Sony forcing players into ps plus?

5 minutes ago, TurtlePM said:

They don’t force players to subscribe PS+, they simply advertise their service whenever they can. In that case, one of the benefits of PS+ is exclusive discounts. If that game has a lower price with the subscription, why not warn players about it. They don’t put an ultimatum or “point a gun” saying: subscribe now or your system will be disable for doing anything.

I honestly don’t get the fuzz around PS+. It’s optional, I always had PS+ since PS3 because of the games they offer and most discounts. Since most of the games offered these latest months are repeated in my collection/library, I don’t see a good reason to continue the subscription unless they give “me” a good month later.

it's not really optional with the ps4 and eventually ps5 on the horizon, since online play required a plus subscription to use that mode that once was completely free and it should be free, so if you're a trophy hunter and wanted to 100% all of your trophies then most games had online mode that had those terrible online only trophies , and if you don't like paying for one of the simplistic feature the online play then you gonna left a lots of 90% to 80% on your trophies list with no platinum.

I mean.. that's been the idea since the beginning. Remove/disable free features to get you to pay for them later. Every corporation does it, most recently Twitch. People typically love paying for things they used to get for free though so no big deal. If you don't buy into it, you're just entitled.

If you do a lot of online gaming, move to PC where the only sub you have to pay is your internet connection. If you buy enough games that the discounts would be worth anything, just wait until there's a sale, buy PS+, buy all the stuff you want and then let it expire.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, yellowwindow7 said:

it's not really optional with the ps4 and eventually ps5 on the horizon, since online play required a plus subscription to use that mode that once was completely free and it should be free, so if you're a trophy hunter and wanted to 100% all of your trophies then most games had online mode that had those terrible online only trophies , and if you don't like paying for one of the simplistic feature the online play then you gonna left a lots of 90% to 80% on your trophies list with no platinum.

PSN is a free service and it requires financial support from players to maintain it online. Back on PS3, most people ignored PS+, the only way to help Sony with this service. This time, they removed online passes from games (like Uncharted, LBP Karting, The Last of Us), so you don’t have to worry about used voucher codes from preowned copies. That’s why they limited online to subscriber only on PS4: financial support.

If you only have the PS+ for online trophies (which the majority of people don’t care about), why not gather those games in a backlog until you subscribe later for some personal reason? Let’s say that they offer a game on your wishlist. You pay the subscription just because of that game and, in the meantime you unlock those online trophies. That’s what I’ll end up doing later this year when my sub is up. Or I’ll wait for another “days of play”/“black Friday” deals for a lower price.

I still have a lot of online trophies to do on PS4, but damn, year after year, I’m not in the mood to invest my time playing for online trophies (specifically DOOM).

4 minutes ago, TurtlePM said:

PSN is a free service and it requires financial support from players to maintain it online. Back on PS3, most people ignored PS+, the only way to help Sony with this service. This time, they removed online passes from games (like Uncharted, LBP Karting, The Last of Us), so you don’t have to worry about used voucher codes from preowned copies. That’s why they limited online to subscriber only on PS4: financial support.

If you only have the PS+ for online trophies (which the majority of people don’t care about), why not gather those games in a backlog until you subscribe later for some personal reason? Let’s say that they offer a game on your wishlist. You pay the subscription just because of that game and, in the meantime you unlock those online trophies. That’s what I’ll end up doing later this year when my sub is up. Or I’ll wait for another “days of play”/“black Friday” deals for a lower price.

I still have a lot of online trophies to do on PS4, but damn, year after year, I’m not in the mood to invest my time playing for online trophies (specifically DOOM).

I don't bother with games that have online mode at all especially those online only games since the ps3, the majority of the games I buy or play are single player, and thank god i'm not too horny to 100% everything in my trophy list or this will gonna be a big problem to me.

1 hour ago, Carol said:

Why are they stupid? Because you don’t like them? If a game has a multiplayer mode, shouldn’t it have online trophies? Shouldn’t a platinum represent a complete experience of the game? Or do you prefer a 5 minutes “Super Weekend Mode” platinum?

Well, yes, I don't like them. Because there are a ton of reasons why online trophies are stupid:

• They automatically put a time limit on a Platinum considering every game's online servers will inevitably shut down at some point.
  • You now have to pay extra to get the Platinum considering online play is now locked behind a paywall
  • You now no longer depend entirely on yourself to get the Platinum, considering you now also have to take into account the skill of other players, how populated the servers are at any given moment, and even how good the game's servers and netcode are. I cannot even begin to tell you how absolutely infuriating an experience it was getting the Platinum trophy for Assassin's Creed Brotherhood just because how how bad the servers were. Not being able to join multiplayer for no reason, players that weren't able to join my session for no reason...
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, jrdemr said:

Well, yes, I don't like them. Because there are a ton of reasons why online trophies are stupid:

• They automatically put a time limit on a Platinum considering every game's online servers will inevitably shut down at some point.
  • You now have to pay extra to get the Platinum considering online play is now locked behind a paywall
  • You now no longer depend entirely on yourself to get the Platinum, considering you now also have to take into account the skill of other players, how populated the servers are at any given moment, and even how good the game's servers and netcode are. I cannot even begin to tell you how absolutely infuriating an experience it was getting the Platinum trophy for Assassin's Creed Brotherhood just because how how bad the servers were. Not being able to join multiplayer for no reason, players that weren't able to join my session for no reason...

If you had as much fun as I do hunting online trophies, you wouldn’t say that! xD

Online trophies are the best!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, jrdemr said:

The only thing I agree with you is the fact you have to play for PS Plus to access online.

This is ONLY for PS4 games. PS3/Vita games still offer online multiplayer for free in the games that are available.

Otherwise, I have to disagree with this.

I have no sympathy for anybody who waited over 10 years to do the online trophies in say, Warhawk. Same thing with games like Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale, if you took too long to do the online trophies, then tough shit.

Some of the games I have with multiplayer I have decided to drop and move on. That's my choice. Nobody should be forced to do online trophies for ANYTHING just so they can grab hold onto a platinum trophy, and if you feel you are forced to do the online trophies in the first place because you can't stand the idea of having an incomplete game that is impossible to obtain because of shut servers, then you are doing this hobby wrong.

Also, Assassins Creed Brotherhood was a prime example of what you typically got with a lot of older PS3 games. Most of the PS4 games nowadays have been a lot more lenient towards the online trophies. Mortal Kombat 11 only has you doing THREE easy online trophies, compared to Mortal Kombat 2011 which had you doing a bunch of bullshit for it's online on top of having the 'My Kung Fu Is Stronger' trophy which is often considered to be the platinum breaker for a lot of people. Just look at a lot of PS3 games with their online trophies and compare them to the PS4 games. The games have gotten a lot easier with little online, and for somebody like you that hates online I would think that is a good thing.

I don't like the way Sony has been treating PS Plus as of lately as well as some of the other things they have done (censorship of anime games for instance). But you guys are making a mountain out of a molehill here.

And considering you also dislike digital games, you are basically limiting yourself quite a bit.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 1

There are two big dudes wearing black suits with PS logos on the sleeves banging on my door right now. 

My PS+ is active though, maybe they're going to force me to get PS Now?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Stargazer2600 said:

PS+ is $60 for a full year which isn't bad. However, I got mine for $40 for a full year by catching it on sale. Point is, PS+ is worth it especially if you get it on sale

This. They run PS+ on sale every Black Friday for around $40. If you can't afford $40 you should probably find a new hobby as someone else said. It would be great if it was free but it's not and never will be again. The big three all charge for it now and that isn't going to change.

2 minutes ago, TheLakota said:

Tools? Bootlickers? It's a wonder people repped your comment with drivel like that. 

What do you call a person who willingly gives up his bargaining power and just lets mega-corporations control the market? I'll help you out, starts with b ends with licker. They raise the prices, give you LESS stuff and you're still sitting there paying subscriptions and defending their insatiable greed online. Basically shilling for free. There is no better word for people like this.

7 minutes ago, panikooooos said:

What do you call a person who willingly gives up his bargaining power and just lets mega-corporations control the market? I'll help you out, starts with b ends with licker. They raise the prices, give you LESS stuff and you're still sitting there paying subscriptions and defending their insatiable greed online. Basically shilling for free. There is no better word for people like this.

I think it's interesting that Sony was basically kneeling down at us back in 2006 - 2011 because of their horrid start with their PlayStation 3 console and the fact that their entire network was hacked in May 2011. That basically cut off the online for MONTHS and I felt Sony was basically forced to give out free games to their fans and players who had to stick through with that.

Sony today is a lot different now. There was a change in tide once Xbox 360 gamers jumped the bandwagon during the Xbox One fiasco because of the way Microsoft was treating their product. Now you not only have Sony censoring anime games with no real rhyme or reason, they remove their PS3/Vita lineup out from the PS Plus free games category while increasing the subscription fee and failing to add anything else.

Mostly it's just casual gamers who pay to play online, as PS Plus is a requirement.

One reason why I said adding PS VR games to the mix wouldn't hurt. There's enough of them to warrant having one or two free PS VR games a month, which certainly helps the VR crowd.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Spaz said:

I think it's interesting that Sony was basically kneeling down at us back in 2006 - 2011 because of their horrid start with their PlayStation 3 console and the fact that their entire network was hacked in May 2011. That basically cut off the online for MONTHS and I felt Sony was basically forced to give out free games to their fans and players who had to stick through with that.

Sony today is a lot different now. There was a change in tide once Xbox 360 gamers jumped the bandwagon during the Xbox One fiasco because of the way Microsoft was treating their product. Now you not only have Sony censoring anime games with no real rhyme or reason, they remove their PS3/Vita lineup out from the PS Plus free games category while increasing the subscription fee and failing to add anything else.

Mostly it's just casual gamers who pay to play online, as PS Plus is a requirement.

One reason why I said adding PS VR games to the mix wouldn't hurt. There's enough of them to warrant having one or two free PS VR games a month, which certainly helps the VR crowd.

Exactly man, exactly. Back in the day Sony had to earn our trust, there was a healthy relationship between the consumer and the supplier, competition with Xbox helped too. Fast-forward to 2019 how can Sony respects its consumers now if their consumers are just mindless zombies who defend Sony unconditionally? It's so bizarre reading this thread, it's something I'd never thought I'd see, like people defending gas prices going up or something, it's both funny and enraging at the same time.

7 minutes ago, panikooooos said:

Exactly man, exactly. Back in the day Sony had to earn our trust, there was a healthy relationship between the consumer and the supplier, competition with Xbox helped too. Fast-forward to 2019 how can Sony respects its consumers now if their consumers are just mindless zombies who defend Sony unconditionally? It's so bizarre reading this thread, it's something I'd never thought I'd see, like people defending gas prices going up or something, it's both funny and enraging at the same time.

That is the major difference. There was competition, and therefore Sony had to compete with Microsoft.

Ask yourself, would Sony of made some of their decisions these past two years had they had somebody that was a proper competitor? I'm inclined to think no.

This entire generation has been a one sided race, with Sony grabbing all the profits and praise. Microsoft has virtually little to no power to even try to compete, especially not after the shit that happened with Xbox One. Phil Spencer is a douchebag who thinks single player games are dying and having 'live service' games is the way to go. Well, just look at Horizon Zero Dawn, God of War 2018, Marvel's Spider-Man, Detroit: Become Human and Days Gone. All single player. Even third party companies such as Ubisoft and Capcom have long gotten the message.

Shame for Microsoft. They had a pretty solid thing going.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Carol said:

If you had as much fun as I do hunting online trophies, you wouldn’t say that! xD

Online trophies are the best!

Sorry, but I just can't agree. Nothing but a huge headache to me if I'm going for the Platinum. I'm an exclusively single-player gamer, so being forced to go online (and worst of all, having to pay for it!) if I want to get the Platinum is just a big source of frustration for me. If I could play every game exactly as I did back in the Playstation 2 days (exclusively offline), that'd would be my dream come true.

Thankfully, online trophies are pretty much gone from the games I play, so I haven't had that headache much lately. I think the only games that I have for the PS4 that have online trophies are Dragon Ball FighterZ (and I got a friend of mine who's a huge fighting game expert to get those for me), Assassin's Creed Unity and Uncharted 4. I'll probably get the free PS+ period on one of my alternate accounts when I get to those two games (they're still in my backlog) and get the trophies out of the way as fast as I can.

Glad you're enjoying yourself online, though! :)