Corrupted File System

CapitanoEstebano

So I was replaying The Last of Us with my girlfriend as she’s never played it before and we encountered a game breaking glitch. After encountering Bill for the first time the cutscene wouldn’t load and would freeze if I tried to skip the cutscene. This would happen every time we tried and so I decided to delete the game data and reinstall. (Which is weird because I’ve completed The Last of Us like 7/8 times and never experienced anything like this). So anyway after jumping back on after reinstalling, it happened again and again and again at the same part. I decided to put my PS3 in safe mode and restore file system and up popped a message saying “The file system on the system storage is corrupted and will be restored” so went ahead and did that. Once finished and I was back in the XMB menu, I decided I wanted to double check if it fully cleared all corrupted files and so I entered the PS3 in safe mode again and Restored File System again. Up popped the same message “The file system on the system storage is corrupted and will be restored”. I thought maybe I have to do this multiple times to fully clear all corrupted files and so I ran about 10 restore file systems, 1 restore PS3 system (which took 16 hours lol). Despite all these procedures every time I go to double check if it is fixed it displays the same message. Is this a standard message that pops up before you do a Restore File System or is there the opportunity of a message popping up before it saying something along the lines of “No corrupted files detected”. 

Im hoping that it’s a standard message and that my console hasn’t saw its last days. If anyone can give any advice it’s really appreciated.

Also worth noting this is a PS3 Slim, I’ve never had any problems with it and if it’s ever froze and wanted to check for corrupted files when restarting I’ve never bypassed that option. Also attempted to contact sony support and they couldn’t understand the problem I had and was misinterpreting it for another issue.

Have you tried deleting your save file and/or restoring from a previous backup from the cloud?

Possible bad sectors on the HDD? It may be worth it to try another drive just to see if it clears the issue.

• Like 2

Just to clarify:

Did you restored the 2nd time on your own decision or the PS3 asked you to?

Does the restore process completely go through to the 100% or does it stop somewhere?

Personally I got a restore loop which never were able to go past a specific% and I had to 5. "Restore PS3 System". This will delete everything on your PS3! So take this as last option.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dennis-nine-five said:

Just to clarify:

Did you restored the 2nd time on your own decision or the PS3 asked you to?

Does the restore process completely go through to the 100% or does it stop somewhere?

Personally I got a restore loop which never were able to go past a specific% and I had to 5. "Restore PS3 System". This will delete everything on your PS3! So take this as last option.

It never once asked me to do it, I decided to Restore File System as deleting the game data etc wasn’t working and I suspected it was maybe a corrupt file. When going through the process it said that it was corrupted. It’s completed it 100% every time and the latter times was just for me to double check that it still wasn’t corrupted but the message came up every time I Restored File System

6 minutes ago, Dennis-nine-five said:

Ok, are you able to access the Xmb-Menu of the PS3 after restoring the PS3 manually through the safe mode? Or does it prompt ask you to restore it again without any choice? Which would be considered a loop.

I’m able to access the XMB menu and go about normally. I just decide to repeat the procedure to see if the same message popped up about it being corrupted

2 hours ago, CapitanoEstebano said:

“The file system on the system storage is corrupted and will be restored” [...]

Is this a standard message that pops up before you do a Restore File System or is there the opportunity of a message popping up before it saying something along the lines of “No corrupted files detected”. 

Im hoping that it’s a standard message and that my console hasn’t saw its last days.

Ah, ok. Now I understand.

I don't know if it's a standard message. But are you still encountering the issue with the freeze ingame? If so you might want to watch the cutscene to prevent the freeze.

Edit: Missed the part that the cutscene doesn't even load. Probably still the same issue then.

This issue? Same place?

Otherwise back to

@dj_helyx about the save data.

Edited by Dennis-nine-five
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Dennis-nine-five said:

Ah, ok. Now I understand.

I don't know if it's a standard message. But are you still encountering the issue with the freeze ingame? If so you might want to watch the cutscene to prevent the freeze.

Edit: Missed the part that the cutscene doesn't even load. Probably still the same issue then.

This issue? Same place?

Otherwise back to

@dj_helyx about the save data.

Ye it was this exact location, I knew this was a problem for others as I did some searching online for it. Found it pretty strange though that this was the first time I encountered this, I’ve played through The Last of Us roughly 7 times and never experienced it before so I thought my file was corrupted and thus leading on to the situation I’m in

1 hour ago, GUDGER666 said:

Yea this is a standard message, i restore the file system every month and it always says this.

So that message will never go away no matter how many times I restore the file system. Does this also mean that my system isn’t actually corrupted anymore even after the Restore PS3 System?

2 hours ago, CapitanoEstebano said:

So that message will never go away no matter how many times I restore the file system. Does this also mean that my system isn’t actually corrupted anymore even after the Restore PS3 System?

Yea its a standard message, when the file system gets corrupted it restores it and shows you that message before it does it. All you are doing is manually doing it so that's why you get that message. If the file system was corrupted it would tell you when you on start up and try to repair it, and if it couldn't then you wouldn't be able to do anything other than safe mode. 

Do you play the game while signed into PSN? There is a few games that for some reason freeze when you are signed in, worth trying that part while signed out if you haven't already. Also read that pressing skip scene and waiting 5 min works. 

Last time I had a problem like that, it was a hardware issue, a really weird issue with the board (according to tech support). Played GTA V from start to end without issues but with Uncharted, Beyond and TLoU refused to load at all. Tech support could not fix the problem and they ended up giving me a new console since the warranty was ok.

• 2 weeks later...

Naughty Dogs games are faboulus games in term of gameplay, graphics and fun. 

But they are the most glitchy stuff i encountered in my short time on the PS3.

Uncharted 1 would freeze if you played for too long and didn't played another game in between. I managed to do the game with only 2 freezes but such a bummer when you playing a good game and just feel like continuing. Its a known issues

Uncharted 2 i was lucky to not have problems but there is known glitch call the spinning dagger of doom or something like that, basically an infinite loading screen.

I have yet to play Uncharted 3 and this is partly because i read that it also has glitch. I was kinda tempted to wait to play it on the PS4 trough the collection but then again i had fun with the first 2 games and im eager to play it and not ready to get a PS4... i dunno.

As for The Last of us it was the worst of the bunch for me. My disc is in great shape, like super great shape, yet at one point in the game i encountered a bug where i just couldn't advance. The environement wouldn't load and i would walk on empty and such. I uninstalled and installed back, no luck. I had to rent another game and litteraly uninstall the game and install back to have it debug. I didn't want to erase my save file and restart, i was like half way in the game and was having fun, it would have really kill the mood. Thankfully it was able to debugg and i could finish that excellent game. 

But yeah naughty dogs games on PS3... so much glitches...