June 2019 Trophies for Trophy Hunting competition (June 1st - June 30th)

Trophies for Trophy Hunting

Welcome to the third month of the trophy competition that I've called "Trophies for trophy hunting".

I feel like most of the active challenges/competitions here are mainly focusing on collecting platinum trophies and attaining 100% completion.

Instead of adding another one into the mix, last april I came up with something new and this is the result of that.

This competition is one where I have set certain challenges to complete whilst trophy hunting. Think of it as trophies you can get for hunting trophies.

The purpose of this challenge is to find unearned trophies that meet the requirements for those challenges. Maybe those challenges are that last bit of motivation you need to pick up that old game and achieve that trophy.

How do the challenges work?

For the month of June there are 40 challenges to complete. The list of challenges will be placed below.

You can complete challenges at your own pace.

If you’ve completed at least 35 of the 40 challenges, you can score more points by going for the same challenges again (round 2)

You can still complete the last 5 challenges from round 1 after you’ve started round 2 but you can not complete a challenge in round 2 if you haven’t yet completed that same challenge in round 1.

You get 1 point per completed challenge.

How do we keep score?

If you’ve completed 5 or more challenges you make a post about those trophies and I will award the points.

At the end of the month if you have 3 completed challenges left that you haven't posted about, you can make a post for just those 3 challenges of course.

Participant with the most points at the end of the month is the winner.

How do I post completed challenges?

You post the name of the trophy with which you’ve fulfilled a challenge and the number of the challenge. Based on that trophy I will check your trophy log to see if you’ve met the conditions.

Please also mention the timestamp from when you've earned that trophy. Especially later in the month this saves me a lot of time searching trophy logs.

Examples are from the first month so the challenge used for the example is outdated

For example: Completed: Challenge 9. Get a trophy that has the word egg(s) in the trophy name: Egg Hunt - Spyro the Dragon 5th April 11:12 PM

You can only complete 1 challenge with the same trophy. So once you’ve named a trophy to complete a challenge you can not name that trophy to complete another challenge.

If a challenge requires you to get multiple trophies they must all be locked in for that challenge. So none of the trophies to fulfill that challenge can be used for another challenge.

If you started round 2 and still have some earned trophies that you haven't used for a challenge, you can still lock those trophies in to complete challenges in round 2

How do I sign up?

Just comment that you will be competing and you’re good to go.

You can still sign up after this competition has started (June 1st). You can use trophies you've earned before signing up to complete challenges, as long as you've earned them in this month (June 2019)

There is no maximum to the number of participants.

You will be added to the leaderboard and google spreadsheet once you've updated your first completed challenges

You can also report your first completed challenges in the same post you sign up

Got some ideas?

This is my first time organising any kind of competition and this is the second draft of the concept. So any feedback or suggestions are always welcome. Please feel free to post any ideas or improvements.

Challenges will be up for a whole month, and if this proves to be a success I will think of new the challenges for the next month

The competition starts on:

June 1st 0:01 AM UTC +02

The Challenges for June

1. Get a trophy that has the letter J

2. Get a trophy that begins with the letter U

3. Get a trophy that begins with the letter N

4. Get a trophy that begins with the letter E

5. Get a trophy from a game that has an E3 trailer

6. Get a trophy that has at least 3 words in the trophy name that contain the letter E

7. Get a trophy from a game that is a Playstation exclusive

8. Get a trophy from a game in your favorite genre

9. Get a trophy from a game that is originally released in the month June or July (Doesn’t matter which year) (If 1 version is released in June or July in only 1 region, all versions of that game count towards this challenge)

10. Get a trophy that has exactly 1 letter F in the trophy name

11. Get a trophy that has all the letters C R A S H in the trophy name

12. Get a trophy from a game where you can control a car or bike

13. Get a trophy from a game in the genre: Sport

14. Get a trophy that has all the letter C A N C E R in the trophy name

15. Get a trophy that has all the letters S U M M E R in the trophy name

16. Get a trophy that has all the letters M A R I O in the trophy name

17. Get a trophy that has all the letters M A K E R in the trophy name

18. Get a trophy from a game in the genre: Platform

19. Get a trophy that has all the letters F E S T I V A L in the trophy name

20. Get a trophy that has the word ‘Rock’ in the trophy name (May also be part of a longer word)

21. Get a trophy that has the word ‘Show’ in the trophy name (May also be part of a longer word)

22. Get a trophy that has the word ‘Dance’ or ‘Dancing’ in the trophy name (May also be part of a longer word)

23. Get a trophy from a game where the protagonist is or has a father

24. Get a trophy that has all the letters M A R V E L in the trophy name

25. Get a trophy that has the word ‘Dark’ in the trophy name (May also be part of a longer word)

26. Get a trophy that has all the letters D I S N E Y in the trophy name

27. Get a trophy that has the word ‘Toy’ or ‘Story’ in the trophy name

28. Get a trophy that has all the letters E L S W E Y R en the trophy name

29. Get a trophy from a Playstation Plus game

30. Get a trophy from a Playstation Now game

31. Get 3 trophies where the first letters of those 3 trophies follow each other up in the alphabet (for example 1 trophy that starts with the D, 1 that starts with the E and 1 that starts with the F) (They must all be locked in for this challenge)

32. Get a trophy where the first letter in the trophy name matches the second letter in your PSN username

33. Get a trophy from a game that has a soundtrack (the game has to feature real songs or must have an official soundtrack released with in game music)

34. Get a trophy from a game that is originally released in 2016

35. Get 2 PSNP Rare trophies (They must both be locked in for this challenge)

36. Get a PSNP Very rare or Ultra rare trophy

37. Get a trophy from a game that has multiple weather conditions

38. Get a trophy from a game that is made by an Asian developer

39. Get a trophy that is rated PEGI 3 or 7, or rated E for Everyone

40. Get a trophy from a game that you have used to complete a challenge in a previous month (If this is your first month competing: Get a trophy from a game that you have used to complete another challenge in the same round)

Sidenotes:

Please describe which weather conditions the game contains

Please provide a link to info that a developer is from Asia

If a game is rated PEGI 7 but not E for Everyone it still counts for the challenge

Google Sheet with Leaderboard and everyone's own completed challenges

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZFFx0FZmWN2O1IU9lrUr0C8-CntRwJsfk0fQhtOdcvI/edit?usp=sharing

Leaderboard (only the scoring participants are shown):

Spoiler

Han_the_Dragon 32
dmland12 29
Upendo_Vitani 24
Arctic Cress 22
Psy-Tychist 21
Mitch2161998 20
Kittet3 18

Edited by CSmit180
  • Like 3

I'm kind of sad about you dropping the rule of the "month letters" challenges, it was quite interesting to have to use the "game starts with" instead of the trophy (and your take on "Y" on may was actually quite good, I was expecting something similar with "U" for June too).

A couple questions/clarifications:

For challenge 5: Any previous E3 works, right?

For challenge 9: June + July? I'm curious on why you are allowing 2 different months this time around.

For challenge 38: Japan is part of Asia (geographically), but not gaming wise, so, we count them for this challenge or is it Asia, but no Japan (I don't know Asian developers, outside of the studio that did Qurare, if I'm not wrong, and that game is impossible to play now due to closed servers, so if it's Asia except Japan, I may need to do some digging..).

I find most of the words challenges interesting choices, but I can't comment on difficulty.. maybe over the weekend I will start searching for them..

@dmland12 - Can I count on you to bring us another awesome file to look for the challenge words for us? Thanks!

18 minutes ago, Han_the_Dragon said:

I'm kind of sad about you dropping the rule of the "month letters" challenges, it was quite interesting to have to use the "game starts with" instead of the trophy (and your take on "Y" on may was actually quite good, I was expecting something similar with "U" for June too).

A couple questions/clarifications:

For challenge 5: Any previous E3 works, right?

For challenge 9: June + July? I'm curious on why you are allowing 2 different months this time around.

For challenge 38: Japan is part of Asia (geographically), but not gaming wise, so, we count them for this challenge or is it Asia, but no Japan (I don't know Asian developers, outside of the studio that did Qurare, if I'm not wrong, and that game is impossible to play now due to closed servers, so if it's Asia except Japan, I may need to do some digging..).

I find most of the words challenges interesting choices, but I can't comment on difficulty.. maybe over the weekend I will start searching for them..

@dmland12 - Can I count on you to bring us another awesome file to look for the challenge words for us? Thanks!

I felt like there weren't enough games that started (or ended) with the letters of this month. Since the J is impossible and the other letters would have been hard as well I decided to not do them at all this month. (although now i am curious what games end with U, so far I can only think of That's You)

Challenge 5: yes of course all editions of E3 are elgible. (I don't think we'll be able to play most of the games they're gonna anounce this year yet haha)
Challenge 9: I feared that June and July are traditionally months that don't have as many releases as other months. So for these months i wanted to put them together to create more options

Challenge 38: Yes, Japan is part of asia and all Japanese developers count towards this challenge. I just didn't want to exclude any potential developer from other countries than Japan.
Words challenges are based on Zodiac Sign, my association of June with festivals and June releases (X-Men Dark Phoenix, Toy Story 4, F1 2019, Crash Team Racing, Elder Scrolls Online Elsweyr & Super Mario Maker 2)

• Like 1

Now that you mention it, ya, the U and E would really be a pain (I don't see how "J" would be a big problem, with games like all Jak and Dexter, Jump Force and many more). So, your idea was the right call.

I understand what you mean  about June/July being dry months, but I think it's no worst than April/May as far as releases go.

OK, so the Asia will be easy!

And I knew from were most of the words needed came from, but the difficulty may be hit and miss, and we will only start to see how hard they are when we actually try to fulfill them.

I didn't said that I'm in, but I'm for sure. My play time/free time is severally cut (including my 1 week vacation on June likely not going to happen..), but I will see how far I can get.

Definitively put me down again. Sport is going to be an interesting category (really hope it's more populated than mystery last month).

Question about Challenge 39, does E10+ count or does it specifically need to just be E?

Now to start looking for father games...

28 minutes ago, ArtikSkarab said:

Definitively put me down again. Sport is going to be an interesting category (really hope it's more populated than mystery last month).

Question about Challenge 39, does E10+ count or does it specifically need to just be E?

Now to start looking for father games...

Don't worry, the Sports tag feels quite broken.. 

Here's the link

https://psnprofiles.com/games?genre=14-sport

But to give you an idea, it includes stuff like Yakuza, Persona 4 Golden, GTA5, Gran Turismo Sport and obviously the likes of FIFA and NBA. 

I personally will probably use Dirt 4 again for this, since I still have easy trophies on it. 

I'm in again though this will probably be the last month that I am a strong competitor. I go on vacation in July for a week and then start school & have a work conference in August. From August to December is school and the busy season at work & is always the time when my gaming slows down. It will pick back up in Mid to Late January.

In regards to "23. Get a trophy from a game where the protagonist is or has a father" - I am assuming the father has to be featured in the game? Also would something like Octo-dad count or a game where the father is an adoptive father?

Also - I had games lined up for the monthly letters (Jak & Daxter as well as Jurassic Park for J;. Uncharted 1-4, Uncharted Lost Legacy, Until Dawn and Until Dawn Rush of Blood for U; Ni No Kuni 1 & 2, Night in the Woods & Never Alone for N; Everybody's Golf, Ether One and Element4l for E). Finding trophies with those letters will be a bit more time consuming but I am up for the challenge.

Edited by AmarisSkye

I'll join again.  It looks like I might do worse in June than this month, but we'll see.  It's still an interesting way to decide what to go for next from my unearned trophies and backlog.  I'm pretty happy that I was able to get back into a couple of games this month that I haven't played in a while.

5 hours ago, Han_the_Dragon said:

Yep, I already did most of the work before, so just needed to edit a few things for it to work for the new words/letters.  Except for challenge #6.  That was different.

Anyway, here it is for anyone that's interested: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WSfTwP1stxjT-cMzphui7JKJfJfNduHkbUnA36_zfQQ/edit?usp=sharing

If you used the one I made for this month, it's very similar.  If not, then read below.

To use:

(1) First, make a copy (File Menu --> Make a copy), so you can edit it.

(2a) Write or copy/paste any trophy names you want to check into the "B" column.

OR

(2b)  If you prefer, you can instead use the second sheet, labeled "Paste" to paste directly from your PSNP trophy advisor or PSNP trophy list, and the spreadsheet will load the names into the correct column on the main sheet for you.  Make sure you start highlighting at the images at the beginning of the row when you click,drag, and copy so that the first row will line up correctly when pasted.

The sheet will show TRUE if the trophy name satisfies the requirements for each column.  If not, it will stay blank.

A couple notes/limitations:

Only rows 2-100 are filled out with the formulas.  If you need more than this, you can copy & paste new rows.  Just select the row or all the boxes in the row, then copy and paste into the first cell of the next row.

For challenge #6 (3 E Words), the spreadsheet can only check trophy names with up to 12 words.  If you have any trophy names with more words it'll just stay blank regardless.

Let me know if you notice any errors.

• Like 2

@dmland12 Thanks! Already using it!

So far I did a qquick search for the full words and found out that I have at least 1 option for all without needing to start any unplanned game (AKA I only need to "start" Primal, Sam & Max BTaS, Child of Light, so, basically games that I would play before the end of June anyway) , so that's nice (although some are annoying.. And I only have 1 option for Rock..). 

The triple E will easily be taken care of along the 2 Rare trophies while I set up NFS HP plat. 

With Primal, it looks like that I can clear most of the spelling and "start with" challenges, so, that's cool. 

The only challenges that I will need to dig further are "Festival", "Elsweyr" (likely the hardest challenge), and U (I saw may trophy advisor, but all of them require quite a bit of time..)

Edited by Han_the_Dragon

@dmland12 - What is the column "F (exact)" for?

My only issue last month is that the list only goes to 100 trophies and I typically earn upwards of 200 to 300 a month. This month I extended it as soon as I made the copy because last month after I reached trophy 100, it wasn't checking them anymore. (I just saw that you mentioned this in your comment) I also keep the ones I earn on that list to reference later and then I change the fill of the row to show from a white background to another color to show that I have used that trophy. This is probably not something that would impact people who aren't going as hardcore on these challenges as I am but I thought I'd mention it in case it helps other people achieve higher scores on these trophy challenges.

Here is my challenge list that includes @dmland12's word/letter search on the second sheet (click this link -the link will automatically prompt you to make your own copy of the spreadsheet). I wasn't sure how to also transfer the paste sheet without screwing up the references as I like my challenge list to be on the first sheet. (I also only use the paste function for research ahead of time & use the search for regular reference once I have earned the trophies.

To utilize my sheet (the first page), just write "Yes, (trophy name)" in each corresponding cell and the cell will change from Red to Green to show you have completed that challenge and row 41 will calculate the total challenges completes when entered in this format. @CSmit180 - feel free to utilize this if you haven't already made one. 

Edited by AmarisSkye

On 5/28/2019 at 5:49 PM, Han_the_Dragon said:

Don't worry, the Sports tag feels quite broken.. 

Here's the link

https://psnprofiles.com/games?genre=14-sport

Seconding this - how is LA Noire or Fallout New Vegas a sports title? I'll probably end up using Everybody's Golf but is it really fine for us to use any game listed on PSNP under sport, @CSmit180?

Edited by AmarisSkye

I'm going to sign up for this event too. I made a list of trophies to get for most of the challenges, just need the letter ones figured out. Thanks for the spreadsheets, it definitely makes it easier.

I'm going to try harder this month and get more than half a round done.

Edited by Upendo_Vitani

Interesting list. But as I said before, I feel reluctant to enter this event, especially since I will probably never complete the "Complete a trophy for a game starting with U" as there are no games in the U category I like. (I did platinum Undertale once but I hated that game because trying to do the genocide ruin was impossible because of Undine EX, she destroyed me..:spank:) And since I failed to get to Round 2 in this month, which I swore I was hyped for, I am not sure I can do so in this month. *sigh* Also, the only J game I can stomach is the original Jak and Daxter, and only JUST.

I guess it's because I don't have many games I have in my backlog. So I'm going to skip this month. :(

Good luck for everyone who does this event though!

Edited by SuperSmash5U

6 minutes ago, SuperSmash5U said:

Interesting list. But as I said before, I feel reluctant to enter this event, especially since I will probably never complete the "Complete a trophy for a game starting with U" as there are no games in the U category I like. (I did platinum Undertale once but I hated that game because trying to do the genocide ruin was impossible because of Undine EX, she destroyed me. :() And since I failed to get to Round 2 in this month, which I swore I was hyped for, I am not sure I can do so in this month. *sigh* Also, the only J game I can stomach is the original Jak and Daxter, and only JUST.

I guess it's because I don't have many games I have in my backlog.

Good luck for everyone who does this event though!

I think the trophy just has to start with a U, not the game. 

On 5/28/2019 at 1:57 PM, Han_the_Dragon said:

I'm kind of sad about you dropping the rule of the "month letters" challenges

Oh, didn't see that. Sorry about that. ? Well, if it's just a trophy it is a bit easier,. but some of those challenges are still a bit difficult.

Edited by SuperSmash5U

4 hours ago, AmarisSkye said:

@dmland12 - What is the column "F (exact)" for?

My only issue last month is that the list only goes to 100 trophies and I typically earn upwards of 200 to 300 a month. This month I extended it as soon as I made the copy because last month after I reached trophy 100, it wasn't checking them anymore. (I just saw that you mentioned this in your comment) I also keep the ones I earn on that list to reference later and then I change the fill of the row to show from a white background to another color to show that I have used that trophy. This is probably not something that would impact people who aren't going as hardcore on these challenges as I am but I thought I'd mention it in case it helps other people achieve higher scores on these trophy challenges.

It's for challenge #10.

As for stopping at 100, it's just an arbitrary choice.  You've got to stop somewhere.  Personally, I'm using ~750 rows on my own sheet: I have most of my unearned trophies, backlog, and a few PS+ games listed.  Others could easily go into the thousands like that.

If there's any general agreement on how many rows would be enough, I can just fill that many out, but I figured there would be a huge difference as to how many people would find useful.  So, I just filled out a decent amount and left it up to each individual to decide how many was needed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dmland12 said:

It's for challenge #10.

As for stopping at 100, it's just an arbitrary choice.  You've got to stop somewhere.  Personally, I'm using ~750 rows on my own sheet: I have most of my unearned trophies, backlog, and a few PS+ games listed.  Others could easily go into the thousands like that.

If there's any general agreement on how many rows would be enough, I can just fill that many out, but I figured there would be a huge difference as to how many people would find useful.  So, I just filled out a decent amount and left it up to each individual to decide how many was needed.

I think that 100 is more than enough, it's just to check (at least for me), and if we need more, copy and paste rows doesn't even take 2 seconds.. So it's not hard to add more. 

I'm actually using around 200 rows for most of my planned games to play, and was able to find a trophy for every challenge (mainly thanks to SNK Heroines.. Those trophy names are stupidly long, but actually it's an advantage here ?). 

Now the hardest part is me having time to actually earn the trophies.. 

11 hours ago, Kittet3 said:

I think I"d like to join- not sure how much time I'll have but it seems fun. Not sure if I understand the "locked-in" part of it though

Just to make sure that you don't use those trophies for other challenges. (It wasn't that case before and it simplifies Csmit's job.) So, instead of needing only one trophy for those challenges, you need to put down 2 or 3 trophies for the locked-in ones.

11 hours ago, Kittet3 said:

I think I"d like to join- not sure how much time I'll have but it seems fun. Not sure if I understand the "locked-in" part of it though

You can also check the thread for the May competition to see how it went down. :)

On a side note: when I checked if there were enough trophies for dance/dancing I didn'tnotice so much of them were only in Just Dance games.

Does everyone have enough targets for this challenge or do I need to add a word to the challenge? (Word to be added could be 'beat')

2 hours ago, CSmit180 said:

You can also check the thread for the May competition to see how it went down. :)

On a side note: when I checked if there were enough trophies for dance/dancing I didn'tnotice so much of them were only in Just Dance games.

Does everyone have enough targets for this challenge or do I need to add a word to the challenge? (Word to be added could be 'beat')

I should have more than enough (I have 2 marked from games that I already started, 1 in MKX another in Dirt Rally + I remember seeing several from the Persona Dancing games, and I have the 3 PS4 games on my backlog, so that's easily enough for me). 

Also, my plan for this event month will likely be similar to last month, so I'm trying to get 40/40 in round 1, and after I do that, I will try to get to 101 challenges before I stop. 

Edited by Han_the_Dragon

On 31/05/2019 at 10:02 AM, Upendo_Vitani said:

I'm going to sign up for this event too. I made a list of trophies to get for most of the challenges, just need the letter ones figured out. Thanks for the spreadsheets, it definitely makes it easier.

I'm going to try harder this month and get more than half a round done.

I was able to find a trophy that fits the criteria for all of the challenges AND they are all games I actually want to play this month. All I can say is yay I'm definitely going to do better than last month.