Does it get easier?

supertrunksman

I'm at the Semi-Pro tournament and wow, I'm struggling.  I'm fairly decent at NFS games, but this game is already getting rough.  Getting all stars in the DLC?  No way, I can barely get 1 star in the first stage...
Does leveling up a vehicle increase it's stats?  or maybe you can unlock some faster cars for the earlier challenges as your personal level increases?  Already starting to regret jumping on this due to the server closures coming up.  

Someone reassure me!

Just now, ElBolovo said:

If you are struggling with the base games, you are screwed in the DLCs. You are using any assists (some make your slower)? If you want, upload a video of you driving so we can see what you are doing wrong.

I turned brake assist down to low.  I will upload a video sometime today of a race where I feel like I've made few mistakes and still finished poorly.  That's how it feels for me right now, like I can make hardly any mistakes and yet I still do terrible.  Even on longer straight-aways, the AI seems to fly by me.

I'm struggling too. I can manage to win tournaments by replaying and only moving on when I come in first, but all stars on things like time trials seems utterly impossible to me. I'm starting to think this game might be easier with the wheel controller since it would give me more precise control on turns.

Coming from someone who is horrible at simulation racing, for me, it was just practice. I don't actually remember having too much trouble with the Platinum. I think it's one of those games where, when it clicks & you understand how the game works it all becomes alot easier. It would be interesting to see some video of your play. If I remember correctly, time in the corners & turns is where I improved most. Understanding the speed & angle to take them at can cut many seconds of time in a whole race. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, X-x-TheMayor-x-X said:

I'm struggling too. I can manage to win tournaments by replaying and only moving on when I come in first, but all stars on things like time trials seems utterly impossible to me. I'm starting to think this game might be easier with the wheel controller since it would give me more precise control on turns.

I don't think a wheel would help much with this game and is definitely unnecessary. The best thing to do is simply turn off all brake assists.

2 hours ago, BlackCatBurrito said:

Coming from someone who is horrible at simulation racing, for me, it was just practice. I don't actually remember having too much trouble with the Platinum. I think it's one of those games where, when it clicks & you understand how the game works it all becomes alot easier. It would be interesting to see some video of your play. If I remember correctly, time in the corners & turns is where I improved most. Understanding the speed & angle to take them at can cut many seconds of time in a whole race. 

I agree with this - at first I found it really difficult too, but once I got used to the handling and the overall feel of the game it got a lot easier for me. It did take a good few hours though. The DLCs are overall much harder than the base game, but eventually with enough persistence you should hopefully do alright. The rubberbanding though in many races is a pain, I'll admit. Just keep at it and you'll get there I'm sure! If I can manage it I'm sure most people can :)

• Like 1

Driveclub is more than NFS games...even if you are good at NFS, this is way different. You have to forget how NFS plays and learn this style of racing. Itll get easier though as you get used to Driveclub way.

The main game is very easy, easier than any nfs imo. This has been said before, your R2 button might not be working properly and not giving 100% throttle. Try switching to R1 to see if you are faster. Also if the AI drive away at the start thats a clear sign. 

As for the DLC, some events are very difficult like 9-10/10 imo. 

Can humbly say that all it takes it practice. I played Grid 2 (f’ing cant stand that game lol) and it was similar to how Driveclub plays; so I had to take the NFS style of driving out and learn the game’s mechanics. Once I did that, it was no problem getting the :platinum:. So once you get the hang of how to drive in Driveclub, you’ll have no problem finishing races. Plus it’s a pretty good game. 

Edited by kidson2004

For 3 hours I'm trying to beat first event of Ignition and I'm not even close to 1:19. You hit the wall? Restart. Hold brakes for too long? Restart. Little bit left or right of the track? Restart. Trying to drift? Your car will spin out of control. These is no room for errors at all. You have to be precise in every move. And Ignition is not even hardest dlc. It's not fun at this point. Onrush is fun. Burnout is fun. But this..I had more fun grinding and beating Injustice and Dishonored Dunwall City Trials. I will not give up so easily, but damn..this is just frustrating. 

• Like 1

That's what I said in the bikes forum. It's fucking impossible to get all those stars! The ai cheats, the game cheats with penalizing you everything is just impossible. I only got the driveclub platinum but the bikes and all dlc I will be stuck with forever on my profile...

The best way to play this game was when it came out, because it was a perfect way to pace yourself with each piece of content that came out. So that means now you'll want to focus on getting all the base game races done, most of the main game trophies done, then venture on to the DLC. Some DLC will be incredibly easy, some harder, and some in-between. If you're having trouble with a certain DLC race, it's probably one of those stand out races that are just really hard, so move on to another DLC and come back later! Once you come back to it, you'll find it being easier after experience ;) 

Edited by BlindMango
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, BlindMango said:

The best way to play this game was when it came out, because it was a perfect way to pace yourself with each piece of content that came out. So that means now you'll want to focus on getting all the base game races done, most of the main game trophies done, then venture on to the DLC. Some DLC will be incredibly easy, some harder, and some in-between. If you're having trouble with a certain DLC race, it's probably one of those stand out races that are just really hard, so move on to another DLC and come back later! Once you come back to it, you'll find it being easier after experience ;) 

That's what I call a good advice.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GUDGER666 said:

This has been said before, your R2 button might not be working properly and not giving 100% throttle.

Pretty much what I was about to say. I have noticed the triggers on the PS4 do tend to wear down quite a bit, it doesn't effect that many games but those that use the full range of the trigger for acceleration etc. can suffer from an older controller that would normally seem to work 'fine' in other games. I was having an issue winning in The Grand Tour (which is VERY easy) because of this issue, I ended up taking out the spring which fixed it and afterward I was now massively in the lead every race. Driveclub is certainly an easy game, this is coming from a guy who sucks at driving games, so if you're struggling that much I'd take a look at your controller or maybe switch the acceleration to another button.

EDIT: If you want to test the controller try accelerating and reversing at the same time, some games you'll end up reversing slowly if your acceleration is broken, you can also see where on a track you're losing time, if it's in the straight sections then that likely points to acceleration issues.

Edited by JohnCenaSong-

I have played a lot of Burnout, NFS, GRID... Driveclub definitely fits in the arcade category, but you need to approach it more like a Forza Motorsport game. Practice managing the throttle on cars like the Venom, braking points on different tracks. Usually, drifting means you are losing precious time. Still, you shouldn't be afraid to plow your way through the pack in the beginning of a race, it's easier than trying to overtake everyone cleanly.

As a non-driving gamer (never bothered to plat any of the NFS), the base game is an easy but very long and grindy (sort of boring) plat.  Check your brake assist if you are having troubles. 

you need some serious skill and perseverance for the DLC 100%.  Apples and oranges difference from the base game difficulty.

I am starting to get better and feeling a little more confident.  I have switched auto-braking to 'Off' and stopped trying to drift through every turn and am starting to see improvements.

I will say though, the AI is kind of insane.  It seems like if you make any mistakes at all, you are doomed and may as well restart.  The AI seems to NEVER make any mistakes, so after 1 mistake on my part, the AI will fly ahead and remove any chance of catching up via drafting.

Hoping I can at least get the game to 50% and then might take an extended break from it until a future date.  Not having a good time finding people to help out with the 5 challenges though, so if anyone is willing to help out, that'd be great, as I'm currently at 600/1000 miles driven in a club and being done with the online trophies would be very nice so I can avoid the issues that will come with server closures.

FWIW, I think I beat all the base game tournaments with brake assist on low but if you want to get good enough to beat the DLC (all stars), it is good you are biting the bullet now and turning brake assist all the way off to get used to it.

On 26/05/2019 at 8:14 PM, djb5f said:

Check your brake assist if you are having troubles.

I don't think it's possible to get 100% trophies for driveclub if you don't put brake assist to OFF.

It make you sooooo slow when you activate it, impossible to get a good time.

Turn it OFF and it will change your life ^^

(of course some time trials keep being hard, but not impossible anymore :D)

• Like 1

On 5/26/2019 at 1:26 PM, FR_Gigastor said:

I have played a lot of Burnout, NFS, GRID... Driveclub definitely fits in the arcade category, but you need to approach it more like a Forza Motorsport game. Practice managing the throttle on cars like the Venom, braking points on different tracks. Usually, drifting means you are losing precious time. Still, you shouldn't be afraid to plow your way through the pack in the beginning of a race, it's easier than trying to overtake everyone cleanly.

DC is half arcade and half sim.... or 25% sim.

I'm not that great at racing games and I managed to beat all the DLC so don't put yourself down so much. A lot of the game is just repetition, learning when turns should be taken, learning when to use L2, learning when to tap R2, learning what you can cut where, and learning the courses themselves because a lot of them have areas where you can ignore the flags completely and treat the turn as a green. Turn any assists they have to "Off", all it does is slow you down and prevents you from properly learning things. I did a whole write up of tips for the DLC that you can use as well for just the base game:

Ultimately just keep restarting, keep learning when to turn, and don't touch the drift button (O) because it's far slower than braking with L2 and adjusting yourself with R2 taps. The flags on the courses are incredibly useful to gauging when to turn and for courses that don't have them pay attention to the sides of the course since they usually become red and white striped or you'll see a single arrow after a couple arrows with another symbol under them. Some cars are also worse than others, always look at the stats and if you ever have a choice of a Ferrari or Lamborghini then take it because they can accelerate amazingly well and almost completely ignore speed downs on gravel or dirt. Another thing is to ignore them giving you demerits for crashing into cars, the walls, or going off-road, they all speed you up significantly when it comes to actually racing compared to playing the course clean and safe because corners alone can be skipped once you learn where the speed spot is that you can take, so don't worry about your points because you get hundreds of thousands from accolades and usually in the range of 6,000 to 30,000 a race.

• Like 1