Games that minimize the need to consult a trophy guide or collectible walkthrough to platinum?

Im sure most of you who play a lot of games and have a large backlog are familiar with the need to be efficient with your time and the way you tackle a game you want to platinum.

Unfortunately, this often means following an annoying collectible walkthrough as you play through a game in order to avoid subsequent playthroughs or needless backtracking. Or feeling the need to consult a trophy guide at regular intervals to avoid missing a bunch of missable trophies or ensure you get the right endings. Or sometimes it means feeling obligated to start a new game on the hardest difficulty to avoid multiple replays, even if you’d typically start on a lower difficulty and work your way up in normal circumstances. We’ve all been there I’m sure! ?

But not all games are like this. Some games allow much more freedom during the trophy hunt, without making sacrifices of your time. For example, I’ve found games like Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry, and Ratchet and Clank to be very consistent in this regard, allowing you to just play and focus purely on having fun, with a little trophy cleanup at the end.  Most trophies can be figured out on your own or unlock naturally through the game’s progression, and collectibles are often marked on the map for you. Some other games I’ve played in recent months that had that same kind of freedom were Steep, Darksiders, Trine etc.

What are some of your favourite games and/or series with trophy lists that allow you to just play and have fun, without having to worry about trophies?

• Like 3

From my own games list:

• Horizon Zero Dawn is good in that regard. Nothing is missable and you can buy maps that show you the rough areas of all collectibles, meaning you never need to look for an external guide to get the Plat/100%.
  • The inFamous games do quite well in that regard as well (at least the PS4 ones, I’ve never played the PS3 ones but I think they’re the same) although there are story related choices in Second Son and I think both of the PS3 games that have trophies for each of the two possible options, meaning you will need a second playthrough for the Plat. Again though, you won’t need to follow a guide as it’s very obvious just from the trophy descriptions what you need to do.
  • Just Cause 3 the only thing you might need a guide for is to get the vehicles but there are some upgrades that help with that. Besides that you can kind of do whatever you please and still get all the trophies without worrying about it.
  • Mafia III you don’t need a guide as everything is obvious but there are some mutually exclusive trophies that’ll require two playthroughs to do. I hated this game though so I couldn’t really recommend it, but you may enjoy it more than I did. It just wasn’t really my thing.
  • The Spyro trilogy added an option to use Sparx to point to any missing gems, so that actually made it really easy to find everything without a guide, as all other collectibles are near gems. Mind you I think I knew where everything was anyway with his often I played those games as a kid.....

I play most games without guides and try to find everything myself (the major exception was Deus Ex: Mankind Divided as those collectibles are awful), but those above are the main ones I’d recommend based on your preferences. Normally once you’ve played a number of games though, you can kind of spot where collectibles are likely to be based on how they branch off the main path. Some are just a nightmare though and I don’t blame anyone who uses a guide for them.

• Like 2

Jak and Daxter TPL and the infamous games were the first to come in mind. I'd say most of the Ratchet and Clank and Sly Cooper games fall under this category too. Gold bolts are pretty easy to get once you have the gold bolt tracker and the clue bottles are easy as well if you just stop to listen for them.

A lot of people might disagree with me on this last one, but Okami HD is another nice game where I found 95% of the collectibles without even glancing at a guide. I still think to this day, that the trophy list for this game was perfect. No annoying trophies and you felt like you got the full experience by the end.

• Like 2

Sleeping Dogs, each one of the girls you can date unlocks one of the collectible types on the map.

Yakuza Kiwami 2 has an ability to show almost every side quest on the map, I believe only the ones that are locked behind minigames don't show, but you need the minigames for the plat anyway.

Gravity Rush Remastered has many orbs scattered around the map, and you can find way more than what you need to collect for the platinum.

Horizon Zero Dawn as mentioned before, also shows all collectibles on the map.

Edited by kanzenchaos
  • Like 2

God of War. Even if it has collectibles and all those things, I never felt overburdened with them, nor were they particularly hard to find. In fact, it was a pure joy 99.3% of the time. Didn't even consult guides for the bonus boss fights... took some losses, made some mistakes, but ultimate came out of it an intensely fulfilled and accomplish-feeling victor. I could have probably saved some, what, four-five hours with some guided help... but man, those were four-five hours worth spending. The same basic principle applies to, if to a lesser extent, Marvel's Spider-ManHorizon Zero Dawn, and Undertale, among others. Whether coincidentally or no, three of these games are among my top ten favourite games of the decade as well.

I"m playing Days Gone and it has a in game trophy tracker. Most trophies are straight forward and don't need a guide. I may once I am done with the stories for any remaining collectibles. 

Most have mentioned what I would say.

One recent one I played that I needed minimal use of a guide is Lego Movie 2 the Videogame.

Judging only from what I played, and omitting the pretty obvious Telltale Games, what jumps to mind are the XCOM games, and in the same vein Phantom Doctrine. For Honour seemed also pretty straightforward, and so did most AC games, Nioh, Horizon ("most referred to in this thread" award?), The Division, The Witcher 3, Secret Ponchos, Bully, the Batman series, Wet, Rugby ames... also, as @HaserPL and @Kristycism said, TLoU and Mafia III. Quite a lot in fact. Come to think of it, apart from some pretty strange hidden trophies and some vicious collectibles, most games I played were done blind or almost so (for the odd one, the Internet's still your friend :), wouldn't have found RDR's "Dastardly" or RDR2 "It's art" otherwise). Was pretty grateful for some guides, though (Bloodborne, Divinity, Persona 5, Teslagrad (yes, I know... just not my type of game), Uncharted for some very well hidden treasures/context specific trophies, ...)

• Like 1

If you want something new, Rage 2 is good for this, no missables and very straightforward kill related trophies with certain weapons and vehicles etc. The only annoying one is the 30 spy drones destroyed, but even that doesn't require a guide as they are a random spawn, and you can get an upgrade that gives a signal out when you get closer to them, in addition to them making their own buzzing sound. I haven't finished the main story yet but I've done about everything except some of the more grindy trophies, nothing that extreme though, and I've found 21 spy drones already without consulting a guide.

2 hours ago, HaserPL said:

For me it was The Last Of Us. After my 1st playthrough two days after the release, when I was playing on NG+ I got about 90% of collectibles. On my 3rd playthrough I got them all just by being curious.

Yea except you need to do a separate play through for each difficulty, which there are 5 in the base game...

Not what this dude was asking for unfortunately.

Not to mention,  it's very hard to get all the conversations Trophy without consulting a guide.

The Spyro Reignited Trilogy.

It's fantastic for just pop it on and play without worrying about Trophies,

as it's all about 100%ing all areas with a few rando thing to do in any given level.

Edited by AtomicAltruism
  • Like 1

I disagree strongly with TLoU the people mentioned. There are dialogues that you have to do entire sections if you miss them. The collectibles could be found with just searching, but that's with any game and it's not like they are super obvious either. 

LEGO games are pretty straightforward, minus the hard-to-find collectible once in a while. 

Fallout and Dragon Age are so long and have very little missables that I feel like just a quick refresh of the trophy guide before I start and then I'm good to go.

I also want to say the Batman games. Yes, you have to play on hard, but outside of that you can really take it at your own pace. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AtomicAltruism said:

Yea except you need to do a separate play through for each difficulty, which there are 5 in the base game...

Not what this dude was asking for unfortunately.

Not to mention,  it's very hard to get all the conversations Trophy without consulting a guide.

The Spyro Reignited Trilogy.

It's fantastic for just pop it on and play without worrying about Trophies,

as it's all about 100%ing all areas with a few rando thing to do in any given level.

Difficulty trophies are stackable - 2 playthroughs are enough for platinum. And no, conversations aren't hard if you don't rush the game and suck in the experience and atmosphere like a sponge.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HaserPL said:

Difficulty trophies are stackable - 2 playthroughs are enough for platinum. And no, conversations aren't hard if you don't rush the game and suck in the experience and atmosphere like a sponge.

Not True 1 play through on Hard 1 on Surviver then 1 on Surviver+, and that only for the Platinum if you want the 100% there are 2 more playthroughs. i took my time with TLoU believe me, but i remember missing out on two conversations the first was with Tess near the beginning of the game, she stands in a spot for around 20 seconds then the option goes away, the 2nd one was with Ellie after she gets the joke book which had the same thing happen.

you can't tell the ones you miss and if you miss one you have to start from scratch.

You had a different experience than most, so trust me when i say that you're gonna need a guide.

EDIT: The new Trophy guide DOES say the Platinum can be achieved in two playthroughs, so you were right with that one. 

i did 5 total B the W.

Edited by AtomicAltruism
because
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, AtomicAltruism said:

Not True 1 play through on Hard 1 on Surviver then 1 on Surviver+, and that only for the Platinum if you want the 100% there are 2 more playthroughs. i took my time with TLoU believe me, but i remember missing out on two conversations the first was with Tess near the beginning of the game, she stands in a spot for around 20 seconds then the option goes away, the 2nd one was with Ellie after she gets the joke book which had the same thing happen.

you can't tell the ones you miss and if you miss one you have to start from scratch.

You had a different experience than most, so trust me when i say that you're gonna need a guide.

EDIT: The new Trophy guide DOES say the Platinum can be achieved in two playthroughs, so you were right with that one. 

i did 5 total B the W.

I've played over 1000 hours in TLOU Online and I've completed campaign over 20 times, who knows better? 2 playtroughs are sufficent.

7 hours ago, HaserPL said:

I've played over 1000 hours in TLOU Online and I've completed campaign over 20 times, who knows better? 2 playtroughs are sufficent.

Those are just numbers. Platinum it "over 20 times" then talk about knowledge!

We're talking about platinums here not time spent.

You didn't get all the collectibles "over 20 times" you didn't do all the difficulties "over 20 times" you didn't do all the conversations "over 20 time"

Semantics mate, you're full of 'em.

Not to mention your response is out dated anyways as i said you were right about two difficulty play throughs, not three.

Lick your wounds and move on (stop being salty cause someone disagrees with you)

?

Edited by AtomicAltruism
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, AtomicAltruism said:

i did 5 total B the W.

I platinumed The Last of Us on PS3 and definitely had to use a guide for the Firefly pendants and missable conversations etc. But generally that was a pretty fun platinum that didn’t require too much trophy guide intervention if you were prepared and knew when collectibles were coming up.

I took advantage of the difficulty glitch as well and went straight to Survivor+ to avoid playing through the game half a dozen times. If not for that glitch, that platinum would seriously suck! I really enjoyed doing a second play through though as TLoU is a great example of a game where the experience in general is drastically different between difficulties. Playing on Survivor or Grounded forces you to play extremely tactical, utilizing stealth opportunities as much as possible and being extremely selective with how you use the limited supplies and ammunition available.

Going from easy mode to survivor honestly felt like playing a totally different game!

=====

Thank you to everyone for the suggestions by the way! Some of these games I’ve played, but many I have not. I just picked up Horizon Zero Dawn and Mafia 3 recently, both of which are suggested numerous times in here. Really looking forward to grabbing the Spyro trilogy too as those old 3D platformers (Ratchet, Sly, Spyro etc) tend to have great trophy lists in my experience. 

I’m really enjoying the recent trend we’ve seen with massive AAA titles being released with a fairly relaxing and fun trophy list. 2018 releases like Spider-Man and God of War are great examples of a perfect trophy list IMO.

Edited by dieselmanchild
  • Like 2

This is the very reason I have not bothered to plat any of the LEGO games I have played.  I don’t want to watch a video step by step to get all of the mini kit collectibles on each free play level.  If you are finding all collectibles without a guide, maybe I am doing something wrong but too high a risk you miss one or more and have to redo.  Tedious IMO for a kiddie game.

For recommendations, Telltale games and like you said Ubisoft does a nice job with collectibles where you can see them on your map like the Far Cry series.  Mafia III is a little repetitive but the trophies are good and the New Orleans setting and in-game radio is awesome.

This is the very reason I have not bothered to plat any of the LEGO games I have played.  I don’t want to watch a video step by step to get all of the mini kit collectibles on each free play level.  If you are finding all collectibles without a guide, maybe I am doing something wrong but too high a risk you miss one or more and have to redo.  Tedious IMO for a kiddie game.

By and large, for lego games you only really need to google where the Red Bricks are for the minikit (and others types) detectors. Then there will be arrows pointing to where the collectibles are. 

Edited by breakingthegreen
weird formatting *Double edit* couldn't fix it.

44 minutes ago, breakingthegreen said:

By and large, for lego games you only really need to google where the Red Bricks are for the minikit (and others types) detectors. Then there will be arrows pointing to where the collectibles are. 

Ha, oh yes, good point.  Not sure I got that far.

23 hours ago, KennethMcCormick said:

The Witcher 3

Gotta disagree with that one. 10 of the 25 trophies are missable.  I actually gave up on the platinum because of one of them (I missed a gwent tournament at the mansion which is never accessible again after leaving it, and it's not very obvious that there even is one at the mansion;  This caused me to be unable to collect 100% of the gwent cards).

• Like 1

Batman Arkham City, and to an extent Asylum. The Riddler trophies appear on your I game map if you interrogate the goons. Asylum you might have to look up where the map is first if you can't find it. Once you know the general location it's easy enough finding the actual trophies. The stealth challenges would be easier with a guide too I suppose.