Realistic games that goes beyond what is OK on PS?

A-Rebirth

I'm wondering if there are like any horror games out there on Playstation (released or unreleast) that goes beyond the line of what is being OK. I mean games... like horror games or action games that are so violent, raw and realistic they might been forbidden, or Sony did not permitt it too be released or that it was made for a short time so it just got a few releases. I mean discusting for real... When we see games like GTA or god of war we see a good portion of fiction. You wouldn't get flashbacks when you sleep after playing GTA. Would you? Are there games that reflects war, rape, homocide etc. on a very real, raw and very insensitive way? Maybe there are such games on PC (I assume) but what about Playstation? Has it ever existed? What games did got totally rejected on Playstation for their relalism? Only GTA got controversy?

EDIT: Also I'm not just interested in what games there are... also like if there are some kind of  backstory to it. Like if their was some new laws, if people made some protests. What was the consequeces for the game studios etc. Did anybody criminal like terroist blame those games etc.? Did that game change gaming history? etc.

Edited by A-Rebirth

4 minutes ago, Martain2 said:

Familiar with the history of Manhunt and Manhunt 2?

No but I just found this list by Google "Manhunt playstation"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_banned_video_games

Wow... some of these games seems to be really bad. Worse than I expected...! Seems like Playstation has a quite familly friendly community compares to PC afterall. Which could be a very good thing. 

Edited by A-Rebirth
  • Like 1

Some of the games that Sony has censored lately definitely fall under that. I know people around here like to act like it's all unjustified censorship but some of it is undoubtedly justified.

BTW, asking for rape simulators then stating that you yourself don't want them, doesn't at all help the creep factor lol.

Edited by KingGuy420
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, KingGuy420 said:

Some of the games that Sony has censored lately definitely fall under that. I know people around here like to act like it's all unjustified censorship but some of it is justified.

BTW, asking for rape simulators then stating that you yourself don't want them doesn't at all help the creep factor lol.

Missunderstanding... I was not asking about rape simulators lol. I was thinking about all games that goes beyond the limit. No matter if it's rape, violence, horror or anything. I had no clue Sony did censor "real bad" games but it just comes to my mind that might be the case. I assume Sony don't want to have shit circulating around because maybe it would decrase their sales. I expect that. Parrents might not want to buy a PS5 to their kids if the new popular game would be like... Manhunt 3 or something.

The only recent game I can think of is Agony, where the developer removed multiple extreme instances of violence that were basically included entirely as shock value and served no major purpose otherwise. You can find a video online (iirc on Vimeo) showing what all the removed scenes were. 

I remember Splattehouse (not too realistic,tbh), and the previously mentioned Manhunts and Agony.

I also found some info on banned games in general, mostly due to cultural differences and/or inappropriate behavoir according to said culture.

https://www.gamesradar.com/top-18-banned-video-games/

It's mostly up to the region the game is being released. That's not to say the platform holders have no say in the matter, though. I remember some months ago there was the whole Rape Day debacle on Steam. There's a lot of coverage on that front.

Also I'm not just interested in what games there are... also like if there are some kind of  backstory to it. Like if their was some new laws, if people made some protests. What was the consequeces for the game studios etc. Did anybody criminal like terroist blame those games etc.? Did that game change gaming history? etc.

17 minutes ago, A-Rebirth said:

Also I'm not just interested in what games there are... also like if there are some kind of  backstory to it. Like if their was some new laws, if people made some protests. What was the consequeces for the game studios etc. Did anybody criminal like terroist blame those games etc.? Did that game change gaming history? etc.

Hatred is only one I can think of recently that had backlash and some protests. Also, while it wasn't banned, I remember back in 2011, a shooter in Norway that killed 77 people said he trained by playing COD Modren Warfare 2. 

There was going to be a PS1 game called Thrill Kill but it was never released. The game is 99% finished and can be found online. The game was never released because EA bought the company that was making it and decided to can the game because they didn't want to ruin their companies reputation. The game is like PlayStation All Stars: Battle Royal but really gory. The gore is nothing worse than Mortal Kombat or Man Hunt.

*Hyperdimension Neptunia MK2 spoiler warning*

During the bad ending of Hyperdimension Neptunia MK2 you have to kill at least 2 child* but the scene doesn't show anything gruesome. The game does include borderline child rape and normal; there are color full images displayed during those of the act in question. All the characters are fully clothed during those scenes but it's still disturbing to watch. I always skip through parts as fast as possible. Hyperdimension Neptunia MK2 was released in and only has a mature rating but it's the only Neptunia game to ever get that rating. The remake, Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 2 was released on Vita and only has a teen rating. I haven't played the bad ending of the remake yet but I can verify the borderline rape is still there.

34 minutes ago, NightRusticDawn said:

Weird was expecting South Park to be mentioned but nothing.

I think everyone has been so desensitized to South Park that nobody cares anymore.

32 minutes ago, skateak said:

Too comedic 

I don't get to mention this game much but Akiba's Trip: Undead and Undressed is game where you run up to any random person you see and strip them naked**. The game is very comedic in nature and a bit of a hidden gem on the PS3. The game is a lot like Yakuza and has some really funny writing; if you're into anime, Japan and games, I think you wouldn't have a good time otherwise. It's also a easy platinum. I also want to mention whenever you die in game, the cheerful music and tense action stop and all you can hear are your agonizing screams as you burn to death in the sun.

*Hyperdimension Neptunia MK2 spoiler warning*

Due to lore reasons I won't get into, Nepgear, Rom, Ram and Uni can possibly be over 18 but there is no evidence that ever states they are. To my knowledge, none of the characters have a official age. Rom and Ram are protrayed to be young children while Nepgear and Uni are protrayed as teens.

**In Akiba's Trip: Undead and Undressed, you can only normally strip a person down to their underwear. You can strip them naked after you learn the ability to do it and you have get a strip combo of 4-5 pieces of clothing. You need to be in a fight with at least two people to get a combo that high.

Edited by SixyLove
Bolded the second spoiler warning for consistency.

It's probably just a "me" thing, but something about the way the battle system in Metal Gear Rising (in addition to the thousands of other lamentable aesthetic choices made in that game that offend me in other ways; it drags the Metal Gear IP through the mud in the few remaining ways Metal Gear Survive didn't) works, in how you choose exactly how to slice people up like they're so many bamboo reeds, really gets to me on a deep, visceral level, almost to the point of physical illness. MKX can make me squirm at times, but not like this. Joker was right; there really is something different about edge weapons...

2 hours ago, A-Rebirth said:

Like this?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.polygon.com/platform/amp/2017/5/23/15681020/get-even-release-date-delayed

38 minutes ago, SixyLove said:

EA bought the company that was making it and decided to can the game because they didn't want to ruin their companies reputation.

EA? Not wanting to ruin their reputation? That's rich coming from them :D

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NightRusticDawn said:

Weird was expecting South Park to be mentioned but nothing.

1 hour ago, skateak said:

Too comedic 

Whu... what!? I always took it a face value, so glad I was to be able to play a real life simulator. Now I'm a really sad panda... :)

On a more serious note, imho, the Civilization, Tropico, Monopoly, etc. series should qualify: far too realistic!

1 hour ago, SixyLove said:

I don't get to mention this game much but Akiba's Trip: Undead and Undressed is game where you run up to any random person you see and strip them naked**. The game is very comedic in nature and a bit of a hidden gem on the PS3. The game is a lot like Yakuza and has some really funny writing; if you're into anime, Japan and games, I think you wouldn't have a good time otherwise. It's also a easy platinum. I also want to mention whenever you die in game, the cheerful music and tense action stop and all you can hear are your agonizing screams as you burn to death in the sun.

**In Akiba's Trip: Undead and Undressed, you can only normally strip a person down to their underwear. You can strip them naked after you learn the ability to do it and you have get a strip combo of 4-5 pieces of clothing. You need to be in a fight with at least two people to get a combo that high.

That game is hilarious. I don't usually play games like that but I had a ton of fun with it. It cracked me up. I got the plat for it and I highly recommend the game for a good laugh.

48 minutes ago, KennethMcCormick said:

Whu... what!? I always took it a face value, so glad I was to be able to play a real life simulator. Now I'm a really sad panda... :)

I apologize. I shouldn't have trivialized your passings. I hope you can forgive me. ?

• Like 1

Alice Madness Returns has gone pretty dark in my opinion. From what i remember (if i understood it properly) there was downright implied child rape and human trafficking of lobotomised people as sex slaves, brainwashing Alice and persuading her to be a whore by one of caretakers etc. Then there is Danganronpa 2 where there is implied necrophilla and Danganronpa Another Episode has incredibly dark pasts of those kids (physical a mental child abuse, child prostitution, drug abuse etc.). Then in Dragon Age Origins you can sell your cousin to be gang raped in one of the origin stories (city elf).