For those who do the trophy cleanup at a certain point, do you start with the hardest/rarest trophies first?

ARH65512

For me, it depends, sometimes I look at the trophy list when I hold the PS button. Other times I go to the site and see the rarest trophies here (it's more reliable here than the PSN itself since most people don't play for trophies). 

Edited by ARH65512
  • Like 2

I try to search for a guide and see if I can make progress at two of them at a time. When I finish those that I can do together, I do the ones closer to me in the game when applicable, and if not, I do the most common first, my logic being that they should be the easier ones should train me to do the harder ones later.

I usually start with whatever is the least time consuming, be that through chapter select or having to do another playthrough on a higher difficulty. Then it's the more difficult and grindy trophies that are usually last. 

Usually I start doing trophies related with sidequests while doing grindy trophies (for example, "kill 50 using X method"). Next I go after the collectables and then I clean up the missing trophies.

I only get DLC trophies after getting the platinum in the game even if I own the DLC before hand

• Like 1

First of all I check if I have some pesky multiplayer trophies and see if anyone is online. If multiplayer is dead then off to Boosting-land, eager to clean them up ASAP. 

After getting the multiplayer trophies I can relax and finish the rest of the Single player ones at my own leisure. Load up a guide, see which is the most optimal path, totally not following that path because I want to do stuff differently...taking my sweet time if the game is actually good and I enjoy it.

But normally , easiest trophies first, hardest last.

• Like 3

Generally not.  When looking at a trophy list, I tend to try to knock out the less rare ones first and go from there.  Although, it really depends on how difficult and/or annoying the rarer ones are and what I feel like going after next.  I don't have any set method, really.

I like to do the hardest difficulty out of the gate for most games then clean up the easy stuff when there is more freedom involved. Although sometimes, missable trophies make me juggle the order around.

I've never actually looked at the rarity of a trophy til I synch my trophies on here.

Edited by sepheroithisgod

Nope, not really. The rarest trophies in the difficult games I (have) play(ed) usually become easier with practice, so I play through the games as it feels natural, and go for the extra challenges later. 

For example, doing Impossible Boy in SMB as the first no-death run is certainly possible (and I know people who have done so), but it becomes much easier after having some practice with the game.

But there are exceptions. For Unravel 2, for example, most people find the hardest trophy to be beating the gold medal time for the second level, Hideaway. I did that one first nonetheless, since I preferred to do the levels in order.  So yeah, generally I follow a progress route that feels natural. 

Edited by Arcesus7

For me, it's a mix of completing the easier trophies and trying to work towards doing the most time-consuming ones. It's never happened to me before, but my fear is that I somehow lose all of my progress and have to start from scratch. Like with Kingdom Hearts 3 where some of the trophies are tied together, like getting the Orichalcum+ ingredients for the Ultime weapon.

Depends on the game. Currently doing blind runs of Detroit and a few others, I'll look at trophies afterwards.

But a long game like Yukaza, I look through the trophies for grind and missable. That way I can keep a lookout or start the grind early while playing.

I never look at difficulty or rarity. I look for funny names to add to milestones. 

I only very recently started looking for trophies, before I've just been playing for fun and then move on when something else comes along. I will probably be sticking with that way for most games but will check here first for any miss-able or grind or online trophies. Any clean up will just be starting with what looks like the easiest/quickest to complete or if it's open world is it close?

I'm planning to get the platinum for MGS2 - 4 on PS3, I've checked through their respective trophy lists here and decided that as I've already played them multiple times when released I'll probably be skipping the story parts (at least after the first play-through) and just sticking to the guide.

As a rule of thumb I will usually look for a spoiler free guide in order to make sure I have an optimal playthrough and that all missable / collectibles trophies are accounted for.

For grindy trophies I will try to understand what the requirements are so I could start working on them as I go along, if I find out a good grinding spot I will usually take the time to grind them out and get it done with so I could take it off my mind and focus on the game.

For me an optimal run is when I achieve the plat along with the "finish the game" trophy as long as it is possible.

If I need to keep playing after the story ends with no other purpose then to grind, it will significantly reduce the chance I will be interested enough in the game in order to achieve the plat...

Sometimes if there is a really hard trophy I will try it at some point for a day or two and this will be my indication if I want to grind for the plat or not (i.e. the karaoke trophies in the Yakuza games, I knew that if I can't manage to handle those rhythm section then there is no reason to grind my time in the Mahjong section).

But you know, it depends in the game, I had games that I loved so much that I didn't care to just sit and grind my time away because I really wanted the plat.

I personally usually start with what's less time consuming in a game that I'm feeling like playing, if I know that I will not stay around to finish everything. If I'm focused on doing everything, then I will take the hardest part out of the way as soon as I get used to the game again (long breaks make me forget stuff, so I need some time to get used to the game again). 

Also I do trophy clean up when I'm between games, or can't focus on a specific game, at this times, I will go for whatever I feel like on several games to see if something triggers me into continuing to play to finish a game. 

Edited by Han_the_Dragon

• If there are missables, I'll try to get them on the first playthrough.
  • If the game is long and you need to play on the hardest setting for a trophy, I'll go for it on the first playthrough.

This is unfortunate, because it absolutely ruins the way I experience the game the first time.

But, if chapter select is available, and difficulties don't stack / the game is short, I'll always try to go from easy misc towards hard, because by the time I finish with the cleaning up, I'll be ready for a harder mode, and at that point I won't be distracted by collectibles / etc. 

I'll be doing this for Metal Gear Rising, because while I'm collecting stuff, I'm getting better at controls and I'm unlocking powerups still, so maybe I'll have a chance with the harder stuff later.

Generally I go for easier trophies first, I’d rather see more progress being made then only have to focus on a few trophies. Though I’ll sometimes do the online first (which is usually harder) just to get it out of the way (like Far Cry 2 or more recently Far Cry 5) or if I’m worried that another session won’t show up for a while.

Edited by Charizarzar

Depends on the game but my first priority when looking at cleaning games on my list up is usually going through and making sure I have all the online trophies completed before the game dies completely. After that I usually go through from hardest to easiest unless I can do one playthrough if I do everything on hard first I will save time and just do it all at once if possible.

It depends on the game really. My process is to check a guide and look for trophies that can glitch or missables if it’s a long game and look out for those (but otherwise I don’t like to play with a guide out). I always start my games on normal difficulty and if I remember some misc trophies from the guide I try to go for them if the opportunity arises. Once my playthrough is done, if there’s chapter select or free roam after the story, I clean up all the easy misc stuff and if a playthrough on harder difficulty is required I go for it last. Now if there isn’t a chapter select or free roam I start a new game on hardest difficulty if required and once that’s done I start again on the lowest difficulty to clean up what I missed.

I'll start with blind playthrough depending on what type of game I'm playing; visual novels, games that are multiple playthrough based and rhythm games I'll start blind. I used to play every game blind first but I've been burned enough by missable trophies that I'll check a guide for them first if I believe the game is a one playthrough game.

Once I get really stuck or finish a playthrough I'll follow a guide for everything else because my intelligence is worse than pudding. Somethings I'll just look at the trophy list and try to figure stuff out when I feel smarter but it usually doesn't go very well.

What order I do the trophies is usually depends on where I am in the game. I usually do a trophy as soon I can or have the optimal setup to get it. If the game has me romancing characters, I'll do the person I like first (Thane Krios (if possible)), then I'll romance everyone else depending on how much I like/don't hate them. 

If a game has both single and multiplayer trophies, I tend to do the multiplayer first because I'm always terrible at multiplayer (with the soul exception of Mario Kart) and I don't want to feel awful when I get the platinum. When I play multiplayer only games I usually don't focus on trophies at all and let them happen naturally.