Local/couch multiplayer recommendations on PS4?

Lava_Yuki

Hi guys, does anyone have any PS4 recommendations for some good old fashioned local/couch multiplayer?

I'm new to multiplayer as I've always played single player games so far, but I'm looking for a good fun game to play with one of my friends, either co-op or competitive. I was considering Team Sonic Racing, Monster Hunter World, Jump Force or one of the Dragonball fighting games.

I haven't played any of these but anyone who's played these games, how was the multiplayer like? Also, if you have any other recommendation please share :) 

Here a short list of games I've finished in couch coop:

• Overcooked and Overcooked 2
  • Octodad: Deadliest Catch (This gives 2-3 hours of fun, but it's otherwise meh..)
  • Guacamelee! and Guacamelee! 2 (These two games are super fun in co-op... recommend 100%!)
  • A Way Out
  • Child of Light (meh..)
  • Unravel Two (Great game, though if you wanna go for the plat I'd recommend doing the speedruns alone)
  • Gauntlet
  • Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris
  • Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime
  • Diablo 3 (on the X360)

From those above I can recommend the Guacamelee games for sure, those are super fun. Still, I think the most fun I've had in couch coop was with Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime. Have a look at that one, it's really, really good! :D

Edited by Arcesus7
  • Like 1

Monster hunter world is great. But as others have said only online co-op.

To add some more suggestions for couch co-op:

• Divinity Original Sin 1/2
  • Earth defense force 4.1 / 5
  • Magicka 2
  • Wipeout omega collection
  • Bomberman ps4
  • Dead Nation
Edited by xZoneHunter
  • Like 2

Played overcooked 1&2 with my wife and we had a fun time (also arguments while playing :D).

I can also recommend:

Alienation

Dead Nation

Helldivers

Borderlands 1&2 (menu in 2 sucks in splitscreen though)

FIFA, if you are into football

Stikbold (story can be played in coop)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kristycism said:

Monster Hunter World doesn't support local co-op, only online. It's an amazing game to play online co-op with friends though!

The only games I know of that are decent for couch co-op are the Lego games (I think all of them have couch co-op? I'm not 100% sure though as I've never played any of them), LittleBigPlanet 3 (the others are as well, but I think they're only for PS3), Overcooked (1 & 2, though 2 can also be played online as well if you like), Shift Happens (an amazingly fun co-op platformer, though I'd advise against going for the Plat on this unless you have a skilled co-op partner. I played it on my old account and loved it but couldn't imagine going for the plat), Unravel Two, and the Borderlands series (and also Battleborn, which I had a lot of fun with couch co-op with my sister, though it does get repetitive after a while).

Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris is also good for local co-op, though I think it makes it harder to get the scores for trophies as you splot the pick-ups (unless you agree to let one person have them all). There are some other twin stick shooters as well that are local co-op, but I can't think of them off hand.

Of those games it depends on your personal taste what you'll enjoy the most.

EDIT: Oh, and I've heard loads of great things about A Way Out, which is apparently one of the best co-op experiences out there, though I haven't played it to tell you much first hand about how it plays.

Thanks, those are really great suggestions! The lego games and Lara Croft look really fun. The lego incredibles looks good. Pity monster hunter is only online, but I can understand that the way it's a big open world game.

4 hours ago, Arcesus7 said:

Here a short list of games I've finished in couch coop:

• Overcooked and Overcooked 2
  • Octodad: Deadliest Catch (This gives 2-3 hours of fun, but it's otherwise meh..)
  • Guacamelee! and Guacamelee! 2 (These two games are super fun in co-op... recommend 100%!)
  • A Way Out
  • Child of Light (meh..)
  • Unravel Two (Great game, though if you wanna go for the plat I'd recommend doing the speedruns alone)
  • Gauntlet
  • Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris
  • Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime
  • Diablo 3 (on the X360)

From those above I can recommend the Guacamelee games for sure, those are super fun. Still, I think the most fun I've had in couch coop was with Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime. Have a look at that one, it's really, really good! :D

Thanks, Overcooked seems to be recommended quite a lot!  

4 hours ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

I enjoyed these local co-op games:

Overcooked (I heard 2 was even better)

Borderlands series

A Way Out

Dead Nation

Castle Crashers Remastered (comes out this summer)

Resident Evil 5

LittleBig Planet 3

So pretty much @Kristycism's list plus a few extras.

Thanks! My friend quite likes Resident Evil and Borderlands, I'll ask if he has them to play :) 

1 hour ago, Lava_Yuki said:

Thanks, those are really great suggestions! The lego games and Lara Croft look really fun. The lego incredibles looks good. Pity monster hunter is only online, but I can understand that the way it's a big open world game.

Thanks, Overcooked seems to be recommended quite a lot!  

Thanks! My friend quite likes Resident Evil and Borderlands, I'll ask if he has them to play :) 

I know RE6 has local co-op as well, but it's not as good as 5 imo. Was good for a few good laughs getting run over by trains and such, but it didn't feel like a RE game to me.

I think RE Revelations 2 (not 1) has local co-op as well but not online if you are interested in that as well. I heard that was pretty good!