Should trophies have multiple ways to unlock?

Now the majority of us probably hate online trophies, but they're going no where because publishers use it as a sales tactic, even though personally I think it hurts a portion of the sales. 

Anyway. With that in mind, surely it would be best to suit both sides of the trophy gamers by doing multiple unlocks. Some games have indeed done it in the past and it works a treat. Last one I remember was Mass Effect 3 or something where you could play so many games online or complete the game on the hardest setting twice. Most people that go for the completion of a trophy list probably end up boosting a lot, and whilst you can get in some good banter with the folks you hook up with, its still dog s**t boring to do, especially if the requirements are total dog s**t. 

Now at the moment I have a single player only profile so its all down to skill or whatever if I want to get the full completion. No boosting needed. And if a game has MP requirements I will probably just borrow it off a pal and play it on my other account, and thats the problem. With how popular digi-sales have come along the last couple of years in gaming, multiple ways to unlock trophies to even further backlog sales for devs and publishers would only benefit. Even a sale digi price has to net them more than retail sales. They wouldn't have to worry about server costs as much, and no matter how late in the day a sale might be, the publisher gets some of that juicy completion profit. 

Ubisoft are a belting company for providing for both sides when it comes to trophies, but even they could benefit from this. And then you have the other end where a not so good publisher puts out an average game but hammers it with online requirements, and everyone knows they will never bother with it. Where as an average game on sale with the possibility to get the completion could easily net them some backlog sales.

And as for the remasters that still feature online trophies and such, are you kidding me? 

I think at some point everyone looks into the trophy/achievement system, and I bet most are put off by the online side. 

Or maybe not. I dunno. Just asking the question.... Gawd!

:D

So what would your opinion on this be. 

PS: Sorry if this is in the wrong section. 

Edited by DaveMcDamage
  • Like 2

Some Mass Effect games already do this. I don't know, i feel like it's better to have a single unified experience for all trophy hunters. I just think that if people hate online games so much, it's just as simple as not actually playing them or accepting you won't get all trophies. There are several games that I don't want to put up with, I simply just play them on my alt and carry on with my day or skip them entirely.

I see online trophies as part of the challenge as any other single player trophy, except you can boost the vast majority of them and therefore they present no challenge whatsoever at that point.

• Like 1

I like the idea of having multiple unlocks. Mass Effect 3 is the only game I know of that did it well. You couldn't skip the online trophies entirely because 2 trophies required online play or the use of a mobile game. Both ways of getting the trophies where fairly balanced and both approachs had their pros and cons. I think it would be more interesting if there were more trophies that could be earned in multiple ways.

9 minutes ago, TheYuriG said:

Some Mass Effect games already do this. I don't know, i feel like it's better to have a single unified experience for all trophy hunters. I just think that if people hate online games so much, it's just as simple as not actually playing them or accepting you won't get all trophies. There are several games that I don't want to put up with, I simply just play them on my alt and carry on with my day or skip them entirely.

I see online trophies as part of the challenge as any other single player trophy, except you can boost the vast majority of them and therefore they present no challenge whatsoever at that point.

Exactly my thoughts.
Sounds a bit harsh, but if you want a trophy, then you have to exactly do what the trophy wants, it's as simple as that. The debate is always the same regarding difficulty trophies. If you want a platinum, you have to complete the game on difficulty <insert name here>.

If it bothers you that much, you should skip the game or deal with it.

1 hour ago, TheYuriG said:

what do the ME games do?

I wish more MP games would give you the option of playing with bots as opposed to real players. Not just because I don't care for playing with other people, but mainly that every MP isn't going to be popular. I'd like to have the chance to earn those trophies without relying on having enough players in a lobby or boosting sessions.

I think that by avoiding games with MP trophies for the sake of your completion, you will eventually hit a point where a game with MP is a NO GO in an instant. I have a few long and difficult boostings done, and about 6/7 ahead of me, but I see that as a way of breaking the routine. Yes, I will probably never do Far Cry 2 or Bad Company, but Bioshock 2 or Arkham Origins aren't too extreme to bail on them. And only the MINORITY of really weird hunters will go out of their way to play some shitty 3/10 game for 100 hours just to get the platinum because the devs implemented ridiculous trophy requirements. It never bothered me in my 5 years trophy hunting career, and I doubt that most of the players feel that as well. If I really like some game and I want to prolong the experience with said game, I will play online even if there are no online trophies. I have over 1000 hours played only in TLOU, and at least 10 000 hours across all Battlefields and Call Of Dutys. So just like in every other case, there's some grey area here, "point of view depends on the point of sitting".

Single player trophies should have one way of unlocking and multiplayer trophies should have one way of unlocking until the servers are down. Then they should have another way of unlocking. Computer enemies in multiplayer wouldn't hurt. It would help servers stay alive longer(easier to find games on dead servers means that players will stay longer) and make all multiplayer trophies possible forever. I think everyone is with me in saying death to impossible server based trophies.

It's not online but Tales of Zestiria (and likely other Tales of games) give you two options to get the beating the final boss on X difficulty trophies. The hardest one was either beat the final boss on the hardest difficulty or play through the whole game 5 times I believe. It's likely faster just to beat the final boss on the hardest difficulty but I could see where some people would play through the whole game 5 times instead. Again, not what you asked for but it's still an example for trophies with two different unlock options.

Rez Infinite does it too with get a perfect score on each stage or play for 10 hours on one trophy.

I've played a couple games that had multiple ways to unlock a trophy. I know Guacamelee had some in the dlc trophies where you could do a really hard SP fight with a gimped costume or do something with a second player. I can't remember the other game I've personally seen it in, but it DOES happen.

On 6/2/2019 at 9:41 PM, HellcoreFire said:

I think some trophies should be bronze/silver or gold depending on the difficulty you unlock them on. Maybe the same could be done with wether you unlock them in sp or mp. Problem is how would it work with the point system?

I had an idea like that a while back. It was when I was playing Mass Effect 2 and I completed it 32 times.... yeah.... loved the game. You actually platinum it in two plays, but its just so good. But I was thinking it could be cool to number how many times you would have unlocked a trophy with perhaps a number next to it. Probably a pain in the arse to implement though and doubtful many would make use of it. 

4 hours ago, DaveMcDamage said:

I had an idea like that a while back. It was when I was playing Mass Effect 2 and I completed it 32 times.... yeah.... loved the game. You actually platinum it in two plays, but its just so good. But I was thinking it could be cool to number how many times you would have unlocked a trophy with perhaps a number next to it. Probably a pain in the arse to implement though and doubtful many would make use of it. 

If after a 100 times you would unlock a prestige platinum, many on here would make use of it.

Edited by HellcoreFire
Reply was doubled.

12 hours ago, djb5f said:

Online is not a sales tactic, it is often the biggest part of games.  A huge portion of gamers only play online/competitive.  Shooters, sports games, etc.

True, but its a sales tactic none the less. 

Whilst I would love the idea of multi ways to unlock a trophy it will never happen, mostly because trophy gamers might consider not buying PS+ as they could 100% games without going online. Thus,online gaming being a sales tactic not just for the publisher but mostly for SONY. 

For games that only have a few online trophies then yes it would be great if they could future proof the list from server closure by having alternative ways to obtaining the trophies. 

This isn't going to work for games with massive amounts of online trophies, but if you dislike online trophies you should probably just avoid those games

• Like 1

I avoid games that require n hours of online gaming. I’m fine with 1-2 hour of introductory trophies or do 1-3 missions in coop, but nothing more than that.

Devs should include a bot mode with the ability to unlock in-game cheats/modifiers for online trophies.

Online trophies hurt sales, not very much, but still, there are people who vomit just for the idea of online...

• Like 1

On 6/9/2019 at 1:24 AM, kanzenchaos said:

I believe making online trophies as DLC would be the best option, so people who don't pay for PS+, or can't be bothered with online, could at least get the platinum trophy.

But of course, as said, it wouldn't be an option with 100% online games.

Yeah I used to think if downloading both mp and sp trophy patches would be an option, but again for those who rely on retail only and have no net access they would be prevented from getting anything. Though in this day and age if you can afford a PS4 then chances are you're doing well enough to also own net access.