Sony forcing players into ps plus?

11 hours ago, TheYuriG said:

I've saved more money on sales for being a PS+ member than I've actually paid to be one. People still whine regardless, but whatever, I know I got my money's worth.

Not anymore   plus is 64 dollars a month and games has sales taxs in every state

3 hours ago, majob said:

Publishers determine the sale price for their games, not Sony, though they do accommodate for premium subscribers. It's the same thing for Xbox Live Gold.

My point though is that nothing here is a scam to rip people off (though an appropriate price reduction would be awesome but it's not hard just to wait for a sale or buy physical). I appreciate the response.

This is only in NA region, here is the the EU there's like 2 double discounts promotions in the year and you will find the same price of a normal promotion where you don't require ps+ to purchase the game after the ps+ promotion, this is the case of all games so this topic is not valid, you have just to wait for the next promotion when the game will be priced the same but without the need for ps+.

15 minutes ago, AJ_-_808 said:

You aren't being forced to play online. If you want to play online, that's one of the requirements, just like having an internet connection, a console, a controller, a TV, and electricity. Or are you people going to start with the "Oh my goodness, Sony is forcing me to pay my electric and internet bills in order to play" next?

*stare*

Technically all those requirements can be bypassed with a lot of effort and/or some petty theft. I overthought that tangent for so long.

5 minutes ago, panikooooos said:

"Oh they're not forcing you to pay for it, they just "REQUIRE" you to pay for it" Quick now, make another post and defend the mega-corporation which loves you personally and raises the the price of its services every other month because you know, reasons, or else the multi-billionaires' feelings might get hurt :(

That was a bit harsh but I agree with that guy/gal. You just should not defend a multi-billion dollar corporation for making the product you pay for worse. Why do people insist that you need to pay for online? I just do get why people don't want free online. You give Sony money every time you buy anything PlayStation related, unless it's used or something. The only possible good thing paying for online has done was maybe improve the online experience; Sony would have invested money to make it better even if it was free. Sorry I got so off topic.

If you bought Dead Space 2 during this sale after getting a month of PS+ for $10 dollars, PS+ would have payed for it's and save you 2 whole dollars. I know 2 dollars isn't much but you can get games for $2; they may not be very good games but it's still nice to save 2 whole dollars. I actually bought Monster Monpiece for $2 and I thought that game was pretty good. I'm shocked that nobody pointed out that PS+ is a good purchase in this instance. Even if you only bought Dead Space 2, your good pal Sony who loves you (I say with sarcasm) saved you 2 whole dollars during that sale. This is actually on topic since the first post was actually about this. This original poster has a PS4 (the trophies on their account say PS4) so they could take advantage of the 4 "free" games they could get with their month of PS+. 

I should mention that you can still pay the extra 2 dollars for Dead Space 2 if you really didn't want PS+. You're never required to get PS+ to use your PlayStation (at least for now (it could happen in the future and it would kind of our fault)) so you're not forced to buy it. The only negative things PS+ ever does is keep PS4 online behind a pay wall; online play is such a niche feature, I wonder why anybody even cares? (sarcasm) Also, why are cloud saves behind PS+? Sony could easily give non subscribers at least half a GB.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jrdemr said:

Yes, though shit. If I want to play the game, I'm still going to play it regardless of whether I can get the Platinum or not. I'm not exactly entertaining the idea that I'm entitled to the Platinum trophy and much less that a game isn't worth playing if I can't get it. And I will agree that most PS4 online trophies are a lot more lenient. Still, that doesn't mean online trophies aren't a terrible idea, especially considering that you now have to pay extra to even be able to get them. I think developers should be a bit more forward-thinking and consider that their servers aren't going to last forever, that their servers' populations also aren't going to last forever and that not all people get their stuff around release date.

I think we can both agree that having to pay to play online was bound to happen. We should be thankful that the PS3 gave us free online multiplayer in the first place. Xbox 360 required Xbox Live Gold to access multiplayer, and as a former 360 player myself I had to pay for it. 

Now Microsoft is struggling to even compete at all while Sony has made huge profits with PS Plus. I have always considered the “free” games to be a bonus, because most people just have the service so they can play online.

Honestly, I don’t think developers should be asked to keep online servers for most games to stay up far beyond their release date. 10 years is a long time and seeing servers last that long is impressive on its own. But I decided that I will not be going for the online trophies in Uncharted 2 or Uncharted 3 because that kind of boosting just isn’t fun to me. I don’t like boosting in general because as you said, you have to rely on other players to help you get your trophies. 

Even for games like Wipeout HD, which had its servers last a long time, I probably wasn’t going to get the platinum in it anyway because I lack the skill and racing games generally aren’t my cup of tea. 

PS4 games, with a few exceptions like Friday the 13th and Destiny 2, have been more single player oriented for their trophies. I see that as a good thing. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Spaz said:

PS4 games, with a few exceptions like Friday the 13th and Destiny 2, have been more single player oriented for their trophies. I see that as a good thing. 

Is this true?  I have not noticed a difference in focus of more single player trophies for the games I’ve played.  Granted a few are ports that were initially PS3, but it seems that online/multiplayer trophies are still quite common.

3 hours ago, SixyLove said:

If you bought Dead Space 2 during this sale after getting a month of PS+ for $10 dollars, PS+ would have payed for it's and save you 2 whole dollars. I know 2 dollars isn't much but you can get games for $2; they may not be very good games but it's still nice to save 2 whole dollars. I actually bought Monster Monpiece for $2 and I thought that game was pretty good. I'm shocked that nobody pointed out that PS+ is a good purchase in this instance. Even if you only bought Dead Space 2, your good pal Sony who loves you (I say with sarcasm) saved you 2 whole dollars during that sale. This is actually on topic since the first post was actually about this.

I wanted to buy Dead Space 1 & 2 but and I thought about getting ps plus for a month just to get these 2 games but there's nobody selling ps plus in the area I live in so I'll have to travel to another city in the country I live in just to get it . Not worth it just for Dead Space 1 & 2. Also I've read all the posts in this topic and from what I see . Looks like sales like this won't be forever . I know that before in other sales if you have ps plus you'll get 2-3$ off of the product which is a good deal for plus owners and will not affect the people that don't have it by much and making a sale exclusively for plus owners is also fine for me . But making a sale that non plus owners get just 40% off and for plus owners 80% off is just bullshit for me might as well made it a sale exclusive for plus owners

Hopefully from the posts I read in this topic these kind of sales won't be every sale coming in the near future

4 hours ago, panikooooos said:

Christ man, this thread is just something else. Dude obviously I want to fucking play online, it's part of almost every game, it's 2019 it's not the 90s anymore, yeah I get it thanks for repeating the same stuff over and over and over again. Keep playing stupid semantics games, "oh they're not forcing you to pay for it, they just "REQUIRE" you to pay for it", funniest shit I've read today. Next up another terrible argument since all that stuff you mentioned aren't services/products provided by Sony so it ends up making no sense whatsoever. Quick now, make another post and defend the mega-corporation which loves you personally and raises the the price of its services every other month because you know, reasons, or else the multi-billionaires' feelings might get hurt :(

No, online is NOT part of almost every game. Maybe it's part of almost every game YOU play, in which case, YOU have an extra expense of a whopping $40ish a year if you get plus on sale. YOU are not everybody. People that dont play online or take advantage of the sales/+ games and aren't subscribed aren't paying for psplus. Guess what, they're alive and well.  They weren't forced to pay for it.

All the services & products I listed are just as required to play online as the psplus subscription, regardless of who provides them. And technically, Sony does provide the console & controllers. Would you complain that you cant couch coop without paying for a 2nd controller? Those cost as much, if not more, than a year of psplus. Those darn mega-corporate thieves!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DamagingRob said:

That's also false. Lol. Illinois is still tax free. At least in my part of the state. Think I heard Chicagoans have to pay.

Think you meant to quote the other dude, as there is no Illinois state in Brazil?

3 hours ago, SixyLove said:

*stare*

Technically all those requirements can be bypassed with a lot of effort and/or some petty theft. I overthought that tangent for so long.

That was a bit harsh but I agree with that guy/gal. You just should not defend a multi-billion dollar corporation for making the product you pay for worse. Why do people insist that you need to pay for online? I just do get why people don't want free online. You give Sony money every time you buy anything PlayStation related, unless it's used or something. The only possible good thing paying for online has done was maybe improve the online experience; Sony would have invested money to make it better even if it was free. Sorry I got so off topic.

Counter-arguing doesnt necessarily equate to defending Sony's policies or practices.  I dislike that plus is required for online play & cloud saves. I also dislike the removal of the ps3 & vita psplus monthly games. I also dislike their censoring of certain games.  However, I am an adult, and I understand certain policies are put into place for various business/marketing reasons. Until the point where I no longer wish to continue using their services, I will accept their policies.  Also, accepting their policies does not equate to defending them.

10 minutes ago, TheYuriG said:

Think you meant to quote the other dude, as there is no Illinois state in Brazil?

Probably should have quoted him, too. But yeah, doesn't affect me either, is why I quoted you. Probably still getting my money's worth out of my subscription. Doesn't take much if you buy it around the holidays when it's typically discounted. 

• Like 1

I've been pretty happy with letting my membership lapse as I like owning the games I play outright anyway, the monthly games are getting worse and I've finished the ones I wanted to play, and I haven't touched MP games in ages (Well, I guess I miss playing Rocket League a bit but I have a gaming PC anyways).

Sony isn't 'forcing' anyone to buy anything, the price isn't that exorbitant considering it's for an entire YEAR, but if you don't want to play MP and if the monthly games are terrible then really it's only Sony that hasn't justified the cost to its consumers. People who play MP games, the cost justifies itself, but for everyone else who enjoy the monthly 'free' games and the cloud saving for peace of mind, then yeah, I'd say lately they haven't been justifying the sub, and they'll only lose more gamers like me who can just either play MP on another platform or get by on the vast amount of SP games.

IMO, they're long overdue for putting some more of their first party titles on plus, and upping the games to 3 a month.

4 hours ago, Spaz said:

I think we can both agree that having to pay to play online was bound to happen. We should be thankful that the PS3 gave us free online multiplayer in the first place. Xbox 360 required Xbox Live Gold to access multiplayer, and as a former 360 player myself I had to pay for it.

The only reason "it was bound to happen" was because Microsoft did it and Sony saw how people were willing to fork over their cash just so that they could play online and thought they'd get in on the gravy train. Heck, Nintendo would also never do it considering their spotty relationship with online play, but then they saw they were the only ones not getting any money from all those monthly subscriptions and got a bad case of FOMO.

4 hours ago, Spaz said:

Now Microsoft is struggling to even compete at all while Sony has made huge profits with PS Plus. I have always considered the “free” games to be a bonus, because most people just have the service so they can play online.

While I would like being able to get online trophies and having cloud saves, I don't think Plus is really worth it for me. I do like my trophy lists complete, but if I can't get the online trophies, I don't really mind all that much. I'll just get the trophies for the part of the game I actually bought the game for. While cloud saves are convenient, considering I can just make offline backups, it isn't strictly necessary. And just as you said, since I hate digital games, the free monthly games don't do anything for me. I have no interest in playing 98% of them anyway, so...

4 hours ago, Spaz said:

Honestly, I don’t think developers should be asked to keep online servers for most games to stay up far beyond their release date. 10 years is a long time and seeing servers last that long is impressive on its own.

Neither do I. But I do think that, with the exception of exclusively online-focused games, no trophy list should contain online trophies since that automatically puts a timer on the Platinum. If the main draw of your game is the single-player portion, then just make all of your trophies offline.

4 hours ago, Spaz said:

But I decided that I will not be going for the online trophies in Uncharted 2 or Uncharted 3 because that kind of boosting just isn’t fun to me. I don’t like boosting in general because as you said, you have to rely on other players to help you get your trophies.

I don't like it either, but I want to at least try if the trophies aren't a complete and total pain in the ass. I like my trophy lists complete and I've actually got all of the online trophies for all of my games so far. And with boosting, at least you get the more complicated online trophies out of the way as fast as possible instead of having to rely on sheer dumb luck.

4 hours ago, Spaz said:

Even for games like Wipeout HD, which had its servers last a long time, I probably wasn’t going to get the platinum in it anyway because I lack the skill and racing games generally aren’t my cup of tea.

Funnily enough, all of the trophies I haven't been able to get so far were all offline ? And the reason I wasn't able to get them was due to them either being huge, boring grinds or just requiring Bruce Lee-like reflexes. Well, at least I can always go back and try my luck again whenever I feel like it instead of having to rely on the servers being open or the population being active.

4 hours ago, Spaz said:

Agreed. I think, with the the exception of some games by the big publishers, the PS4 has being going back to what made the PS2 generation so great - compelling, original single player experiences that rely on the developers' imaginations rather than on the unpredictability of multiplayer modes, which is obviously reflected on the trophy lists. I've been having a lot of fun with this generation and it doesn't look like it'll stop any time soon.

Days of play is 7th june - 17 june 2019 and usually they have 1 year PS PLUS for a really good price, last year I think it was 60% cheaper, and remember - from august the PS Plus price will go up (at least in many EU countries) so buy a few years if the have a great price at the sale in a few days because you can stack up a few year on top of eachother. Last year I bought 3 x PS Plus years so I'm good until summer 2021 before I need to pay for a price increase. I think I will buy another 1-2 more years if they have a good price during Days of Play sale. ;)  

3 hours ago, AJ_-_808 said:

No, online is NOT part of almost every game. Maybe it's part of almost every game YOU play, in which case, YOU have an extra expense of a whopping $40ish a year if you get plus on sale. YOU are not everybody. People that dont play online or take advantage of the sales/+ games and aren't subscribed aren't paying for psplus. Guess what, they're alive and well.  They weren't forced to pay for it.

All the services & products I listed are just as required to play online as the psplus subscription, regardless of who provides them. And technically, Sony does provide the console & controllers. Would you complain that you cant couch coop without paying for a 2nd controller? Those cost as much, if not more, than a year of psplus. Those darn mega-corporate thieves!

Man yeah, I'm so entitled for wanting to play videogames online without companies charging me fees for it, you know, a thing I've been able to do on PC since I was a fucking toddler. Paying for videogames isn't required either, go use your ps4 as a paperweight or a door stopper, it'll probably make less noise too. Ps Plus is a direct cost, directly tied to the online services, all the others are indirect costs, some of them may be required but they are not directly tied to the online services and thus they're irrelevant to the discussion. Somehow you'll probably still have trouble getting this simple fact, and post another smug paragraph where you mention oxygen or earth as ps plus requirements, because god forbid you don't use any fallacious tactic you got to defend greedy billionaires today, it is your duty sir please go ahead.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, panikooooos said:

Man yeah, I'm so entitled for wanting to play videogames online without companies charging me fees for it, you know, a thing I've been able to do on PC since I was a fucking toddler. Paying for videogames isn't required either, go use your ps4 as a paperweight or a door stopper, it'll probably make less noise too. Ps Plus is a direct cost, directly tied to the online services, all the others are indirect costs, some of them may be required but they are not directly tied to the online services and thus they're irrelevant to the discussion. Somehow you'll probably still have trouble getting this simple fact, and post another smug paragraph where you mention oxygen or earth as ps plus requirements, because god forbid you don't use any fallacious tactic you got to defend greedy billionaires today, it is your duty sir please go ahead.

That's because on PC you're using your own network and your own security.

Sony like Microsoft have to make money to keep their networks up. Only reason ps3 online was free was to incentivize people to buy a ps3 over the xbox at the time as it lagged badly in sales.

I don't like it either, but it's not going to change.

Even Nintendo charges for online now

• Like 2