is it interesting?

BG_painter

Hi!I saw the trailer and I thought it seems interesting, I like horror, but I want to hear the opinion of ppl that are playing the game!
Is it good?

Walking simulator?

Does it has good puzzels?

How are the enemies and cutscenes?
Is it similar to another horror game?

What do you think of the trophies? easy? hard? glitchy?

Let me know.

Edited by BG_painter

Has a noir vibe.  Slightly creepy after I pass mannequins that were propped against the wall, then turn to find them right behind me.  Apparently they are supposed to attack, but that didn't happen while I played.

I just finished with the tutorial, and now the dying has started.  Right now the game is just "try to get away from the monster in the hedge maze".  I"m allowed to make a total of three chalk marks to try keep from getting lost, but I can only make marks on the leaves--not the brick columns--which makes total sense. *rolls eyes*

The game shifted from tutorial to the real thing unexpectedly when something suddenly appeared and killed me.  I woke back where I started, and was told by this disembodied "Voice" to find the spot where I died to get back everything I'd lost.  What is this, a Souls game??  Like I have any clue where I was when I died.  I walked out of the room, paused for a few seconds, and suddenly the screen was edged with red and some weird mannequin-looking thing appeared and killed me.

I woke back where I started, and kept walking when I left the room.  I found the object I was looking for and inserted it into a device the Voice told me would unlock the object so I could use it to unlock a door to find a Master Key to unlock this other door that would let me escape.  One hopes.

I thought I should keep moving, so I left the device.  Then I heard a different voice whisper something about finding me, so I tried to move away in the opposite direction.  Then the scary music started, so I knew the Mannequin of Death was near.  I managed to elude her, the scary music stopped, and the Voice told me to go back to the device to retrieve the object as it was now unlocked.  Whew!  Now I can leave, right??

The Voice told me I needed to find and unlock four more of the stupid things, so I said, "nope", and quit.  Maybe I'll go back to the game... I don't know.  Maybe I'll play in "voyeur" mode, where I can't get killed, because right now I am just not in the mood to play fetch-quest in a maze while hopefully staying out of reach of some killer-mannequin.

So to address the original questions:

1. Is it good?  I haven't played long enough to truly judge, but if the whole game is "fetch-quest in a maze while hopefully staying out of reach of some killer-mannequin", I'm not going to like it.
  2. Walking simulator?  So far, just "fetch-quest in a maze while hopefully staying out of reach of some killer-mannequin".
  3. Does it has good puzzels?  So far, just a maze.  With "memory blocks" that randomly appear and close off openings in the maze.  These can only be removed by using the "flash" (like on a camera, but built into your flashlight, I guess?  although there is a "photo mode").  You have to collect flashes, and you can only hold a certain number at a time.
  4. How are the enemies and cutscenes?  So far, the only enemies are traps in the pathways that never went off, mannequins that never attacked me (although you can disable both of them by using the flash), and the Mannequin of Death, a.k.a. the killer-mannequin.  Those names for it are mine; the Voice in the game just refers to it as "it".
  5. Is it similar to another horror game?  I don't think I've played long enough to fairly name other games.
  6. What do you think of the trophies? easy? hard? glitchy?  No trophies were earned in the short amount of time that I played.

Hopefully someone else will play for longer and give you a more solid idea of what to expect with this game.  ?  When/if I continue playing, I'll update. ☺️

• Like 2

I fired it up again this morning.  I was incorrect; I needed to collect three more objects, but then I died and lost the first one so... back to needing four.  Unless I get lucky and find where I died the last time.

Also, in regards to the flash, you get one available to use if the flashlight is fully charged.  The flashlight auto-charges slowly while it is turned off.  Slight annoyance about the flashlight, though, is that when you enter the pause menu (using the options button), to exit the menu you must press the circle button, which is also the trigger for turning on the flashlight, so somehow they left it so that the flashlight gets turned on whenever you exit the menu.  If you don't realize the flashlight is on, once it's been on for a few seconds it will drain the battery enough that you can't use the flash until it recharges again.  Hasn't been crucial yet but I can see the potential for it.

The killer-mannequin ("It") talks occasionally while she's searching for you.  I've been wearing headphones, but I'm not sure I can really judge where she's at when she talks.  I'm not even sure that's a mechanic they built in to the game.  When she's close enough to me to trigger the "imminent death" music and the red border on the screen, I definitely cannot tell where she is.  I was at a corner, took a guess, and started sprinting in one direction.  I chose poorly.  By the time I saw her it was too late.

There's definitely a lot of tension because of that, so if that's what you're looking for in a horror game, this might be the one for you.

I looked at the trophy list this morning, and I agree with @Cosmokeeper.  From the trophy descriptions, it seems like the multiplayer is similar to Dead by Daylight and Friday the 13th, where you can play as one of a group of potential victims (I think they are called "Nominees" in this game), or you can play as "It".  If you're going for all the trophies, you'll have to play as "It" enough to kill 500 people, win 100 matches as a single nominee, and win 25 games with each nominee (I think there are 14 total).  I don't know if they are using the words "match" and "game" interchangeably, either, so I'm not sure if one is harder to accomplish than the other.

@BG_painter, I suggest checking out the steam page for the game.  It looks like some of the bugs (for the PC version at least) are being addressed in a new patch, so complaints about most of those may no longer be relevant.  However, it turns out the SP gameplay is definitely "fetch-quest in a maze while hopefully staying out of reach of some killer-mannequin".

I'll probably play in voyeur mode to see the story, but I don't plan to play for any trophies.  It seems like you get the story through collecting recordings, memory fragments, story fragments, and pictures.  There are also albums you can collect, but I'm not sure what purpose they serve.  The pictures are just that--they have no accompanying text beyond a short cryptic title.  And if you pick up a recording, be sure to listen the first time it plays, because there doesn't appear to be a way to replay it from the inventory menu.  The one memory fragment that I unlocked seems to be just a picture, but maybe it will mean more when I unlock the other three.

Speaking of the story fragments, Marie is the first character you play as, and so far I have collected 6-7 of hers.  They are somehow written in chalk on the leaves of the hedge maze, and you do not lose the number of them that you collected when you die.  However, when I checked my inventory this morning, most of the phrases I had previously collected had changed into something else.  The steam reviews state that the mazes are procedurally-generated, so now I'm wondering if the phrases are tied to locations dependent on the pre-fabbed areas that get generated after each death.  That's... kinda weird.  I guess maybe all the fragments are spread across all stages so that you can only collect all of them in a complete campaign as each character, meaning how each subsequent stage is built is dependent on the ones previous to it.

• Like 2

@DaisyVilla102 Your review is great! thank you so much for the heads up. Your description is very insightful. The game does seem very interesting but also seems to need to be a little more polished. Thank you very very much! ? ? ?

@Cosmokeeper also had a good point. Probably the multiplayer trophies will HAVE to be boosted. I don't see this game having a multiplayer audience by itself.

• Like 1

I'm playing in Voyeur mode now, and finished Chapter 1.  Some things I've figured out:

1. Voyeur mode does not disable trophies completely.  I imagine "Invisible Woman" would be unobtainable, though.
  2. Even though changing to Voyeur starts a new game, you keep the photos and recordings you found when playing in regular mode.
  3. Chalk is more useful than I'd thought.  When you "doodle" (the game's word, not mine) with it, it creates a marker that you can see no matter how far away you move from it.
  4. The story fragments that you find are used in a puzzle of sorts.  One of the last rooms in the maze that you can enter contains a script that you have to fix, using the story fragments that you've found.  I found all the fragments before starting the script-fix puzzle, and it auto-filled the fragments into the script for me, so... not much of a puzzle.  Maybe if you don't find them all first you have to figure out on your own where they go...?
  5. Throughout the maze there are rooms in which you can find collectibles, supplies, and evidence to analyze.  Once you've fixed the script, these rooms are closed off to you.
  6. Also throughout the maze there are corkboards on stands up against the walls.  On these corkboards are fliers that give you little hints and reminders about gameplay.
  7. I would recommend playing with headphones on, as it makes it easier to hear the sound cues that you get.  According to one of the fliers, the collectible albums provide more sound cues.
  8. The final room in the maze is the cutting room, which is also where you started.  In it you will take the Memories that you have found in the maze and edit them together into a trailer.  The memories don't seem to be connected at all, but each one has an enhancement that will apply to your abilities if you keep the memory by adding it into the trailer.  Depending on whose memory it is, you'll get something like "Increases your Stock Inventory by +1", or "Decreases the amount of locked doors by 1%".

Edited by DaisyVilla102
  • Like 2

@DaisyVilla102, Thank you so much for your contribution to this topic. After reading your posts I went to utube and saw some gameplay videos, what I saw was precisely what you wrote here. I do think this game seems very interesting, I haven't decided if i'll buy it yet, it really doesn't seem that bad of a game. I wonder if it will be an ultrarare plat. Do u intend to get it?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, DaisyVilla102 said:

I'm playing in Voyeur mode now, and finished Chapter 1.  Some things I've figured out:

1. Voyeur mode does not disable trophies completely.  I imagine "Invisible Woman" would be unobtainable, though.
  2. Even though changing to Voyeur starts a new game, you keep the photos and recordings you found when playing in regular mode.
  3. Chalk is more useful than I'd thought.  When you "doodle" (the game's word, not mine) with it, it creates a marker that you can see no matter how far away you move from it.
  4. The story fragments that you find are used in a puzzle of sorts.  One of the last rooms in the maze that you can enter contains a script that you have to fix, using the story fragments that you've found.  I found all the fragments before starting the script-fix puzzle, and it auto-filled the fragments into the script for me, so... not much of a puzzle.  Maybe if you don't find them all first you have to figure out on your own where they go...?
  5. Throughout the maze there are rooms in which you can find collectibles, supplies, and evidence to analyze.  Once you've fixed the script, these rooms are closed off to you.
  6. Also throughout the maze there are corkboards on stands up against the walls.  On these corkboards are fliers that give you little hints and reminders about gameplay.
  7. I would recommend playing with headphones on, as it makes it easier to hear the sound cues that you get.  According to one of the fliers, the collectible albums provide more sound cues.
  8. The final room in the maze is the cutting room, which is also where you started.  In it you will take the Memories that you have found in the maze and edit them together into a trailer.  The memories don't seem to be connected at all, but each one has an enhancement that will apply to your abilities if you keep the memory by adding it into the trailer.  Depending on whose memory it is, you'll get something like "Increases your Stock Inventory by +1", or "Decreases the amount of locked doors by 1%".

Thanks for the info. Let us know if Invisible Woman does unlock when you beat the game on Voyeur mode. I doubt it will as well, but you never know. I like the style of the game (Old Hollywood) and am interested in the story but I don't really care for games where there is a killer hunting you, so Voyeur mode would be the only mode that I would play.

• Like 2

@BG_painter I doubt very much I'll get the plat, with multiplayer requirements involved.  I'm just happy I'm getting some enjoyment out of the game. :)  I had pre-ordered it from Best Buy and was beginning to regret it.

@lordzeze will do!

An additional note about the atmosphere in Voyeur mode: it's still creepy.  The mannequins move unexpectedly, although I haven't had any show up behind me like they did when I was playing in regular mode.  Also, you do still see the killer-mannequin show up from time to time.  When she is in close proximity to you, everything goes dark and kinda woozy.  It's spooky.  If she shows up while you're unlocking a memory, you can see her silhouette in the light from the camera.  And it's still unnerving to hear her talking to you while she searches you out.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Devil-Danna said:

I was interested in this game, looked cool but almost all the trophies are still at 0% more than one week after the release. It's either very hard or glitched, so I think I'm gonna wait.

I wonder if it's a combination of both :giggle:

The game is full of glitches not sure if it’s related to trophies, one trophy is for flashing 5 manniquans with the camera, when I gather 5 in one place the flash only takes down 2-3 manniquans. I gave up on it.. the game is not easy to get use to, can’t even get through the tutorial lol

Dollhouse for PS4 is now at version 1.1.2A.  Some additional notes:

1. Patch note 1:  Now when "MULTIPLAYER" is highlighted in the menu, there is a message that reads, "[BETA] Bugs & issues are present in this version.  Please report any issues you find to our Hub & Discord!"  They are actively working on updates for the game, as today they just posted patch notes for version 1.1.4A for Steam, which was mostly Multiplayer fixes.
  2. Patch note 2:  They patched the flashlight--now when you press the circle button to exit a menu, it doesn't turn the flashlight on or off as well.
  3. I've encountered a glitch with the Chalk passive enhancements.  Nothing game-breaking, just annoying.  Three of them are mixed up, so that what you equip in the Safe isn't what shows as your loadout.  Plus, the one of them that I REALLY want to use, doesn't work at all, even if I equip all three of them to cover my bases. :shakefist:
  4. Trophy note 1:  It appears that there are at least seven trophies that require playing the campaign in the regular mode, not as "Voyeur".  I finished the campaign in Voyeur mode last night, and became Ivy, but the associated trophy did not pop.  So each of the "Become ______ at the end of the campaign" trophies, and the "DOLLHOUSE" and "ONCE UPON A TIME" trophies, look like they will require running from the monster and dying over and over (at least it will for me) ?
  5. Trophy note 2:  It's also possible the "7 REASONS WHY" trophy requires a regular playthrough.
  6. Unlockable mode:  Completing the campaign, even in Voyeur mode, will unlock the "FINAL TAKE" mode.  Now I have that option in the Campaign menu, and when I highlight it, "YOU WILL ONLY HAVE 1 LIFE. CONTINUE?" is displayed.

The developers posted a "Dollhouse Survival Guide" on the Steam community page for the game.  Helpful for getting you started :) 

Edited by DaisyVilla102
Added note about the unlockable "Final Take" mode.
  • Like 3

• 4 months later...

Dollhouse for PS4 is now at version 1.2.5 (Update 1.06).  Some updates on the previous notes, and an additional note:

1. Previous patch note 1:  Now when "MULTIPLAYER" is highlighted in the menu, there are no special notes, so it appears they've squashed the bugs.
  2. Previous complaint:  I'm still experiencing glitches with the Chalk passive enhancements.  Nothing game-breaking, just annoying.  Three of them are mixed up, so that what you equip in the Safe isn't what shows as your loadout.  Plus, the one of them that I REALLY want to use, doesn't work at all, even if I equip all three of them to cover my bases. :shakefist:
  3. Previous trophy note 1:  It appears that playing the campaign in the "Voyeur" mode will not prevent you from getting any single-player trophies.  So each of the "Become ______ at the end of the campaign" trophies*, and the "DOLLHOUSE" and "ONCE UPON A TIME" trophies, are obtainable in the no-death mode.
  4. Previous trophy note 2:  The "7 REASONS WHY" trophy can be obtained while playing in "Voyeur" mode.
  5. *New trophy note 3:  In my previous play-through I thought I had become Ivy, but when I started up the game last night for the first time after a three-month break, the "VESPER MARTINI" trophy popped during the loading screens, so I guess I was mistaken about that.  I finished another Voyeur play-through today, getting "BLACK DAHLIA" this time, and got "ONCE UPON A TIME" and "INVISIBLE WOMAN", so it appears that some trophies require another play-through in order to pop, even if the requirements were met previously.

@lordzeze --adding you here since you specifically asked for an update about the Invisible Woman trophy.

Edited by DaisyVilla102
Corrected my game hiatus time (3 mos., not 4) and clarified my last play-through mode (voyeur).
  • Like 2

• 6 months later...
On 5/7/2020 at 2:04 AM, hore said:

game's on sale; i'm guessing the 0.00%s are unobtainable?

I don't know for sure that any of them are truly unobtainable.  I suspect the SOUND OF MUSIC might be unobtainable, only because I had collected two or three different VINYLS (albums) and still didn't show anything in my collection but the one that I started with, "Out of the Past".  And it is the only one I see available in the main menu.  However, now that they've added a Vinyl Player to each safe room, I can switch tracks between "Out of the Past" and "In a Lonely Place".  So I don't know what that means for the trophy.  The vinyls are hard to spot, and I don't know how many total there are.  The vinyls are flat so if they're on a shelf at or above eye-level they can be harder to spot, but they are a bright red so mostly it's easy to see them.  On Steam the dev (Creazn) stated that there should be 17 unique titles found.  Considering that right now there is a duplicate of OUT OF THE PAST, and I've only been able to find 14 unique titles, currently this trophy appears to be unobtainable.  However, as I posted here, the dev did post in the Steam forum that they are going to try to push out one more update to fix what trophies they are aware of as being broken.

The collectibles make it a bit grindy.  You must play the SP campaign at least six times to become each possible person.  You also must collect 1000 memories, but I think maybe film canisters aren't the only things that count as memories for this trophy, because each of the seven chapters with film canisters has a max of 15 to find, and I got this trophy before I finished my fifth playthrough.  I don't know if the memories collected in a multiplayer session count for this trophy, because I got it before I ever played in MP.

The multiplayer trophies may be the most difficult to obtain.  I wrote here about how I thought the MP worked, but now that I've actually played it, I wrote up a new post about it, here.

POSSIBLY ONE OR MORE GLITCHED TROPHIES:  When I started up the game today, I noticed that I now have entries in my library, which I believe is the finished films you make at the end of each SP game by editing together the memories that you've found.  Based on the images for them it would appear that I became Katherine in the first one and Dahlia in the second.  However, the first Become... trophy I got was for Vesper, while the second was for Dahlia.  The VESPER MARTINI one didn't pop until after an update that the devs pushed, so perhaps I just have to become Katherine again to get the correct trophy to pop.  Edit:  replaying to become as Katherine worked, and in fact I have all the "Become..." trophies now.

I hope that helps!  And good luck if you go for the trophies!

Edited by DaisyVilla102
Adding note about the Become... trophies, and correcting some other notes after playing more.
  • Like 2

Dollhouse for PS4 is now at version 1.3.0 (Update 1.07).  This was the final update for this game.  I haven't played in a while, and I don't think it's been since this last update.  So these notes aren't about differences in game-play or observed trophy behavior, but since some people are considering getting the game while it's on sale, I wanted to get this posted up now.  I'll post again if I see any significant changes while playing.

1. In the CAMPAIGN menu, there is now a DELETED SCENES option.  Paraphrasing the description: "These are modifiers that change how you want to play at the start of a new game".  The three modifiers are:  Ace (All Skills are unlocked), Colorized (Everything is now in color), and Rush (You are on a timer).  I don't know yet what effect they may have, in particular the Ace modifier, believe this has any effect on earning trophies.
  2. There's mention in the final Steam update dev notes that reads, "Reduced the minimum number of players to two instead of three" for multiplayer.  I'm not sure if that has an effect on the JOIN THE PARTY trophy; I've never been able to find anyone else online the same time as me.  It'd be interesting to see if it did, though.  It only affects the number of players you need to start a session.

If you are considering whether to get this game now, I'll repeat here what I said in the other topic:  I still enjoy playing it in single-player voyeur mode, so if you can ignore the trophies and you like the noir genre plus a story that's dark and weird (albeit light on content), it's worth getting on sale for sure.

Edited by DaisyVilla102
Correcting previous assumptions.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I got the EVELYN'S SECRET trophy today, and DOLLHOUSE, so all the "Become..." trophies are obtainable.  I had to play through the campaign twice to become Evelyn, but the first time may have glitched out on me because I was blacklisting all the memories for the HOLLYWOOD BLACKOUT trophy.

I got to play multiplayer today, and learned some good stuff, so now I'm changing my assessment of the MP trophies.

I thought the MP was asymmetrical, where one player was It, and all the other players were Nominees, but I was wrong.  Here's the basics:

1. All players are Nominees.
  2. At alternating times during a session, you are either a target, or you are "It" hunting down a specific target player that the game picks for you.
  3. You can only kill while you are "It", and you may only be able to kill the target which has been picked for you.  (By the time I started to get the hang of what was going on, there were only two of us playing, so I'm not sure if you are limiting to killing only one target, or if being It temporarily makes everyone else fair game.)
  4. The session is over when a player collects 13 film canisters (memories).  These are collected by picking them up in the environment, and by killing other nominees.  So if you've picked up 6 and then kill a nominee who has picked up 7, you win.  There may also be a session timer, where if it runs out before someone picks up 13 canisters, then whoever has the most film canisters wins.

Based on these basic rules, it is theoretically possible to get all the MP trophies by the time you've played the 425 sessions required to get the nominee-based trophies.  Assuming none of them are glitched, of course.

This is the rough order in which you might win the trophies if you are just boosting them::

1. HOW IT BEGAN    Finished a multiplayer match.
  2. HERE IT IS!    Killed your first victim as It.
  3. ALL STAR CAST    Won a match of multiplayer with each nominee.
  4. ROLE MODEL    Won 100 matches with a single nominee.
  5. WALK OF FAME    Won 25 games with each nominee in multiplayer.  [I have 14 nominees in my gallery.  So... 350 games?]
  6. BACKSTAB    Kill 500 people playing as It.

Again, this assumes none of the MP trophies are glitched, and I know it's been rumored that WALK OF FAME is.

I believe it is still necessary to have eight people in one session from start to finish in order to unlock the JOIN THE PARTY (Finish a multiplayer match with a full party) trophy.

For anyone who is interested in trying out multiplayer, consider joining the PlayStation "Dollhouse Together" Community.  That was how I ended up playing MP today.  Someone created an event a few days ago, and a couple of us joined up.  It wasn't a boosting session-- they just wanted to really play-- but it was fun, especially since the event creator had a mic and was willing to explain the mechanics.

Edited by DaisyVilla102
Corrected the name of the community.
  • Like 2

Does the match end if 2 people are playing and the person playing as it kills the other?  Would that count as a win?  I wonder how fast you can win a match.  350 matches is a lot if the trophy doesn't pop, but the dev mentioned retroactivley unlocking trophies so it might be worth the effort to find out?

I didn't see the game in the available games to make a session but I am part of the community.  Perhaps we could get a session going to get join the party, and see how long it would take to boost walk of fame.

2 hours ago, matdon said:

Does the match end if 2 people are playing and the person playing as it kills the other?  Would that count as a win?

The match ends when one of these conditions is met:

1. One of the players collects 13 memories (film canisters)
  2. The timer on the match runs out.  The matches are about 7 minutes long each.

When you kill someone, it just counts as a kill, so it will only count toward the HERE IT IS! and BACKSTAB trophies.

Is 7 minutes an average during casual play or as fast as you can pick up 13 memories?  That's gonna be a long boost.

EDIT - Does the IT player see the memories like in the story?  Could the other player follow IT to find memories faster?

Edited by matdon

On 5/23/2020 at 5:26 PM, matdon said:

Is 7 minutes an average during casual play or as fast as you can pick up 13 memories?  That's gonna be a long boost.

There is a timer that is set at the beginning of each match.  When setting up the match it indicates the timer will be set to seven minutes but sometimes it's more.  I've seen up to ten minutes so far.

So, if no player has 13 memories by the time 7-10 minutes has elapsed, whoever has the most memories is the winner.  If it's a tie, even though a "Best Actor" is picked, it doesn't seem to be counted as a win in the nominee stats.

If someone can collect 13 memories within three minutes, then the match will be over in three minutes.

On 5/23/2020 at 5:26 PM, matdon said:

EDIT - Does the IT player see the memories like in the story?  Could the other player follow IT to find memories faster?

Being It during multiplayer does not let you see the memories*, but I think what you are asking is if the other players can Focus to see the memories through your eyes.

While you are not It you can press :triangle: (triangle) to Focus to see through the eyes of your pursuer; however, you cannot follow them, which is the same way it works in the campaign.  As far as movement goes, the only thing you can do is turn in place, and potentially watch your pursuer track you down and kill you.

However, while you are Focusing, you can track memories by pressing :r2: (R2 trigger), and the markers for all memories found remain as long as they do in the campaign.

I think you can switch between other players as well, as I can see a prompt to press :up: (up) or :down: (down) on the D-pad, which doesn't do anything for me while I'm in a two-player match.

As the scene comes to a close, tracking becomes unavailable, the view will change, and all you'll see is a screen reading:

PLEASE STAND BY

I'M CHASING YOU

This is also what you see if you attempt to Focus while you are It, during the short breaks between scenes, and during the time remaining after you've killed your target and the end of the scene.

*One slight exception is that one of the nominees, Stephen, has the ability to reveal a memory for five seconds.  He can use this ability whether he's "it" or not, as long as he has enough stock.