Sony forcing players into ps plus?

i noticed i can't backup my saves files to usb stick no more. First i thought it was my usb stick, but i tried lots of sticks and they all fail.

I get different error codes, all meaningless if i look them up.

now you could say my usb port is broken but my ps4 got more usb ports and they all dont work, with different sticks.

kinda sucks so i believe sony is behind this.

personally i don't need plus right now, got a shitload of games in my backlog and i first wanto finish tat. but now i had to grab plus just so i can backup a save file which was need to plat a game.

sucks...

anyone else have this problem too?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SnowxSakura said:

That's because on PC you're using your own network and your own security.

Sony like Microsoft have to make money to keep their networks up. Only reason ps3 online was free was to incentivize people to buy a ps3 over the xbox at the time as it lagged badly in sales.

I don't like it either, but it's not going to change.

Even Nintendo charges for online now

Come on man, when I say on PC obviously I'm referring to platforms like Steam etc which provide their own networks and security, why are you playing dumb, can I get a non-disingenuous reply for a change? Stop with this shit, Sony is not an indie company it's a multi-billion dollar giant, dominating an industry and asking more and more money for a shitty service which gets hacked all the time. Compare Steam's free service, to Psn which goes down every week or so, it's a joke. And obviously Nintendo is charging money now, it's a console cartel

39 minutes ago, panikooooos said:

Come on man, when I say on PC obviously I'm referring to platforms like Steam etc which provide their own networks and security, why are you playing dumb, can I get a non-disingenuous reply for a change? Stop with this shit, Sony is not an indie company it's a multi-billion dollar giant, dominating an industry and asking more and more money for a shitty service which gets hacked all the time. Compare Steam's free service, to Psn which goes down every week or so, it's a joke. And obviously Nintendo is charging money now, it's a console cartel

Sony is a for-profit publicly-owned company that makes stuff people are free to decide on their own if they want to buy. It’s peoples responsibility as informed consumers to know what they’re in for. 

Comparing what you want today to similar options in the past is up to you.

What kind of reply are you looking for?

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, panikooooos said:

Don’t discredit yourself by making things up. PSN doesn’t go down every week or regularly gets hacked. Some of your arguments are valid but not all. Sony are a business who need to make money, ‘profit’ isn’t a dirty word, if companies didn’t make profits they wouldn’t be able to survive in the first place or provide the services they do.

Sony charge what they do as firstly they can! If people are happy to pay it then they’re correct to charge, individuals will decide whether it’s value for money or not and those that don’t can make the decision not to subscribe. Trophies are not the be all and end all of playing games, enjoyment should be first and then you need to make the call whether your $3-$5 per month is worth the enjoyment you get.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

Sony is a for-profit publicly-owned company that makes stuff people are free to decide on their own if they want to buy. It’s peoples responsibility as informed consumers to know what they’re in for. 

Comparing what you want today to similar options in the past is up to you.

What kind of reply are you looking for?

I don't disagree with your post so I don't know what you expect me to say. This whole argument started because I stated my dislike for the people defending this company's greed, because it affects all of us. If you're not going to exercise your bargaining power rights and just let a company raise the price and give you lower quality products without complaining you are a brainwashed fanboy I'm sorry that's just not logic reasoning and I'm going to call you out for it because as I said before it affects all of us. A small amount of rich guys has turned the mobile market into microtransaction shovelware. Now a small amount of rich guys is slowly turning the console market into a heap of microtransactions, dlc exclusive cut content, pay to go online, pay to get discounts (lol), season passes etc, all of these are interconnected and the main cause of it is dumb frivolous consumers. Should I just nod and smile and just let it all burn?

6 minutes ago, gazdavis11 said:

Don’t discredit yourself by making things up. PSN doesn’t go down every week or regularly gets hacked. Some of your arguments are valid but not all. Sony are a business who need to make money, ‘profit’ isn’t a dirty word, if companies didn’t make profits they wouldn’t be able to survive in the first place or provide the services they do.

Sony charge what they do as firstly they can! If people are happy to pay it then they’re correct to charge, individuals will decide whether it’s value for money or not and those that don’t can make the decision not to subscribe. Trophies are not the be all and end all of playing games, enjoyment should be first and then you need to make the call whether your $3-$5 per month is worth the enjoyment you get.

PSN doesn't go down frequently, huh, might wanna check this one out you'll be surprised. (https://downdetector.com/status/playstation-network/archive) How many times has psn been hacked like 11 times now? That's normal too I suppose. I do not disagree that profit is necessary but as I said before Sony is dominating the console industry, the services they provide are subpar for the money they're making, as I said take a look at Valve's Steam with all the anti-cheat systems, in game browser, 80% sales, quality control (somewhat gone now), user interface, steam workshop, gifts, market etc. etc. All that is free. And for the last paragraph, that's what I said mostly, I do not blame a company for wanting to maximize its profits, I blamed the people who blindly defend the company as if their life depends on it. Fanboyism at its core is what is is.

• Like 1

I suppose I was basing my experiences of PSN. I haven’t experienced it being down for a good couple of years however I probably don’t play as much as other people due to ‘real life’ commitments. 11 times hacked does surprise me actually 

“Forced” in the title is clickbait and the number of replies supports that.

Folks argue that Plus does not offer enough to warrant the subscription, but that they offer additional sales as part of Plus is bad thing?  It is an incentive much like cloud saves, monthly games, etc.

I don’t mind paying for Plus, pretty cheap per month but I doubt I would without needing to for online play.  I sure didn’t on ps3.  I have a backlog as it is for games I really want to play, so hard to justify skipping those and playing the monthly offerings.

The cloud saves and extra sales are just extra incentives but I (and most others) for have it online play.

it is a service and the multi-billionaire greedy refrain gets tiresome.  If it is not if value to you, then drop it and get elsewhere or only use it occasionally.  If Sony outprices the market for it, their earnings will be hit but I don’t think they are close to that.  

Edited by djb5f

Another month..another "entitled" gamer making a thread about PS Plus..

Coming from the Xbox 360 to the PS4 and not owning a PS3 free online multiplayer was never a thing for me.

Do people not realize that the free online multiplayer was Sony's way of attracting players to there "new" PS3 system after the Xbox was well entrenched.

It was a brilliant marketing move that was never intended to stay "unmonitized" forever.

Either way.. unless you don't buy any digital games at all its easy to recoupe your membership fee in no time.

Edited by gruffiiti

2 hours ago, panikooooos said:

Steam is not providing you with hardware, it's simply a software based client. You use your own PC as the hardware for Steam services whereas Sony is providing you a console that's usually sold below its production cost and must pay to maintain its own network service as well. The differences are there whether you want to see them or not but companies charge for their online services to cover costs associated with using them on their hardware as well as to generate revenue. 

Edited by majob
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, pinkrobot_pb said:

Yeah I always download the servers so I don't have to play online.

This is great stuff, please tell me more.

Why bother? To receive another smartass reply? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

2 hours ago, panikooooos said:

Sorry, but even when it comes to steam, your own computer security is still YOUR responsibility. If someone hacks your computer, it's on you and whatever software you're running to protect it. Consoles are an enclosed environment and you can't control the security that is used on it.

Also "come on man" you need to relax before you have a heart attack

• Like 4

Shocker, a business company is using different strategies not only to make money of their services, but also to compete and match with their competitors. No one is forcing you...

Oh boy...everyone who's whining about paying $60 a year will have a heart attack when online streaming with subscription models will be the only way to play video games.

Are they coming over to your house and holding a gun to your head until you buy Plus? No? Then it's not forcing. Even if they made Plus a requirement to even use the console at all it still wouldn't be forcing, you'd have the option to just not use it.

7 hours ago, panikooooos said:

Man yeah, I'm so entitled for wanting to play videogames online without companies charging me fees for it, you know, a thing I've been able to do on PC since I was a fucking toddler. Paying for videogames isn't required either, go use your ps4 as a paperweight or a door stopper, it'll probably make less noise too. Ps Plus is a direct cost, directly tied to the online services, all the others are indirect costs, some of them may be required but they are not directly tied to the online services and thus they're irrelevant to the discussion. Somehow you'll probably still have trouble getting this simple fact, and post another smug paragraph where you mention oxygen or earth as ps plus requirements, because god forbid you don't use any fallacious tactic you got to defend greedy billionaires today, it is your duty sir please go ahead.

How do you not understand that during the PS3 days, Sony fully covered the bill for online service in order to gain in the market.  Have you ever heard of a loss leader? It's when (for example) your grocery store sells something below cost to incentivize you to come in and shop, with the hope that you'll spend enough to cover the initial loss leader, and come back again in the future as a regular patron. Next time you go to that store, the list leader is, surprise surprise, regular price. Same concept. Now that Sony has a stable market, they can charge/share the cost of running the network you're using.  Honestly, any further argument against this is just you being stubborn and/or dense.

And yes, btw, paying for a video game is a requirement by someone at some point in time.  Free to play games are hoping for microtransactions or donations, pirated games are irrelevant to this arguement as they're illegal. Older games you've downloaded for free have had other people pay for them at some point, so try again.

Edit: At this point, you've had several people explain to you how business and the real world work, if you're still not getting it, that's on you man

Edited by AJ_-_808
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, majob said:

Sony is providing you a console that's usually sold below its production cost and must pay to maintain its own network service as well

Poor Sony man poor Sony, you're right, they're pretty much making ends meet with the 100 million ps4 consoles they have sold, no scrap that they're actually losing money but they keep giving us consoles and videogames out of the goodness of their heart, I might consider donating to their Patreon after your post, I hope this indie company becomes big one day such kind hearted charitable people, thanks for this extremely intelligent post

I guess it depends where you're from and your income, but $50 (when you get the 365 days card on sale) is still pretty cheap; little over $4 a month. Sure, there are months I don't like, or already own, Plus games but in the long run it's always worth it.

What I suggest, buy some extra 365 cards before the price goes up again. Even if you won't end up using it, you can always sell it.

I understand the hate of subscription method, it adds up; Spotify/HBO/Netflix/PSPlus but that's the world we live in. Hell, I can't even get a beer for $4 in a pub.

Also, gaming has never been cheaper. I remember saving all my pocket money to get two or three games a year. Now if I don't mind waiting a bit I can get fairly new games for 60% off. 

Edited by theSpirae
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, SnowxSakura said:

Why bother? To receive another smartass reply? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sorry, but even when it comes to steam, your own computer security is still YOUR responsibility. If someone hacks your computer, it's on you and whatever software you're running to protect it. Consoles are an enclosed environment and you can't control the security that is used on it.

Also "come on man" you need to relax before you have a heart attack

Yeah so? I still paid for the console what is your point again? I'd make a remark on the petty heart attack comment but I don't want another mod warning nice bait but I won't bite thanks

13 minutes ago, AJ_-_808 said:

How do you not understand that during the PS3 days, Sony fully covered the bill for online service in order to gain in the market.  Have you ever heard of a loss leader? It's when (for example) your grocery store sells something below cost to incentivize you to come in and shop, with the hope that you'll spend enough to cover the initial loss leader, and come back again in the future as a regular patron. Next time you go to that store, the list leader is, surprise surprise, regular price. Same concept. Now that Sony has a stable market, they can charge/share the cost of running the network you're using.  Honestly, any further argument against this is just you being stubborn and/or dense.

And yes, btw, paying for a video game is a requirement by someone at some point in time.  Free to play games are hoping for microtransactions or donations, pirated games are irrelevant to this arguement as they're illegal. Older games you've downloaded for free have had other people pay for them at some point, so try again.

Edit: At this point, you've had several people explain to you how business and the real world work, if you're still not getting it, that's on you man

Steam and Psn basically have the same amount of users if not more, why can Steam do everything psn can and way more for free yet Sony somehow is forced to implement mandatory Ps Plus to recover from supposed losses as an industry leader with no competition? If that's true it just shows how incompetent this company is, they make us pay for all the millions they have lost because of hackers due to their nonexistent security system.

6 minutes ago, panikooooos said:

Steam and Psn basically have the same amount of users if not more, why can Steam do everything psn can and way more for free yet Sony somehow is forced to implement mandatory Ps Plus to recover from supposed losses as an industry leader with no competition? If that's true it just shows how incompetent this company is, they make us pay for all the millions they have lost because of hackers due to their nonexistent security system.

That, I cannot answer because I'm not very familiar with steam.

I would venture a guess that steam is: 

paid by advertisements

paid a portion of what they sell

doesnt have R&D costs to (re)cover

doesnt have shareholders to cover

doesnt have the same type of workforce to pay

doesnt directly host the servers you connect to/play multiplayer on

utilizes P2P hosting more readily

I may be wrong, but I dont think you can fairly compare steam to Sony's PSN

Requiring PS plus to play online is a pure scam though. I already pay for my internet, I already paid the full price for my game and now I'd have to pay another fee on top of that to access the online part of a game I already paid for with internet I'm already paying for. I can understand the free games stuff and discount. But absolute scam for online play.

• Like 3