harder guys in place. You just need to make sure there are some trash mobs to chainsaw after to replenish the ammo. The biggest challenge in this game, at least until you get used to it, is the low levels of ammo you have. You run out of ammo pretty quickly and you replenish your ammo by using the chainsaw on trash mobs or finding some laying around zones, but those are finite. The chainsaw kill will drop health and ammo. Using the flamethrower drops armor. Once you get in a good rhythm of the different abilities, it becomes fairly easy to stay upright, shielded and loaded, but there is a nuance to it that takes time.

The maps were surprisingly big in this game. If you want to fully beat a level, set aside a good hour or so. In addition to the map size, there was a lot more platforming in this game than I was expecting. Many of the secret areas and puzzles in this game require quite a bit of platforming to unlock. You'll have to get good at the double jump and dash ability. The dash ability requires a recharge time and didn't seem to start until you were no longer airborne. I played the PS5 upgraded version and I found the graphics to be pretty good. Nothing amazing, but the Glory kills are pretty graphic and sharp. Overall the game was smooth, looked good and the controls were pretty tight. I did not suffer any crashes and did not run into any bugs, which is unusual for a Bethesda game. I very much enjoyed going through the twelve or so levels and tearing apart hell on my quest to save humanity.

While the main campaign was a lot of fun, the DLC was much more challenging. When you get to a combat area in the game, you usually get sealed into that area until you clear out all the monsters. Sometimes there are multiple waves. In the DLC, it felt like every area was four or five waves. They also introduce new demons with new mechanics and many of the waves will have multiple types of Super Heavy demons. I found the first DLC to be harder than the second one, but both were a good challenge. I only did one playthrough for each of the DLC's and went straight to 'Extra Lives' mode. You need to finish the game with five extra lives and I believe you can get 13 or 14 in each DLC so it's a little bit tighter a window there, but very doable. I did the DLC's right after my regular campaign run and it made me a much better player so that doing 'Extra Lives' mode in the main game was a breeze. As I mentioned, I beat the game with 45 extra lives so if you end up doing two playthroughs for the main game, I recommend doing the DLC in between as you'll definitely be better when you finish them.

The final DLC horde mode is basically just a gauntlet that you have to run through. Each level has five rounds. Three of the rounds are a combat zone with multiple waves that get progressively harder followed by a 'Blitz' round that you need to platform/use a game mechanic to collect coins. If you get all the coins you get a bonus zone and if you don't you move to the next round of combat waves. The Blitz and bonus rounds gives you extra points and a chance at extra lives. For the first two levels, I didn't really have any problems. The third level was a pain in the ass. I actually failed toward the end of round 5 my first try. I thought I was close to beating the game so got careless with my lives, however that last round was the friggin Energizer Bunny and before I knew it I ran out of lives. I didn't think it was a big deal at first since I thought I'd just have to redo round 5 but nope. If you run out of lives you have to start all over again at the beginning. The second time through I beat it no problem since I knew what to expect. I finished with 10 lives or so to spare, but that last round in level three doesn't mess around. You've got Spirit infused Marauder's chasing after you while an Archville summons other demons while they're buffed by a totem and all the other fun stuff come chasing after you. 

This game is definitely not for everyone. The pace, FPS nature and gore might scare some people off, but the game was well done. There's a good variety of demons and a good variety of weapons along with decent enough puzzles and a decent enough story to go with it. The only downside I felt were the bosses weren't very imaginative. They looked cool, but they often shared the same mechanic as the existing demons and they really fell in love with that flashing green thing to signify an attack. A lot of the bosses had a mechanic like that where they are shielded, telegraph their move and then come at you. A little more imagination there would have been appreciated for sure. I spend about 50 hours I think with this game and largely enjoyed it. I can't say any game is worth $50 bucks any more considering how many games are available, but I feel like if you spent $20 on this, you wouldn't feel cheated. Outside of the MP portion of the game, it was very fun and I'd feel pretty good giving it a recommendation.

• Like 1

I find it funny that you decided to leave the conversation regarding kids and then went: 

45 minutes ago, Briste said:

Platinum #172

vQGGtXb.png

DOOM Eternal

I played DOOM and DOOM II a ton as a kid. My Dad, who used to build computers for a living, used to have three PC's set up in his basement that were connected by an IPX Cable. This allowed my brother, my best friend and me to play some games MP, which in the early to mid 90's was a pretty rare thing. We would spend hours in his basement playing DOOM, DOOM II, Warcraft 2, and Diablo among other things. We absolutely loved our time down there. My friend and I used to frag my younger brother occasionally as 'an accident' just because we were dicks...but it was always funny (for us at least). But I developed a love for DOOM back then and it was IDKFA or bust. Having said that, I stopped playing FPS games as I got more into RPG's and I haven't played a DOOM game since those days. I had bought DOOM and DOOM II for the Playstation when they came out, but I don't have anyone to co op with so they've been collecting dust in my backlog. I'll probably try to do them myself at some point, but when it was suggested in my Discord chat that perhaps we try playing DOOM Eternal together, I said 'why not?'. I recently discovered that I don't mind FPS games and actually enjoy them in the right setting so figured it was worth giving one of my old favorites another look.

We can all admit we were too young to play DOOM. My mother even objected to me playing Goldeneye 007 on the N64 because it was also a first person shooter that featured blood and enemies dying. It was a different time. Sounds like your father was similar to mine, only my dad repaired printers. Hewlett-Packard gave him a really good deal on Windows 3.1 - Windows 95 computers, and he was a fan of Warcraft 2: Tides of Darkness. We played Goldeneye 007 and other games together.

Doom Eternal looks rad, and looks to be a reasonable platinum. As a purist though, I have to finish DOOM 2016 first. 

At this point I may just tell myself to fuck the multiplayer DLC and just do the base game (and the Arcade DLC), since that requires a team of boosters…. really not my kind of thing. From what little I played, it’s fun, though hitting the :l3: button frequently gets old after a while.

Edited by AJ_Radio
  • Like 1

On 7/19/2022 at 11:15 PM, AJ_Radio said:

Doom Eternal looks rad, and looks to be a reasonable platinum. As a purist though, I have to finish DOOM 2016 first. 

I generally try to do the same and not just in the correct order, but consecutively on my list. I didn't realize that DOOM had any continuity to it or I would have probably done the same. If I had any inkling I would like playing COD games, I would have done them in order too. I do kind of like that I didn't with that series though, since there are so many of them. It'll be nice to sprinkle them in from time to time. I'll be starting my Soulsbourne series run and that one will be in order and consecutively done. I'll probably fudge it a bit by saving a trophy in each of them to pop so that I don't get stuck with a mountain of shorter, unfinished games while I'm working through it. It's idiosyncratic for me, but I like to see them in a row on my list. Drives me nuts that KH3 got moved due to the DLC...but at least my platinum order reflects it correctly.

I've been on a roll in the last couple weeks with finishing games. I've got three I need to do write ups for, including milestone 175...but before we get there we've got to do:

Platinum #173

wjiBTu8.png

Doki Doki Literature Club Plus!

The vast majority of this review is going to be in the spoiler tag because this is a Visual Novel that would be completely ruined if I said too much. I had never heard of Doki Doki before and a couple people in my Discord chat were talking about it. When I said I'd never heard of it, they said play it now and it's very important that I don't look anything up ahead of time. Having now played the game I 100% agree with that. If you do not know anything about the game, DO NOT LOOK ANYTHING UP! I got it for $10 I think and it was worth every cent. I very much enjoyed this game, but having said that...pay attention to the warnings the game gives you before starting, they aren't joking. The only thing I'll say here outside of the spoiler is that the trophy list for this game kind of sucks, but the game is pretty short, especially after you've played through it once and can skip text. If you're into VN's and are in a good mental headspace, play this game, you will not be disappointed.

SPOILERS CONTAINED

Spoiler

When this game was recommended in my Discord chat group, I had no idea at all what it was. I searched Doki Doki here on PSNP and saw this come up:

y3f07nj.png

I had assumed they were talking about the top game, because that bottom game appeared like it was potentially one of those 'Breakthrough' type games or one of those highly suggestive VN's. I showed this image and said, 'top one right?' and they were like 'no no, it's the bottom one'. I looked it up and it wasn't too expensive and I figured it'd be funny to play it so I said sure! When I said I was getting it, they said it was important to not look anything up. I was expecting soft core kind of stuff and was like, 'sure, no problem'. I started to play the game and you are this high school guy who's waiting for his longest friend and neighbor to walk to school together. Her name is Sayori and she seems to oversleep every day, making us wait for her. We give her a hard time and she asks about what club we're going to join at school. We're too cool for clubs, but it seems like we have to join something but we haven't decided. Sayori is the Vice President of the Literature Club and begs us to come and join it. She promises cupcakes if we go. Since cupcakes are involved we go.

Once school is over, we head to meet the club and three attractive girls are the only other members. It's our main male character and four beautiful girls....so far I'm figuring my suspicions about this game are correct. There's Sayori, the upbeat, cute girl who's been our friend forever; Monika, the creator of the club who seems to be good at everything; Yuri, who is the shy type who loves Fantasy novels and can't seem to engage in a conversation without it becoming awkward; and Natsuki, the first year fire cracker who pulls no punches when she's talking and is a huge Manga fan. The game is shaping up to be about an adolescent boy having his cup overflow with pretty girls who seem to want to impress him. Obviously, we agree to join the club and the focus in the club right now is poetry. To get to know each other better, the first assignment is to go home and write a poem to share.

This part of the game is the only time you really get to impact what happens with the story. The poem mini-game shows a list of ten different words. You have to select a word and each word ties back to one of the three potential love interests (Monika doesn't seem to be interested). When you choose a word, a mini graphic of the girl who likes that word jumps up and down. There's a trophy for doing a perfect poem for each girl. You can actually use the trophy guide here without it spoiling anything (actually, the guide does a good job of not spoiling anything I found). Pick your Waifu and make her a poem for the trophy or just pick words you like and see what happens. You will need to do a perfect poem three times for each girl in one playthrough at one point for a collectible, but it shouldn't be your first run so don't worry about it.

Each day after, you hang out with whatever girl you'll impress the most with the latest poem written during the club meeting. I had picked Yuri the first time through. She liked fantasy novels and was super shy and I can relate, so I chose her. You get a little closer with her, and you get to know some of her quirks. Meanwhile, Sayori is super happy that you're getting along so well with Yuri and Natsuki gets pissed (If you pick words that Natsuki likes better, Yuri shies away). There's some weird bickering back and forth among Natsuki and Yuri about who he likes better and they get in a fight. At this point, I'm still trying to figure out what the hell is the point of this game. The story is very light an airy, the music is peppy and catchy. I'm confused as to what is going on. There is a school festival that is coming up and the club decides they want to make an exciting booth to try and attract more members.

You end up making three separate poems. During my Yuri run, on day three, Sayori seems to be feeling down. I'm thinking she's realizing she's jealous of Yuri and she's upset that she facilitated our character to pursue Yuri instead of herself. Monika seems to hint there could be something more, but for the most part, the point of the game is to get more members at the festival. On the third day, it's Friday and you have to select between Yuri and Natsuki, who you are going to help get prepared for the festival Monday. Yuri is making decorations and Natsuki is making cupcakes. I chose Yuri and she's coming over to my place on Sunday to prepare. I'm thinking, this is where our hero scores with the shy girl and the game is a success. Yay!

Before Yuri comes over, we head over to Sayori's house to see if she's feeling better after she was looking down on Friday. When you get to her room, you learn a startling fact...Sayori admits that she actually suffers from depression and that is why she is late everyday. Not because she's lazy and oversleeping, but because she's trying to think of a reason to get out of bed each day. This was a more serious turn for, what has been so far, a very lighthearted kind of game. She says not to worry about her and we tell her that we will help her in anyway we can. We head back over to help Yuri. We have a great day with Yuri and flirt and get all of our work done. As she's leaving and I walk her outside, we're about to have an intimate moment when Sayori arrives. Embarrassed by our closeness, Yuri takes off. Sayori then confesses a bit to having slightly bigger feelings than she's let on, but she just wishes things could go back to the way they were. At this point you get to choose to tell Sayori you love her or that she'll always be your closest friend. I choose love her because she obviously cares about our character and he cares about her too. We hug and Sayori seems to get even more sad. She is getting everything she wants, yet still feels empty inside. We tell her we'll help her through whatever she needs and we part ways.

At school the next morning, we head there without waiting for Sayori. We have a ton of stuff we're carrying and Sayori is late again. We don't have the time to wait so we head to school and over to the classroom to help set up. Monika asks where Sayori is and why she didn't come with me. We suddenly remember about Sayori's depression and feel like we've let her down by not waiting. We run back to her house to get her up and tell her we're ready to support her. We get to her room and open the door and BOOOOOOOOM she's fucking hanging from the ceiling by her neck. What in the fuck just happened? WHAT?! While I'm mentally grasping what is happening, the game says a few lines and then END. Wait....what!?!? The game ends like that....what the hell is this game? Why did my Discord friends recommend this to me?

Wait, the game is restarting and the title screen has Sayori pixeled out with Monika in her place....what is going on? The game starts and there is no Sayori. We join the club and it's just us four now, minus Sayori. The text gets glitchy words in it from time to time and screens that should have Sayori are all glitchy. Ok, this game is trolling me now. I get the idea that all the girls have some mental health issue they are dealing with. I suspect that Yuri is a cutter and that Natsuki is being sexually abused or something. Monika seems to be the only one not really suffering from mental health issues.

The game repeats itself, but everything is just slightly off and glitchy. There's weird screens every once in a while that shows something gory like an eyeball popping. I start to understand that this is a horror game and I've been duped by the cheery disposition of the game and am left with my jaw on the floor. This game isn't soft core fluff....it's a horror story dealing with real trauma and real issues. Once Yuri stabs herself in the gut and then heart and you're forced to sit there with her all weekend, I knew this game was unique and I was liking what it was making me feel. This game was more than just a horror game, it was also bringing awareness to some very real problems that people go through on a daily basis. I was wrong about Natsuki, she was not abused (at least not the way I thought it was going to be), but she had a bit of a Napoleonic complex where she was always looked at as 'cute' due to her size. Nobody took her seriously and she had to be aggressive to get what she wanted.

The game is cryptic at first with their issues, but then all of a sudden it's right in your face. But the game does a good job of juxtaposing their issues with suggestions on how to help those that are struggling. I felt like the game subtly plants the seeds of crisis, without it being completely blatant and still keeping the façade of this being a cutesy game about poetry and adolescent love. By the time you hit Act 3 with just Monika, you realize that she's been breaking the 4th wall the whole time and trying to get you, the player, alone. She's been modifying the code so that you'd finally pick her.

During your one on one, she ends up saying one of the more interesting things in the game. There's a conversation about horror movies vs horror literature. She feels that horror movies are about cheap scares like something jumping out at you or excess gore, but in literature, you can build the horror more slowly. It's less about being in your face and more about slowly creating an unsettling feeling within the reader. All it takes is just a little something out of place and it starts to be uncomfortable. Then you just slowly turn up the heat on the items out of place and suddenly the reader is freaked out. She's describing the method this game takes and really is quite brilliant.

After you get through the main story, the side stories are unlocked. There is no horror element there and they really just serve as background into each of the girls issues. While it doesn't mean anything for the main game, I liked that they added them so they could go back and address the mental health issues in a less horrific manner. I thought it might have been valuable to have seen these first, but if they had done that, then I think the events in the main game would have been less surprising to get through. There's no poems or anything in the side stories, it's really just story time and each one is only about 5-10 minutes long. They build upon one another until you get to the events just before the story starts.

As I mentioned in the non spoiler area, the trophy list for this game kind of sucks. I don't mind playing through the game several times since there's the skip button to bypass everything you've already read and it is short enough...but getting 100% of the collectibles was unnecessarily convoluted. One of the collectibles is a launch screen, that you can only get during act 2, and you have a 1/64 chance to see. Unless you are lucky, you have to open and close the DDLC game from the hub over and over again. It took me over 100 times to finally get it to appear. It's mindless, but unnecessary. A lot of them come from just playing through the game, but some of them need specific things to occur. The most annoying of the trophies for me was finding Dan's special note. To get the special note, you have to do the perfect poem three times for each girl in one playthrough. The problem is that the saves get deleted in between acts so if you go to far, you can't reset to an earlier save. The first time I played through the game, I didn't need to save so I didn't realize the saves disappear. When I got to the second act after Sayori hangs herself, I couldn't go back and had to redo it. Then, the first time I got all the way through the game, I tried to double up the special ending with deleting Monika before she speaks....well you need Monika to speak to get the special ending....

What I found out was that during the credits, all of the unique pictures for each girl show up and are 'deleted'. If the picture is in color, it means you saw it during the game. If it is in black and white, it means you missed it. One of the images is of Monika during the one on one, which I didn't realize when doing the run for that trophy. I missed it and had to try a third time to get that trophy. It didn't take terribly long, but it was still annoying.

I really appreciated the recommendation from my friends and really appreciated them telling me to go in completely blind. I totally judged this book by its cover and I was able to experience the full effects of what the game was trying to do. If I had been spoiled, it wouldn't have been as impactful. Hopefully, if you read all of this, you have already played the game. If you haven't played it yet and got this far, I'm afraid you won't have the same experience I did. I'm sorry for all of the fluff in the first part of this review, but I thought it was important to walk you through the story and my impressions to see just how floored I was by the Sayori hanging scene. A+ from me and so far I'm 2/2 on visual novels since I really enjoyed Steins Gate; as well. I may just have to sprinkle these in a bit more frequently....

tldr; it's a good game and you should play it.

Edited by Briste
  • Like 3